Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
It was cool to see this last night, but they disappeared over the horizon pretty quickly. The Sky Map app really helped with orienting myself.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Moral of the story: I'm getting a drat telescope. Planets are cool :haw:

I clearly didn't appreciate Great Comets when I was a kid. When Comet Hyakutake came in 1996 I thought it was cool, but then Comet Hale–Bopp came a year later and I thought "meh, seems like it happens every year", and treated it with as much enthusiasm as New Years.
Now it's 25 years later, and the only ones we've had since were in the opposite hemisphere. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
drat, I've been really good at reverse-sniping lately, lol.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I clearly didn't appreciate Great Comets when I was a kid. When Comet Hyakutake came in 1996 I thought it was cool, but then Comet Hale–Bopp came a year later and I thought "meh, seems like it happens every year", and treated it with as much enthusiasm as New Years.
Now it's 25 years later, and the only ones we've had since were in the opposite hemisphere. :negative:

Honestly, when Comet Hale-Bopp came along, I was much more fascinated by the Heaven's Gate cult (and then cults in general) than the comet itself. Probably kind of a weird thing for a nine-year old to fixate on, but I was kind of a weird kid.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

YeahTubaMike posted:

drat, I've been really good at reverse-sniping lately, lol.

Honestly, when Comet Hale-Bopp came along, I was much more fascinated by the Heaven's Gate cult (and then cults in general) than the comet itself. Probably kind of a weird thing for a nine-year old to fixate on, but I was kind of a weird kid.

Nah, it was pretty big in the news cycle back then and the cult connections were seen then as more interesting than the comet itself too, imo

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

A pro-tip is that, if you have binoculars or a telescope that's not too strong, point them at the conjunction, then point them at an apartment. You can then transfer jupiter and saturn's carnal desires one-to-one onto human avatars for them.