Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

~Coxy posted:

What the gently caress is this part? Does the game really let you burn consumables that do nothing?

New prisoner's dilemma just dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

We just changed the thread title recently but I can always keep funny suggestions for a future update.

I'll try to update the OP with more modern info Sometime Soon (tm) as well.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Tried to solo shadow croconaw. Timed out. Oh well, just another raid I'm not gonna do in the future :shrug:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

So the answer to “Can croconaw be solo’d” is “naw”

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah I didn't know I had to use 8 gems for any effect and timed out after using one. gently caress that.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
But think of the opportunities to play with ~the community~!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah I didn't know I had to use 8 gems for any effect and timed out after using one. gently caress that.

Isn’t there also a limit of 5 gems on how many one person can use? So you can’t possibly calm it as a solo raider, you can only throw your gems away.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Why are 8 gems needed? Is this to make it a group effort only?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
It was such a narrow defeat that I bet I could get super sweaty and power up the perfect counters and defeat the raid. In theory: "Hell yeah, a challenging solo raid after such a long time, I have been waiting for this pain". In practice: "lol it's a croconaw, I don't care"

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You can solo them in the right weather. But outside of that BrandonTan with his 6 level 50 Shadow Swampert were barely able to solo a Quilava without weather boost and without gems. It's just absurd.

fatnoodlesfarting
Dec 3, 2019
Is there any benefit from these shadow raids from a collecting perspective? Aka does it contribute to Pokedex entry?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There is a separate pokedex category for shadows which you can fill out. Should you care about that? Probably not

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I was going to say shadow raids will probably have better IVs than the ones you catch from grunts but after looking it up the IV floor seems to be 6/6/6 and not 10/10/10. man

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fatnoodlesfarting posted:

Is there any benefit from these shadow raids from a collecting perspective? Aka does it contribute to Pokedex entry?

Shadow Pokemon have pvp and raid value of their own

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I was going to say shadow raids will probably have better IVs than the ones you catch from grunts but after looking it up the IV floor seems to be 6/6/6 and not 10/10/10. man

The one good thing I've found is the CPs (aka the levels) are higher than ones you catch from grunts and leaders. So the weather boosted 672CP Shadow Beldum I caught from one raid is good since it's less stardust leveling it up at least.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Probably the most interesting and unique thing in PoGo compared to the mainline games is the shadow 'mon mechanic, so I do appreciate that part.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

HootTheOwl posted:

Shadow Pokemon have pvp and raid value of their own

Yes the 20% damage increase(and 20% damage received increase) make them some of the best raid attackers and they're also useful in some PVP scenarios.

Shadow Metagross, Mewtwo, Dragonite, Salamence, and Mamoswime are in the overall top 10 raid attackers.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Probably the most interesting and unique thing in PoGo compared to the mainline games is the shadow 'mon mechanic, so I do appreciate that part.

I was surprised they cribbed something from the Pokemon Gamecube games of all things.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Apparently the Shadow Mewtwo requires 8 gems to overcome the enrage stage, and can be done with as few as 5 trainers. Cool.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Too bad these days 5 players locally is a big ask. Practically can't be done with randos because it requires preparation, both by having good counters and by having purified gems.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I went to town early with my kid as we're heading out and a shadow Mewtoo popped up. We looked at it just to see it and decided to move on. As soon as we walked away a lobby started building up and we decided to join it. 10 people burned through it pretty quick, we didn't really have the roster to do too much damage but we managed to get the final strike with a Leavanny.

After thinking that it was a pipe dream we took a chance and after a few golden razz berries now have a Shadow Mewtwo.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Did a shadow Mewtwo with 20 people and it completely glitched out, couldn't finish it / capture. Tried rebooting 4 times

Eventually just let it time out and now doing a new battle, maybe this will work
Edit sure did. Lol at then not catching it as it broke out repeatedly

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 27, 2023

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

kensei posted:

Apparently the Shadow Mewtwo requires 8 gems to overcome the enrage stage, and can be done with as few as 5 trainers. Cool.

It can be duo'd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f5uVICaa1g

edit: Meaning that if two high-level players can duo it, 5 players is a pretty safe group, if at least 2 players have any idea what they're doing

Wheany fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 27, 2023

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
So I guess the current consensus is that while Mewtwo retains some frailty and can be done without gems at ~10 people (assuming public/casual players), Purified Gems are bugged out and only sometimes works with maybe 1 out of 8 gems used having any effect on calming the enraged portion of the battle?

I know it's not the hardest thing to collect more purified gems but it's also quite a waste if you have to use 8 out of the max 10 gems you can carry in your inventory (assuming you're the only one using the gems in a raid) and go fight 8 x 4 = 32 more rockets to recoup your gems.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 27, 2023

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Willsun posted:

So I guess the current consensus is that while Mewtwo retains some frailty and can be done without gems at ~10 people (assuming public/casual players), Purified Gems are bugged out and only sometimes works with maybe 1 out of 8 gems used having any effect on calming the enraged portion of the battle?

I know it's not the hardest thing to collect more purified gems but it's also quite a waste if you have to use 8 out of the max 10 gems you can carry in your inventory (assuming you're the only one using the gems in a raid) and go fight 8 x 4 = 32 more rockets to recoup your gems.

One player can only use a maximum of 5 gems per raid and 8 are required to calm the shadow raid boss down.

That said, I used at least a total of 5 gems in 3 raids and still had (the maximum of) 10 gems afterwards. So I don't know what's up with that, except maybe niantic's incompetence worked in my favour for once.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I was able to do it with 4, I did three raids today might do one tomorrow

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

When we returned home l saw four Mewtwo raids within a five minute walk from me, one of them was just across the road, but no one was even touching them. Even if there were we weren't going to head back out again as we had a pretty active day and just wanted to rest. There are a lot of Pokestops around where I live and several gyms but it's rare that any group activities take place. I probably would have been tempted if am attempt was going to made across the road as it's a five second walk to get within distance.

We're going to head back into the town centre tomorrow to see if we can get lucky again and latch onto another group or two. We're not too fussed if we don't as we weren't even expecting to even get one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's nothing unique about this Mewtwo is there?
We've had shadow Mewtwo before right?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
There is nothing special about this shadow mewtwo, no need to feel FOMO if you already have one. But it means more chances of getting a shiny or one with good ivs, or at least more mewtwo candy.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's very Niantic that they did all this and didn't bother to introduce any new shadow pokemon. At least pop a hat on the Mewtwo, or even better this would have been a great opportunity to do Shadow Armor Mewtwo

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Wheany posted:

One player can only use a maximum of 5 gems per raid and 8 are required to calm the shadow raid boss down.

That said, I used at least a total of 5 gems in 3 raids and still had (the maximum of) 10 gems afterwards. So I don't know what's up with that, except maybe niantic's incompetence worked in my favour for once.

I just want to know if tossing gems at it even without reaching 8 does anything at all. Like if we just use 2 on it, does it literally do NOTHING unless we all collectively put in 8? Or does it at least lessen some of its damage?

Also I don't want to make people feel bad but I do feel like Shadow Mewtwo is worth getting because even a worst-possible IV floor Shadow Mewtwo of 6/6/6 does more damage than a 100% 15/15/15 normal Mewtwo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Now compare the damage taken

E: I really want to know

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Willsun posted:

I just want to know if tossing gems at it even without reaching 8 does anything at all. Like if we just use 2 on it, does it literally do NOTHING unless we all collectively put in 8? Or does it at least lessen some of its damage?

The r/silph consensus seems to be nothing happens unless 8 are used, and my anecdotal experience today supports that.

Willsun posted:

Also I don't want to make people feel bad but I do feel like Shadow Mewtwo is worth getting because even a worst-possible IV floor Shadow Mewtwo of 6/6/6 does more damage than a 100% 15/15/15 normal Mewtwo.

That's true, but IMO Mewtwo in either form probably isn't as useful overall as people think it is.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Opopanax posted:

It's very Niantic that they did all this and didn't bother to introduce any new shadow pokemon. At least pop a hat on the Mewtwo, or even better this would have been a great opportunity to do Shadow Armor Mewtwo

Yeah, I'm not really sure why you would ever do a Shadow Croconaw or one of those other common ones.
If you've been playing the game then you probably have caught hundreds of them from grunts, and quite possibly even have some good IV/high level ones.
If you haven't been playing the game then it's not a good catch-up mechanism because you need to wait for an event to TM off frustration and a CD to get a good move.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BigShasta posted:

The r/silph consensus seems to be nothing happens unless 8 are used, and my anecdotal experience today supports that.

LOL and, indeed, LMAO

This loving game.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Got a non-shiny 14/13/14 on my only Shadow Mewtwo of the day. Much pleased.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It seems like everyone has had their fill around here. We decided to go into town for an hour and the raids were an absolute ghost town.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If you don't have an active, local community that you can easily communicate with via Messenger or Discord, then you're poo poo outta luck for these in person events. Maybe Campfire could've helped, but it doesn't have the saturation, nor the tools to really help with stuff like this, so you get people hopelessly lighting flares at gyms miles away from you with no one to come to their aid. It's pretty sad, but Niantic hates rural players, so they'll never do anything about it.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I didn't do any, because I already have a Shadow Mewtwo. Not many people seemed to be raiding in my area compared to a few years ago. Campfire still isn't released in my region so I have no idea how it is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Entropist posted:

I didn't do any, because I already have a Shadow Mewtwo. Not many people seemed to be raiding in my area compared to a few years ago. Campfire still isn't released in my region so I have no idea how it is there.

Honestly, this is a real bust. This is the FOURTH time they’ve made shadow Mewtwo “a thing” - 2 different Giovanni rewards plus the Apex reward. The appeal of a 5% chance of getting a shiny isn’t worth having to find 6-10 people who just happen to be near me and just happen to have enough gems.

There’s a ton of shadow-less legendaries and they went back to this one again? Why bother?