Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jovial Cow posted:

I think Arsenal’s problems as much as anything now is the formation Arteta has them running. All the offensive patterns of play have to go down the wing where the sideline effectively functions as an extra defender. There is absolutely no threat through the middle of the field to the point where the defense doesn’t even have to consider the possibility. Then when arsenal do get it down the wing their only real possibility is a cross into the box where there is no longer a Giroud type player who is strong in the air. It’s all just seems deeply flawed. There needs to be at least a threat of a pass through the middle.

Yeah this is right. The formation Arteta has been using has made the defense better, which is cool and all, but at some point Arsenal need to score goals to get points and they’re not doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The Perfect Element posted:

Is Spain even a draw for top players anymore?

Yes.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Aren’t Real and Barca very broke? And far from dominating in Europe?

It’s been two years since one of them won, but Real and Barca won the CL five years running before that.

They’re still the biggest clubs in the world. They’re not at the top of their game right now, and I’m not certain what their financial situation is (or if it will matter given how politically connected they are), but it will take quite a long dry spell for them to go into a serious decline.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
So when mathematically can Arsenal slip into the bottom three?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

fat gay nonce posted:

I'm permabanned poster Lampardstomper58. i first started researching the heavy press when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "xG" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "3313" and "Bamford's the fulcrum" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "workload heavy" style of Leeds was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" Leeds to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Mickolution posted:

From a 2016 interview with Bilic, screenshotted so you don't have to click on a Mail link:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Ozil is an aging luxury player who plays in a position that doesn’t fit into modern systems and disappears for weeks at a time, but he should be making some sort of contribution to a mid table premier league team, and certainly one near the relegation zone.

I’m afraid to say that it looks like Arteta doesn’t have it. Arsenals squad is insanely unbalanced, but there’s enough quality that they should be able to finish comfortably mid table at least, and his insistence on playing a very conservative system based on sending in crosses to Aubameyang is seeming nutty at this point.

Leno said some things the other day that I can only track down in awful blog form now (https://arsenaltruefans.com/2020/12/bernd-leno-reveals-who-is-to-blame-for-arsenals-lack-of-wins-in-the-premier-league) but he listed a bunch of things that were wrong with Arsenal, and while he carved out Arteta from the criticism, everything he talked about is the manager’s responsibility, and it’s damning as hell itpo.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Ozil likely isn’t the answer to any of arsenals problems, but it’s kind of nuts to say that 15th place Arsenal shouldn’t at least be seeing if some use of him improves their results a bit if he weren’t frozen out.

Also Pepe is good.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Pepe probably just needs time to adjust. It's mental how people turn on big money transfers so quickly.

tbh he seems to have an eye for a goal and I suspect Arsenal would get a decent return from him if he got consistent playtime. He just cost entirely too much money.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The amount of absolute crap Arsenal have signed over the past five years or so is pretty incredible. Since 14/15, they've flogged money on:

Calum Chambers (€20m)
Danny Welbeck (€20m)
The first Gabriel (€15m)
Matty Debuchy (€15m)
Granit Xhaka (€45m)
Mustafi (€31m)
Asano (€4m)
Mhkitaryan (swap)
Mavrapanos (€2m)
Kolasinac (free but with crazy wages)
Torreira (€29m)
Sokratis (€16m)
Denis Suarez (€2.5m loan fee)
Saliba (€30m)
Luiz (€9m)
Mari (€8m)
Willian (free but with crazy wages)

That's almost €250m

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

your friend wicka posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Fofana_(footballer)

Then real question re: Saliba is not why we bought him but why he hasn't played at all. They were going to try and loan him back to St. Etienne again before this season but couldn't get the paperwork in order.

From what I’ve seen they were going to loan him out but it fell through last minute. Seems like he just isn’t good enough yet (and who know if he ever will be).

vyelkin posted:

Can you really blame Ozil's assists for declining over the last five years? He went from making passes to Giroud and Good Alexis Sanchez to making passes to Welbeck and Mkhitaryan.

Tbf they did pick up Lacazette and Auba in that time period so it’s not like there’s no one to pass to.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Strawman posted:

Torreira at least looked a bit better than most of the midfielders starting for you now, what happened?

It was really weird and I’m still not quite sure what happened. He looked really good when he got here and then suddenly he wasn’t being picked. He never really settled back in after that.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Big Nicky Peeps is Arsenal’s top scorer.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

fat gay nonce posted:

XHAKA WAS ALLOWED TO HAVE THE DOOR KEY

lol

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm all for dunking on Lampard, but has he really spent more than the Baby Faced Assassin? To be fair, I might be getting all my Woodward-era transfers mixed up.

I had to look it up and they spent a loving ton of money this year. It didn’t really register on me as it was happening.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The Athletic are saying City had three players test positive. I dunno what is required for quarantine, etc, but it feels like other teams have had to play under similar conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Blinkz0rz posted:

Didn't everyone figure that big clubs would be afforded a ton more leeway in terms of the number of players required to quarantine and whether they could postpone games?

Sure but whatever they’re doing they should be applying it equally across all teams, although I obviously don’t know what happened here.