Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I live in South America and it is a nearly universal custom here to drink this sort of green tea-ish infusion using a regional plant called yerba mate (pronounced mah-teh). I'm not sure if it's caffeine or an analogue (I've heard the term "mateína" tossed around vs cafeína which is caffeine). I started drinking it when I was a teenager a few years after moving here but it was then just a social ritual, once I started university it became part of my morning routine. I am drinking mate right now. It's great to wake up in the morning, but I've always wondered what the relative amounts of caffeine compared to coffee is like, as I go through about a liter or so over the course of a day. I don't drink coffee so I have no point of comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

Yerba Mate is comparable to coffee but varies a lot.

Before COVID hosed it, I lived walking distance from an empanada place with full mate service. :smith:

Interesting! Do you enjoy it? I find it's an acquired taste for most people. Empanadas are also glorious and a food staple here and in Argentina.

I remember the last time I was in the US for my sister's wedding, some guy was drinking a carbonated beverage in a can that said yerba mate and I lost my poo poo and had to take a picture to show all my friends.

GABA ghoul posted:

I have the same reaction some times. This is what I've found out so far:

- caffeine makes some people piss like an elephant and leads to dehydration, which makes you tired. Try drinking a glass of water with the coffee and see if it gets better
- magnesium supplements interact with the caffeine, try some
- nicotine interacts with caffeine. Skip the cigarette/vape and see how the coffee affects you then
- carbs interact with caffeine. Try not eating them or drinking coffee on an empty stomach and see what happens

Basically, caffeine is a lovely stimulant that interacts with almost everything and gives inconsistent results if you even so much as look at it wrong

Re: caffeine and magnesium, what are those interactions like? I recently discovered some varieties of yerba mate are magnesium-fortified and have been pondering how that modulates the effect of caffeine ever since.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

yeah i actually like it a lot but im too lazy to do it properly myself

god i would kill to spend a weekend morning over there in the sun w/ a huge thing of mate and a corn empanada and some chimichurri for dippin'

The other day I heard the story of the origin of the word chimichurri, apparently some British tourist was eating at a restaurant here and said "give me curry" and the mangled result of the waiter's English was "chimichurri" and they just whipped up whatever they had and so chimichurri was born.

Chomp8645 posted:

Woah it's Tosk! Keep posting buddy, you're almost at the big 100!

I'm hoping to make it by the time my account is a decade old. Nothing compared to the lifespan of these venerable forums, but a substantial percentage of my own meager existence nonetheless. I think I've been lurking for about ten years at this point anyway.

bagual posted:

i made a guide for goons a while ago with horrible quality pics

This is rad and totally accurate. It's ambiguous in your guide, but just in case, make sure the water you add before the bombilla isn't boiling!