Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Pat Patterson is a complex individual, he was an out pro wrestler in a time where it was very hard to be out for anyone. He was obviously a great wrestler and a great creative mind. He also faced some gross false accusations about how conduct from Murray Hodgson due to being an out wrestler and an easy target.

But he also sexually harassed people including teenagers. Most wrestlers would say this was him "ribbing" them but well, that doesn't change the fact he did it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay so I wasn't nuts in thinking some of the allegations he faced were falsified? For a minute I got really confused because I was like "wasn't that disproven?" until I realized there were different sets of allegations.

Dammit Pat, you could have been so cool otherwise. :(

Yes, the Murray allegation that was on the tabloid media was in all likelihood fake. Murray had tried this type of scam with other people.

Tom Hankins claimed he asked Pat about getting a job with WWE and Pat told him the only way that would happen is if Tom had sex with him, Tom refused. There doesn't seem to be any doubt that this incident happened, and wrestlers who Meltzer talked to seemed to defend it by saying Pat was joking.

Tom Cole claimed that Pat would grope and make sexually suggestive gestures towards him as a teenager. Tom Cole had way less animosity towards Pat than towards Phillips or Garvin, so you can probably give it the benefit of the doubt that Pat liked making people really uncomfortable to amuse himself and wasn't trying to molest people the way Mel Phillips was. Still hosed up!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Pat's legacy is definitely a complex one and I'm sure similar to one many people will struggle with as we come up to the death of many 70s and 80s rock stars. His own personal conduct is less offensive than many, and seems mild compared to the worst, but there are also the institutional issues that crop up as he was an executive in the WWF.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

I have never seen a Pat Paterson match are they even good? Old Gerald Brisco matches were good.

Pat Patterson was in one of the best tag teams of all time and was a very good singles wrestler as well. Sadly little of his team with Ray Stevens exists but more of his singles career is out there like the matches with Slaughter.