Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Is it wrong of me to say who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

every time i see the name elliot page i think of that incel loser from a few years ago that killed a few people. i don't remember what his actual name was, but it was something like that

elliot rage

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Miss Broccoli posted:

Yes, because trans people are hugely discriminated against, trans men are basically invisible, and high profile trans people existing at all is huge, both as a role model to other trans people and as a Hey Yeah We Real gently caress You to the phobes.

I can't argue with that. I should probably have said "I wish we lived in a non-hellworld dimension where we could say 'who cares'"

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:thunk:

So i can buy a mechanical switchblade that shoots its blade out for quicker blading as too a flip blade/butterfly knife that needs physical force to come out at a greater risk for the user ?

How can this be!

Congrats to Elliott by the way

Because scary brown men and young white boys who stopped going to Protestant churches were carrying them

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Booker Page would have been another good one

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I've got the perfect university for you Simone Magus

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Simone Magus posted:

It's depressing that I just know they don't actually stand for any of those things without even looking it up

My ex girlfriend went there before transferring to a better university because she got a scholarship, she said it was exactly what you'd imagine a cult university to be - no one gave a gently caress about the cult and were only there to party and sleep through history lectures in the morning.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

*richard pryor voice* now cis people, cis people be like

and trans people, well trans people be like

This is what happens when public schools ban prayer, people

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Caedus posted:

Absolutely this. Good job GBS, good job mods! I am happy field a million questions from people to whom trans stuff is new to, and I encourage it. I will explain what 'cis' and other trans terms all day long when they're coming from people who genuinely don't know, and would like to. I don't care how dumb you think the question is, if you're asking because you're confused and would like to not be, fuckin ask away.

What do you think of casual general gendered pronoun usage like “hey what’s up guys” or “what’s happenin dudes” when the people someone is talking to aren’t all men

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Boy am I sure glad I asked that question, holy poo poo

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Word gender is dumb as hell and I don’t know why it was even invented because like, who fuckin cares if it’s el carro or las frutas

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yeah those can gently caress off too, what a waste of time, just let all pronouns be something simple like “la” or something and self referencing just be “mi”, or whatever

It’s hard to believe that natural human laziness didn’t consolidate those gendered Romance language rules into more simple stuff centuries ago

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 3, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I really wish English had some kind of nongendered specifically singular pronoun that wasn’t they

I know there are some people who have used xhe but it would be nice if there was something more pronouncable

Again I’m surprised human laziness didn’t consolidate he/she into one word long ago

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

now that I am caught up: Star Trek has ALWAYS been about confronting bigotry

Well, that and people devolving into salamanders.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if that discovery scene had been done in tng some alien of the week would have misgendered them, gotten all huffy when corrected, and then picard would have given a speech explaining how humanity had moved past all that intolerant bullshit centuries ago

Well then have I got the episode for YOU!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yeah the overarching theme of that TNG episode I think was "don't gently caress with these people's thing because that's their call and not yours" which is kind of a positive thing in general but the whole forced conversion therapy thing was gross, but still kind of the right call in the end because hey that's the prime directive. Still, for the time it was a pretty interesting episode concept even if they probably didn't go far enough in exploring the consequences.

If you want a really bad episode with a similar theme, The Orville had a child sex reassignment episode but they completely bungled the whole thing

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 4, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

alexandriao posted:

That's pretty interesting because I read it as "conversion therapy bad". Like while Picard is the moral center of the show, we see the entire episode framed from Riker's perspective.

I think the episode was bungled in that aspect. They kind of were trying to say "we have to respect every individual civilization's own culture and stuff" but you can't really do that when the civilization doesn't respect its own people's individuality. It's a sort of catch-22.

Also, Riker gives Troi a full on lip-smooch after he tells her he's wanting to date Soren, which is like yo what, who does that

edit: This speech was pretty good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMqGlSjAbwA

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 4, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Isn't there a black woman in the new 007 who plays another 00 agent? Pretty sure that's in the trailer (lol watching movies in 2020)

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Also what about Eddie Redmayne? He's a cis white straight guy but he won the oscar for The Danish Girl. I never saw it but I heard it was good. Anyone seen it?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This is truly a miserable thread.

Your posts were the only good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

......naht!!!