Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The incredible shrinking man will be the only new watch for me.

Predicting John Dies at the End will get smoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'll start by saying that I didn't enjoy 3 From Hell when I watched it in October. I don't like what it does to the ending of The Devil's Rejects (which is Rob Zombie's best movie imho) and it mostly feels like it is rehashing similar beats as that movie, but less successfully. Sid Haig is sorely missed. Back in October I said "If I was feeling generous, I'd say Zombie is doing a meta commentary on society's desire to milk a franchise until it's bone dry, but I don't know". I don't think it's completely unsuccessful. There are tense moments, some macabre laughs typical to RZ's stuff, and Richard Brake is a fun addition. I just don't have a lot of love for it and don't really think there's a strong through-line, it feels like disconnected set pieces.

On the other hand we have The Incredible Shrinking Man which was a first time watch for me. It's horror enough for the tournament I suppose, and the scenes where Scott faces off with a spider in the basement are solidly scary, considering the technological limitations. One thing I love about watching movies from this time is seeing the creative ways they make it work. The giant props as Scott gets smaller, the way he's sort of transparent and flickering when they're trying to show tiny Scott in scenes with regular-sized everything else, it's all very charming. That said, it does take a long time to get going (especially for an 81 minute run-time), and I found the ending unsatisfying.

I'll let this match-up noodle around for now and likely choose based on how swayed I am by the posts of others. I could go either way, which is great!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't want to trash 3 From Hell too hard without a rewatch because I didn't hate it or anything. It just felt incredibly self indulgent and empty to me. And I gave a pass to Zombie for 31 being self indulgent and empty but then he does this much anticipated trilogy ender the same way and I just kind of changed my expectations of Zombie going forward.

I actually funnily enough had imagined that he was gonna real weird with the film over the years. Like I imagined them LITERALLY being in Hell stylized as a prison and having to fight their way out or something. So that probably played a factor in me being disappointed by "Baby and Otis Take a Vacation." So maybe I'll appreciate it more on its own terms.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:spooky: Week 8 Bracketology Streams! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

Saturday, February 20th

1900 John Dies at the End
2050 Eraserhead

Monday, February 22nd

1900 The Incredible Shrinking Man
2030 3 From Hell

Content Warnings

Eraserhead (1978)
Contains strong gore and disturbing surreal imagery

John Dies At The End (2013)
Contains strong language, comic violence, horror and gore

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
Contains mild threat and horror

3 From Hell (2019)
strong bloody violence, sexual threat, very strong language

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Incredible Shrinking Man

A bit too heavy on the voice-over (though if you're going to narrate your story, you can do worse than Matheson I suppose) and the giant orchestra demanding I feel a certain way at all times was a lot, but the story (especially once he's abandoned downstairs) is just gripping and wonderful.
It suffers a bit in the beginning from a fairly unsympathetic lead who bullies his wife despite her trying her best in an utterly bizarre situation literally no one could prepare for, but eventually you come around on Carey and just want him to make it.
Effects and production design are all top-notch and hold up really well!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

3. (Irony or Death’s Team David) David Lynch’s Eraserhead vs. 14. Don Coscarelli’s John Dies At The End

Hot take time.

Eraserhead just doesn’t work for me. You all knew that. You all went through last summer’s David Lynch run with me and this is the most of the Lynch stuff I didn’t like. I get what draws a lot of people in on some level. The uncomfortable try noticeable score and the gruesome memorable imagery. You can certainly see Lynch’s talent and style here. When I was discussing Salo in the Discord things got a little hated when I said filmmaking is storytelling and other said not all art is storytelling. If you like Eraserhead for the art I get that. But there IS a story. I dislike that story. Its a narcissistic, pathetic dude ho gets “stuck” with a baby and we spend 90 minutes in his anxiety and depression about it before he kills his own baby because some girl slept with another guy. And then wee end watching him welcomed its a warm embrace. I respect Lynch enough to assume this is just… I dunno… working through anxieties of being a new dad and fears that he might not be able to grow up and be a father. I hope he worked through that. I just don’t care about the story and don’t care about the film. I can appreciate sights and sounds as a student of film but there’s no emotional engagement or enjoyment.

John Dies At The End is a bit of a mess. Actually “bit” is being kind. Its a big ole mess of crazy ideas and vaguely coherent timelines that comes so fast and looks that every event is basically a deus ex machina. There’s a lot of fun and crazy stuff in there and I think it all moves fast enough that I stay engaged the whole way. Well at least until the final 5 minutes or so where it weirdly decides to just get tedious for the sake of being tedious. Funny? I don’t think I agree that its “misogynistic”. There’s a very unfortunate use of gratuitous nudity for a dumb joke/gawk but I guess I’ve just gotten very used to that kind of casual gratuitous sexualization in horror. Which isn’t a good thing obviously, but it struck me as less bothersome than the dozens of films we’ve seen here some naked woman is brutally murdered. But I get the problem that the film has a kind of subtle “dude bro” feel of the early 2000s era. Its not loaded with homophobia and misogyny and racism in your face like a lot of those films, but its also got not women except to be boobs and plot devices. And that’s unfortunate. As is the ending. The ending isn’t problematic or anything, its just really underwhelming. It also kind of feels like Coscarelli trying to once again make sense of his Phantasm world and making about as much sense. Actually I guess this would be a good Phantasm sequel. But its not really.

I fully expect Eraserhead to win in a landslide. I would not be surprised if I’m the only vote against it. But most of the problems i have with JDATE are there in Eraserhead too. A story of to idiot dudes with no regard for women or a story about some rear end in a top hat who has no regard for women? An ending 10 that didn’t work for me vs 90 minutes that didn’t? A mess of a nonlinear story of weird contrived zaniness vs… cmon, we’re talking about David Lynch here. There’s just nothing for me to hook into with Eraserhead and enough for me to do in JDATE that it feels easy. Eraserhead is probably the better movie objectively speaking but it did nothing for me. JDATE isn’t a good movie, but it was a mostly fun ride.

And I chuckle when I type JDATE.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Incredible Shrinking Man was actually very interesting considering the simple premise. I enjoyed the documentary style narration, which is something that often takes away from a movie but here I thought it added an extra, almost existential layer to the story and the main character.

If you're just in it for the spider action, yea the movie does take it's time getting to all that but I really enjoyed the different phases as he's facing new challenges each time he shrinks. At first it's basically about ego, "hey I used to be 6 feet and now I'm 5'9'', this sucks!" Then it becomes about his relationship with his wife, after all how can you really be a husband to your wife when you're the size of a housecat? And then, of course, at a certain point it becomes about survival because all of the sudden you're smaller than the housecat and it sees you as prey. Finally he shrinks so much that he almost literally enters a different world, one where the regular sized people don't even know you exist and survival means learning the rules of this new world and "mastering" it.

And throughout this whole progression you get fun little bits of set design, like at a certain point when the man is using a small coffee table as a desk, or when he uses a pencil but for him it's oversized so it fills his entire hand. Or when he battles a mouse-trap in an attempt to get some food. Almost every scene in the movie has little extra things in it to emphasize his changing size. So I dunno, I just had a lot of fun with The Incredible Shrinking Man and I'm seriously considering voting for it. Which hurts, because Rob Zombie is one of my guys and it's not like I even dislike 3 From Hell. But I now need to rewatch it and really take a serious look at which film I can honestly say I like more. It's certainly possible that 3 From Hell will click with me on rewatch in a way that it didn't before, that's not uncommon. So we'll see.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Love that John Dies at the End's acronym is a Jewish dating website.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Makes me laugh every time.

6. Rob Zombie’s 3 From Hell vs. 11. (STAC Goat’s Team Universal) Jack Arnold’s The Incredible Shrinking Man

I love Devil’s Rejects. Rob Zombie made 3 of my favorite horror films of the last 20 years. I sincerely thought he was on the path to becoming one of the greatest ever. I kinda hate 3 from Hell. I didn’t think I disliked it that much. The first time I saw it I was still thinking Zombie really had the potential to be the next John Carpenter and do lots of weird crazy stuff. I thought Rejects end so satisfactorily that he wouldn’t go back to that well unless he really had an interesting idea. I mean, House of 1000 Corpses had a satanic/supernatural element with the Dr. Satan stuff that Rejcts ignored so maybe the Hell would be literal and he had some really freaky idea? I was excited to watch it so the film at least had that going for it with me. But now I was rewatching it knowing that its just kind of retread but without the subversive qualities of Rejects and with way too much indulgence in making his monsters into ultra bad rear end and ultra cool heroes. And I find that actually grosser than Rejects where he dares the audience to like the monsters but never loses site that they’re monsters. Here he just goes the opposite route. He basically pulls the old “Indiana Jones gets challenged to a sword fight and just shoots the guy because he’s not that much of a macho idiot” but instead Otis puts his gun down, wins the fight, and then the 3 just twin the impossible fight and get to be all cocky and smug and march off into the sunset. Its lame, its boring, its derivative of better films like Rejects, Natural Born Killers, and Desperado. And it kind of totally changed my view of Zombie as a filmmaker. Maybe that spark is gone and maybe he’s just content to make his hillbilly films between his music and everything else. And that’s fine for him. He’s living his best life. But I think I’m kind of done expecting more from him. Which is a little sad because I was way hype for him after Halloween 2 and Lords of Salem.

On the flip side I absolutely loved The Incredible Shrinking Man. Its weird everyone’s reactions are like “I’m surprised I liked that.” I guess its because of the stigma of being a 50s B movie? But Arnold kind of seemed way ahead of the game. Creature from the Black Lagoon looks like a modern blockbuster and even Tarantula looked pretty good. It did have a suspect story though and I was starting to worry that Arnold was an effects guy but not a story guy. But Shrinking Man not only looks great but its got a great poignant story. Taking our Shrinking Man from the depression of this illness he doesn’t understand to the anger eat the unfairness of what every knows is basically a fatal thing to the stubborn refusal to give in and die to the ultimate awakening that even though he’s lost everything in his life and his entire world has changed he refuses to give in and die. And that’s some really deep poo poo when you think about it because he’s not gonna die. He’s just gonna keep getting smaller. Eventually he’ll be so small spiders and cats won’t even notice him but he’ll be fighting dust mites or something. He’ll be coming face to face with single cell organisms. And what’s beyond that? It blows the mind to even try and imagine. There’s no real shelf life on when his illness is gonna kill him, its just gonna keep dropping him deeper and deeper into alien worlds for god knows how long. How does time even work on those levels? I dunno. I’m a dumbass not a physicist. But it loving gives me chills. Its also just a great looking movie with great affects that make you wonder how exactly they did them and so many fun oversized sets and props. Just a captivating film the whole way through with an unexpectedly moving ending.

So yeah, this one’s easy for me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

the split diopter shot with his wife and cat in human-size seats and Carey in giant-sized seats is one of the coolest, funnest shots in the whole movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Now that Fran is no longer a mod I can admit that I don't love Eraserhead. It's value as a work of surreal art and as an important moment in a great filmmakers career is obvious, but as a movie that I would want to sit down and watch, no for me it's not on the same level as a lot of Lynch's other work.

The film is certainly informative in the sense that you can see Lynch going back to it time and time again to mine it for ideas to use in his other films. And as a debut film it's extremely impressive. But I prefer Lynch when there's a bit more of a balance between the bizarre imagery and the characters/plot. I like the surreal and the bizarre as extra flavoring, not as the entire dish.

John Dies At the End is actually an impressive feat in it's own right. It's based on a book written by someone who got their start writing for Cracked.com, and he somehow parlayed that into a feature film directed by an iconic cult horror director. So the fact that it got made in the first place was very unlikely and it's actually better than a lot of what Coscarelli had been doing in recent years. It's fun, it's also got it's fair share of the Weird, and I just think it hangs together more as an entertaining film than Eraserhead does.

So I feel a bit guilty doing this, but I'm going to vote against Lynch. But I've voted this way several times before, when an "important" film goes up against something that I just simply had more fun with. Fun is a big deal for me when it comes to horror and I often use it as a tie-breaker, and that's basically what I did here.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Now that Fran is no longer a mod I can admit that I don't love Eraserhead. It's value as a work of surreal art and as an important moment in a great filmmakers career is obvious, but as a movie that I would want to sit down and watch, no for me it's not on the same level as a lot of Lynch's other work.

The film is certainly informative in the sense that you can see Lynch going back to it time and time again to mine it for ideas to use in his other films. And as a debut film it's extremely impressive. But I prefer Lynch when there's a bit more of a balance between the bizarre imagery and the characters/plot. I like the surreal and the bizarre as extra flavoring, not as the entire dish.

John Dies At the End is actually an impressive feat in it's own right. It's based on a book written by someone who got their start writing for Cracked.com, and he somehow parlayed that into a feature film directed by an iconic cult horror director. So the fact that it got made in the first place was very unlikely and it's actually better than a lot of what Coscarelli had been doing in recent years. It's fun, it's also got it's fair share of the Weird, and I just think it hangs together more as an entertaining film than Eraserhead does.

So I feel a bit guilty doing this, but I'm going to vote against Lynch. But I've voted this way several times before, when an "important" film goes up against something that I just simply had more fun with. Fun is a big deal for me when it comes to horror and I often use it as a tie-breaker, and that's basically what I did here.

Et tu, Basebf555?

I had enough fun with John Dies At The End. It's impressive how much it puts into the story, and free it is when adapting the source material--mixing live-action with animation, using both voice-over narration and flash-backs and other narrative devices to keep things going. The cast is good. I really liked Clancy Brown. I don't think it's very funny, though. It's quirkiness and inventiveness are fun, but I didn't laugh once.

I haven't rewatched Eraserhead yet, but that's a 5 star movie in my book, so it's gonna win my vote.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
3 From Hell
The Devil’s Rejects is pretty much my number one horror movie that I know I should watch but I really don’t want to see. I’ve liked all RZ movies I’ve seen (that includes H1KC) and the movie is universally acclaimed, so it’s a huge hole in my horror knowledge. Still, I never wanted to see it, because deep down I’m a wuss. I really don’t like movies with a certain streak of mean that the Firefly movies have. Just complete indulgence in evil, killing of random, innocent people, it ticks me off.
Plus, if there’s one thing that makes me uneasy in horror it’s people getting murdered (yes laugh at this) in semi-realistic settings. No Country For Old Men or Sicario are terrifying, I get physically upset. If it’s in a good movie, great, but I don’t want it in my casual horror viewing. To my own surprise I LOVED H1KC, it just exudes a deranged energy and love for the genre, and the setting is weird enough that it made me able to bear what was going on. I know Devil’s Rejects is more down to earth, so I’ve avoided it. Now, after watching 3 From Hell, yea I’ll go watch it ASAP. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an appraisal of the movie. It’s truly sad to see RZ make such a bad looking movie, and it’s pretty vile overall. The violence made me physically upset as expected, but it didn’t feel earned. But there’s something to it. There’s glimpses of the Rob Zombie I love, like him letting Sid Haig absolutely steal the show, the kitty ballet, the sometimes colourful sets. And yes, the Fireflies are intriguing. I hate their glorification, the bad looks of having them go to Mexico and murder people while dressed as native americans (is this supposed to be some sort of metaphor?), they’re gross but I want to see a better version of that movie. I guess that better movie exists, and if I managed to sit through 3 From Hell what’s stopping me from watching Devil’s Rejects? So I guess in that sense I’m glad I saw the movie, if only to finally resolve my weird hangup about a different film.

The Incredible Shrinking Man
Most of my thoughts have already been spelled out by other posters so I won’t repeat them. One thing that struck me though: The movie is too short to quite work. I want more of everything, which could under other circumstances be good, but here it’s sort of not. I want more of every stage that the protagonist finds himself in, not only because there’s barely enough time to explore each sufficiently, but also to let the voiceover breathe. The final monologue is great, I absolutely loved it in concept, but it actually made me laugh out loud when I saw the movie. The buildup to it is insufficient, so it comes off as hokey. Don’t get me wrong, I love overwrought 50s/60s sci fi movie dialogue, but if you try to go for emotional impact and almost make it, but ultimately end up with camp, that’s a bit sad. Still, a minor gripe overall, I love big kitty so I will vote for it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

married but discreet posted:

3 From Hell
The Devil’s Rejects is pretty much my number one horror movie that I know I should watch but I really don’t want to see. I’ve liked all RZ movies I’ve seen (that includes H1KC) and the movie is universally acclaimed, so it’s a huge hole in my horror knowledge. Still, I never wanted to see it, because deep down I’m a wuss. I really don’t like movies with a certain streak of mean that the Firefly movies have. Just complete indulgence in evil, killing of random, innocent people, it ticks me off.
Plus, if there’s one thing that makes me uneasy in horror it’s people getting murdered (yes laugh at this) in semi-realistic settings. No Country For Old Men or Sicario are terrifying, I get physically upset. If it’s in a good movie, great, but I don’t want it in my casual horror viewing. To my own surprise I LOVED H1KC, it just exudes a deranged energy and love for the genre, and the setting is weird enough that it made me able to bear what was going on. I know Devil’s Rejects is more down to earth, so I’ve avoided it. Now, after watching 3 From Hell, yea I’ll go watch it ASAP. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an appraisal of the movie. It’s truly sad to see RZ make such a bad looking movie, and it’s pretty vile overall. The violence made me physically upset as expected, but it didn’t feel earned. But there’s something to it. There’s glimpses of the Rob Zombie I love, like him letting Sid Haig absolutely steal the show, the kitty ballet, the sometimes colourful sets. And yes, the Fireflies are intriguing. I hate their glorification, the bad looks of having them go to Mexico and murder people while dressed as native americans (is this supposed to be some sort of metaphor?), they’re gross but I want to see a better version of that movie. I guess that better movie exists, and if I managed to sit through 3 From Hell what’s stopping me from watching Devil’s Rejects? So I guess in that sense I’m glad I saw the movie, if only to finally resolve my weird hangup about a different film.

I will say that while The Devil's Rejects is indeed a bit better than 3 From Hell, it is also way more unpleasant.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Definitely agreed that The Devil's Rejects is much more harrowing and intense, and tougher to watch. It's not nearly as cartoonish and as a result the violence is more affecting and there's a lot more tension.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its that time of week. Just 34+ hours before I lock things up (theoretically). Vote until 3 AM EST Feb 26th (or when I wake up) That's still enough time to schedule a movie night if you've been putting one off.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I will be voting for 3 From Hell and Eraserhead, and rather than argue for why I think you should vote for those films, let me briefly dive into why you shouldn't vote for either of the other two.

First, and most straightforward perhaps, you shouldn't vote for The Incredible Shrinking Man due to animal cruelty. This is a point I've been banging on about for a few threads now, so I'm not sure I need to labour the point, but at no time should you engineer a scenario in which you cook 24 animals alive under hot studio lights. Not for the film industry, not in your back garden for your own entertainment, not ever. It also makes absolutely zero difference to me if they were spiders. Please don't do it, and don't tacitly condone it by voting for it.

Second, you shouldn't vote for John Dies at the End as it's a horribly misogynistic, toxic, dudebro fantasy. Of the cast members who are women, the only notable role is that of Amy, whose entire character arc can be condensed into she doesn't have a hand, she opens a door, and then she's discarded. In fact, the vast, vast majority of women cast members are simply there as objects, to bare their breasts in a silent mournful tableau to the lead characters' mediocrity. It's a moment that completely ruined the film for me and made me reassess previous jokes that I thought were cute and fun at the time, like the penis door handle, which now just seems like such shallow gay-panic bullshit. All of this is without going into their bizarre finale of the film, which basically boils down into an overelaborate excuse to use a wholly unwarranted hard R, and then a tiresome credit sequence that does nothing but aggrandizes venal self-serving self-interested assholes. gently caress this whole movie.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 25, 2021

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Lurd will be streaming on Saturday, so I'll be moving the Bracketology streams to Friday and Monday. If this is inconvenient, please feel free to contact me if you'd like anything re-streamed during the week!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm hosting a special one-night only Black History Month themed horror movie stream. Starting at 6 PM EST on Saturday...

Tales from the Hood

Get Out

Candyman

And some assorted entertainment. Be there!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

John Dies At the End is actually an impressive feat in it's own right. It's based on a book written by someone who got their start writing for Cracked.com, and he somehow parlayed that into a feature film directed by an iconic cult horror director.

The story was written well before Cracked.com was even founded. It was a web serial around 2002? or so. That serial nature partly explains why the plot is what it is - Wong was definitely feeling free to just take the story in crazy turns from one bit to the next. It always seemed an open question as to whether he knew where it was headed -- the fact that the title isn't true made it seem like it was probably a meta-commentary about characters getting away from the author, although it's entirely possible it was never planned.

That isn't much to do with the screenplay or the movie, though, which is doing an okay job of adaptation but not a great one. I do agree that it's impressive that it managed to get made at all. I never particularly loved the serial, but I found it entertaining, and I can say the same for the movie, even though I think it's even less good. Really for the film there were only parts that I liked, but those parts were fun to watch. I honestly think Coscarelli probably made the story worse than it could have been, but also made the horror production values a lot higher than they could have been, so that's how I end up on the vote for this one.

Both the stories in this match-up are about self-absorbed men and display some awful approaches to masculinity. Eraserhead is visually impressive at times but dull to sit through as I never felt any connection to its world, and didn't need a whole movie to convey the anxiety that Henry's feeling. Certainly you can use this to see Lynch's development, and maybe understand how he gets from this to his later films, but I'm judging on its own merits, and I find them to be meager.

(Speaking of getting dates right, I had mentioned in the Discord that I though JDATE pre-dated JDate the dating service, but apparently that goes back all the way to 1997.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tired. Internet problems. WandaVision. Lost track of time.

We have our first upset! Rob Zombie made history last year as the only 1/2 seed to fall in the first round and now becomes the first top seed to fall in this tournament. Rough, but Jack Arnold’s Shrinking Man was a big film. See what I did? Meanwhile I doubt anyone’s terribly shocked Team David advance but its maybe a bit of a surprise it wasn’t closer to a shutout. I suppose Lynch’s Eraserhead might be less accessible than vocal support would suggest, but it was still strong enough to push the team into the second round comfortably. That sets he and Cronenberg into a second round matchup with Team Universals Arnold and James Whale in a pretty big clash of titans this early.

Ok, new week.

3. Tobe Hooper’s Lifeforce vs. 14. Terence Fisher’s Brides of Dracula

This is actually the first matchup we’ve had that’s just director vs director with no teams in play. Huh. Fisher dropped first round last year to Brian Yuzna. He drew an atypical film of his in Hounds of Bakersville but he was probably drawing dead against Bride of Re-Animator anyway. This year he grabs a Cushing Dracula film at least but he doesn’t have much better luck in draws. Hooper made it to the second round last year with arguably his least trademark films in Salem’s Lot and Poltergeist. That would seem to bode well for is stock this year and he starts off with his off the wall crowd pleaser Lifeforce. This film is loving insane. Seems like another tough matchup for Fisher but his gothic Hammer flair is a crowd pleaser and upsets are now in play. So don’t count him out. And prepare for a very horny double feature.

Sequel Info: Brides is the second of Hammer’s Dracula films. There is continuity here but I don’t think its required. Brides is a largely stand alone piece you’ll basically get the same from with or without the first one IMO.

Dracula is on WatchTCM in the US.

Lifeforce is on Amazon Prime and free on Pluto in the US.
Brides of Dracula

6. (Irony or Death’s The Nephilim) Brandon Cronenberg’s Possessor vs. 11. (Debbie Does Dagon’s Team Deb Tricks You Into Watching Porn) Bruce LaBruce’s Otto; or, Up With Dead People

All rookies this time around which doesn’t leave me with any Bracketology mumbo jumbo to pad this out. Brandon Cronenberg has a huge shadow to work under in film and Bracketology but Possessor’s had a ton o buzz and seems like a real good chance to send him and his team into the second round to join his father. But Deb’s an influencer and trend setter around her so can hr wild card entry shock everyone and send the son packing? Sorry, I don’t have a lot tonight. But I’m gonna take a wild guess and say Deb’s porn team will extend the horny theme this week. And hear Cronenberg’s director cut has a lot of penis.

Possessor is on Hulu in the US.
Otto; or, Up with Dead People

Vote until 3 AM EST Mar 5th (or when I wake up)

Bracket & Noms Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Next Week!
3. Joe Dante vs. 14. Jack Hill
6. Park Chan Wook vs. 11. STAC Goat’s Rustic Films (Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson, Jeremy Gardner & Christian Stella, and Amy Seimetz)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Aw yes, finally a bracketology that doesn't interfere with my regularly scheduled movies. Been sitting on Possessor forever.

Also, what's up with announcing next week early? Takes a bit of the fun out of it.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tonight I will be streaming Possessor vs Otto at 7pm EST, full post to come later. Otto is probably the weakest film on my team, so I don't have a lot of hope, but I can beat Possessor's penis count, so that's something.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just have to come to terms with the fact that some people aren't gonna have the same unconditional love for Hammer that I do. It's painful to watch an icon like Fisher go out so early again.

Very few films that we've watched for these tournaments would have a chance against Lifeforce. It's only flaw is pacing, it has a lull in the middle. So to beat it you'd need a really tight, masterpiece level film and Brides of Dracula ain't that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I just have to come to terms with the fact that some people aren't gonna have the same unconditional love for Hammer that I do. It's painful to watch an icon like Fisher go out so early again.

Very few films that we've watched for these tournaments would have a chance against Lifeforce. It's only flaw is pacing, it has a lull in the middle. So to beat it you'd need a really tight, masterpiece level film and Brides of Dracula ain't that.

Counterargument: Brides of Dracula is, in fact, that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Counterargument: Brides of Dracula is, in fact, that.

I hope everyone else agrees with you tbh. I'd rather see Fisher advance and have a chance to show off some of his other films than Hooper.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I may be off-consensus but I think Brides of Dracula is a fantastic Hammer movie. Tons of spooky atmosphere, excellently creepy villain performance by Martita Hunt, the god Peter Cushing getting some of his most badass moments, and an all-timer of a climax.

Yvonne Monlaur as the female lead is... really bad, I'll grant that. And David Peel is no Christopher Lee. But I fuckin love that movie. More than Lifeforce, which I also love. Good matchup.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Aw yes, finally a bracketology that doesn't interfere with my regularly scheduled movies. Been sitting on Possessor forever.

Also, what's up with announcing next week early? Takes a bit of the fun out of it.

The order of teams and who faces who is already known, its just which films they draw that's a surprise

e: Brides of Dracula is set to be my first ever Hammer horror. There are so many of them that I've always been too intimidated to try.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 26, 2021

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:spooky: Week 9 Bracketology Streams! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

Friday, February 26th

1900 Otto; or, Up with Dead People
2045 Possessor

Monday, February 28th

1900 The Brides of Dracula
2035 Lifeforce

Content Warnings

Otto; Or, Up With Dead People
Contains strong real sex and strong violence

Possessor
Rated R for strong bloody disturbing violence, strong sexual content, some graphic nudity, language and brief drug use

The Brides Of Dracula
Contains moderate horror and violence

Lifeforce
strong horror, gore, nudity

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The matchups have been posted all along on the bracket and I've been teasing next week's in the first post of the thread all along. I just thought it would be fun to move that tease into the new post each week. The movie draws still stay hidden until Friday. But if people would prefer to just stay entirely clueless unless they seek it out I can not do that again. I just thought it might be fun.

I'm always tinkering.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I think the key takeaway from this round and last tournament is that we've vastly overrated Rob Zombie's stature within horror.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'd never noticed the previews, but I also don't really mind now that I think about it.

RZ has been really unlucky with his draws, both of his own movies and who he is up against.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

I think the key takeaway from this round and last tournament is that we've vastly overrated Rob Zombie's stature within horror.

He is and always will be divisive and that's a killer in a tournament like this with 15-20 people voting. There's always going to be a significant percentage of people who just don't dig him, whereas most of the other directors have at least one or two obvious winners that they can beat people with if they're lucky enough to draw them. With Zombie, I don't care if he drew The Devil's Rejects, he was probably going to lose because his style rubs some people the wrong way. Always has.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Zombie's had a bit of bad luck. He drew Halloween 2 last year and it was well received, he was just up against something big. He hasn't had an easy draw and he drew one of his polarizing films last week.

I think he was "overseeded" last year. I think a 6 seed feels about right to me. But luck of the draw still matters. 3 from Hell probably would have beat a lot of films in this round, and Halloween 3 definitely would have.

Like I'm feeling the same about Fisher. I like him. I like Hammer. I like Brides of Dracula. But he's got some poo poo draws.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

The matchups have been posted all along on the bracket and I've been teasing next week's in the first post of the thread all along. I just thought it would be fun to move that tease into the new post each week. The movie draws still stay hidden until Friday. But if people would prefer to just stay entirely clueless unless they seek it out I can not do that again. I just thought it might be fun.

I'm always tinkering.

I enjoy the previews. Nice to have something to speculate about.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It's funny to me that we saddled Lynch and Cronenberg together on a team. They always get compared cause they share a first name and are known for making Weird horror movies, but they're so fundamentally different from one another. Lynch is all about human connection, warmth, spirituality, good vs. evil and it's always underlined with a quirky sense of humor. His films may be nightmares that explore fear and absolute, primal evil but they're counterbalanced with an absolute good and a belief in humanity.

Cronenberg meanwhile is far more detached and cold. He's focused on the biological but also decay and rot and perversion. His films are about the failure of the body, the violence of sex, and the fear of technology. He and Lynch both like to look at blurred states of reality, but they go about it in wildly different ways. Lynch emphasizing dreams and transcendentalism while Cronenberg looking at it as a form of insanity, induced by technology.

Yeah, I dunno. They're just totally different filmmakers, it's funny how we always want to saddle them together.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also, Cronenberg is way better

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Proposition: If a team wins the tournament we will have a final showdown to see who the best director in it is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its something I hadn't actually considered and it definitely has possibilities if we get there. W've got months to thing about it but its interesting.

I partially believe I subconsciously grouped the Davids together to minimize my exposure. But I was pulling for Cronenberg & Son to come together this year.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched Brides of Dracula and thought it was good! I didn't love it, but I don't love Lifeforce either (I think it is also pretty good). I'm leaning towards Lifeforce, but I will wait and vote late like I did last week to read the arguments from others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looking forward to some space vampires and stuffy aristocrat vampires later tonight!