Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

absolutely XI if she's not intimidated by it being a 100+ hour game, otherwise VIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

my GF loves JRPGs but hasn't ever played a DQ, kind of torn between playing V, VIII or XI first...thoughts? V is still my favorite SNES rpg but VIII/XI are undeniably huge, comfy games that I would also love to replay anyway...

I’d say VIII or XI to start with

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

In Training posted:

my GF loves JRPGs but hasn't ever played a DQ

be careful, sounds like a narc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

absolutely XI if she's not intimidated by it being a 100+ hour game, otherwise VIII

she played 100 hours of the FF7 remake to plat it so length isn't an issue lol. I'll prolly get the switch version then for Christmas or something, portable DQXI is enough of a bonus alone before considering all the extra crap they threw in

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I kinda want to replay FF7R again already even though I played it 3 times this year

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Also, the strongest jrpg character I've ever made was in Atelier Meruru where I spent hours synthesizing a set of equipment and accessories that let me make a character that takes turns in an endless loop. I still have the notebook with a couple of pages of notes written down with all the steps in the process and a ton of poo poo scratched out and it looks like a serial killer's ranting.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In Training posted:

I kinda want to replay FF7R again already even though I played it 3 times this year

Me too.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sivek posted:

Also, the strongest jrpg character I've ever made was in Atelier Meruru where I spent hours synthesizing a set of equipment and accessories that let me make a character that takes turns in an endless loop. I still have the notebook with a couple of pages of notes written down with all the steps in the process and a ton of poo poo scratched out and it looks like a serial killer's ranting.

we're gonna need pics

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Fungah! posted:

we're gonna need pics

On the subway today, a man came up to me to start a conversation. He made small talk, a lonely man talking about the weather and other things. I tried to be pleasant and accommodating, but my head hurt from his banality. I almost didn't notice it had happened, but I suddenly threw up all over him. He was not pleased, and I couldn't stop laughing

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

On the subway today, a man came up to me to start a conversation. He made small talk, a lonely man talking about the weather and other things. I tried to be pleasant and accommodating, but my head hurt from his banality. I almost didn't notice it had happened, but I suddenly threw up all over him. He was not pleased, and I couldn't stop laughing

lmao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sivek posted:

awesome

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Kongming posted:

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

in my own rpg adventures ive been enjoying FFV a bunch and rolling through the pyramid dungeon in the 3rd (final?) world. my party has looked like this mainly:
butz - Knight, Mystic Knight, Samurai
lenna - Hunter, Monk, Berserker, Time Mage
galuf - White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner
faris - Ninja, Thief, Dragoon

butz is a little boring since hes basically been 2handing a large sword since the very first crystal but it deals huge damage all the time still so i havent stopped. faris dual wielding lances while spamming jump is giving him a run for his money though

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

dual wield jump is so powerful, you can use it to kill one of the mega bosses in the final dungeon before he can react, it's a great combo

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I use Gamefaqs when I play jrpgs from the snes-psx era. I likehow stupid the writers sound while still being helpful. Beat Suikoden 1 100% now should get going into Suikoden 2

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

jrpg stands for good video game

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Thank god for ad block.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Might finish P4G this weekend. Kinda disappointed in the true killer reveal, but the games been a treat from the start.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

truly god's genre of gaming

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

used a bard for the first time in FFV extremely late in the game and good god its OP. bard + haste shoes + the stat boosters will let your other 3 annihilate bosses lol. sick game

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

In Training posted:

used a bard for the first time in FFV extremely late in the game and good god its OP. bard + haste shoes + the stat boosters will let your other 3 annihilate bosses lol. sick game

nearly every job in that game is extremely fun. ffv rules

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

In Training posted:

turning them all into bards at the trench ftw imo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

theres some really insane poo poo you can do with bard. like monks damage formula is based off of level so its normally kind of crappy, but if youve got bards with hero song playing you can get level maxed in no time and then each punch does a billion damage. also if you've got super big balls you can hide from telegraphed attacks, which is the fuckin coolest

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

turning them all into bards at the trench ftw imo

hell yeah. requiem ftmfw

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

just now rememebered edwin in BG2 bitching constantly until you did his difficult side quest to kill the lich or whatever and then it turned him into a woman and lold

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The final boss sprites in FFV are loving awesome.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

this

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
One of my favourite things about RPGs is that a higher number next to the name of an enemy means I will take an arbitrarily greater amount of time to beat it compared to a different one with the same model and AI. It makes perfect sense to me and gives me what I consider to the be the ultimate reward, 'progression'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
once I tried to play a jrpg (mario odyssey) but dropped that poo poo in the trash after the new york level. music too annoying, movement combos too hard to remember. just put more buttons on the controller

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

once I tried to play a jrpg (mario odyssey) but dropped that poo poo in the trash after the new york level. music too annoying, movement combos too hard to remember. just put more buttons on the controller

please do not post like this here

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Great poo poo as usual from the guy everyone hates in every forum he posts in. Bravo!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
no need for qualifiers

Spoderman posted:

please do not post here

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kongming posted:

Great poo poo as usual from the guy everyone hates in every forum he posts in. Bravo!

one thing's for sure about a 2005 reg with a clean sheet and two posts outside the video game subs: he knows his limitations

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

one thing's for sure about a 2005 reg with a clean sheet and two posts outside the video game subs: he knows his limitations

Shut the gently caress up and go away.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

go away moron

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

insanely brutal takedown only an expert '013 could wield.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

love to post where everyone constantly tells me to gently caress off imo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah you should definitely flame the guy with the clean rapsheet who is a good poster that everyone likes. This will surely end well for you.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

In Training posted:

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

love to post where everyone constantly tells me to gently caress off imo

all I have to do is open my mouth about Mario and the entire A/V club starts furiously humping my legs. good grief!