Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BAKER VS TOO LEGIT 69428 99.80%
TEAM TAZ VS DARBY CODY 6 0.01%
BATTLE ROYAL 37 0.05%
KENNY VS MOX 99 0.14%
Total: 69570 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

xbilkis posted:

It's incredibly funny that the bar is so low in professional wrestling that "A pre-announced list of 10 segments in a two-hour show" feels noteworthy. But, by contrast, so far NXT has advertised their men's champion appearing and that's it

That match with KOR has really aged terribly. Still a great match, but holy poo poo did it really put him on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ICR posted:

This is a long post, but I hope you read it. It’s therapeutic for me—I really love the community and I forget that sometimes. I’m a huge social and people person and things just feel good today. I like that feeling. Stay with me if you’re bored and looking for a read. There’s a lot of things I really love in my life and the world and wrestling is one of them. Here we go:

Let me add something as I’ve been getting up to speed with all the great posts here. It’s been awesome to read the past few pages I guess I missed as I cooled off on seeing Jaxson loving Ryker back in a WWE ring last weekend. Happy days happy days happy days, just keep saying that, me! You got this! Woo woo woo! Ok here we go:

I’m so excited to see a tide get turned in WRESTLING right now. I currently don’t see battles between brands as of right now. It just feels different.

I read some of the worst of the worst on the internet boards for wrestling and even lately, it’s been more positive than normal. More eyes have been on it than normal too. People are starting to pay attention to other wrestlers and get invested.

Most importantly in all of this, real, true alternatives exist for people to make a living and have fun making a living off wrestling. I never thought I would say that in 2020, and it’s not entirely true because indies are shut down right now. But wrestlers are really pulling for each other and people are reaching across the aisle to better one another.

It’s not as big of a joke as it has been. Somethings changing in the air as a whole. I attribute that to the executives at the companies who are putting it out there that they want to “save” wrestling and make it a better place than where it was. Stories are being told that are chapters in a book instead of a 16 page children’s book about caterpillars and if they go to heaven. Ok, that’s a stretch, they definitely do and I can prove it but that’s for a different day!

The authenticity of wrestlers finding their role and their niche is really being defined right now. I know there’s technically this artificial war between some brands right now, but that luster is wearing off, especially as we see programs like Dark say, “Come be part of our brand and get your reps in. Get your name out there. See if there’s a spot for you.” Wrestlers are paying attention to the Universe of Wrestling as I’ll call it here to see what’s going on around them. It’s like this whole other world and people are finding their place in it.

I know who guys like VSK and Dani Jordyn and Josh Alexander and Watts and Thunder Rosa and all these other talents that exist, are good at what they do, and they get to exist in a GIANT WORLD as opposed to a little, exclusive playground.

I’m going to look back on 2020 and feel as if wrestling got bigger. Don’t mind the ratings. Don’t mind what you read or see. It really did get bigger. Brands got bigger. Wrestlers got better. Things were discovered.

I said this about a week ago that many days, it’s easy to feel ashamed to be a wrestling fan. I remember when it used to be a shame to be a video game player. “Oh, that person is a nerd!” “Oh, they have no friends!” “What a dumb hobby to have!”

Now, you’re in the minority if you don’t play games. It’s not as weird, if weird at all! Wrestling has more growth ahead of it but this year took leaps and bounds over what it was.

It’s going to get better and better, I can feel it coming. This coming year is going to be a pivotal year for wrestling as a whole. Not sports entertainment. Not sports. Not entertainment. But wrestling, as a whole. We’re going to define it by the wrestlers themselves and not the brand they’re part of or this and that. It’s going to grow and so will the talent that are part of it because they are invested more and being invested in more.

Let’s just say with a fun little quote that many of us know: “We are just...getting...started!”

i read it. what now

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Cavauro posted:

i read it. what now

Well you gotta keep reading more posts from people! Don’t stop yet! Yea ok just posted underneath your recent post. Please see his joker gif!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I would bet either the 6-man or MJF/OC mains. Bucks/TH2 almost certainly opens.

I would usually assume MJF/OC is the main event, but the Inner Circle Breakup stuff could make the order of operations there wonky.

I am very curious how they're gonna handle the Inner Circle stuff even if it's a lower-tier storyline right now. The two outcomes I'd want to avoid are "Inner Circle kicks MJF out and stays together" and "MJF/Jericho stay aligned through the dissolution of the Inner Circle," but that still feels like two pretty plausible outcomes based on what they've shown so far

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm still thinking about the comparison to NWA Flair. Does Kenny have any friends left? He abandoned Hangman, Cody hasn't really been a part of the Elite anymore, and the young bucks seemed pissed. He doesn't have a horseman, let alone an enforcer, does he?

Unrelated to that but still related to Kenny, holy poo poo this is going to be an even bigger deal if Hangman (Redeemed edition) is the one that eventually unseats Kenny, Universal Emperor of All Titles

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sting looking good

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Might be unpopular but I've seen it proposed and I don't want to see multiple Sting gimmicks in AEW since Matt is already doing that. I'd really prefer he just sticks to one. Namely, Surfer Sting. He can be Snowboard Sting to jive with the winter theme.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Any other Sting besides Crow sting exposes the fact that he's over 60 years old. Gotta stick with that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

xbilkis posted:

I would usually assume MJF/OC is the main event, but the Inner Circle Breakup stuff could make the order of operations there wonky.

I am very curious how they're gonna handle the Inner Circle stuff even if it's a lower-tier storyline right now. The two outcomes I'd want to avoid are "Inner Circle kicks MJF out and stays together" and "MJF/Jericho stay aligned through the dissolution of the Inner Circle," but that still feels like two pretty plausible outcomes based on what they've shown so far

I was amazed they went from MJF getting in to the possible dissolution of IC so quickly. I feel they left so much meat on the bone, we've had one match and a trip to Vegas. If they kick MJF out, then it's just a flat nullification of the last ppv match, if nothing happens it's going to be a boring segment. Sammy is in a good position for a face turn, but is Wardlow or Hagar?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tato posted:

Any other Sting besides Crow sting exposes the fact that he's over 60 years old. Gotta stick with that.
Alternatively he could lean into it with a Parrothead gimmick

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sting looking good

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

xbilkis posted:

It's incredibly funny that the bar is so low in professional wrestling that "A pre-announced list of 10 segments in a two-hour show" feels noteworthy. But, by contrast, so far NXT has advertised their men's champion appearing and that's it

it's one of the things i like most about AEW is they let you know what's coming a week in advance and lets you anticipate it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

dromal phrenia posted:

I also think the idea of Kenny going after women's titles is very funny.

Kenny: I want to bring intergender matches to AEW.
Me: Well as long as it's done respectfully, intergender matches can be very good and I trust th-
Kenny: *runs into a Yuka / Riho match and just v-triggers both of them so hard they fly offscreen like it's smash bros*
Me: :distonk:

That reminds me. Really glad the AEW game is going to have intergender wrestling. I've always been annoyed by how the WWE games keep the rosters completely separate. What's the point of making a Sonya Blade CAW if she can't be in the same Royal Rumble as Scorpion?

Anyway, I hope Kenny's journey leads to him beating Jake Hager for the Aztec gold belt. And it leads to Hager explaining his Lucha Underground backstory to the other Inner Circle guys.

"So you know how Chris is a Demogod and Sammy is a Spanish god? I'm actually a god-god. Like, I'm an all-powerful Aztec god. Who wrestles. Cage can vouch for me."

"How has this never come up before?"

"I don't know. I don't talk much."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

he sold for the bird!!!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

tao of lmao posted:

it's one of the things i like most about AEW is they let you know what's coming a week in advance and lets you anticipate it.
booking on a whim b/c you're a control freak vs booking actual storylines that require collaboration with your talent

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I’m very bummed that MTV scheduled the new season of The Challenge for the same time slot as Dynamite. It’s a very bad time for me.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ICR posted:

When things were at their very worst:
2 Suns, Cross in the sky, 2 comets will collide = don`t be afraid – repent, accept Lord`s Hand of Mercy.
The first sign - the Earth will spin faster.
The second sign concerns the sun, which will loom larger, brighter and begin to spin.
Scientists will say it was a global illusion.
Beaware – Jesus will never walk in flesh again.
After WW3 – rise of the “ man of peace“ from the East = Antichrist – the most powerful, popular, charismatic and influential leader of all time. Many miracles will be attributed to him. He will imitate Jesus in every conceivable way.
Don`t trust „pope“ Francis = the False Prophet
- will seem to rise from the dead
- will unite all Christian Churches and all Religions as one.
One World Religion = the seat of the Antichrist.
Benedict XVI is the last true pope – will be accused of a crime of which he is totally innocent.

- banking collapse was deliberately masterminded by the Antichrist

- Antichrist will step in and create a false peace in the state of Israel by joining them with palestine in an unlikely alliance.

- „He will recite extracts from My Teachings, which he will passionately proclaim from every secular stage in the world, until people sit up and take notice of him.“

NOT an empty quote!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Caster put out a new music video.

https://twitter.com/castershow/status/1336746392761622528?s=21

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
It Wednesday and I like wrestling

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cool Crazzy Steve gif

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

looking forward to kenny and callis making a supposed BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I want Kenny to get his poo poo kicked in, in international waters. Setup another cruise, no fans, just beat the poo poo out of each other throughout an entire ship.

mox defeats kenny by throwing him off of the cruise into shark infested waters, and then driving the boat away, imo

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

ICR posted:

Let’s just say with a fun little quote that many of us know: “We are just...getting...started!”

For over a decade, Monday nights were mandatory for me. Never missed a RAW if I could help it. It was to the point where my friends knew never to schedule anything on Monday nights and to write on the calendar when Wrestlemania and Summerslam were. I can pinpoint the exact moment where my interest started to wane - when John Cena beat Rey Mysterio on RAW for the World title and CM Punk, after walking out two weeks earlier, walked back in. A million-dollar storyline just tossed away. From that point on, the "what the fucks" began outweighing the "holy shits," until my mantra became, "bad writing,." The announcement of the first Saudi blood money show killed my interest in the WWE for good. I still liked wrestling but I didn't make time for it anymore. Lucha Underground grabbed me for two seasons, but we know how that ended, and finding NJPW/AAA online was too much of a hassle for me.

AEW sparked a love I forgot I had. Winter is Coming was the most hyped I EVER felt for a non-PPV wrestling show. Tonight Cyberpunk 2077 drops, a game I've waited seven years and since high school (Cyberpunk 2013/2020) for. And I'm blowing it off so I can watch Dynamite with you goons.

You're right, ICR. We're just getting started.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had a similar realization watching takeover this weekend, like even at it's worst you could always make the argument that NXT is still the best WWE has to offer and takeovers will always have mostly quality matches, but AEW has truly flipped a switch in my head that made me realize there's nothing WWE can do to bring me back at that point. For the longest time I was tuning into Raw on Mondays and Smackdown on Fridays just because it's what you do, and even when it was real bad I kept tuning in but paying less and less attention to it. I like the people wrestling for NXT/WWE but the only thing I could think of the whole time was how much better these people could be outside of this environment. If it wasn't for AEW I would just not be watching wrestling anymore, I always liked the people who wrestle for NJPW and elsewhere but don't care enough to subscribe to the services to watch. I'm very happy to have a wrestling show to look forward to that doesn't think that I, the viewer, am an rear end in a top hat who doesn't know what I want and will just watch whatever slop they present us anyway.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Duke Pukem posted:

The matches were ok, the main event was pretty good, Kenny and Callis were great, but good lord, the announcing and the backstage segments were horrendous as was Sami Calihan.

Dark was so much more entertaining and it is mostly squash matches. Taz and Excalibur are really good

sami callihan exists to mark a promotion as small-time. if they treat sami callihan like he's notable in any way, you can be assured you're watching a mediocre product.

it would be really really sad that he's still doing "the draw" poo poo if it were anyone else. bro you weren't even "the draw" in aaw get outta here. making your whole gimmick about how you're one of the biggest names in the country and you're re-hashing the eddie edwards thing AGAIN on twitch.tv alright sure man.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

tao of lmao posted:

same. i also like that the viewer isn't treated like an idiot, and continuity and past events constantly come into play. you watch raw or smackdown and one person might be feuding with somebody one week then tagging with them the next, or dropped entirely (nxt is better about this tbf)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/starkmanjones/status/1336759129906491398?s=20

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

explosivo posted:

I had a similar realization watching takeover this weekend, like even at it's worst you could always make the argument that NXT is still the best WWE has to offer and takeovers will always have mostly quality matches, but AEW has truly flipped a switch in my head that made me realize there's nothing WWE can do to bring me back at that point. For the longest time I was tuning into Raw on Mondays and Smackdown on Fridays just because it's what you do, and even when it was real bad I kept tuning in but paying less and less attention to it. I like the people wrestling for NXT/WWE but the only thing I could think of the whole time was how much better these people could be outside of this environment. If it wasn't for AEW I would just not be watching wrestling anymore, I always liked the people who wrestle for NJPW and elsewhere but don't care enough to subscribe to the services to watch. I'm very happy to have a wrestling show to look forward to that doesn't think that I, the viewer, am an rear end in a top hat who doesn't know what I want and will just watch whatever slop they present us anyway.

I’d literally stopped watching wrestling for 4 years. AEW made me feel like a kid and fall in love again.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ive only seen like 3 joker sting things and they were all cringe af, is that representative of the rest of joker sting?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

He said it was related to Lex the same way the bus is. Did lex show up via chopper at any point? My other guesses are going to be a shocking debut like lex on nitro, or he's going to kill Ms. Elizabeth.

He's tag teaming with Sting.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

jesus WEP posted:

ive only seen like 3 joker sting things and they were all cringe af, is that representative of the rest of joker sting?

What do you think?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
joker sting's pet pied crow is cool

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

What do you think?

i think the segments that aren't famous are less cringe purely because they were also more boring

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Gavok posted:

That reminds me. Really glad the AEW game is going to have intergender wrestling. I've always been annoyed by how the WWE games keep the rosters completely separate. What's the point of making a Sonya Blade CAW if she can't be in the same Royal Rumble as Scorpion?

Anyway, I hope Kenny's journey leads to him beating Jake Hager for the Aztec gold belt. And it leads to Hager explaining his Lucha Underground backstory to the other Inner Circle guys.

"So you know how Chris is a Demogod and Sammy is a Spanish god? I'm actually a god-god. Like, I'm an all-powerful Aztec god. Who wrestles. Cage can vouch for me."

"How has this never come up before?"

"I don't know. I don't talk much."

I didn't know that about Hager and Lucha Underground, the idea that this guy is an Aztec god is really hilarious. Was this a possession thing, like whoever is Aztec champion becomes an avatar of a god?

Speaking of Hager, he's been kept almost silent on the shows and I guess I started assuming with that and his mediocre-to-bad matches, he had lost anything I liked about him. The swaggie sandwich and the soaring eagle were long ago, and while The Real Americans were an OK team (with a poo poo gimmick), he was always the lesser of the two - although being worse than Cesaro isn't much of a strike against you. On AEW he has mostly stood around with a stupid facial expression and has a deeply uninteresting in-ring style.

But Sammy's vlog had an episode of "Inner Circle Cribs" in their Vegas hotel room and Hager was pretty drat funny! I lost it when they tried to spin the globe around, but this globe spun slowly and required a lot of effort, ruining the effect. Hager responds by throwing knee strikes at the globe until they back him off.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

dromal phrenia posted:

I'm still thinking about the comparison to NWA Flair. Does Kenny have any friends left?

nakazawa

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

just a little Wednesday hehe for you all, no offense

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

just a little Wednesday hehe for you all, no offense

hahahaha

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005