Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's technically not fast food, but come on, it's the same procedure to make a frozen pizza in your home as it is to prepare food at a fast food chain.

So what kind do you get? What's the best? I am always taking recommendations to up my frozen pizza game.

I am personally partial to Home Run Inn. It's probably not the best out there, tends to be a bit on the dry/flaky side, and it's not weighed down with toppings but I really like the way the crust and sausage taste. Just something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

I used to love Tombstone but they changed it in the last couple of years and it's kind of disappointing now. There used to be "bonus pepperoni" (like, little chunks) on the bog-standard pep. Gone. Different crust, different sauce. Been talking to my therapist about this.

So I'm more a Digiorno guy these days. The Pizzeria! ones really are as good as like, Dominos or something.

I think you could argue, also, that Totino's is not quite a pizza, and I know it's pretty fake garbo, but I still love them once in a while (even after they changed to square, which was a lot for me to get through.)

Yeah! The little pepperoni chunks are always a big bonus to a pizza.

Also this is the perfect place to talk about enjoying fake bad food. I won't shy away from admitting that I eat a pizza roll now and then.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

there's also a TON of Wisconsin-made frozen pizzas I like. the best lately has been Pep's Drafthaus. they're super loaded with toppings, including a few types of cheeses including round slices of fresh mozz. seriously better than a lot of pizza places and they're like $8. here's a review

Yeah there are some good ones that are Wisconsin local. Portesi and Brew Pub are probably the best of what I normally get, though we did get Palermo's last time we went out. The Portesi that doesn't have sauce but just fucktons of cheese is a particular favourite.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Pretty much all the Palermo’s brands suck imo. I think they’re really overrated

I had the Palermo's tonight and I hate to say it but you're right. It wasn't a bad pizza, but the crust was really bland and not sauced enough. This one was the chicken bacon ranch, which might be an outlier, I dunno.
My only other memory of eating a pizza from them was at a Milwaukee Brewers game and that one was loving delicious, but I think the Brewers put cocaine in all their concession stand food, it's really good.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The correct answer is the Walmart brand double decker pepperoni

Yeah I dunno what walmart puts in their frozen pizzas but they are really good for the price. I tend to associate the walmart branded stuff as being subpar, but every now and then it's great. Speaking of which...

piss boner posted:

I was sleepless a while back and got deep into the frozen pizza rabbit hole, from history in the US to rankings and came across this: https://www.cleveland.com/best/2020/03/we-ate-130-frozen-pizzas-and-ranked-them-worst-to-best-nos-1-2-made-by-same-company.html

On the history side it was neat to learn several national brands originated in Wisconsin and that they have many locally owned small frozen pizza company's.

This is one of the highest rated pizzas on the list and now I am outraged that I have never seen this at a walmart, it looks fantastic.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That Newman's is looking pretty good. Never had one of their pizzas but the pasta sauces they make are great; that's a good start.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Re: Miller park food, unfortunately they redid all the concessions because they got a new food service contractor a few years ago, and now it suckkkkkks. I used to actually look forward to eating some of the stuff at the park, but no longer. They paid some local restaurants for naming rights of the stands but they execute it all terribly. There’s also no more state fair-type food specials or visiting team-inspired specials or anything fun like that. The only good thing they did was they added a bunch of tap cocktails with local booze. It’s such a bummer.

:ohdear: That's a shame, I haven't been to a game in a decade or so, but it used to be worth going just for the food- and I say this as someone who doesn't particularly like the sport, even.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Screamin Sicilian pizzas always looked really appetizing but the one we got was bad enough that I have never had another. It's particularly insulting that they have the gall to not only make a bad pizza somehow, but it's not a cheap pizza either.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

tetsuo posted:

Tombstone will always need some gussying up with your own cheese but turns out alright. I've also found baking it at +25F has helped avoid the crust curling up that would happen even if I rotated it halfway through. I should just get a non poo poo oven though.

Made this a while ago - the sriracha wasn't terrible but doesn't work that great with their weird sauce.

The ultimate proof that spirals are hypnotic, it makes the Tombstone look tasty.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cheesus posted:

Frozen is certainly a fast food. After cooking dinner meals Sunday through Thursday, I'm usually in the mood to take it easy and sometimes not want to spend the money or even time for a fresh pie.

I go with regional over chain/national in most cases which for me in Vermont is the hierarchy of:

Half Bakedhttps://www.halfbakedpizzavt.com/
American Flatbread: https://americanflatbreadproducts.com/
Papa Ginos https://www.papaginos.com/

Then usually:
Newman's Own

I'm not above buying Shaw's Signature brand which is ok and not a bad deal when it's on sale.

For some reason I have not tried Cape Cod. Thoughts from those in the New England area?

I should not have clicked these links while already hungry. Those all look good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WITCHCRAFT posted:

but a butcher doesn't make pizzas???

Well they should.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fartington Butts posted:

Prime rib and pineapple pizza. :getin:

Is the prime rib or the pineapple the crust?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Thoughts on Orv's? We got a bunch on sale for like 2.50 USD and they seemed... okay but we got weird ones, like taco pizza. Maybe I just did not get the Correct Orv's Experience?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have somehow never seen those or have glossed over them every time, but dang, it's hard to be mad at a pizza that costs a dollar.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Drinks and something to watch are the best sides with pizza, you have grown wise with age.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Crusty Nutsack posted:

ate some of this beaut tonight

tons of sauce and tons of cheese. it was probably the best frozen pizza cheese I've had, and yes better than those overpriced Lotzza Motzza ones. better-than-restaurant cheese pulls, even after it had cooled off a while. don't know how far they distribute, but highly recommend!

Oh heck that looks good. I checked out the maker, they're in Oshkosh but I haven't seen them in any central WI grocers, which is a shame. I agree that the Lotzza Motzza stuff is good, but it's also as expensive as ordering from a pizzeria, which in many ways defeats the object of a frozen pizza.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

drat that looks good. Did it come out as ~pillowy~ as that?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

gently caress that looks good. Glad I was already planning to pop a Lotzza Motzza in this afternoon to sate the cravings.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I feel like they are more trouble than they're worth, but if you get one that works well and you don't mind the extra time it will take to make the stone hot, yeah, they can be good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I would have a full freezer for months with 6 dollar Brew Pubs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

No wonder I haven't heard of them. That does look pretty good; is it a real photo, or a stock one?

You can get cheap frozen pizzas here, a Jack's is usually ~2USD, but they're not very good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

drat, that's a testament to both the pizza and your photography then.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ninurta posted:

1. Loose sausage. Most of the sausage was scattered over the top of the pizza and didn't melt into the cheese.

I can only think of one brand that is pretty consistent with scattering and that is Home Run. They arrange pepperoni into a grid, and we get this fairly often because one of my roommates has a touch of the OCD.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Would you say that it was just as good while still frozen, or did the temperature (or lack thereof) negatively impact the meal for you?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There's a limit to how bad a stuffed crust pizza can be.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have made stuffed crust at home from my own dough, and that was exactly what we did, stuffed sticks of string cheese into the perimeter and rolled it up. Tasted about right, honestly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You know, I hadn't even considered one until now. I have two questions, though: is it worth getting if I can only get the very cheapest models, and how much of a pain are they to clean.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There's definitely an art to it, but you can have good frozen pies that are not cracker crust. Digornio always ends up soggy no matter what, but Home Run and a few other brands manage to have thicker crusts that wind up crispy or firm in all the right places.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Shamefully, I come to you with a tale of a pizza that wasn't frozen but was sold uncooked and refrigerated; my first ever visit to an Aldi was tonight and they had a 16" za that looked pretty good, the chilled take and bakes that are not fully frozen. But I mention this because it was such a remarkable pizza.

I think this might be the most mediocre pizza I have ever eaten. It was absolutely not good, the sauce was very weak and clearly had almost no spice in it, there wasn't much cheese, the pepperoni was bland, crust was doughy but fine. But that's the thing, it wasn't actively bad either. No weird flavors, wasn't a grease soup, nothing like that. It's remarkable that someone managed to make a pizza so bland that it's almost a unique experience in my life, and I wanted to share it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn, I think I would love a pizza extruder, just hold down the button for a minute and boom pizza

I think you mean just hold down the button forever.

Like those rats that they hooked up to the pleasure button electrodes who laid on the buttons until they died.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

helperdog posted:

I had a frozen pizza last night it had like 3 kinds of peperoni

Did it have the little diced up bits? I love that, I am a sucker.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Decided to try the Digiorno pan pizzas, hadn't had one before and I think they are new-ish? They're not at my usual grocer, anyway.

It's alright, but I don't care for the brand normally anyway, there are better options, and this is more or less the same but with a lot more crust, much breadier - sort of overwhelms the rest of the pizza. To their credit, the edges of the thing do get crispy and delicious in the exact right way that a pan pizza should, but then the rest of the thing just doesn't have enough sauce or topping to offset the crazy amount of dough in this thing.

I did overcook this a little, said 24m and it came out underdone, but two minutes more was too much; I don't think that would have changed any of the above, though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I am resurrecting this thread out of sheer outrage. My roommates did the shopping this time, and they apparently don't know the rule that every good frozen pizza has a transparent wrapper, so you can see what's within. If they're hiding it from you, it's for a good reason. They bought this, which looks alright:

But it conceals an abomination.

Look at it. LOOK AT IT!! THIS PIZZA HAS BALD SPOTS. THERE ARE MULTIPLE LARGE SEGMENTS OF THIS WITH BARE CRUST. Most of the rest of what is covered has little to no cheese, and even the sauce is thin. It has no seasoning whatsoever. And this was the best of the three pizzas we got from them, the cheese pizza was this but without toppings, for the same price, and the deluxe was not just skimpy it had even less cheese and sauce than this.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

a sexual elk posted:

I mean you should have few string cheeses on hand for aaany frozen pizza you might pick up.

We wound up fixing this one with a bag of mixed mozzarella/cheddar, olives, mushrooms, mozzarella discs, oregano, and rosemary, but at that point we pretty much just made our own pizza. Even then the crust was not great, would have been better skipping buying this and making my own dough.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Nah. Not sure what it is for the Maruchan but you can still get Shin and Nongshim and the other good stuff for about a buck a packet.

Frozen food has just gotten really expensive. A damned shame.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Wait what? I would like to know more.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

gently caress, that does sound good. Heavy but good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Shame that you didn't care for it, but at least it went to a good cause.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

whos that broooown posted:

i tried their croissant pizza a couple years ago when they first introduced it.

it wasn't bad or anything, it just felt wrong and unnerving in a david lynch kinda way

Yeah, agreed on this. A good way to sum it up.

If I see the eggs benedict pizza I will try it and let the thread know, but I don't know if it will be stocked locally.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You were blessed for picking Detroit-style.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

I recently learned that there exists a frozen pizza tier below Totino's. Behold the pizza horror of Mama Celeste.

That legitimately looks worse than the half-bald pizza which repulsed me so last page. I hope you did not pay more than two dollars or your regional equivalent for that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TelevisedInsanity posted:

My favorite frozen pizza is the California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken that was in this single serve style, but i haven't had it in a while.

Every pizza is single serve if you want it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Detroit style tends to sit heavily, lot of bread. Doable, but with regrets. Haven't heard of that brand but if they didn't totally gently caress it up, should be delicious though.