Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is there a good rundown of stuff to do for the event? i had some google play funnymoney and picked up the ticket a while back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

is there a good rundown of stuff to do for the event? i had some google play funnymoney and picked up the ticket a while back

https://gamepress.gg/pokemongo/pokemon-go-tour-kanto-niantic-reveals-final-pre-event-details

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can you take down the 'go tour challengers' if you can't get to a pokestop

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

flatluigi posted:

can you take down the 'go tour challengers' if you can't get to a pokestop

No

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Quite annoyed that this event has a 'trade with friends' objective.
There's this little quarantine thing going on, Niantic. For fucks sake.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Iymarra posted:

Quite annoyed that this event has a 'trade with friends' objective.
There's this little quarantine thing going on, Niantic. For fucks sake.

Trade distance is increased to 40km until March 1st as part of this event so they did something at least.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Christ, I have my phone and my brother’s right next to each other, and so far he’s got 5 shinies to my 1. At least Mom liked me better :argh:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Perfect time to bug out on a remote raid and be unable to join any other ones

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Retro Futurist posted:

Christ, I have my phone and my brother’s right next to each other, and so far he’s got 5 shinies to my 1. At least Mom liked me better :argh:

Was using my sons phone to catch some stuff for him - the first 3 raids I did, he got 3 shinies and I got zero. Moltres, Mr Mime, and Mewtwo.

I finally got my shiny Mewtwo later tho :)

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
what’s the trick to catching these raid Pokémon

I suck at curveballs and just do normal great throws with golden berries and they keep escaping :(

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cry Havoc posted:

I suck at curveballs and just do normal great throws with golden berries and they keep escaping :(

learn to use curveballs

edit: this is a 100% serious suggestion and is the one biggest thing you can do to improve your catch rate

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Once you figure out the trick to curveballs - never took longer than two weeks for an active player by just refusing to do normal throws for any trash - they are easier to land than regular throws and have a much better catch rate.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cry Havoc posted:

flatluigi posted:

learn to use curveballs

edit: this is a 100% serious suggestion and is the one biggest thing you can do to improve your catch rate

In addition:
Set the circle. Wait for the attack and throw.
I think a curved great has a better catch rate then a straight ultra

endlessmonotony posted:

Once you figure out the trick to curveballs - never took longer than two weeks for an active player by just refusing to do normal throws for any trash - they are easier to land than regular throws and have a much better catch rate.

So much this. I can't throw straight balls anymore.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Every thing you add onto a throw increases your catch chances, and I believe they stack multiplicatively. A regular pokeball is 1.0x times the base catch chance, iirc great and ultra balls are 1.5x and 2x respectively. A razz berry is 1.5x. A nice throw with the circle at 100% radius is 1.0x, and at 1% radius is 2x. A curveball alone is 1.7x.

Long story short, if you want to increase your catch chance and don't want to use an ultra ball on everything or can't use one (the premiere balls used to catch raid bosses are regular pokeballs) then throwing curveballs is by far the easiest way. More importantly, these things all stack on top of one another. I can hit excellent curveballs with golden razzes on every boss throw and still don't get a 100% catch rate, though it is quite high. If you're not stacking these multipliers, you're going to get a lot of runners.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom caught a shiny Aero. She is still so drat happy about it.

So far I have nailed a shiny Oddish, Nidoran female, Hitmonlee, and DITTO. Hoping for a Horsea still, or Goldeen!

I don't know, not as many shinies as I heard about?

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

So far I have nailed a shiny Oddish, Nidoran female, Hitmonlee, and DITTO. Hoping for a Horsea still, or Goldeen!

The event has finished in the UK, but I found that shinies came to me in streaks. Had an hour with one shiny, but then a 10 minute run where I caught 4 shinies including 2 Ekans in a row! I was playing pretty constantly through the day though.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I got a ghastly and a slowpoke so far. Not... great? But I still got six hours to go.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

thanks for the suggestions on just using curveballs - caught the next two mewtwo :)

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Ended up with 22 unique shinies, 40 overall. They did indeed come in streaks - I would catch 4 in a 10 minute span, then none for an hour. I got 3 in the last 15 minutes!

Most common was squirtle, got 4 of those. 3 each of Tangela, Bellsprout, Horsea, and Machop. Plus my first shiny Mewtwo!

This event was amazing and more than worth the ticket price. Did a ton of raids, made some new friends for gift exchanges, and can now look forward to the loooooooong slog to the shiny Mew

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
MEW QUEST.

'Mew Masterwork Research' Step 1 of 4

Platinum Kanto medal - 51 Ultra Balls
Send 151 Gifts to friends - 1 Poffin
Make 151 Great Throw - 1510 Stardust
Rewards: 5100 XP, 1 Premium Battle Pass and 1510 Stardust

'Mew Masterwork Research' Step 2 of 4

Catch a Pokémon for 30 days in a row - 51 Ultra Balls
Catch 151 different species of Pokémon - 1 Glacial Lure
Catch 30 of each of the following Pokémon types: Normal, Fire, Water, Grass, Flying, Fighting, Poison, Electric, Ground, Rock, Psychic, Ice, Bug, Ghost, Steel, Dragon, Dark and Fairy - 151 XP for each set of 30 Pokémon

Got 7 shinies, 2 of them new. Mom, no ticket, got a shiny Aero, pony, and Lapras.

I wish this event was two days though.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

My kingdom for a primeape

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I got 94 rare candy from this event, for me by far an all time high. Thanks all the goons in the discord who coordinated raids.

I never have had a legendary with a dual attack, because I never have 90-100 rare candies at a time. I tend to use them to slowly power up good legendaries as I get them.

So I can use my rare candy to pick one to add a second attack. Here are my options:

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

So I got 94 rare candy from this event, for me by far an all time high. Thanks all the goons in the discord who coordinated raids.

I never have had a legendary with a dual attack, because I never have 90-100 rare candies at a time. I tend to use them to slowly power up good legendaries as I get them.

So I can use my rare candy to pick one to add a second attack. Here are my options:

I assume you've noticed the 100,000 stardust cost as well as the candy. If so then I'd suggest Mewtwo or Giratina. Mewtwo has a ton of moves so can round things out.

Unclouded fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 21, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unclouded posted:

I assume you've noticed the 100,000 stardust cost as well as the candy. If so then I'd suggest Mewtwo or Giratina. Mewtwo has a ton of moves so can round things out.

Yeah, I know the 100k stardust, which will hurt but oh well.

I’ll likely do Mewtwo, and use an Elite TM so he is shadow ball / Psystrike. I’m low on Dust, so it’ll take a bit to save up anyway.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I did the Mewtwo (and giratina) and have no regrets.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 21, 2021

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So at the end of the day I got three shinies that I didn't already have and 4 that I had, and my brother, whose phone I was using and was next to mine all day, wound up with 11 new shinies. Curse his crazy luck

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

so if you have both normal and shadow versions of mewtwo and snorlax, which ones should you be powering up and giving a second charge move given limited dust and candies?

in general for pve and pvp

the normal versions are 3* and shadows are worse

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Dumbest part of the event were the challenger stops: annoying to battle, a distraction from catching ALL THE SHINIES, and with no real payoff beyond red pokeballs. And I guess if you were in quarantine, you just didn’t do that quest?

They were a real missed opportunity IMO. Put them into a separate event, give them their own quest line and some good rewards, and they would have been a lot of fun!

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Cry Havoc posted:

so if you have both normal and shadow versions of mewtwo and snorlax, which ones should you be powering up and giving a second charge move given limited dust and candies?

in general for pve and pvp

the normal versions are 3* and shadows are worse

I've been told that any Shadow Mewtwo has better DPS than a Perfect normal Mewtwo. Don't know how true it is but seems to be the case. I don't know about Snorlax though.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Unclouded posted:

I've been told that any Shadow Mewtwo has better DPS than a Perfect normal Mewtwo. Don't know how true it is but seems to be the case. I don't know about Snorlax though.

It's true, shadow gives a pokemon 20% increased damage whereas IVs are just a single point increase in the stat. Mewtwo's base attack stat is 300, so a 15 Attack IV would make it 315. a 0 IV Shadow Mewtwo would be 360.

Note though that shadow status also makes it take 20% increased damage, but for raiding the increased damage is worth it.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In PvE the only thing that matters is DPS, so shadow is strictly superior in every case. In PvP bulk also matters, so whether shadow or non-shadow is better depends on the mon and the meta, it may push some matchups over the edge of doing enough damage to KO the opponent before they can attack again, but it can also make you lose if you take enough damage to faint before having your next charged attack.

I don't care much about Ultra/Masters but from what I remember shadow Mewtwo doesn't add much, while shadow Snorlax is pretty popular in PvP, especially SpooferMaster League.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Entropist posted:

In PvE the only thing that matters is DPS, so shadow is strictly superior in every case. In PvP bulk also matters, so whether shadow or non-shadow is better depends on the mon and the meta, it may push some matchups over the edge of doing enough damage to KO the opponent before they can attack again, but it can also make you lose if you take enough damage to faint before having your next charged attack.

I don't care much about Ultra/Masters but from what I remember shadow Mewtwo doesn't add much, while shadow Snorlax is pretty popular in PvP, especially SpooferMaster League.
There is exactly one case that I can think of where bulk would matter in PvE, and that is if you want to actually contribute in some small way to the raid with a tank doing damage, when you're really low on Revives, instead of just tapping at the Pokemon with a single-Pokemon party of some random thing you caught, let faint, and plan on releasing afterwards.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
New update is rolling out, we can finally mass delete our meltans.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
What are you guys running for the Kanto Cup? I've only played a couple of sets but this league seems not good so far. Haven't found a good combo yet.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Double legacy dewgong, clefable and charizard.

Not great, but I've won most fights.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I had a few Elite TMs burning around, so I made a Triple Legacy Seaking, which has done pretty well so far. Teamed with Wigg and Zard for now. AMuk seems pretty good, since there's quite a few Mew, Hypno, and AWak hanging around.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

angrygodofjebus posted:

What are you guys running for the Kanto Cup? I've only played a couple of sets but this league seems not good so far. Haven't found a good combo yet.

Lead Blastoise, Hex/Shadow Bone/Bone club a-Marowak, and non-shadow razor leaf victreebel.

Been seeing a lot of wigglytuff and a marowak leads which blastoise works well with. If they switch to wigglytuff or clefable throw in victreebel and razor leaf it down. Was winning 4/5 yesterday.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I recently upgraded my old double legacy Seaking to a triple legacy one. It has terrible IVs but I guess this is a chance to try it!
Ah, and now I remember that last time I used an all-Alolan team in the Kanto Cup. Maybe I should do that, A-Rat Hyper Beams are fun.

jonnyman
Sep 6, 2013

I have another friend in need of more Pokemon Go friends. Her number is

9900 4405 0346

adickens162

She would really appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

slave to my cravings posted:

Lead Blastoise, Hex/Shadow Bone/Bone club a-Marowak, and non-shadow razor leaf victreebel.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Blastoise has been really good for me after trying him out. Blastoise/Hypno/A-muk has worked way better than what I was using.