Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

snake and bake posted:

Online Freelance Task / Gig / 1099 Work

Fiverr: Sell your freelance services (art, writing, video editing, programming, etc)
MTurk: Amazon's marketplace for crowdsourcing tasks (research studies, image labeling, etc)
Prolific: academic surveys, similar to MTurk but pays better
Rev: Transcription and closed captioning
Appen: freelance projects, "micro tasks," surveys, data collection
Upwork: more skilled/professional level freelance stuff
FreeUp: similar to Upwork
Paro: accounting, tax and finance stuff
Stable Soapbox: (Australia) paid surveys and discussions

I have always been very deeply suspicious of these types of websites; do they actually work? they're about as transparent as the bottom of the ocean, and I can't find a single thing on any of these sites dictating allotment of payment and fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

alrighty, thanks for the answers! I guess I'll get my feet wet with it tomorrow and see what it's like

to be honest with you, I've never really done any kind of work like this before, so I'm just a touch worried I'm not qualified for any of this, but when you're desperate...

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

snake and bake posted:

You'll want to run an extension to help. I use MTurk Suite to help me search/scan for good tasks (called HITs, which I think means human intelligence task) and see red flags on bad HITs. I cherry pick based on the pay ($.10/min is my usual minimum) and the ratings of that HIT/requester, if there are any yet

how in the gently caress do you install this? I'm using Firefox

edit: forget it, went to use the older version instead, not loving around with building JARs or whatever

Victory Position has issued a correction as of 08:59 on Dec 2, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

applied, now waiting to hear back in about three business days, it says

looks like I installed the suite properly because that is what I see :toot:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

This isn't actually freelance work. If you're in the US, LB will hire you as a W-2 employee. I did this for a long time, even though I was making pretty good money at the time with my "real" job. It's typically a reliable $1000-1200/month. It's about as miserable as it sounds, but if you get reasonably good at it then you can pretty easily do the work while watching movies, playing games, listening to podcasts, or whatever. Since my regular work is/was remote, I used to do LB stuff while also doing other work. I think I'm still technically employed by them and I'd probably keep doing it if I had time, because it's an easy $12k/year.

well, applied for this too since that's more than what I made last year :shepface:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'll take barely over none, since the options are nil and not a drat thing right now

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

PawParole posted:

Which website is the best for jobs? I’ve been looking for a job for a while now, and I’m starting to assume that most job search websites aren’t incentivized to actually be good at getting people employed.

Companies just spam and don’t hire. At least you’d have to pay for newspaper placements, and therefore they’d try to actually find employees.

I've had a lot of luck on Indeed in the past and they do have to pay to list on there, so there is a bit of incentive for them to hire

soup to nuts that your state also has a jobs listing portal via its department of labor (or employment services) and that can be a place to check, though it can be completely crowded out by FAANG or other Fortune 500s since it's free to post to those boards

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

this thread is the troll my dude. anybody who needs the money to pay rent isnt going to make enough from this online bullshit, and even mentioning it as an option strikes me as predatory but whatever. it's like the online equivalent of telling people to go pick strawberries under the table.

this is how I felt reading it at first, and coming up, I'm sure to tell whether or not this is even worth the time and the effort

to the OP: are you out of work? waiting on more hours to come up? or is this something you just do on the side.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

snake and bake posted:

I'm glad that so many of the posters in this thread still live comfortably enough to look down their nose on people who are forced to do work for far less than they deserve to make ends meet.

The U.S. had at least 11 million unemployed people as of October (true number is higher of course, although I don't know how much). I'm sure they'll all be very glad to hear that, much like covid, unemployment is over. Jobs that pay a living wage are simply falling from the sky in every corner of the country, all they need to do is go find a fast food manager's hand and shake it.

On a related note, I wonder how many of those widely available service sector jobs are sudden vacancies left behind by previous employees who are now too sick or dead to work. Oh well, probably nothing to worry about.

this holier-than-thou crap can gently caress right off

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

little munchkin posted:

please gas this thread. the joke replies are 1000% more helpful then all the morons sincerely suggesting ways to earn below minimum wage provided you already have a gaming pc and a wi-fi connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

okay, you're just here to litigate your grudges