Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Loving these stats, you're the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, I figure I'll start a new thread in November. We can hash out any rule changes and then make noms and set schedule and etc. But after October. And I actually got one last project for this year/thread.

For the non basketball fans you all probably know that our tournament is based on the annual college basketball tournament that has 64 schools face off in what is commonly called March Madness, but is officially the NCAA Tournament. A lesser known tournament is the NIT - or National Invitation Tournament. This is also colloquially sometimes called the “Not In Tournament” since its made up of teams that missed the cut for the larger 64 team tournament. So I decided to do the same thing as my October challenge. I took the next 16 directors and teams who failed to miss the cut for our tournament or get a Play In matchup and I’m going to speed run them through a tournament in October.

Its fairly simple. I’ve drawn 16 films and I’m gonna watch them. I’ll put up a poll and let people decide who advances. Then October 8th I’ll draw 8 new films for the second round. New poll, Oct 15th Final Four, and Oct 22nd the Championship matchup. Then I’ll watch one last movie from the championship to make 31 films.

Anyone who wants to vote can. If no one does (or in the event of a tie) I’ll just pick them myself. If anyone wants to play along they’re welcome. Anyone who completes the challenge by watching and reviewing all the films in the October Challenge thread will be rewarded with an automatic bid in to 2022 for any director or team of their choosing in addition to the 8 chosen by council. If I fail the challenge I’ll… uh… give one automatic bid to the team/director I hate the most? Like a NoePrize? I dunno.

Mostly its just fun for me and another October gimmick to do. I made that logo and spreadsheet page in March so I’ve been looking forward to it. But I’d love for people to play along. And I fully expect you all to troll me and make me watch everything I dread watching. Yeah, I’m expecting to see Uwe Boll’s whole catalogue this October. The stuff I get myself into…

Note: This is not an official Bracketology tournament so all films are still eligible for future tournaments.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 27, 2021

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Aw yea!! I definitely won't be able to watch em all, but there's some gems that the rubes of the Bracketology voting club did not deem suitable for the heavy hitter tournament!
Movie list is in the spreadsheet?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You've got some drat good stuff in there. The Company of Wolves, Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, Tales From the Crypt, As Above So Below, and Alice all just in the first round.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Oh yeah continuing the trend of my teams losing, Company of Wolves is obviously far better than The Purge. But I think I at least nominated Neil Jordan back in the day, and I'm gonna put him on a team for the next tournament :D

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

What does completing the challenge entail? Posting write-ups for every film?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, just do reviews in the October Horror Challenge thread. I should have clarified, this is basically just my October Challenge.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Going to be pretty tight for me but I’ll try. I’m going on vacation next week, so I have 6 and a half days to watch 16 movies on top of the 2 a day I’m doing for Hooptober right now. Good thing I don’t have a job, I guess.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well to further clarify, 16 movies is the first round. There will be 31 films total. 8 in the second, 4 in the 3rd, 2 in thef finals, and one last from the champ. I'm going October Challenge so to October 31st. 31 films in 31 days. The order or when you watch them is irrelevant so you don't have the finish the first round before the second round starts, you just gotta do it eventually. If you get all 31 reviewed in the October Challenge thread before the challenge is up, you win.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I’m expecting to see Uwe Boll’s whole catalogue this October. The stuff I get myself into…

Having seen all the films now, I think you’re safe. Seed opens with footage of minks being skinned alive. Hopefully that should dissuade ironic voting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Why should you be afraid to die? Your soul has been dead for a long long time.

:spooky: October Horror Challenge 2021: Don't let the ghosts and the ghouls disturb you, love :spooky:

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

OK, can I just drop my first 16 write-ups here, then? Logging them in the challenge thread is against the rules since they were all watched before the 1st.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Servoret posted:

OK, can I just drop my first 16 write-ups here, then? Logging them in the challenge thread is against the rules since they were all watched before the 1st.

Sure. I'm a pushover.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its time, baby!

Ok, let me see if I can make the “rules” clearer.

- These are the 16 directors and teams who just missed the cut for this year’s tournament.
- This is an unofficial tournament, so all these movies can be used in next year’s.
- I have drawn 16 films for the first round, and will draw a new round each week.
- A poll will be up for each round to decide a winner, a coin flip will break ties.
- There will be 31 films in all including an extra film from the Champion drawn Oct 28th.
- The challenge is to watch all 31 films in October and review them in the October Challenge thread. Order is irrelevant. I do not have to watch 16 films in 7 days.
- Anyone (besides me) who completes the challenge gets an Automatic Bid in next year’s tournament to send any nominee they wish directly into a tournament with a 3 seed (or 4-5 if a lot of people do it).
- If you do play along just post your reviews in the October Challenge (or here, I guess but I don't want to distract from the bigger group thing) and poke me if I don’t notice.

Simple enough? All are welcome to play along but if I don’t complete this I’ll punish myself in some way. I haven’t figured out how yet.

Here’s the matchups drawn for the first round!

1. (Goat’s The Vicious Brothers) Colin Minihan’s It Stains the Sand Red vs. 16. (Goat’s Raiders of the Tomb) John Erick Dowdle’s As Above So Below
My team vs my team so no surprise that I’ve seen both. Should be an easy pair of watches I do when I’m chilling or something. AASB is one of my modern favorites and one I can watch over and over. I’ve seen ISTSR once and thought it was interesting but flawed. Now that I’ve seen the rest of Minihan’s films I’m curious to revisit it. Should be my easiest matchup.

2. Jan Svankmajer’s Alice vs. 15. Takashi Shimizu’s Howling Village
Two films I’ve absolutely never heard of before but the kind of have me intrigued. Alice sounds like it might be too weird and disturbing for me but a disturbing animated version of Alice Through the Looking Glass sounds appropriate and interesting. And I’m always game for a haunted house film and while I haven’t seen Ju-On or the Grudge in some time its a good pedigree. Or maybe he’s a one trick pony? Dunno. I’ll find out.

3. Sergio Martino’s Island of the Fishmen vs. 14. (Goat’s Team Skellington) Tim Burton’s Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Sweeney Todd is one of the films that was on my list last year for a rewatch but didn’t make the cut, so kind of excited for a rewatch. I don’t think I loved it but it feels a fun easy watch to get in the Halloweeny mood. Definitely a “watch while decorating” film. And the Fishmen movie has actually had me really interested since I drew it 6 months ago. Probably not great but seems like it could be a fun B creature film. And it gets compared to Humaoids of the Deep which is on my Hooptober list so might be an interesting pairing.

4. Neil Jordan’s The Company of Wolves vs. 13. (mod’s Purgin' with Friends) James DeMonaco’s The Purge
I actually started Company of Wolves earlier this year but just wasn’t feeling it, but that’s a “classic” I’ve been meaning to check off. The Purge is… well its the only of the Purge movies I’ve seen and everyone yells me the sequels are better but I never bothered because I was so cold on this one. So maybe this sparks me to watch the others? I don’t know. There’s a lot of movies but there’s a 50/50 chance the team advances so we’ll see.

5. Roy Ward Baker’s Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires vs. 12. (YP’s Team Somebody's Gotta Go First A.K.A Team Dollar Store Grab Bag) Joel Potrykus’ Relaxer
On one hand I’m excited to have an excuse to finish the Hammer Dracula films this year, on the other hand this being the last film means I need to watch a bunch before it so I probably won’t get to this one before the second round is drawn. We’ll see. Relaxer on the other hand… I have already been told by the team builder (quite enthusiastically) that I will hate it. So best to get it out of the way early?

6. Ryuhei Kitamura’s Alive vs. 11. Uwe Boll’s Seed
loving Uwe Boll. And isn’t this the super edgelordy one? Ugh. If there’s one film I’d like to skip its definitely that one. I probably won’t like the other one either but I just didn’t dig in because Uwe was drawing enough dread. This is the bad matchup, I fear. The one that makes me question why I do this to myself.

7. Hideo Nakata’s The Complex vs. 10. Freddie Francis’s Tales from the Crypt
Tales from the Crypt is another classic I’ve meant to get to so I’m glad I got a few of those in here to really make a fuller and more diverse October list. I’m excited for it and have been for 6 months. And a haunted house film from the director of Ju On and now one from the director of Ringu. Maybe not great films but a fun theme I might try and pair together. That’s really the fun of this.

8. Eli Roth’s Hostel vs. 9. Steve Miner’s Halloween H20
I was 100% planning to rewatch some of the Halloween movies this year leading up to Halloween Kills but I wasn’t sure what “continuity” to follow. I might just do the JLH films which includes H20 but I also might just string the whole thing out and watch them all. I honestly don’t know. I’ve never seen the Producer’s Cut of 6 so I might finally do that. Hostel is also a rewatch but not one I really want to do. I don’t remember hating it but I definitely remember being disappointed by the direction it went. I’ve never seen the sequels so maybe I’ll give them a look after this, but I dunno. Probably not unless the second one gets drawn.

So there we go. That’s the first 16. I’ll draw the next 8 on October 7th. Here’s the poll for who should advance. All are welcome to vote whether you’re watching films or not. You have control of my watchlist. Be kind.

Vote
October Challenge Thread
Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

OK, I don’t think these are great write-ups, but a challenge is a challenge. They get increasingly perfunctory as we go down the list. I really struggled to have anything to say about a few of these. Ratings are purely a measure of how engrossed I was in a viewing; I don’t think I’m any arbiter of quality.

It Stains the Sands Red:
Borrows a page from Joss Whedon in making a protagonist out of a character that normally would be treated as a disposable joke in an exploitation movie. Molly is a coke addicted stripper traipsing through the desert in a ridiculous outfit of fake cheetah fur coat, leather bustier, leopard print stretch pants, and platform heels. We find out later that she’s an absentee mother who’s such a bad mom that she doesn’t know her own child’s age or even keep a picture of him to remember him by. But It Stains the Sands Red humanizes her and casts her as a survivor, someone who sees herself as a good person who’s just had bad experiences in life.

I can understand people turning on the film over the rape scene halfway through, but I think it follows the function of humanizing a “soiled” character and casting her as a survivor. We sympathize with her as her later encounters with other survivors are colored by her earlier trauma. And it provides another counterpoint to the way Molly’s type would be treated in an exploitation film— in the Seventies, a rape scene would be an excuse to inject a little T and A into a movie, whereas here she’s very much not sexualized in the scene and it doesn’t serve to gratify the audience at all (at least not until the point where her rapist meets a bloody demise).

I was worried that the gimmick of a two hander with an inarticulate zombie as the other lead would get old fast, but this held my attention throughout. (3.5/5)

As Above So Below:
Felt very artificial and video gamey, from the Lara Croft-esque protagonist to the puzzles she has to solve and the dungeon environment she interacts with. Characters act like idiots frequently to move the action from set piece to set piece, and they’re all kind of cyphers, there in sufficient numbers to supply a body count. So the film never got under my skin to provide scares the way that seems intended.

I don’t really get this “as above, so below” stuff. Lara Croft gives us about six different interpretations in one speech. Wikipedia suggests the phrase reflects an archaic belief in cosmic and earthly hierarchies. Modern day occultists apparently use it to justify belief in the literal efficacy of magic powers. The filmmakers? “As I believe the world to be, so it is” is metaphorically true in some senses, I guess. But the profundity they seem to find in the phrase didn’t really transmit to me. (2.5/5)

Alice:
A dreamlike narrative, but everything on the screen has a wonderfully substantial, tactile quality. Nothing is plastic or artificial; props are real items, made of wood, metal, glass, cloth. Creatures in this world aren’t cartoons, but are made of fur and skin and bone. The stop-motion process itself gives the proceedings a natural, handmade quality even as it animates creatures and objects moving in absurd, impossible ways. These disjunctions produce a total fit for the uncanny, contradictory world of the source material even as they go beyond it into something idiosyncratically Švankmajer’s. (4/5)

Howling Village:
Has a few decent scare moments (the opening in the titular village, a surprise suicide, the deaths of some people trapped in a phone booth), but a lot of this is a slow burn with the horror supposed to be coming from spirits who are just people standing in corners who can only be seen by the main character. They appear and then the camera cuts away and then cuts back to show that they’ve disappeared. This happens a lot. Most of the spirits in the film are represented by actors just wearing a little greasepaint. Maybe all this is spooky if you actually believe in ghosts?

I started to nod off around the eighty minute mark, which unfortunately is the point where the slow burn ends. So my memories of the climax are kind of impressionistic. But it resolves mysteries that it turns out weren’t very complicated or interesting. And then there’s another ten minutes of wrap-up before a kind of goofy gotcha at the end.

Not terrible, but not as entertaining as the director’s earlier Ju-on: The Grudge. (3/5)

Island of the Fishmen:
Unexpectedly classy for an Italian exploitation movie called Island of the Fishmen. This isn’t a horror as much as it is an adventure story. And the adventure part is pretty exciting, actually, but it’s backloaded into the last twenty minutes. The second act takes up an hour and it’s just the hero being held captive while the villain monologues at him a lot. So unfortunately not as watchable as it could have been. (2.5/5)

Sweeney Todd:
I like Sondheim, but wasn’t much into Burton’s overwhelming aesthetic. Honestly, I nodded off a lot watching this one. I think I would enjoy seeing the live musical in a theatrical environment where I could be fully present as an audience member, though. (2/5)

The Company of Wolves:
I’ve been watching way too many movies lately. I first watched this less than six months ago but I retain no memory of that viewing. Looking at the credits, I was like, Angela Lansbury is in this?! I guess the film was too dream-like and diffuse to remain in mind. At a certain point on this rewatch I lost the thread and my attention trailed off. Unfortunately, six months from now I probably won’t retain any memory of this viewing either. (2.5/5)

The Purge:
Didn’t quite work for me because it was a thriller where I wasn’t really invested in the safety of the protagonists. Them being the “nice” rich people wasn’t enough to get me on their side. The politics of this seem weirdly muddled too; the idea that purging “undesirables” from society would create an economic boom is just a fascist myth, but here it actually works even though the filmmakers are trying to position themselves as anti-fascist? (2.5/5)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires:
This is supposed to be a Hammer Dracula film. Where’s Christopher Lee? And this is set in Hong Kong, but the vampires don’t hop? Oh well. Kind of an ungainly hybrid. It has HK fight choreography being sold by UK cinematography and editing, and it just doesn’t land correctly. Also, the way Dracula goes out at the end is hilariously cheap. (2.5/5)

Relaxer:
A little like looking into a mirror, as I sat powering through my eighth film of the day trying to complete STAC Goat’s challenge under my own ridiculously stringent conditions. I wasn’t repulsed by the cartoon of the bachelor lifestyle on display here; to me it just felt relatable. (3/5)

Alive:
Terminally dreary. Everything on the screen is green and black and brown because it’s 2002 and The Matrix is still in, I guess. I mean. it’s supposed to be oppressive because it’s set in a prison, but this was so dour and static that I just wasn’t interested. Oh, and this is about an imprisoned protagonist getting Neo-like superpowers because it’s 2002 and The Matrix is still in, I guess. (1.5/5)

Seed:
Kind of charming that this starts with a disingenuous title card about the filmmakers’ good intentions, straight out of the playbook of the original exploitation films. What are the odds that Uwe Boll makes it onto the Criterion Channel someday, given that they’re showing Herschell Gordon Lewis and Doris Wishman films now? (1/5)

The Complex:
A bit of a let down compared to Ringu. The narrative wasn’t as strong and it lacked any scares that could compare to the strongest images from the latter film. And the only twist wasn’t really a surprise. (2.5/5)

Tales from the Crypt:
This wasn't as bad as I was fearing it would be. It's fine, competently made, and it has its moments, but it is very slow and silent. It's ironic that this film relies heavily on sequences with no dialogue at all. The original EC horror comics that it's based on are some of the most overwritten comics of all time. Their standard format was to include a very verbose caption over each individual panel that was usually completely superfluous to enjoying the story. Bill Gaines employed the best artists in the business but for some reason distrusted their storytelling abilities very unnecessarily.

Without all those words, this is a portmanteau composed of really simple stories. Person does a bad thing, is then gruesomely and often excessively punished. It's largely missing the gleefully trashy tone of the original comics, although the segment with Joan Collins rushing around trying to cover up her crime is pretty good in that respect. Instead of the Fifties modern pop of the comics with their punning horror hosts, here we get a literal ancient crypt and Ralph Richardson playing a dour judge in a medieval monk's cowl.

I thought the segments that worked best were the ones that kept closest to the original comics' concern for social justice, especially the third sequence, with Peter Cushing playing a sympathetic widower in a part that seems like it was written to reflect the sad events that had recently occurred in his personal life. There's a sort of a theme of punishment for venality linking the stories, but sometimes it's really tenuous. The second segment is by far the weakest, with Ian Hendry ending up tortured for all eternity for the hideous crime of... running out on his wife? (3/5)

Hostel:
I was put off of watching Hostel for a long time due to the “torture porn” label. When it came out on DVD, my local indie video rental store had a big post-it note stuck to the cover saying “Not funny!” like it was an extreme content advisory. Except, Hostel actually is sort of funny? And the torture scenes and gore are really minimal; hardly anything I couldn’t take. Hostel’s mostly a thriller, it turns out, and it’s fine for what it is? (2.5/5)

Halloween H20:
Maybe the only thing I really liked about the 2018 Halloween was the way it inverted the Freudianism of the original’s climax. In the 1978 Halloween, Laurie and Dr. Loomis try to use phallic weapons against Michael Myers and none of them stop him for long. I think that could be a reading for why Laurie keeps dropping the knife: as a woman, she can’t match The Shape in his role as the avatar of cis-male violence. So in 2018, he’s defeated with yonic weaponry: snared in a trap and smothered in flame. And I guess you could make a reading in H20 for that too, if you want to stretch things a bit, but The Shape’s dispatch doesn’t really resonate with me in the same way. Myers is trapped under a car and, charitably, symbolically castrated by Laurie, because the head is an appendage, I guess? But it mostly reads to me like the franchise is exhausted and they just couldn’t think of another way to make sure that Myers was no fooling finally dead. Which of course he isn’t four sequels later, which weakens H20’s ending further. (2.5/5)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I voted. Pretty easy votes actually, I'm really really not an Eli Roth fan and I love my Hammer/Amicus guys and of course Halloween so my votes were pretty simple.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, hey, its Wednesday. I didn't mean to do it like that again but its funny how things work out sometimes. Anyway, I haven't even watch half of my first round movies so I'm already falling behind but the tournament will advance regardless and I'll have to just make it up. I'll draw the second round tomorrow, the 7th. Tomorrow at midnight? At noon? At like 4 AM on the 8th? I honestly don't know. This is the NIT, I'm playing it fast and loose. But sometime within the next 8 to 36 hours I'll post the second round.

So if you wanna help shape what I watch the rest of the month go feel fre eto vote!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

New Round! 15 of you voted so thank you very much for participating! Nearly everything was a blowout so you all were pretty united and kindly you didn’t seem to be out to torture me. Well, one of you voted for Uwe Boll so you were playing games but the rest Unless you’re all playing a more sophisticated game of chess than I can see. I guess we’ll find out. But here’s the results.

And so we move on…

16. (Goat’s Raiders of the Tomb) Stephen Sommers’ The Mummy vs 9. Steve Miner’s Friday the 13th Part III

Fun fact, I woke up this morning and checked the poll and saw that every contest was a blowout except for a perfect tie between Eli Roth and Steve Miner. So I immediately made my vote against Roth and locked things because I wanted so badly to not watch another on of his movies. And thus I was reward with a Friday the 13th movie. Karma and the Random Number Generator are cruel. I’d have to double check but I actually think 3 is the one that I tapped out on the first time I tried to watch the Friday movies. But ah well, I guess at least its the one that is “the real Jason”, right? I can tell you I’m not watching the first two. On the flip side I’m pretty certain you’re all gonna vote against it but I’ve already got The Mummy on and am watching it because its a very easy, very familiar watch for me. Maybe not the most horror movie but maybe the best Mummy movie? Oh, who cares? we all know Jason’s gonna win.

2. Jan Svankmajer’s Lunacy vs 10. Freddie Francis’ Trog

I never heard of Jan before Alice and I go from a Lewis Carroll adaption to an Edgar Allen Poe adaption. Should be weird. And speaking of Trog doesn’t look like the film I would have picked from Francis’ list if I had a choice, but that’s the point of the random draw. It seems a bit less daunting than a two hour Jan film but this is the definition of two movies I’d never watch in a million years from two directors I had never heard of a week ago. Its why I’m doing this.

3. Sergio Martino’s The Scorpion with Two Tails vs 6. Ryuhei Kitamura’s No One Lives

I didn’t get to either of these guy’s first round films yet but even though I don’t really know their names I’m not entirely unfamiliar with their work. I’ve seen a couple of Martino’s giallo films and honestly liked them more than most so I’m cautiously hopeful that this giallo isn’t so bad. And I actually have no only seen a couple of Kitamura’s films but I know for a fact I’ve seen No One Lives. I don’t know why i know that because I don’t remember a thing about it. But I do remember seeing it and then forgetting everything about it. Probably not the best sign but what can you do?

4. Neil Jordan’s In Dreams vs 5. Roy Ward Baker’s The Vault of Horror

Its funny, I didn’t even know Tales From the Crypt was THAT Tales From The Crypt but when I watched it and saw there was another I went and added it to my list. So once again the RNG pulls off some magic and cuts me a break. On the other hand I have no idea what to expect from In Dreams but hey, Anette Benning is cool. I’m not digging in too deep with these for the pull quotes or anything or doing them weeks or months ahead of time like I was in the real tournament. So I really am just drawing random movies here and figuring it out as I go along. So we’ll see how that one goes.

That’s it. Its kind of cool that 7 of the 8 are directors I honestly couldn’t have named in September. I’ve seen a number of their filmographies but didn’t have a name or auteur attached to them or anything. So that was kind of my goal, to once again expand my scope and break out of my comfort zone. I won’t like all of them, I may hate a few, but I really love the random sampling of stuff and people I’m unfamiliar with at least as a practice. Its kind of selling me on doing this again next year, unless watching Seed breaks me entirely. And I still have to watch 10 of the first round movies so hopefully I can pull this off. But its a frontloaded idea so I have time.

Feel free to vote and decide who advances to the Final Four and I keep watching. Next round drawn October 14th!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Shockingly I've seen not a single movie but The Mummy, which of course slaps.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Most of these are new to me and I'm terrifyingly behind on this and haven't been able to do the double feature screenings I had hoped I would with it. But still have time. Thankfully its only 7 additional movies added after this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey, hey its a Wednesday!
People think I'm falling behind.
But I'm too busy binging
To get these movies in...

Sang to the theme to the Monkees for some reason. I'm over tired.

Sometime tomorrow I'll draw the Final Four after which only 3 more movies will be added to my list. I was lagging behind because I was trying to make use of my Hulu and AMC+ subs before they ran out a few days ago. And now I'm just trying to finish up Chucky and Halloween for their big debuts this week. But next week. Totally next week I'll get a jump on this challenge. Sure.

Feel free to vote and decide who advances to the Final Four and I keep watching. Next round drawn October 14th!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Final Four time! Jason goes down!

2. Jan Svankmajer’s Faust vs 6. Ryuhei Kitamura’s Versus
I’m starting to think Jan is gonna win this whole thing. I still haven’t gotten to Lunacy but Alice in Wonderland, Poe, and now Faust is certainly an interesting set of draws. I haven’t watched either Kitamura film yet and I’m really gonna have to get on that this week, so I guess I’m about to do a crash course on the guy. Not sure this matchup is my thing but it sure is Bracketology and the second half of October is gonna be a lot of it. Should be interesting.

5. Roy Ward Baker’s The Vampire Lovers vs. 16. (Goat’s Raiders of the Tomb) Stephen Sommers’ Van Helsing

Real talk, I don’t even think this team makes sense. I think it was the last team I made and i was like “why the hell not?” At the end I was just throwing people together. And I’m not entirely sure why its advancing but I’m kind of glad because as much as I wouldn’t call Sommers’ films great or even overly horrory they’re kind of easy popcorn watches which give kind of a break during the month. I actually kind of hated Van Helsing but I’ve been meaning to rewatch it so I’m actually pleased. And the Vampire Lovers seems like an interesting and kind of different film from Baker than the Hammer/Atticus stuff I’ve seen so far. I’m looking forward to this one.

I’m behind but its crunch time. I have a feeling this is the week I either catch up on this thing or start really rethinking my tendency to take on to much at once. But I’m committed and its almost down to two. And you continue to be the people who can decide what I watch. And if anyone wants to join Servoret in chasing down the challenge and a Bracketology Bye feel free. You’re not that much more behind me.

Feel free to vote and decide who advances to the Championship and I keep watching. Next round drawn October 21st!

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 15, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh hey, its wednesday. Or was wednesday. I'm slacking and off schedule. But sometime in the next 24 hours I'll draw the championship matchup for this! So if you're still interested in shaping what movies I binge hard these last couple of weeks feel free to vote. Next round drawn today/tomorrowish!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Championship Time! I still have half the field to watch but I’m committed!

2. Jan Svankmajer’s Little Otik vs 5. Roy Ward Baker’s Scars of Dracula

So I’m always saying “See? These really are random draws” but this one is super convenient. Scars was already on my list because 7 Golden Vampires got drawn back in the first round for Baker and I wanted to work through all the Hammer Draculas and just hadn’t gotten around yet. And Little Otik might actually be able to pull double duty for one of the tougher Fran’s Bingo boxes. But I swear this was random. I had even had to redraw Otik because I couldn’t find a copy before someone else did. I’m not sure what I can see here as I’ve been going through Baker and Svankmajer quite a bit here. Baker’s definitely more my thing and I’ve been looking forward to the Hammer Dracula binge all month and it just keeps getting pushed back. Jan is a tougher one for me. He’s weird. I don’t quite get him. But he’s definitely unique. Knowing you all he’ll win this thing and I’ll get one more at least after this. But maybe some more cozy Hammer goodness to end my Halloween on? Guess we’ll have to see! But I think this is one matchup I’m gonna do right away. And one of these two are gonna be the first HalloweeNIT Champion!

That’s the end. If you’ve rode with me this far I hope you chime in and decide who should be the first ever HalloweeNIT Champion! I’ll draw the winner and final film October 28th, so still another week for me to try and binge all the movies I missed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, last time.

Its Wednesday! This hasn't quite been what I hoped it would be but its been a ride. One movie left to add to the pool. If you want to have a voice in who the first HalloweeNIT Champ is now is the time.

That’s the end. If you’ve rode with me this far I hope you chime in and decide who should be the first ever HalloweeNIT Champion! I’ll draw the winner and final film sometime in the next day, the 28th, probably early so Servoret has as much time as possible to watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its over! The first ever HalloweeNIT Champion is Roy Ward Baker!

So this wasn’t really what I had hoped it would be but I blame only myself. In my head I was gonna do streams and be constantly posting side by side reviews and this would be another fun group thing maybe, if a smaller and less dedicated one. But I never did get streaming and I took on too many challenges to make this a propriety. So that’s on me. Still, I’m mostly pleased. The Champion Baker was a genuinely enjoyable set of movies and basically everyone in this field was new to me. I love having my scope widened and being tested and while not all of the films I tried were winners and some were real losers for me I don’t have much regret. Except maybe for Uwe Boll.

But there’s one film left to hit 31. And even though I’ve still gotta do half a dozen other films to fill out this thing I’m genuinely excited for this one to be one of my last films of the season. If I can pull this off.

Roy Ward Baker’s Asylum (1972)

So that’s the last you’ll hear me rant in this thread. Thank you all for your participation, whether that’s watching the films, voting in the polls, or just tolerating my long winded extra rear end. Assuming there’s still interest I’ll be back in a new thread sometime in the next month to set things up for next year’s Bracketology. I could probably use a break, you could all use a break from me. So I’ll try not to make it too soon. But I do hope we will want to do it again if you’ll have me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're overly ambitious, to a fault, but that's why we love you

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I’m done at last with the challenge. 31 not-great write-ups delivered! For the next Bracketology, I just want to do the Forties one-offs team that I mooted earlier in the thread, if that’s OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

New Season, New Thread