Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I've been on the picket line for months and it cost me thousands of dollars. We didn't fold, but we had a strong union and a healthy strike fund to help keep our heads above water.

Money is only one aspect of it, though. You need strong solidarity and belief in what you're doing. Thabks I'll hang up and listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

You also need a lot of money for a legal team for when you inevitably get hit with injunctions that limit your ability to affect the company's day to day activities in any real way

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The company will limit your legal right to picket, if your country/state even has that right to begin with. Say if you set up a line at a warehouse trying to limit a truck's access, for instance. The government will almost definitely be against you. The courts will probably grant whatever relief the company wants. The police will most definitely harass you and arrest you for any number of reasons, so you'll need money to fight that too. The media will be against you and help sway public opinion. Then there are the strike-breaking companies to fight against, which the employer will hire. There's no limit to what they will pull.

An organization will spend magnitudes more to break a strike than it would cost to give the workers what they're asking in the first place. It's an uphill climb in basically every aspect. That's why most of it comes down to how hard the workers themselves are willing to fight.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Do they have to picket? If they just stayed home and "put their hands in their pockets" as Bill Haywood might say, wouldn't they starve Amazon out?

Never underestimate how many scabs there are willing to step on the neck of somebody else to get a good paycheck. Strike-breaking organizations have a lot of resources for that and take care of the hiring for the employer. They will probably get a bonus for crossing the picket line while the workers are at home, whether it is at signing or a premium per hour.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Applewhite posted:

That's why I was thinking the strike should happen around Christmas time. There's no way they could hire enough scabs to meet the demand in time.
Mine started around Christmas time.

Scabs have no families to worry about. They crawl out of the depths of Hades whenever called upon:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Applewhite posted:

So there are obstacles. Let's make this year's goon project about taking down Amazon.
It's definitely possible. The best case scenario is when you don't necessarily feel like you won, but you definitely know that the company didn't either. It feels really good and worth it when you resist.