Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Spoilers of persona 5 sorry don’t read if you care about the story for this dumb game:

The funniest thing was the whole pancake thing that gives away the “heist”. Like I had it stuck in my head that Akechi was full of poo poo the entire game but the game is so loving long I forgot exactly why he’s a lying turd, then they make out like it’s this awesome Kesyser Soze reveal. Nope, game is 60 hours too long. That’s all.

My big problem with him is that he's far too obviously the traitor for it to be some grand reveal

like no poo poo the guy working with the cops who just joined your group is the one who sold you out???? what???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The pancake thing was goofy as hell lol. The twists in P4 are kinda goofy too but they're handled a little better partially because the pacing is a hell of a lot better

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i actually liked (knuc don't click this, it's the last good part of the plot) the bottom of mementos and yaldabaoth stuff. it's fuckin stupid sure, but the igor switch was fun and summoning satan to dome god with a bullet made from the deadly sins is some good stupid jr[pg poo poo. my biggest thing with the script other than it being too long is tht they should have given akechi a more active antagonist role from the start. like, end of the third palace you get a cutscene where akechi reveals the fat yakuza dude ws working for him and 5th and 6th palace he's fuckin with you directly while he talks smack about you publicly, then 7th palace is his instead of this random politician. they needed to really play up that he's your foil, that's what makes great detective/master thief stuff cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i actually liked (knuc don't click this, it's the last good part of the plot) the bottom of mementos and yaldabaoth stuff. it's fuckin stupid sure, but the igor switch was fun and summoning satan to dome god with a bullet made from the deadly sins is some good stupid jr[pg poo poo. my biggest thing with the script other than it being too long is tht they should have given akechi a more active antagonist role from the start. like, end of the third palace you get a cutscene where akechi reveals the fat yakuza dude ws working for him and 5th and 6th palace he's fuckin with you directly while he talks smack about you publicly, then 7th palace is his instead of this random politician. they needed to really play up that he's your foil, that's what makes great detective/master thief stuff cool.

have you played Royal? It tries pretty hard to make Akechi work as a character better than he did in vanilla by giving him an actual confidant where you have to actually spend time with him/earn points and stuff, though it does not appear to have quite worked for knuc

The third semester (also knuc don't spoil this part) does a lot to make Akechi an actual character and more interesting foil for Joker by letting you spend time with him as he actually is. Not the fake nice-boy-detective Akechi and not the totally psychotic Loki Akechi, but the actual, extremely hosed-up-in-the-head kid that he is. And because he has the same wild card power Joker does, he's in a position to be proactive in the third semester's plot like Joker can and it's interesting to see the decisions he makes

it doesn't really try to play him up as the great detective chasing the master thief, which I do think is a missed opportunity (why have a big "phantom thief" plot if there's no cool detective nipping at your heels the whole time?) but I think Royal does try very hard to salvage his character

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 19, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I know the genius kid detective is a big trope in Japan but it annoys me sometimes lol. Naoto in 4 was done much better imo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i am legitimately not sure if i've ever beat ff12. i THINK i have? i always stop at some point in the endgame getting espers and doing hunts, but the story never interested me enough to think that much about the actual ending.
FF12 has a good story but there's such long stretches between story events that it's easy to lose the plot. Zodiac Age improves this, but it definitely gets derailed by sidequests at the end. If you ever want to experience the story, just use the fast-forward and don't bother with the side content.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a goddamn ghost stole all of my LP I hope this isn't permanent.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Harrow posted:

then again I think persona 5 is a better game than 4 so maybe i just have lovely taste in games

you definitely have poo poo taste if you think this

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The main reason why I'm skipping Persona Strikers despite it being a dream game of mine (musou + smt), is because I don't like any characters from P5. they're all so incredibly lovely and forgettable it's insane, lol

I mean I'll still play Strikers when it's severely discounted but the idea of going along with the phantom thieves for more epic forgettable adventures gets a major No Thank You from me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish there was an actual SMT musou, I want to have huge battles where I get to play as cool and weird SMT demons

also even though I like P5 better I think P4 is great and is a much much better-paced game. It has one main plot and then every story arc actually advances that plot. P5 doesn't do nearly as good of a job of that and ends up cramming its whole plot in at the end with a ton of bad exposition

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 21, 2021

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I just want a new regular SMT game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

well if SMTV doesn't get delayed then that'll be this year

I was really hoping to see something at the latest Direct but well

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Ann is sad in the beginning of the game because everyone thinks she's a dumb blonde bimbo. Then you do her social link and it turns out that she's a dumb blonde bimbo. Phenomenal character arc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kongming posted:

Ann is sad in the beginning of the game because everyone thinks she's a dumb blonde bimbo. Then you do her social link and it turns out that she's a dumb blonde bimbo. Phenomenal character arc.

Lol this was awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

writing team absolutely incapable of writing women like human beings made the phenomenal artistic decision of 95% of their characters being women

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Kongming posted:

lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kongming posted:

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kongming posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kongming posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kongming posted:

That’s why I romanced her.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kongming posted:

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I was trying to think of the other s.links to clown on but I literally can't remember anything about them. Meanwhile if you asked me about the Strength s.link in P3 I could tell you most of it fairly accurately after 10+ years

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

At the end of Makoto’s she decides to become a cop despite the whole game showing how corrupt the government is and how power structures fail to protect vulnerable people.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The characters themselves are fun and there are little moments and gags which I like (Yusuke being poor, Ann chomping on potato sticks and talking with her mouth full, the councillor being an absolute buffoon and salting his students in the face or bowing into the mic, Ryuji having the poo poo beaten out of him by the girls after they thought he died etc). However the story payoffs are few and far between or just loving confusing. Aside from Kamoshida, the only story beats that stuck were Futaba’s palace and Ryuji saving everyone in Shido’s palace.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I was trying to think of the other s.links to clown on but I literally can't remember anything about them. Meanwhile if you asked me about the Strength s.link in P3 I could tell you most of it fairly accurately after 10+ years

Non-party p5 links all have the same plot beats; someone more powerful than they are is blackmailing them and you have to go into mementos to stop that. that’s it that’s everyone in the entire game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The main reason why I'm skipping Persona Strikers despite it being a dream game of mine (musou + smt), is because I don't like any characters from P5. they're all so incredibly lovely and forgettable it's insane, lol

I mean I'll still play Strikers when it's severely discounted but the idea of going along with the phantom thieves for more epic forgettable adventures gets a major No Thank You from me
Samurai Warriors 5 is going to be better anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

P5 Strikers isn't actually a musou game anyway, it's more of an action-RPG with a bit of musou flavor. The actual gameplay structure is much more like a normal JRPG with a linear path, dungeons, distinct enemy encounters that you start like you do in P5 with ambushes, things like that

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Beat main p5 at 86 hours, wonder how long third semester is

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

About another 15-20ish hours depending on your pace

it's really only the month of January that's playable and it only has one dungeon + a new layer of Mementos, but it's a huge dungeon and there's a ton of story

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I might not actually finish p5...definitely wont do the extra Royal dungeon or whatever. I'm at the end, just "fought" a cup and went through the motions and realizing I was mashing through all the dialogue while peeping my phone. The bad guy is corrupt adults, not wait its one particular corrupt adult controlling everything, no wait its your annoying rival, no wait its society!!! actually, no it is a cup, no wait its Fake Igor gently caress who cares lmfao.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750365&userid=165473

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

:catstare:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

extremebuff posted:

sorry..but the game really loving falls off. i guess if youre an insane retard and enjoy grindy korean mmos youll love the postgame but, as sofia described it feels like a long con. you invest all this time and effort into learning the mechanics and developing a cool character and then the game goes "well actually youll be in a big robot and absolutely none of that matters" and the robot combat is incredibly simple to the point of being mind numbing, but you cant go back to being on foot because everything will take 20x longer

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

lmao every time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna play xcx so bad lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I wanna play xcx so bad lol

i need the switch to last another 7 years so they are so out of games they port xcx

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

what if its actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

what if its actually good
It's not. It has some fun elements, but it's constantly in its own way. It tries to do a lot and pulls off little of it, so whatever part of the game you're into there's going to be stuff stopping you from doing it.