Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Numbers flying out of heads, skill trees that get maxed out before finishing the story and and open world are my RPG big three ftw mechanics.

:magemage:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

nintendo wins by creating an open world rpg... where you don't even level up

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
you can level up the stamina wheel in botw

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
used to play a shitload of rpgs as a kid. those were the days

come to think of it I don't know why I haven't played any in such a long while. unless dark souls counts as an rpg

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Klowner posted:

used to play a shitload of rpgs as a kid. those were the days

come to think of it I don't know why I haven't played any in such a long while. unless dark souls counts as an rpg

Numbers fly out of heads, you level up, and there's epic swords. Verdict RPG.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Numbers fly out of heads, you level up, and there's epic swords. Verdict RPG.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the greatest feeling in all of the lands is when you have unequivocally completed every quest, maxed out every stat, achieved the highest level, have all of the most epic gear, have every collectible, filled out every map, and you finally go and mop the floor with the ending boss of a good RPG.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the video game equivalent of getting a text that says "we need to talk" is when you go to beat Necrosaro, you hear the dragon quest "curse" noise, and the message display says "Sorry to inform you, but ADVENTURE LOG 1 has been erased."

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

Bicyclops posted:

the greatest feeling in all of the lands is when you have unequivocally completed every quest, maxed out every stat, achieved the highest level, have all of the most epic gear, have every collectible, filled out every map, and you finally go and mop the floor with the ending boss of a good RPG.

:discourse:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

they're okay but usually these days i don't want to engage with their stupid/bad combat systems and/or stupid/bad fantasy stories. also their too long

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

they're okay but usually these days i don't want to engage with their stupid/bad combat systems and/or stupid/bad fantasy stories. also their too long

shut up bitch

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003

mysterious loyall X posted:

you just cant walk into rpg’s very own thread and insult it like that, not cool man

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

As a noted tryhard, I love a good post-game RPG grind.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

elf help book posted:

jrpg gamers cannot fail, good releases every year and if theres not? theres surely some epic ps1 or snes game you havent got around to yet, or you can replay a 80 hour classic

western rpg gamers i dunno... a friend told me bards tale 4 made him throw up

with the god tier babes of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I had many great releases within the same month.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've been playing the new Siege of Dragonspear expansion for Baldur's Gate and I go between absolutely hating it and kind of liking it. Sometimes it's filled with terrible Marvel quip humor sometimes it's actually well written and genuinely funny. Sometimes the encounter design is insanely tight and takes all my resources and strategic might to get through and other times they just plop a horde of enemies down and you have to grind through it. Also there's numerous lore violations and all the cool ideas in the plot are obscured with D&D setting lingo you'd have to have read 200 terrible novels to be able to understand

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I have item hoarder brain in RPGs where I'll rarely if ever use any consumable in battle. Just collecting medium potions for all eternity.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

MP comes back... a potion is used up forever

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Me: Hoarding every potion, ether, elixir and megalixir in Midgar, never consuming a single drop.

FF7R Hardmode: Item use is restricted.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

Me: Hoarding every potion, ether, elixir and megalixir in Midgar, never consuming a single drop.

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I've been playing the new Siege of Dragonspear expansion for Baldur's Gate and I go between absolutely hating it and kind of liking it. Sometimes it's filled with terrible Marvel quip humor sometimes it's actually well written and genuinely funny. Sometimes the encounter design is insanely tight and takes all my resources and strategic might to get through and other times they just plop a horde of enemies down and you have to grind through it. Also there's numerous lore violations and all the cool ideas in the plot are obscured with D&D setting lingo you'd have to have read 200 terrible novels to be able to understand

yeah ive heard the BG2 stuff is better but dragonspear is just not good

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I was glad to find out that Yakuza 7 has a postgame dungeon that's level 99+. One of the first things I thought of when I heard that it was a JPRGlike was if you'd be able to optionally kill god at the end.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kongming posted:

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kongming posted:

lol

the opposite is saying "hm, should I use this megaelixir at lavos? No, there might be another fight" and then seeing "New Game +"

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

American McGay posted:

I have item hoarder brain in RPGs where I'll rarely if ever use any consumable in battle. Just collecting medium potions for all eternity.

this is why slay the spire is so hard for me

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

this is why slay the spire is so hard for me

I've died so many times with a full potion bar lol.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kongming posted:

Hard mode was so good. It really felt like the game was balanced around it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’m not really a jrpg gamer but the exception is tactical rpgs. the whole final fantasy tactics series, tactics ogre, even that iphone game that squenix made where the characters were generated from the songs on your device, all extremely my poo poo.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Tactical RPGs ftw

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Same its a sickness

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

potions are for killing elites/bosses in sts, not to save for emergencies

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Hard mode was so good. It really felt like the game was balanced around it.

im mentally preparing myself to do this when it comes to pc

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

little munchkin posted:

my brain is not capable of this

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

little munchkin posted:

hell bust em out against the 3 bird group on floor 2 or the triple lizard combo that i always get right before the act 3 boss fuuuu

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

the gamble of saving your money and waiting for the next town after, or even better, finding a even better sword in the nearby dungeon. oh baby

ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

they should put jobs in FF7R-II

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Kongming posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

equipping Cloud with Dancer to gain entrance to Don Corneo's new mansion

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

yes! yes!!

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Star Ocean: The Second Story had one of the greatest secret dungeon/secret endboss combos of all time. Instead of doing all the secret content and crushing the end-boss, you got an amulet that unlocked his true potential and he became a loving god

Also seconding tactical RPGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my GF loves JRPGs but hasn't ever played a DQ, kind of torn between playing V, VIII or XI first...thoughts? V is still my favorite SNES rpg but VIII/XI are undeniably huge, comfy games that I would also love to replay anyway...