Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lorak posted:

Main grabs from this Community day will be more Rock Wrecker Rhyperior and Hydro Cannon Swampert, for the common player:

I need the gyra quite badly so that'll be nice, as well as sceptile/torterra/empoleon

What are we actually missing out on ? Meteor mash metagross, frenzy plant venusaur, last resort umbreon, anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

tildes posted:

Pvp strategy question!

I have an Azumarill lead and then Altaria and Registeel. I just fought Meganoum lead, Umbreon and Gyarados.

I swapped from Azu to Registeel when I saw Meganium, then Regi killed Umbreon but we each lost a shield. Then his Gyarados came out and I swapped to Azu, and he obviously swapped back to Meganium and hosed me up and I ended up losing.

What would a better approach have been in this situation? I definitely managed shields somewhat poorly, but I’m so lost w typing and strategy here.

I rarely ever switch out when I don't have switch priority. Unless the enemy can clearly farm you down while saving his charged moves you're often better just eating a loss then bringing in a counter and if he switches you can chase

That team type often leads altaria for that reason- even if you run into a counter (like azu) you're often doing a lot of chip damage to them and they will try to kill you asap instead of farming

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jono C posted:

Cjaykay- I'll hold fire on opening the present you sent so you can trigger the best friends bonus whenever you want.

I probably should also apologise to everyone I have hosed this up for in the past, most of the time I don't pay attention when opening gifts.

That's my wife, I'll let her know- thanks !

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What the gently caress is a runerigus

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If you TM a lesser evolve like machop to not have frustration, then evoke them later, will frustration come back?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BGrifter posted:

Makes sense!

Here’s a pretty good infographic about what to tag for TMing.

https://twitter.com/gostadiumpvp/status/1336814669617647616?s=21

Does this start at 1pm pst?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think I just evolved my shadow ivysaur 15 minutes early. Isn't community day today? I had frustration TMed off him but when I evolved it came back on

Edit jesus christ it was the wrong day. Day 1 was tm away frustration, day 2 evolve the beedrill and day 3 is venu. How foolish I was!!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 12, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Entropist posted:

Sorry to break the news, but the 2018 moves are not included in this CD. You can probably purchase them later for a reasonable price, knowing Niantic.

Yeah my mistake for thinking charmander can get his CD move and not bulbasaur. Obviously that wouldn't make sense

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

angrygodofjebus posted:

I only got one balloon yesterday and one so far today. The others were just regular grunts.

That being said, this was rad as hell to get this morning:

How is everyone doing in GBL? I am at rank 20 and having a tough time in premier league, and only winning 2 or 3 if I do regular Ultra. Don't see myself ever getting to rank 21 with the point system back in play haha.

im a mere rank 12, was running shadow champ/clefable/mandibuzz in the great league and was doing ok , then had to put clefable in lead and did better. was about to replace it with shadow beedrill when the leagues switched

now im running scizor (fury cutter/night slash/iron head); sirfetchd (counter/leaf blade/night slash); charizard (fire spin/blast burn/dragon claw) . its working ok , gyrados is aproblem though. probably going to replace sirfetchd with shadow champ as soon as i can but im destitute on dust

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Entropist posted:

Ultra Premier is pretty much the most wide open meta with many viable picks, so your team will always hard lose to something.

I only just started so I'm in the low ranks, but Empoleon/Gallade/Toxicroak has been working for me. It's an expensive one though, since Toxi needs to be maxed out (at least to lvl 40). Tangrowth also seems to be quite nice, and doesn't need maxing, you can use it in the lead with Gallade/Empoleon for a cheaper option.

I'm seeing a fair amount of tangrowths as lead like you said. I think this league all comes down to swampert/venu/charizard countering each other and then people rotating in other stuff (gallade, toge, empoleon, gyra) to cover what they're seeing

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 16, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mustached Demon posted:

Hell yeah starter meta is cool.

I'm getting a huge kick out of swapping to sirfetchd, a swampert comes in, and I immediately grass knot it for a ohko

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
im really having fun with this team i made but running into a double water team (mantine/swampert) crushes me. scizor lead works pretty well againts most thinks, farfetchd is a someewhat safe switch , but if the swampert guy knows what he's doing he'll shield and i can't grass knot him and my charizard can get crushed

the one nice thing about switching to sirfetchd is counter switches are often fairy types, which just kill him without being able to really farm for energy. nothing as frustrating as being stuck with a bad matchup and getting farmed so that your next guy in gets to eat 2-3 charged moves

edit of course right after i type this i go from 5-0 to 2-3 just due to matchups :I

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 16, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My alt that never walks or hatches eggs got the extra slots, my main that "walks" like 200km a week didn't. My main used to buy tons of incubators but not for a few years.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Man I am getting way too tilted in pvp. Every loving match is either me mashing a charged move trying to get it off, only for them to do a perfect switch so it hits the wrong type, or I delay slightly and when trying to get it off theirs goes off first, I then don't want mine to be used but it gets queued and fires. Feel like I'm wasting 1-2 charged moves a match and due to my team lineup losing switch advantage means instant loss and it's driving me up a wall

The queuing up thing makes no God drat sense whatsoever

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's just frustrating seeing so many charizards, venus and swamperts but the minute I have a machamp , the swamperts vanish forever, and when I sub him out I lose every match to them with them having 1 hp and firing off a hydro cannon

The league was pretty fun for a while but now there's just too few lineups in use, but oddly just enough to be annoying, compared to the uncapped league where I could be certain I would always fight metagross and be ready for it. Slowly ticking down from .600 to .500 win percentage at rank 16ish

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How do they do a holiday league and allow stunfisk , skarmory and alolan marowak

What is disallowed in master league classic?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Entropist posted:

It's really unfortunate that Premier was turned into spoofer cup XL, with no level limit. It's basically unplayable now, while it was previously much more interesting than general Master due to the lower resources needed and greater diversity of mons.

I didn't realize premier had pokemons over level 40 in them

That, uh, might explain some things. The funny thing is since I play very offensive I won 8/10 but when I lost I lost weirdly so, yep

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 29, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The bait meta is lame though because there's just no way to know what move is coming. Everyone does the same overcharge , it's just coin flips

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm doing better in premier cup with sub 41 pokes than in holiday cup because I have no drat idea what to run in holiday and no dust to get frosslass

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why don't I see gyrados in premier anymore? The only lineup I struggle against is one with swampert, and it's odd seeing that 5x as often as gyra. Maybe just the proliferation of magnezone?

It's ridiculous but I'm winning about 80% of my matches despite no xl pokes. Just running magnezone/togekiss/garchomp. Seeing a lot of people switch in to machamp , I swap to toge and intentionally eat a rock slide so the inevitable metagross can't farm me down , works pretty well

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Switched from premier to holiday once I got Ace rank and good Lord everyone is running frosslass. I'm seeing it more than metagross in master or giratina in ultra

I tried to build a team to counter amarowak and froslas and hoo boy. Seeing a lot of obstagoon, jigglypuff and vigorotj too

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Entropist posted:

You have to go out each time, and maybe also go to a different mon. Pressing the photo button multiple times while in the screen certainly doesn't work.

When photobombs first got enabled I mashed the photo button something like 500 times before realizing I had to update the app

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I got a qwilfish from a 12km. This is bullshit. I still don't have a sandile

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah this is a cool league, I hadn't played in a month or so and like this already

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

angrygodofjebus posted:

To get to Veteran I was consistently running two of Scolipede/sunny Castform/Scizor. If you start with a fighting mon, like 75% of the time they immediately switch to a fairy and you can switch to one of those and pretty much annihilate them before they can even get a charged move off.

Just tried out scrafty/scolipede/sunny cast form, so far so good. The matches are all close but probably better long term than running a pair of charmers + scol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The 200 is annoying. I burn out after about 30 catches on community day normally, but stuck it out for machops. I don't like that it's something that hardware can do easily but is a huge chore otherwise

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Frank Frank posted:

I just started level 49 this morning and lordy:

Are you the real frank frank (gt-r, mad at c25k about politics) because if so you gotta put the game down and see your kids more! Level 49 is crazy !

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Louisgod posted:

Can you do remote trading yet? Haven't kept up with the game.

i can bring you a landorus, hit me up on discord, i'm trevorreznik there

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's with all this talonflame talk? I haven't pvped in a while, why is it so good?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LumpyGumby posted:

Hey Mastershakeman/trevorreznik, if you need a corsola let me know. I'm in hawaii and I picked up a few, and figured I'd give you first shot since you helped me out with a few regionals.

I’m good, thanks though! I had no idea they spawned in Hawaii, what else is there?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Sigilyph, tropius and relicanth are insanely hard to find still

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Regionals would be slightly better if they spawned during the innumerable events. Imagine traveling to some far off land but woops, it's all woopers for 5 days, too bad

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

slave to my cravings posted:

The 30 second switch in pvp is wild.

What was it before

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Frank Frank posted:

It's a remix cup. They're just banned from this tiny segment. Regular great league you can still use them.

I use none of those guys since I mainly hate them (other than galvantula) because I hate tanky pokemon so I'm pumped.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How does XL stuff work? I'm thinking about maxxing out my only wobbuffet (purified one) due to frank franks post about them, but it looks like at max I'd nedd tons of XL candy and it would only be 1250 cp. What gives

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

NZAmoeba posted:

The worst is when you bust your rear end getting 3/5's where they're all squeakers of a win, gently cranking up that rating a tiny bit at a time.

Then you get body slammed by a dozen perfect wrestlers Machamps in a row and your rating plummets all the way down.

I'm one of the Machamp guys but am also just squeaking by at 3/5 because somehow every other lead is a Gengar or some poo poo

I'm low enough rank I can actually win some I shouldn't but it requires a ton of luck and I'd be better off just quitting the second I lose the lead and eat a bad counter swap

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Dragon claw chomp will be nuts , it's already super good

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Can't Machamp take out empoleon?

I've been running champ, swampert and Charizard and losing nonstop to gengars and venusaurs that get switch priority , it's frustrating

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What the hell, this is the first time in a while there's no pvp option without legendaries? Ugh

Managed to beat a giratina lead team with blind luck with a basic team but what a bummer. Guess I'll get out my old Snorlax/togekiss/some other gira counter team I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Frank Frank posted:

Sure, hit me. It was a few years ago (the clusterfuck one in Chicago) so my memory may be a little fuzzy.

That day was such a disaster. The highlight was a passerby giving me a goplus they found on the ground which I gave to my friend who had scored the tickets.