Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

good username and map name. thank you worriedidiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
:catstare::catstare::catstare:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpTfgODVMHw

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oh shiat

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Omg

----------------

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

:bisonyes:

----------------

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008

sick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

poo poo...maybve in 2024 i should get into Quake WADs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

are there quake slaughter mappers who plop you into a circle with 10 quads and 300 vores and shamblers.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

are there quake slaughter mappers who plop you into a circle with 10 quads and 300 vores and shamblers.

theres a couple

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
it's not as much of a genre in quake but there are some maps like that

----------------

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3NQQ7bPf6U

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lol That guy's cool.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

this guy kicks rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The music sounds freakin sweet on old hardware.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

he does, i'm a subscriber and this video is legitimately badass lol he just has a very screencappable demeanor

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
badass

----------------

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fungah! posted:

this guy kicks rear end

hes probably the coolest person ive ever seen

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

listening intently as he explains his super unreliable pentium 4 hardware and getting increasingly jealous

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the opening to Tenements is kinda fricked up pistol start. You have to survive this room for like 45 seconds with 8 cacos, 4 chaingunners and a couple Imps and shotgunners taking potshots at you from afar. John Romero is making me his bitch all these years later

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training streaming some Doom II uvmax and chill.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training streaming some Doom II uvmax and chill.

UVSacks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I pulled off two God tier run saves tonight and we'll frankly. I think doom might be one of the best games ever made. Anybody ever think this before?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its pretty cool that ID really had no idea how to use revenants in any of these maps but god bless them for that enemy design + death noise.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I pulled off two God tier run saves tonight and we'll frankly. I think doom might be one of the best games ever made. Anybody ever think this before?

its old and outdated, it doesnt even have cutscenes, audio logs or lore

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

You can tell that Doom 2 levels 20+ are where id just said "gently caress it, let's just make one gimmick map after another"

Cyberdemon fights a Spiderdemon
A map where you get chased by exploding barrels
A map where you have to balance on perilously-thin ledges while being attacked by cacos and lost souls
A map where two spiderdemons fight each other in a room with a BFG, countless cells and an invuln sphere

and probably a couple others that I've forgotten

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

a certain mapper that traced their hand for a map loved gimmick levels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Drinkslinger posted:

You can tell that Doom 2 levels 20+ are where id just said "gently caress it, let's just make one gimmick map after another"

Cyberdemon fights a Spiderdemon
A map where you get chased by exploding barrels
A map where you have to balance on perilously-thin ledges while being attacked by cacos and lost souls
A map where two spiderdemons fight each other in a room with a BFG, countless cells and an invuln sphere

and probably a couple others that I've forgotten

on this replay ive fallen in love with Gotcha. such a sick level.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

trying to jack off posted:

a certain mapper that traced their hand for a map loved gimmick levels
The cyberdemon/spiderdemon fight map was Romero but otherwise yeah, fair point

In Training posted:

on this replay ive fallen in love with Gotcha. such a sick level.
Play it in co-op sometime, there's an additional cyberdemon that spawns itself into a ceiling that is too low, so it gets stuck on top of a teleporter and just sits there waiting for you to telefrag it lmao

Deathslinger fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 9, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

actually Gotcha and Barrels O' Fun are in my top 5 of doom II. im curious what ill think of chasm replaying w/o the mouse movement turned on lol. ill probably still hate it. same with uhh spirit world is the one i think you mentioned, forge tthe name but remember what level you're talking about. it does indeed suck rear end. i think one of the secrets is a completely regularly textured wall thats just fake and then the actual main path requires you to call a minimum height level lift to get into a blood river or something. stupid.

im hype to play living end again since the one time i ever played it i got scared byt the cybie at the end and just ran instantly to the exit. im a strong gamer now and will kill that son ofa bitch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my top 5 (not in order) playing doom UVmax pistol start after spending all of 2022 going to Doom School:

Circle of Death
Gotcha
Barrels o Fun
Tricks and Traps
Inmost Dens

i also have a soft spot for Courtyards bc of how stupid it is.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Mine would be, also in no particular order

Downtown
Barrels o Fun (hey, I never said running away from exploding barrels was bad)
The Chasm (although I never understood that weird blue room with the demons at the end - it felt shoehorned in, like it had been cut from another map)
Industrial Zone (the sheer verticality of it compared to everything that had come before)
Inmost Dens

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

check these out. sorry i popped off and made the audio clip on the first one.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BashfulShortInternPupper-x7yiZ8-ayl9pGmhp

https://clips.twitch.tv/FlirtyAttractiveStapleWutFace--nXHFzZ2nbLfXt9J

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Nirvana is such a dogshit map lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hate it lol. The 2nd worst level in the game behind refueling base but maybe actually the absolute worst bc it doesn't have the excuse of being a Doom alpha level lol.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

based

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i finished doom II today and within a few hours I was loading up more cacowards. Having a crippling doom addiction ftw

Jumpwad is impressive but after 3 maps I'm kind of over it.

Knee Deep in KDiZD is nuts lol. Feel like I need to read up on what's going on. How did they make all this poo poo work in source ports

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Knee Deep in KDiZD is nuts lol. Feel like I need to read up on what's going on. How did they make all this poo poo work in source ports
kdikdizd basically exploits every little bug, quirk and oddity in the vanilla engine to frankly ridiculous extremes. for example, replacing rockets with an invisible solid object to act as the lion guy's shield and replacing the bfg shot with... a rocket, so the rocket launcher still has something to shoot. all sorts of weird backwards thinking like that to get the most out of limited dehacked frames

some ports like eternity that have demo compatibility with vanilla were able to handle this pretty well, but pretty much all the zdoom based ports go super far off the reservation due to all its expanded modding stuff so pretty much everything in it broke in half instantly, lol

so the latest versions of kdikdizd basically include a gzdoom mod inside of it that sandpapers over all the cracks that pop up in that port, while being completely ignored by every other port. not graceful, but it works and stays out of the way :v:

i dunno if essel has written up a guide to all the mad science kdikdizd does - i know it was considered - but if she does it'll probably be book length because jesus

edit: looks like she wrote some stuff up

The Kins fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

kdikdizd basically exploits every little bug, quirk and oddity in the vanilla engine to frankly ridiculous extremes. for example, replacing rockets with an invisible solid object to act as the lion guy's shield and replacing the bfg shot with... a rocket, so the rocket launcher still has something to shoot. all sorts of weird backwards thinking like that to get the most out of limited dehacked frames

some ports like eternity that have demo compatibility with vanilla were able to handle this pretty well, but pretty much all the zdoom based ports go super far off the reservation due to all its expanded modding stuff so pretty much everything in it broke in half instantly, lol

so the latest versions of kdikdizd basically include a gzdoom mod inside of it that sandpapers over all the cracks that pop up in that port, while being completely ignored by every other port. not graceful, but it works and stays out of the way :v:

i dunno if essel has written up a guide to all the mad science kdikdizd does - i know it was considered - but if she does it'll probably be book length because jesus

edit: looks like she wrote some stuff up

awesome, ty!

tabled kdidizd for now but i was enjoying it. tried out Magenta Spire and Malevolence and wasnt really feeling either. magspire in particular is a supremely ugly mapset idk how it won a top10.

playing Overboard and its wicked fun.