Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I played Dragon Quest 3 again the other week. There aren't many RPGs that are more RPG than that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

which version? I like the game a lot but I always seem to lose steam when I get to the underworld. I think I've made it all the way to zomas castle twice and quit

This time it was on Switch. I got as far as the end of the post-game superdungeon and Xenlon kicked my rear end so I decided I was done

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There exists an additional Persona game: "Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bravely Default 2's abundance of side quests makes me think it's a good fit for my preferred style of playing JRPGs: very slowly

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Don't forget that Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is also a Persona game, despite having virtually nothing to do with either of the series that are crossing over in it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ah, I see. Bravely Default 2 has a cross between Reversi and Triple Triad

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fungah! posted:

hell YES. are there any rewards for doing it

Early on you can get an entire optional job, but I don't know about beyond.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i have really limited JRPG experience and I'd like to play something with good writing and characters. Does anyone have any favorites on PS4 or Switch?

Bravely Default 2 is impressing me on this front.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish I liked Octopath Traveler better than I did. I got over halfway done and just stopped caring.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UGQNEynJNM

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mobile/Switch version has a contemporary localization, if you like that.

SNES, GBC, mobile, and Switch all use modern numbers that make it easier than the NES version. In fact, all modern versions are based on the SNES release.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Virtually all JRPGs are improved by the option to pay them portably, so I say the Switch version.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Out of all possible reasons to dislike Dragon Quest, I was not expecting to see "it's too hard."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Recently I decided to check out how well my computer could handle Dolphin, and one thing led to another, and, well, it turns out I accidentally started a full playthrough of Skies of Arcadia.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they ever make a sequel, they should allow travelers to comment on each other's stories in a less limited way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It has party chat, just in a way that sucks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ultima Blade and HP/MP Converter is a combo so powerful as to render all others irrelevant. Surpassing Power is necessary. Include Bloody-Minded and Counter-Savvy to make it safer. Similarly, a Freelancer with Sub-Job Specialty 2 and Sub-Job BP Saver can spam BP Bump and Mimic to give the whole party more BP than they can use.

But if you're asking about combos you can access before endgame, I always felt like I got the most value out of really simple ones. For instance, sticking Sub-Job BP Saver on someone so they can spam strong BP moves like Body Slam or Pressure Point is great since it doesn't take any setup; combine with Spearhead and you'll never spend any resources on a random encounter again. The Gift of Courage with Sub-Job BP Saver on somebody fast lets you get some leverage over the action economy way earlier than you'd normally be able to, especially on a character with some sort of BP generation like Fluid Flow. Fast Hands and Godspeed Strike go together very well, as you can imagine, and remains one of the strongest offensive options available to you for a long time.

I was never able to get magic to scale as well as physical attacks, but there's clearly some potential there. You could build your whole party to be constantly healed by Arcanist spells while using High-Velocity Spells to bypass enemy immunities, or use Nuisance (via Sub-Job Specialty 1) together with Rewarding Results and Status-Conscious (plus Epic Group-Cast) on a Black Mage to get continuous extra actions and keep the enemy locked down with status effects.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

extremebuff posted:

i think voice of cards is gonna own. im hoipe

The demo immediately sold that game to me. Just incredibly chill presentation the whole way through. Hope the full version is more challenging, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

extremebuff posted:

voice of cards is out now, just grabbed it. was really impressed with the demo, cant wait to sink some time into it this weekend

It's good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What's your favorite scenario to start with in Live A Live.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Currently, my favorite is the present day scenario, because that is the only one I have ever played. This game owns

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Leadthumb posted:

I want to play DQV, which version is the good one?

DS if you can get it, but it's expensive, and the mobile version is equivalent if you can tolerate touch controls.

...but is it art?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Whenever I'm not playing Unicorn Overlord, I'm thinking about Unicorn Overlord. Please send help. The help I need is with discharging my other obligations so that I can spend more time playing, obviously

...but is it art?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every region has 5 treasure maps.

...but is it art?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's hard not to see 6 as a prototype for the masterpiece 7, since its most notable aspects (its extreme bigness and the gradual, unconventional unfolding of its plot and mechanics) were outdone by its successor. But the very things often seen as its weaknesses are actually the reasons why it owns. Neither 6 nor 7 is for one who is hesitant. 3, 5, 8, and 11 are the more approachable crowd-pleasers, which may help you overcome such hesitation if you experience it.

...but is it art?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, the reason to go with wands would be to equip shields, not to make her healing spells imperceptibly stronger.

...but is it art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The intermissions would be better if you did them immediately before (or, for that matter, immediately after) encountering each of your buddies. In the original version, the impact of going directly from the end of Act 1 to the Last Bastion / Heliodor scenario is so drat good, and it's strengthened by not knowing if the rest of the world is even more hosed up or what.

...but is it art?