Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'll cop to the fact that my first, knee jerk thought about that Star Trek clip was "well this is UNREALISTIC, it's the fuuuuuuture!"

But almost immediately after I realized "No, it isn't. Not for us."

That's the point. The show is written to be broadcast to current humans. Strict narrative purity is a distant second to that. I've known I was NB for 10 years, many have known longer. Even more have presented and behaved NB without consciously labeling themselves that for longer (especially in alt scenes, come to my TED talk on NB activity in the 90s Goth Scene).

But for the vast, vast majority of the population, NB is a "new" thing. The reality of our, well, reality, is that people get exposure to experiences different to their own through fictional media, so it's unambiguously Good for this exposure. It doesn't matter, not even literally one bit, that it kinda doesn't make sense within the Trek universe since they "defeated" bigotry. That scene is for us, and for people to see us.

(Author's note: I have not actually watched any star trek since TNG and I don't really like anything except TOS, so apologies if my trek lore is off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wish this conversation was happening in the Modern Trek thread because we really need a new thread title and I bet yall would have some gems

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tarkus posted:

It's acting, they can play whatever they're comfortable with.

They can, but should they? People have brought stuff like this up as problematic when it comes to actors playing something outside of their religion, race, physical or mental abilities. Someone would probably get up in arms about it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Also, Anthony Rapp always looks like a smug jerk, I wouldn't harsh him to much for that scene. He's working with what he's got. He's a generally really cool guy I've heard

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

dicks

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

sigher posted:

They can, but should they? People have brought stuff like this up as problematic when it comes to actors playing something outside of their religion, race, physical or mental abilities. Someone would probably get up in arms about it.

I think the difference here is that it's okay since he originated the role. That's my opinion.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

They're delicious, when one is in the right mood

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Simone Magus posted:

I think the difference here is that it's okay since he originated the role. That's my opinion.

this feels like a valid loophole

also, I think the main reason people get up in arms over people being cast outside their race/religion/what have you is that the person being cast over the right stuff is always a cishet white person, at least in america

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

alexandriao posted:

That's pretty interesting because I read it as "conversion therapy bad". Like while Picard is the moral center of the show, we see the entire episode framed from Riker's perspective.

I think the episode was bungled in that aspect. They kind of were trying to say "we have to respect every individual civilization's own culture and stuff" but you can't really do that when the civilization doesn't respect its own people's individuality. It's a sort of catch-22.

Also, Riker gives Troi a full on lip-smooch after he tells her he's wanting to date Soren, which is like yo what, who does that

edit: This speech was pretty good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMqGlSjAbwA

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 4, 2020

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

RFC2324 posted:

this feels like a valid loophole

also, I think the main reason people get up in arms over people being cast outside their race/religion/what have you is that the person being cast over the right stuff is always a cishet white person, at least in america

Oh for sure. Gay actors play straight all the time, for example, and I'm struggling to think of a time that has ever been contentious.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RFC2324 posted:

So is it only bad if a white person does it? Honest question.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Who would Elliot Page play in Star Trek? Wil Wheaton's character?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Video Nasty posted:

Who would Elliot Page play in Star Trek? Wil Wheaton's character?

Your dad.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I don't recall that episode. Was he a red shirt?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sigher posted:

There's a representation issue. There are way more trans/nb actors and media workers than spots available for trans/nb characters, and a considerable number of said spots are taken by cis people. And then when you consider cis characters, that number just plummets even further. While Elliot was already present in the industry, his presence helps normalizing it.

A black 007 would be nice into normalizing the idea that a black person can fit inside the "smooth elegant" view of the 007esque in the imaginary, while ScarJo doing Ghost in the Shell... I mean, she was fine and all but all it should be obvious why people were frustrated.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Elentor posted:

There's a representation issue. There are way more trans/nb actors and media workers than spots available for trans/nb characters

Exactly. If Hollywood weren't dominated by cis roles it would be different.

Also, there's often a bias against casting an out gay person to play a straight role; it used to be box office poison. So if you say that cis people can play gay but gay rarely play cis, that obviously is giving an entire segment of actors an advantage they don't even need

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Isn't there a black woman in the new 007 who plays another 00 agent? Pretty sure that's in the trailer (lol watching movies in 2020)

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

AHH F/UGH posted:

Isn't there a black woman in the new 007 who plays another 00 agent? Pretty sure that's in the trailer (lol watching movies in 2020)

Yes. They might not own a TV.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Also what about Eddie Redmayne? He's a cis white straight guy but he won the oscar for The Danish Girl. I never saw it but I heard it was good. Anyone seen it?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

AHH F/UGH posted:

Also what about Eddie Redmayne? He's a cis white straight guy but he won the oscar for The Danish Girl. I never saw it but I heard it was good. Anyone seen it?

His weird alien face bothers me, but he was surprisingly good in Trial of the Chicago 7 (though not nearly as good as Borat Hoffman or Frank Langella)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

AHH F/UGH posted:

Movie sucks

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm not LGBTQIA myself, but I had a visceral sort of aversion to that oscar win. The Oscars are voted on by Hollywood and giving it to a film about a transgender person portrayed by a cisgendered white guy felt like a parody of people clapping themselves on the back

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TheAardvark posted:

I'm not LGBTQIA myself, but I had a visceral sort of aversion to that oscar win. The Oscars are voted on by Hollywood and giving it to a film about a transgender person portrayed by a cisgendered white guy felt like a parody of people clapping themselves on the back

I mean, Hollywood IS a bunch of liberals

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

When British TERFs talk about trans women they seem to be stuck on this sort of comedy image and cannot move past it. They are literally picturing this person walking into their bathroom and reacting in horror.

From a few pages ago but this image is so funny to me because I know a bunch of cis women who love dressing in this style, and go nuts over big neon coloured hair, puffy dresses and heaps of makeup. For them it's the most 'womanly' thing imaginable. It only just occurred to me that there are people out there who might mistake them as trans for being performatively feminine in their appearance.

To clarify, they don't literally wear polka dot aprons whenever they go grocery shopping, but they don't shy away from bright colours and materials.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AHH F/UGH posted:

p. sure she's the new 007

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Elentor posted:

A black 007 would be nice into normalizing the idea that a black person can fit inside the "smooth elegant" view of the 007esque in the imaginary, while ScarJo doing Ghost in the Shell... I mean, she was fine and all but all it should be obvious why people were frustrated.

Would a fat white american male fit into 1000 and 1 Arabian nights because god dammit I want that ideal to fit that in there?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Arabian NUUUUuuuuuUUUUuuuts, just bust in some BUUUUUuuuuuUUUUuuuutts, dicks harder than rocks, just sleek sexy cocks, out there in my pooOoooooOoon.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Ernest Cline is definitely a modern day Scheherazade, yes

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sigher posted:

When the privileged class push out minority actors who could otherwise play the minority character, it's bad, yes.

AHH F/UGH posted:

No. Cis Men should never, ever play a transgender woman. Cis women should never, ever play a transgender man.

E: Lmao was that you Bloop? You're a loving baby, you absolute sook. Nice work on the gendered insult too, you performative dumbass.

Miss Broccoli fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 4, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Elentor posted:

There's a representation issue. There are way more trans/nb actors and media workers than spots available for trans/nb characters, and a considerable number of said spots are taken by cis people. And then when you consider cis characters, that number just plummets even further. While Elliot was already present in the industry, his presence helps normalizing it.

How many trans or nonbinary characters are there that aren't represented by someone who's either? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I don't know what the full extent of the issue is with Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell, I don't know the source material well (I watched it 20 years ago or something) and I didn't see the film, but my friend said that the director of the anime didn't give a poo poo because of something about the body and soul being disconnected from one another.

Simone Magus posted:

Exactly. If Hollywood weren't dominated by cis roles it would be different.

Don't cis people represent most of the population of the planet and dominate all professions? Does it not make sense that most roles are cis characters? Or do you mean just rolls given to cis actors regardless of the character's gender?

Miss Broccoli posted:

When the privileged class push out minority actors who could otherwise play the minority character, it's bad, yes.

Does this happen a lot?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

sigher posted:

Don't cis people represent most of the population of the planet and dominate all professions? Does it not make sense that most roles are cis characters? Or do you mean just rolls given to cis actors regardless of the character's gender?

Well, that's an extremely tricky subject. Do you believe fiction should map into reality in a 1:1 manner?

If one were to propose a landscape of fiction which matches the statistics of reality, one presumes 99% of films would be footage of someone working at a regular job and there would only exist a few films about people or events that are actually interesting or noteworthy. And no superhero movies, which, granted, might be a good thing :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sigher posted:

How many trans or nonbinary characters are there that aren't represented by someone who's either? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

No one is writing these kinds of characters because it’s mostly white people writing about white people and then casting white people.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

sigher posted:

I don't know what the full extent of the issue is with Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell, I don't know the source material well (I watched it 20 years ago or something) and I didn't see the film, but my friend said that the director of the anime didn't give a poo poo because of something about the body and soul being disconnected from one another.

Hollywood is absolute poo poo when it comes to giving/making roles for asian people.

quote:

Does this happen a lot?

Oh yeah

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

sigher posted:

Does this happen a lot?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewashing_in_film

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sigher posted:

trans woman character in dallas buyer's club was played by jared leto (at least according to wikipedia, i haven't seen it just heard that detail)

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sigher posted:

Does this happen a lot?

Yeah all the time trans characters are played by cis people. Scarlett Johansson got incredibly defensive recently when people were like YO, its pretty hosed for you to play a transgender man.

I think you should watch the documentary disclosure. It covers trans rep in media really well, better than any of us idiots can in forum posts without doing the research the makers of that documentary have already done.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Simone Magus posted:

Well, that's an extremely tricky subject. Do you believe fiction should map into reality in a 1:1 manner?

CelticPredator posted:

No one is writing these kinds of characters because it’s mostly white people writing about white people and then casting white people.

I mean, you write what you know; I don't think people want to just shoehorn in certain characters they wouldn't be able to do justice for the sake of diversity. I don't think they should either, I don't think anyone should be told how to craft their art. If they want to include them, go for it. I do however believe that there should be more inclusion of trans writers and actors for their own projects off the ground which would be better representation than anything else.

Whitewashing I know well enough, but I meant specifically in regards to trans characters.

Pony Jabroni
Feb 27, 2016

one time my friend and i sewed together our own skirts and conspiracy t shirts and went to an olive garden at 9:30 AM and ordered six liters of wine and free bread sticks and it was the best day ever

Simone Magus posted:

(especially in alt scenes, come to my TED talk on NB activity in the 90s Goth Scene).

as an aside, i would absolutely love to go to that ted talk or at the very least read a very long medium post about it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

sigher posted:

I mean, you write what you know

No, you don't. Soldiers don't write war movies. A serial killer didn't write American Psycho. Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd are not, despite what the latter desperately wishes to believe, ghost hunters.

Writers are writers precisely because of their capacity for imagination and putting themselves in others' shoes.

Male writers don't exclusively write fiction in which everyone is male; straight writers should be capable of (and have, very often and with great empathy and skill) writing gay characters, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miss Broccoli posted:

Scarlett Johansson got incredibly defensive recently when people were like YO, its pretty hosed for you to play a transgender man.

As an addendum to this, the cis argument is usually "but she has drawing power, she's a big well known name", but it actually makes it a lot worse because trans people don't want you to think "Trans Man" and think of this: