Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
The Elliot Rodger incel rampage killed six people and that's a bad thing but it is important to note that he did not kill many more because the Alpha Phi sorority house he planned to hit locked their front door and after attempting and failing to get in he went driving and shooting elsewhere

Foiled by a door

As for Elliot Page he is very cool and I wish him well, the Trailer Park Boy he is. I'm curious if this is the secret technique the world needs to destroy the glass ceiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

He looks like he's done some HRT, that might affect his work but it also might make him uproariously happy, he'll deal with it

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Fartington Butts posted:

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about this. But I guess it was maybe, what, five minutes of screen time in the first season?

he was in 3 or 4 episodes in season 2, but given that that was filmed almost 20 fuckin years ago he played Lahey's child Treena

he's from Halifax, kind of a right-place right-time thing

Stex T posted:

Missed a great opportunity to call himself Diamond Dallas.

DDP is a lich who can and has risen the dead, you do not want to be on the bad side of BANG!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

33 is an okay age to start from complete scratch but he's not starting from scratch anyway. With his history of advocacy for our causes, he's no newbie.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

it needs a press release because it's cool and good, thats why

minimize it if you want but what he did wasn't easy

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

It's deeply unlikely that Elliot's partner and family and friends are going to be just suddenly learning about this from the instagram post.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

It was ancient Greece that the masculine sun/feminine moon stuff comes from, which is why certain English words developed the way they did. I don't feel like explaining it more.

Revins posted:

anyway good for him

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Transmen are cool and good people just like anybody else and I hope Elliot does continue to inspire people. Even with all his wealth and privilege he was still scared to come out and he had valid reasons to be scared.

"Transmen exist" should not be a controversial or surprising statement to anyone but to too many people it still is and having these sorts of celebrities in the public eye helps to change that. I don't think he will be the last.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Big Beef City posted:

You know I was reflecting on this topic when I heard the news and realized that there are far, far more trans or non-binary people in our society than I had ever anticipated.
There's certainly quite a few active on the forums, and many other online outlets.

I find the barrier of being online in the first place really does a lot to make people feel they can express themselves honestly in that way. SA has been known as a place with a strong LGBTQ+ community for at least a decade, and there are other online spaces I'm a part of where even with tens of thousands of people it feels 50/50.

I'm very fortunate in that I live in a place where it's unlikely that I will be killed for existing this way, but when I go to events, groups, classes or when I volunteer, it's much harder for people to be honest when it's real. That's why Elliot Page standing up in public and doing what he did matters.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Yestermoment posted:

If I were to undergo an awakening of self-identity, I would def decide on a name other than Elliot OR Ellen. I'd likely shoot for "Mr. Pretzel" or "Groteenis". If only because I'm an idiot and want people to readily recognize that fact.

A lot of trans people are just trying to live a normal, cool, non-dysphoric life for once, and sometimes we subconsciously choose the boringest names as a result. I know I'm guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

As long as I ain't getting slurred at I pretty much dont care

Different people have different takes though, and that's valid