Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I met a man who posts on freep dot com,
He was headin' for,
Intensive, and he said 'twas all a lie.
From Intensive, folks are travelin'
Down to basement's chilly morgue,
From Atlantic to Pacific,
Gee, the death toll is terrific!

Oh there's no place like home for the holidays,
'Cause no matter how much you wish to roam,
If you want to be healthy in these covid days,
For the holidays, you stay the gently caress at home.

November chat thread here.

It's December! Only 25 days of conspicuous consumption corpaganda to go! I have no idea what I want for Christmas and only a vague idea what to give the important people in my life. Except Shima dice, because they're cool. Maybe I'll splurge and get myself something nice if I'm not totally broke after shopping for everyone else, like a ramped AR-9 bolt or an A1 upper that isn't out of spec in three different places.

In other news, Cyrano wants to replace the Roller Locks of Love gang tag. See here for details. About goddamn time, I say. HKs aren't even roller locked, they're roller delayed blowback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

It's me, the Surefire WML with the head removed to accommodate a janky VFG.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I have an Appleseed shoot on the 6th. I've been upgrading my Ruger 10/22 and I'm really excited this time. I did one last year at the same time too. It's a lot of fun.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

infrared35 posted:

It's me, the Surefire WML with the head removed to accommodate a janky VFG.

The perfect setup for when you need to illuminate your surroundings with the giant shadow of a foregrip.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mrs. T asked what I wanted for Christmas-Birthday, and... I don't know.

I kinda want a SAA in 44 mag, but only to go with my R92. I also kinda want a 357 levergun, but most of those are out-of-stock, and all of the ammo is out-of-stock, and even reloading more is almost a no-go at this point. And I kinda want a 45 so I can shoot the other rounds I have plenty of primers for. But... honestly, the current ammo and reloading situation makes me not want another handgun very much. And I really like the ones I've got. I would like a bolt-action rifle at some point. The 22LR ones are nice and cheap, but I kinda want one I can reload for. Something that's fun to shoot at 50 and 100 yards so I can develop a nice little load for fun. But again... what's the point right now?

I could always get some casting stuff and start making bullets that I can't load because of the run on guns. I was thinking about doing that anyway.

I do have my eye on some components to start the process of hot-rodding my Living Room Bass into something that's a lot less of a joke. I'm thinking of a Hot Rails humbucker to beef up the tone and output (and I won't have to change the pickup routing), and I've already got a new bridge. The tuners are cheap, but unlike a lot of cheap tuners, they actually work very well.

I think I'll lay some hints out there to see if I can get a Red Ryder. I think they put out a grown-up size one. In any event, I know that there's a documentary that details what someone who wants a Red Ryder should say to his loved ones to help ensure that he gets one for Christmas.

First world problems, I guess.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I found out the CARES act has some junk in it about tax free payment of student loans for you and your employer up to so much money and I forwarded the link to my company finance manager and she was hella pumped about it. Hopefully they'll pay off some of my debt (they probably won't).

Here's a link: CARES act stuff

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

We have been extremely fastidious about social distancing. We work from home, homeschool the kids, get most things delivered, and wear masks every second we have to leave the house.

My 5 year old woke up last night with body aches, headache, congestion, and a slight fever. We took him to get a covid test today and I'm freaking out about it. Now to suffer for the next 72 hours until results come back. They said that any other year they'd say, "sounds viral, cold/flu or something. Take meds and stay home a few days", but of course circumstances are different now.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

canyoneer posted:

We have been extremely fastidious about social distancing. We work from home, homeschool the kids, get most things delivered, and wear masks every second we have to leave the house.

My 5 year old woke up last night with body aches, headache, congestion, and a slight fever. We took him to get a covid test today and I'm freaking out about it. Now to suffer for the next 72 hours until results come back. They said that any other year they'd say, "sounds viral, cold/flu or something. Take meds and stay home a few days", but of course circumstances are different now.

Hope the test comes back with good news.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Ah poo poo canyoneer. I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts.

Got an email this evening, I've received a scholarship to take another course next year. This one is in Engineering and Brewery Maintenance. Time will tell if it's remote or if I'm flying back to Madison, but either way I'm extremely pumped.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

We've been through that with our kiddo twice. It's nerve wracking and sucks, but that's the protocol now. Hopefully your little tyke is fine

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Good luck with your kiddo

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Sorry to hear that, but I hope and assume it's not COVID. Have you tried to see if the kiddo can smell stuff? It sucks waiting to find out if your kid is OK. I have an 11 YO and a 6 YO, and since I had the older one there has been like maybe one year that I didn't wind up in urgent care or the ER for something or other for one of them. I have learned to mostly chill because kids are resilient as hell and even when the advice nurse tell you that you really need to bring them in you almost never really needed to.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, hope your kid is fine and it turns out to be a gnarly cold or the flu.

therobit posted:

Sorry to hear that, but I hope and assume it's not COVID. Have you tried to see if the kiddo can smell stuff? It sucks waiting to find out if your kid is OK. I have an 11 YO and a 6 YO, and since I had the older one there has been like maybe one year that I didn't wind up in urgent care or the ER for something or other for one of them. I have learned to mostly chill because kids are resilient as hell and even when the advice nurse tell you that you really need to bring them in you almost never really needed to.

This part is important, and it may be easier to test for taste with a favorite snack or dessert, since we're talking about a 5 year old. It's such a distinct and otherwise uncommon symptom of other viruses that, while it's not as definitive as an actual test, may help you put your mind at ease while you wait for results.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I only lost my smell/taste for one day when I got it, and my folks neighbor who currently has it has yet to lose hers. A cursory glance says it's something like 20% of those infected don't ever experience that symptom.

Really hoping the best for your kid!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

canyoneer posted:

Hang in there, man. I canít imagine the stress of worrying about a child, but Iím sure your child is lucky to have you in their corner getting them care.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Oh dang, good luck to you and your kiddo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Continue to keep safe as many states enter or re-enter very high to record infection and death rates.

https://twitter.com/covid19tracking...9108661248?s=21

Stats playing catch-up to holidays as is typical.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Grimey Drawer

North Dakota's COVID rate is now at 1/800th of its population.

Deaths, not infections.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mlmp08 posted:

Continue to keep safe as many states enter or re-enter very high to record infection and death rates.

https://twitter.com/covid19tracking...9108661248?s=21

Stats playing catch-up to holidays as is typical.

Thanksgiving just happened so we'll start seeing death rates climb in about 2 weeks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm starting to wonder if we should be more or less concerned about holiday gatherings (Christmas, Hanukah, etc.) than Thanksgiving. Will people have gotten it out of their system, will people see the anticipated spike in infection/mortality rates and give up on the idea, or will it be full steam ahead?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Thanksgiving ainít poo poo compared to Christmas. Shopping, seeing family, seeing friends, going to restaurants.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Christmas covid going to catch the alley-oop from thanksgiving for a slam dunk on the midwest.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Travel was down ~50% over thanksgiving. And reporting drops during holidays. So data can get noisy and catchup can read as holiday-induced cases rather than holiday-induced backlog of reporting.

Thatís not good news per se, just that we canít look too much at holidays as the cause rather than everyday life.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm starting to wonder if we should be more or less concerned about holiday gatherings (Christmas, Hanukah, etc.) than Thanksgiving. Will people have gotten it out of their system, will people see the anticipated spike in infection/mortality rates and give up on the idea, or will it be full steam ahead?

Absolutely not. People haven't cared since it began and over a quarter million people are dead.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Thanksgiving ain’t poo poo compared to Christmas. Shopping, seeing family, seeing friends, going to restaurants.

AAA estimated 50 million people traveled for Thanksgiving. That's the big "go see the family" holiday of the year.

mlmp08 posted:

Travel was down ~50% over thanksgiving. And reporting drops during holidays. So data can get noisy and catchup can read as holiday-induced cases rather than holiday-induced backlog of reporting.

Thatís not good news per se, just that we canít look too much at holidays as the cause rather than everyday life.

AAA said Thanksgiving travel was only down 10% from 2019. Those may have been predictions before Thanksgiving though. I can't remember.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

That’s not good news per se, just that we can’t look too much at holidays as the cause rather than everyday life.

I appreciate your optimism.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Travel was down 50% year over year - as in half of the normal Thanksgiving travel happened. IIRC that was also just air travel. I think I saw somewhere that the total decline was more like 35% when you factor in cars, or I could have just seen a different set of data that measured it differently.

Either way the fact remains that the decline was relative to normal, non-plague holiday travel. Within the context of COVID it was a loving massive spike in travel, and doubly so in long distance travel, and triply so in air travel.

You're right that the holidays aren't the sole cause, but they're sure as gently caress going to throw a bucket or five of gasoline on an already raging house fire.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think a LOT of it depends on how the next 2-3 weeks go. We're lucky in that the amount of time between Thanksgiving travel and Christmas travel is almost exactly what it takes for someone to get really loving sick from this. With any luck* we'll have some very high profile, very highly publicized stories about people going to visit their grandparents on thanksgiving and killing all four of them plus an aunt with COPD or something and we'll see people begin to take seriously the fact that hanging out with your elderly parents isn't a good idea right now.

Basically the sentiment expressed in yesterday's installment of "Depressing comic week" at Cyanide and Happiness:

I get the desire to travel and see family. I see my parents every Christmas. I haven't seen them in almost a year now (we were going to meet up this summer but, well, covid), and I'd love to. The thing is that I would also like to see my mom and dad every so often for at least another 15 years, if not more, so I really don't want to loving kill them with the plague. See also: the 90 year old grandma that I really wish I could have seen her on her birthday this year. Or the relative who died of cancer without me being able to visit him before he passed, for that matter.

gently caress covid, but at this point people need to loving suck it up. Not so we can stomp this out and go back to doing fun things, we're way past that, but so that we can avoid killing our loved ones before they can get a vaccine.

*I'm speaking of "lucky" in the thousand foot up, macro sense of us, as a society, trying to have as small a spread as possible during the holidays. Obviously all of this is loving tragic for everyone and it's loving awful that people are going to have killed their relatives by giving them covid. I'm just saying that I hope those stories get a lot of air time so that people finally begin to realize that actions have consequences, and these consequences might include killing your mom.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

So, my boy woke up this morning with no fever and feeling right as rain

The thing that is still disturbing me though is that despite being really disciplined about isolating and avoiding exposure for COVID, something viral-ish snuck through. It didn't come from nowhere, right?

Now, we wait another 24 to 48 hours for the test results, but we're all feeling much better about it. Yesterday was a lousy day for all of us.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Fingers crossed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

canyoneer posted:

The thing that is still disturbing me though is that despite being really disciplined about isolating and avoiding exposure for COVID, something viral-ish snuck through. It didn't come from nowhere, right?

Now, we wait another 24 to 48 hours for the test results, but we're all feeling much better about it. Yesterday was a lousy day for all of us.

Happy to hear this. Keep in mind that 5 year olds touch EVERYTHING. HOwever, fomite transmission is not really how COVID-19 spreads. So your son could have come down with something that isn't airborne.

I myself am getting over some awful stomach bug.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

I have been told that if I am hired to work at the vet, I can choose to go into the kennel and play with the dogs during my breaks.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

canyoneer posted:

We asked our doc about this after the second episode of being sent for a COVID test, and she said that it was probably something that we adults are immune to but that got on our clothes, shoes, or something that was brought into the house. Then, as said above, it ends up in the kid's mouth somehow.

Our kiddo was crawling and teething at the time, so he was a lot younger and his hands were spending a lot of time on the floor and in his mouth, but the root of it is probably similar.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AKZ posted:

I appreciate your optimism.

I think itís being misread as optimism when I didnít mean it that way. Iím saying Thanksgiving likely isnít a massive disaster only because thereís already such a fuckup of massive proportions that Thanksgiving is unlikely to be a watershed event rather than the continuation of our ongoing local and national failure.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

canyoneer posted:

I remember reading somewhere (or maybe hearing from an ex who worked in HR?) that estimates range from 50-80% in terms of "24 hour flu" really being a minor case of food poisoning. Congestion doesn't really fit well but the rest sure as hell does.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mlmp08 posted:

I think itís being misread as optimism when I didnít mean it that way. Iím saying Thanksgiving likely isnít a massive disaster only because thereís already such a fuckup of massive proportions that Thanksgiving is unlikely to be a watershed event rather than the continuation of our ongoing local and national failure.

I love your AV. I really do.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I have been told that if I am hired to work at the vet, I can choose to go into the kennel and play with the dogs during my breaks.

A Good Job.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

...what the hell just happened to the forums' UI? It changed slightly. Buttons are no longer rounded, and the color for the bars at the tops and bottoms of pages changed color.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Dick Burglar posted:

...what the hell just happened to the forums' UI? It changed slightly. Buttons are no longer rounded, and the color for the bars at the tops and bottoms of pages changed color.

Thank God, I'm not going nuts.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Thank God, I'm not going nuts.

Well, not about that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

Captain Log posted: