Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jippa posted:

I'm trying to figure out who this picture of owen reminds me of.

fat lad from Full Monty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

If only Arsenal had a playmaker capable of those clever passes between the lines.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I always thought that Mourinho United were the best post Ferguson United. I know everyone was all upset about him but it's hardly got any better.

As a spurs fan though it feels strange going into big games not expecting it to bottle it like we always did under Poch

Look forward to quoting this in a year or two when you can't stand the sight of his miserable moaning loving face in his pre/post match conferences

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

I never got what the big issue was with van gaal, every couple of weeks the papers were full of 'crisis at old trafford' and then you looked and they were comfortably in the top 4 and unbeaten in their last 5 games

I mean yeah he massively fell out with everyone and was impossible to work with but that's all part of the van gaal experience

van Gaal went through what Ole's going through now, the only difference being Ole's class of 99 mates in the media giving him a stay of execution but it's either CORNERS TURNED or CRISIS AT OLD TRAFFORD whenever we win/lose a match. Van Gaal got jumped on immediately because we weren't winning matches 420-69 every week with blunder and thunder United Way with goals galore and counter attacking and *stares off into the distance ignoring the Ferguson 2010-2013 style that was poo poo to watch but won trophies*

It was horseshit Van Gaal got the sack when he did simply because Dourinho was looking for a job

e:

Spurs have exactly the sort of team that suits Mourinho right now, mature spine that will run themselves into the ground for the team (as they did under Poch) and the spending that he wants (so far). So long as that continues Spurs fans will have a good time of it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mickolution posted:

Gιrard Houllier us dead :(

poo poo

Also what the gently caress with the back end of this year and celeb deaths

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gervais is fine if he sticks to writing cringe comedy and stops thinking he's a stand up comic or a big twitter brain

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

"Troopz" and Barstool Sports Selling Arteta Out T-Shirts

lol

lol

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Oh good I am sure this will be handled promptly, proportionately, and not be a complete shitshow in all medias

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

kcer posted:

you get longer bans for missing a drugs test or pushing an official, you lot need to get real

if the bans were half as strong as the fa and club's rhetoric on racism, perhaps this poo poo wouldn't be getting worse year on year

Yeah, it's FA rules and actions that are making racism worse :rolleyes:

kcer posted:

it doesn't start and end with the players. there's a lot of players who've talked about their experiences with racism online and in-person, and if it takes a longer ban to use the profile of players to get the message across and change some attitudes then i'm all for it

This is the problem with policing words instead of context and intent. Labelling Cavani racist over this is absurd and is very loving "white man's burden". Giving him a lengthy ban does nothing other than send the message "careful what words you use". Applying SomethingAwful moderation tactics to the broader problem of racism seems limited at best.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 17, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

kcer posted:

gently caress off it is, he's used a phrase that someone has already been banned for. he's played more football in europe than he has in south america, he should know better, regardless of if you wanna label him a racist or not

more to the point i couldn't give a poo poo about his intent, he was wrong to use it and he and anyone else who might fancy using it need to know that

No, it's not.

Suarez got banned for following a black man around during a match saying racially charged things with racist intent for shits and giggles to get an in match edge. You're comparing that with an instagram message that had entirely different intent and context.

Foreign languages/cultures having nicknames/epithets based on physical appearance and considered acceptable isn't a good thing, but saying "they're the same thing" when they're clearly not and simplifying racism overall as "the FA's fault" is absolutely 100% bullshit. It's a societal problem and always has been.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

ozmunkeh posted:

Would you describe this, for want of a better term, political correctness as having gone mad?

You're coming at me with this when I'm annoyed that racism is being trivialised into something the FA are directly responsible for fixing and that harrassing a black man is the same as Cavani's IG post.

gently caress you.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

bewbies posted:

Sidenote: I wonder if there are any terms in English that are offensive in other parts of the world that I'm unaware of.

"I'm British"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

They take you to jail if you say that nowadays

About time tbh

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

greazeball posted:

This is a joke, right? It's a meta-joke about how all the Chels fans love racism and you're doing a bit? You didn't sincerely post this poo poo, did you?

There are people on this very page who have a problem accepting that some words and phrases are racist--imagine how impossible it would be to litigate intent. The rules are limited, yeah, but they have to be clear and enforceable. Also think about the ability of the FA in general to write rules that make sense and enforce them fairly and evenly--this poo poo has to be so simple that a child or a footballer or Mike Dean can understand it. It sucks that the first steps are only just happening now in 2020 and are this dumb and basic but at least these first steps are being taken and hopefully can be improved on even though I'm all out of optimism this year.

For those who maybe still don't get this whole anti-racism thing, maybe you would like to support the following charity with a Christmas donation this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9n_UPyVR5s

You misunderstand me re: the rules, I get lines need to be drawn somewhere and what not. What doesn't sit quite right with me is expecting a bunch of stuffy FA suits to do anything other than pluck at low hanging fruit like an ill advised social media post, ticking a "racism solved" box and carrying on, meanwhile folks like kcer can think "finally, something being done". You're right though, attempting to talk about it got me accused of "PC gawn mad" and then a Roy Chubby Brown tribute act barrelled in in the shape of Wooger.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vigil for Virgil posted:

"Guys you have to believe me. Source: I'm a racist"

I think, performative Woogers aside, we can refrain from calling someone this if they have a viewpoint different from "it is racist he is racist punish the racist".

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

fat gay nonce posted:

I'm permabanned poster Lampardstomper58. i first started researching the heavy press when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "xG" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "3313" and "Bamford's the fulcrum" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "workload heavy" style of Leeds was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" Leeds to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What do you add, Oliwan?

Somewhat loving jaw droppingly, more than you so gently caress off.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Less desirable is not a good term there OP.

Given pik deserves some benefit of the doubt I read that as missing some :airquote:

pik_d posted:

It's a reference to this. I don't actually believe that, if it wasn't clear.

yeah.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

After 14 games Arsenal last season were five points better off and in 8th, which this season would put them in 12th.

So that doesn't feel like a huge drop and more a steady decline of a club being neglected by its owners, but the 8 fewer goals scored already is the bigger cause for concern.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

TheRat posted:

I feel like Arteta thinking games are won by number of crosses atempted is some serious Moyes energy though, which would worry the poo poo out of me

https://twitter.com/ChrisWheatley_/status/1340963233063202818?s=09

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

the problem is every time he's been given the opportunity since his new contract he has made absolutely no effort on the pitch.

15-16: 35 apps, 6 goals, 19 assists, 65 passes per game (Wenger) (25 goal involvements)
16-17: 33 apps, 8 goals, 9 assists, 64 passes per game (Wenger) (17 goal involvements)
17-18: 26 apps, 4 goals, 8 assists, 70 passes per game (Wenger/Emery) (12 goal involvements)
18-19: 24 apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, 47 passes per game (Emery) (7 goal involvements)
19-20: 18 apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 46 passes per game (Emery/Llungberg/Arteta) (3 goal involvements)

Looks to me like Wenger wasn't doing bad for Ozil's output, Emery didn't rate him or make use of him as a playmaker, with Arteta doubling down on that.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 21, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

This aged brilliantly.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Phwoar imagine having them both

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

The amount of absolute crap Arsenal have signed over the past five years or so is pretty incredible. Since 14/15, they've flogged money on:

Calum Chambers (€20m)
Danny Welbeck (€20m)
The first Gabriel (€15m)
Matty Debuchy (€15m)
Granit Xhaka (€45m)
Mustafi (€31m)
Asano (€4m)
Mhkitaryan (swap)
Mavrapanos (€2m)
Kolasinac (free but with crazy wages)
Torreira (€29m)
Sokratis (€16m)
Denis Suarez (€2.5m loan fee)
Saliba (€30m)
Luiz (€9m)
Mari (€8m)
Willian (free but with crazy wages)

That's almost €250m

Don't forget the bumper new contract Ozil was given right before being frozen out lol lmao

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

God can you imagine wicka's wish being granted ending up getting them relegated

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Losing all the Arsenal posters from this thread would be hilarious.

All the EFL posters wondering why their thread is being posted in all of a sudden.

Don't worry they'll quickly make them feel at home with "Arsenal are poo poo" and "Farcenal" posts every week and in that thread they'll have that to look forward to for at least 3 seasons

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Chelsea are out of sorts right now but Ziyech, Silva, Mendy and Chilwell are not the problem. Havertz and Werner are the ones struggling and Lampard absolutely needs to figure out how to get them integrated into the side, but they're also young players in their first season in England

Chelsea's spending is pretty similar to Man Utd in that both teams had squads full of aging players, players that didn't fit, young players with potential, and flops. I think it's too soon to say who spent better, but I will point out that Chelsea sold Hazard and Morata, let Pedro and William leave, and will likely sell Jorginho, Marcos Alonso, Rudiger, Batshuayi, Zappacosta and Bakayoko. Those balance out the spending and also are transfers that pretty much everyone agrees with.

lol net spend

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The suggestion that Liverpool ever had the monopoly on oval office fans, or that their oval office fans went away when Klopp turned out to be more than a maniacal set of teeth, is funny

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

Thanks for the tweets

twitter football fans are morons is hardly news bov

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

lol congratulations on missing the point

No I got the point you were trying to make, that somehow United fans are now becoming bad because we're not winning things. It was a poo poo point, we've always had idiot moron fans just like Liverpool and every other club. They used to get laughed at and told to shut up in the corner of a pub but now they post on social media. For every unhinged United fan in those replies you'll find plenty of demented City fans, scousers and Leeds fans.

So, "idiot moron football fans on social media make idiot moron football fan posts" isn't really an own, it's sort of like sitting in a pile of poo poo while laughing at my skidmarks, mate.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

You talk about other fans sitting in a pile of poo poo while you support Manchester Pooshited. Curious.

:thejoke: you idiot you're not going to make me believe you of all people don't know what a skidmark is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

While funny, seeing United fans get excited about 21 is a lot less surprising than how many non United fans are already worrying about it. As funny and great as it'd be, it's going to take one hell of a Liverpool collapse for that title to go anywhere else.