Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Screw it. I'm pulling the trigger on some teams. There's SO many good movies/directors left.

Team XX
Karyn Kusama, Jovanka Vuckovic, Roxanne Benjamin, & St. Vincent
XX

Roxanne Benjamin
Body at Brighton Rock

Karyn Kusama
Jennifer’s Body
The Invitation

Jovanka Vuckovic
Riot Girls

Coralie Fargeat
Revenge

Block Party
Joe Cornish
Attack the Block

Oz Rodriguez
Vampires vs the Bronx

Ernest R. Dickerson
Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight
Bones
The V Word

Austin Vesely
Sliceand I'm gonna take advantage o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If no one's gonna use them I will.

The Ghostbeaters

Sam Raimi
Evil Dead
The Gift

Fede Alvarez
Evil Dead (2013)
Don’t Breathe

Dan O'Bannon
Return of the Living Dead
The Resurrected

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Polanski/Landis is a living experiment of "separate the art from the artist." I don't even know how I'd vote with them. Like Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorite films of all time, even though I haven't been compelling to rewatch it in years. I don't know how I'd feel about it on a rewatch and I don't know if I'd vote against it if it wasn't going against something really great. Its a weird question, but one I'm not uncomfortable with us testing.

The problem is getting them past the nomination seeding on director name value. And if you team them with someone make sure it isn't someone you want to go down with the ship. So Team rear end in a top hat might be the best solution.

Although part of me wants to team Polanski with the Jeepers Creepers guy as Team Pedophile to not brush past that. But also I don't want to nominate "Team Pedophile."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Not worth it" is my personal opinion on all of them. But also like... do what you feel.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's the thing. I feel like if we put them on the list they'd just end up losing the seeding vote and the best they'd get is a play in where they'd have to out class whoever they faced... which might end up being a 3 or 4 way. So like... I dunno, seems like a waste of time and ethical awkwardness.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Team “Dad Was Always Quiet”
Christoper Landon
Happy Death Day
Happy Death Day 2U
Scouts Guide to the Apocalypse
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
Freaky

Oz Perkins
The Blackcoat’s Daughter
Gretel & Hansel
I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in the House

Team “Mortgages are Hell” aka “Completely Taking Advantage of the Sequel Defaults To Original Loophole”
Stephen Cognetti
Hell House, LLC
Hell House, LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel
Hell House LLC III: The Lake of Fire

Oren Peli
Paranormal Activity
Area 51

Tod Williams
Paranormal Activity 2
Cell

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deadline for Nominations is Monday, Dec 14th 12 noon EST

We have a whopping 98 nominees and they'll all go into the vote to determine seeds and maybe all get a chance to play in based on what we decide. But we abandoned self control a long time ago and there's still tons of names and films out there. You can find some of them on the spreadsheet's second page but there's more out there for sure. Remember, rules are simple. You can add directors together until you get to 6+ films. You can have as many films as 10 (if its 2 with 5). Just don't cherry pick their lists to make it work. Good and bad films, on and off theme. We're watching it all.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit#gid=0

For now I'm proposing but not nominating these three teams. They loosely work and I think all 6 guys should have a go, but if someone else has other ideas go for it.

Team #1: Something, Something Silent Film Founding Fathers
Tod Browning
Freaks
The Devil Doll
The Unknown
Mark of the Vampire

Alfred Hitchcock
Psycho
Shadow of a Doubt
Frenzy
Rear Window
Rope

Team #2: Something, Something Universal?
James Whale
The Old Dark House
Bride of Frankenstein

Jack Arnold
Creature From the Black Lagoon
The Incredible Shrinking Man
It Came From Outer Space
Tarantula
Monster on the Campus

Team #3: Something, Something Cat People?
Robert Wise
The Haunting
Curse of the Cat People
The Body Snatcher
Audrey Rose
A Game of Death

Jacques Tourneur
Cat People
Curse of the Demon
The Leopard Man
The Comedy of Terrors

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's my bad. You had expressed ambiguity as to whether you'd use Haneke or Veronika Franz & Severin Fiala so I left it blank and meant to ask you. It just fell through the cracks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know what my favorite part of stuff like this is? TRADES!

Team Skellington - While Burton has nothing to do with Coraline and Monkeybone Nightmare Before Christmas is basically his opus despite the fact that he didn’t direct it. So Deb was kind of enough to do some horse trading and let me pair the two of them up for a collection of weird and dark, and yet family safe films.

Tim Burton
Beetlejuice
Mars Attacks!
Corpse Bride
Dark Shadows
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Henry Selick
Nightmare Before Christmas
Coraline
Monkey Bones

That adapts Deb’s Family Friendly team from Selick and Hayao Miyazaki to Miyazaki, Don Bluth, and Jim freaking Henson Which I gotta say, I kinda love.

Hayao Miyazaki
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

Jim Henson
Dark Crystal
Labyrinth

Don Bluth
The Secret of NIMH

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And some guys I don't want left out.

The Silent Founders - Two legends. Legends who started in silent film and moved to sound. Two guys who I can not leave out of this.

Tod Browning
Freaks
The Devil Doll
The Unknown
Mark of the Vampire

Alfred Hitchcock
Psycho
Shadow of a Doubt
Frenzy
Rear Window
Rope

Team Universal - Another two legendary directors of the early days who I can’t leave out. Sure, there’s like 20 years separating them and they’re not all that similar, but hey, they both made s plash with Universal and this list includes 2 of the greatest films of the dynasty.

James Whale
The Old Dark House
Bride of Frankenstein

Jack Arnold
Creature From the Black Lagoon
The Incredible Shrinking Man
It Came From Outer Space
Tarantula
Monster on the Campus

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My entire childhood feels attacked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nominations lock at noon EST Monday, tomorrow!
Last Chance to get in teams or old directors! There’s still a lot of names in play. I added another 5 directors with 6+ last night. Adam Green, Joe D’Amato. Hideo Nakata. Takashi Shimizu, and Sergio Martino. We’re up to 107 nominees now, but why stop? You can see who’s in, and a few who aren’t yet here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit?usp=sharing

Meanwhile here’s a few more teams I was waiting to see if anyone found places for but want in the pool.

Team… I don’t know… Cat People? - I don’t know, i just really can’t leave them out. The Haunting, Curse of the Demon, Cat People. Our pool feels heavily more biased to the modern so I want to balance it a bit and get these two in.

Robert Wise
The Haunting
Curse of the Cat People
The Body Snatcher
Audrey Rose
A Game of Death

Jacques Tourneur
Cat People
Curse of the Demon
The Leopard Man
The Comedy of Terrors

Raiders of the Tomb - Ok, these aren’t legends by any means but As Above So Below is one of my favorite films and The Mummy Films are great and Basebf wanted Sommers in and loves Van Helloing but Spielberg had too many films and forced him off the team. So lets team up our horror finding explorers like their names were Indy and Lara.

Stephen Sommers
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Van Helsing
Deep Rising

John Erick Dowdle
As Above So Below
Devil
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Quarantine

Team “Ladies Night” - Just some notable and interesting films from women directors, which I think are worth adding to the pool.

Ana Lily Amirpour
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Anna Biller
The Love Witch

Issa Lopez
Tigers Are Not Afraid

Juliana Rojas
Good Manners
Hard Labor

Rose Glass
Saint Maud

Team “More 👏 Women 👏 Directors” - They may not be the best, but hey they’re an under-represented pool.

The Soska Sisters
American Mary
Rabid
See No Evil 2
Dead Hooker in a Trunk

Sophia Takal
Black Christmas (2019)
Always Shine
New Year, New You

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Can't stop, won't stop.

Just Two Weirdos Writing About Quirky Ladies Clumsily

Lucky McKee
May
All Cheerleaders Die
The Woman
The Woods
Kindred Spirits

Tyler MacIntyre
Tragedy Girls
Patchwork
Good Boy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, nominations are now locked. Sure, a bunch of people didn’t get listed but we do have a whopping 113 nominations! So the next step is whittling that down. I’ve got a Jungle Primary ready to go where you’ll have a chance to vote for as many as 40 of the 113. Why 40 instead of last year’s 25? Because that will give a wider field of votes and possibly set up an easy Play In set of nominees who got votes but not enough to get in. The plan right now is 60 seats will be filled and the final 4 will go to Play Ins. But that could change and we’ll talk about it once we have the numbers.

But first our Automatic Bids. 8 nominees will get the #1 and 2 seeds in the tournament and get to skip the voting process. Each Council member will be able to choose one nominee. The council members were chosen by the top 8 posters in the last thread

Debbie Does Dagon: Takashi Miike
TrixRabbi: Shinya Tsukamoto
Basebf555: Mario Bava
Franchescanado: Dario Argento
married but discreet: Wes Craven
Shrecknet: Team “Dad Was Always Quiet” (Christoper Landon & Oz Perkins)
Burkion
MacheteZombie: John Carpenter

So make your picks and when we have our 8 I’ll put up the vote and we’ll keep that open until after Christmas.

Here's the nominees.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit#gid=0

And yes, you can pick a team. I was gonna set a rule that says you can’t pick your own nominee but then if you were smart you’d just cut a deal with someone else so… whatever. You do you.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 15, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

I am very glad Jack Hill got added.

Total luck because I happened to watch Spider Baby last night.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

married but discreet posted:

There's at least one duplicate entry (Sergio Martino).
Hopefully that's an anomaly. He was part of a bunch I added late the other night so that's on me. No harm done though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I have a whole vote form ready to go just like last year. Just waiting to see which 8 nominees to take off the list.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Argento probably would have made the pool even without the seed, but yeah its gonna be a tough road for him. We saw last time around that having a high seed doesn't really guarantee you much especially with these directors with large pools. And that's probably gonna be more random and tougher now that I'm counting all their films. If they're going up against a hand curated team they might be at the same basic disadvantage they had last time against the niche but selective directors.

What I'm saying is Wes is totally gonna draw My Soul To Take 1st round and be eliminated again.

Ok, I've PMed Burkion and Shreck since they're the last two and they haven't posted in this thread. I know Burk's around and aware. Shreck I'm not sure. If they don't respond to me by tonight I'll consider giving their spots to someone more active in here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

God bless you for hilariously justifying the days I spent building hypothetical teams.

And glad to have you on board.

Just need Burkion now and I'll finalize and post the poll.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Curveball!

That's 8. Here's your top seeds.

Debbie Does Dagon: Takashi Miike
TrixRabbi: Shinya Tsukamoto
Basebf555: Mario Bava
Franchescanado: Dario Argento
married but discreet: Wes Craven
Shrecknet: Team “Dad Was Always Quiet” (Christoper Landon & Oz Perkins)
Burkion: Agents Provocateur (Brian DePalma & Paul Verhoeven)
MacheteZombie: John Carpenter

That leaves 104 nominees we have to work down to 58. Jungle primary. You get up to 40 votes. When its all said and done we'll add them up, see who's in and where they seed, and figure out what we're doing with Play Ins. My thinking is that with 40 votes each it maybe gives us justification to ignore anyone who has 0 votes, especially since a lot of them were people I added automatically without being officially nominated. We'll see how that plays out but that means even if you think your favorite is a long shot it will be worth throwing them a vote. Even 1 vote might make the difference in giving them a chance.

I'll leave the poll open until Dec 26th so we can just go through Christmas and then figure out our final format the last week of December. I've left the poll open to edits so you can go back and change your picks over the next 10 days if you change your minds or someone wins you over. So vote, feel free to share it, the more the merrier. And here's a link to the Nominations spreadsheet so you can check movie lists for directors/teams you're unsure of.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit?usp=sharing

And sorry that I'm even wordy in poll questions.

Vote: https://forms.gle/khghFmLAf2FzCaYt8

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was thinking "40 is too many" and then I just went through and picked everyone I liked just by name and figured I'd go back and check movies. Turns out I clicked 38 just by name.

edit: gently caress, that WAS hard. I had to make cuts.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 15, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

28 of my 40 were teams.

Also without giving anything away, 8 people have voted. No nominee has received 8 votes. 3 nominees have received 7 votes and only 2 of them are teams.

Also of the 10 nominees to get 0 votes 0 of them are teams.

So far I think the team experiment is a success.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TrixRabbi posted:

Oddly enough I've been thinking of rewatching Salo for awhile. Something something the rising tide of fascism.

Also I got a Pitch. STAC Goat -- What if, assuming there are any a the end of voting, one or two of the directors that received exactly Zero votes gets a slot in the play-ins? For a total wildcard we choose at random one of the directors nobody wanted. Alternatively, the director with the least amount of votes. The "Hey, Why Don't We Give 'em A Chance" competitor.

I don't hate it. Something to keep in mind after Christmas.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

20 have voted.

Its been interesting. There's been some surprising results, both in the poll questions and in who is racking up the votes and who is trailing behind. Most interesting to me is that there's only 1 nominee with 16 votes and no one with more. The total votes are also spread across 100 of the 104 possible candidates. So tough luck for those 4, but its a real wide spread of votes. So much for that idea where I could just eliminate anyone who has 0 votes from the Play Ins and make that easy.

There's a weird outlier of 4 votes marked "Other." I can't figure out what that's about. There is no "Other" option from what I and another could tell. I went through the ballots and there was no "Other" marked. I checked the nominees with odd characters like emojis but their votes seem to match. If it's an issue when this is over I can audit all the ballots and hand count or something. But it also strikes me that maybe 4 people with 0 votes and 4 Other votes isn't a coincidence. I'm not sure how that explains where there were 3 yesterday... but I guess if it doesn't go up to 5 that might be the answer. I dunno. We'll see.

I still intend to keep it open until Christmas. I doubt we're in any rush to start this through the holidays. I'll pimp it around a little and feel free to do the same. The more the merrier.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I gotta admit, I've been running some math on Play Ins and Schedules and The Void/Crab Bucket would solve some problems. I have a working theory but its not worth putting out there until we have the final vote tallies. The numbers can still change.

How about a little fun? I set up the bracket and grouped the 1/2 seeds as everyone expected. Carpenter/Craven, Argento/Bava, Miike/Tsukamoto, and Agents Provocateur/Team "Lankins". I dubbed the Carpenter/Craven branch the "American Slasher Division" and split it between Hadonfield and Woodsboro. I dubbed the Argento/Bava branch the "Giallo Division" and split between Freiburg and Moldovia. Haven't figured the other two out yet. I'm open to change. Thoughts? Ideas? Just trying to have some fun while we wait.

I also worked out the theoretical schedules for the 3 format options in the poll. I went with the idea of 2 weeks of Play Ins but that obviously could change depending on what we decide. The gist is that 8 films in 7 days would finish up just around May, 4 in 7 days would go through August, and 8 in 10 days would go into June. I just thought that might be useful to see if anyone is unsure about their vote.

I dunno. I have a hard time sitting still.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit#gid=590551869

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 18, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Divisions named (until someone comes up with something better).

Tokyo Conference: #1 Takashi Miike in the Champions Division, #2 Shinya Tsukamoto in the Rookies Division.
Doubles Conference: #1 Agents Provocateur (Brian DePalma & Paul Verhoeven) in the Disco & Dystopia Division, #2 Team Lankins (Christopher Landon and Oz Perkins) in the Prairie & Psychos Division.
Italian Conference: #1 Dario Argentio in Giallo Division, #2 Mario Bava in Gothic Division.
American Slasher Conference: #1 John Carpenter in Haddonfield Division, #2 Wes Craven in Hillsboro Division.

If you got something better lay it on me.

They're just names, although maybe we'll use them to settle tiebreakers when it comes to seeding. But I'm not gonna automatically put every Italian film in one division. That would be unfair/less fun IMO.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Sounds like we'll need to work on a Special Effects Maestro bracket at some point.

If we had thought of it when we started I would have suggested a looser creative category than "Director". Just "Artists" or something. Directors, writers, producers, special effects, actors. Probably could have made for more fun team building and creativity. I just went with the Director thing since it felt like the easiest way to structure this without turning it into "build your own super team" or limiting the wide diversity of films. That probably would have worked just as well.

There's always next year.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 18, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was two things.

1) I couldn't remember the town in Elm Street off the top of my head.
2) Letterboxd listened Scream as his most popular. Which I found odd and made me question the people of Letterboxd.

Division now Springwood.

EDIT: Also I just remember Miike lost the last one so "Champions" Division changed to "Veterans." I still don't really like that but can't think of better. I'm unfamiliar with the directors.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 19, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, fair. Champions again.

I'm a pushover.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've had a rough couple of days. I'm hopeful things are getting better but just in case I gave Deb editing access to the spreadsheet. She'll probably be streaming for us and involved in this anyway but if something does happen I trust her to figure out the next step. But knock on wood, I'll be here at Christmas to get the ball rolling.

4 more days to vote. Pimp it out to your friends and family. 2020 was a tough one but one good thing it brought us was this fun movie club. So I for one am jacked to kick 2021 off with a new exciting round. But first we gotta vote.

https://forms.gle/a3QguP4rHQLRvS4A9

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thank you for your kind words. Things are looking better. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, all of that. Today I feel more like myself and my life feels more stable and back to normal and like I'll be able to do this. Hopefully it stays that way.

And Merry Christmas! You might have run out of time for your Christmas shopping but you have one day left to make your votes for the 2021 Spook-A-Doodle Horror Bracketology. We'll be starting Jan 1st (life changing events allowing) but votes lock up Dec 26th. So if you haven't gotten them in yet now's your chance, and if you've had second thoughts on something now's your last chance to change it up.

https://forms.gle/a3QguP4rHQLRvS4A9

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Voting is now closed. I'll work on results as I wake up.

I'll tell you my first looks. There are 51 nominees with 8+ votes. That fills 59 of 64 spots. There are 15 nominees with 8 votes. So if my brain is working right that means 5 3-ways play ins for those last 5 slots. But I'll figure that all out when I wake up.

I'll also reveal the #1 vote getter with 21 votes on 77.8% of ballots... George Romero! That top spot traded with a bunch of people the whole time but Romero made a late charge.

Ok, I'm gonna find coffee and food and then you'll hear more later.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a long shot but he still has Night, Creepshow, and the Crazies so I don't think he's drawing dead. He's also got a relatively small catalogue compared to some of his fellow "Masters of Horror" so that might help his odds of drawing a good film vs a bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was one of the 17 and not one of the 11. Because like... its right there in the name. It was a trick!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, lets break things down a little

Rules

The “redrawing a hard to find film” rule change proved uncontroversial. Only 3 people out of 27 didn’t like it. Sorry guys. The “run the original if the sequel is drawn” rule proved much more divisive. While I could claim a victory for it on the numbers it seems clear the group is pretty evenly divided on it. So I’ll tread softly with it and be very open. If people think its being applied unfairly to help or hurt a nominee I’ll relent. My only intention was to eliminate a situation where some crazy person like me might feel compelled to watch a bunch of movies to be caught up. But we’ll see how it goes. Right now with the way the Format rules went I’m leaning towards not using it all since we’ll have more time to watch stuff.

Format

These results surprised me a bit. The field was near universal in wanting us to be “slow and methodical” with things with just 4 people preferring “fast and ruthless.” And much to my surprise the plurality of votes went for “4 movies in 7 days”. With 48% of the field preferring that and another 26% voting for 8 in 10 days its clear the majority wants less films over more time. So I guess we’re doing 4 films a week. By my math that should take us into late August which might actually be kind of perfect since it means we’ll finish up with a month to chill before October. It makes this a whole year project but hey, why not? It certainly relieves the pressure of trying to fit in 8 films in 7 days.

Everyone also prefers a middle ground on the Play Ins. I probably worded that question terribly. I apologize for that. But the message seems relatively clear. We’re willing to take some time but we don’t want to drag it out too much. And I think the math actually works out perfectly for that. I kept trying to game out what the Play Ins would look like and how I’d seed and it kept changing dramatically. A couple of days ago I thought we were gonna have to run 7 1vs1, 1 3way, and have 4 wildcard slots. It was crazy. The final results were actually the cleanest I’ve seen. What we ended up with was 51 nominees with 9 or more votes and 15 with 8 votes. That math sets up for a clean 5 Play In spots for the 60th-64th spots in 3 ways. I think the best way to do that would be 2 a week so we don’t string it out so 6 films in 2 matchups Jan 1st, 6 in 2 Jan 8th, and then the last 3 in 1 Jan 15th. Then we’ll start our true tourney with 4 films a week in Jan 22nd. Does that sound good?

Seeds
There were 27 voters. The last ballot was submitted at 11:54 PM, 6 minutes before the official deadline (although 8 hours before I actually woke up and locked it). No one made all of the ballots with Romero coming closest at 21. There were big jumps this whole time Fulci, Hooper, Dante, Team David, and for a time Queer As In gently caress You as the top vote getter. A lot of diversity of ballots meant a lot of changes.

I’m working on the full brackets. If you want to sneak ahead you can find the full vote counts and seeds on the Spreadsheet. When it came to seeds I simply used a random number generator to break ties.

Also, there’s 5 votes marked “Other” and I don’t know what the gently caress that is. For awhile I was thinking it was nominees with 0 votes since it was holding at 4 and there were 4 with 0. But last night it moved to 5 with still just 4 0s. So I dunno. Maybe there’s a 5th person with 1 vote? Maybe the Google algorithm just recognizes that as statistically insignificant and groups it all together? If people think its really an issue I’ll do a full audit but I rather not because that sucks. And all the weird character entries that might have been hurt by it are in. So I dunno. If you mind tell me.

Not bad considering I still haven’t had my breakfast or coffee. But also I gotta go exchange some presents. So I’ll be back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think he may have been my 41st. Sad, sad lack of a pity vote.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We have a bracket!

Everything was done completely without bias. I started playing around with matchups but was convinced to entire randomize it. There’s some I love and some I don’t but its all on the up and up. I simply drew random numbers and lined them up.

Tokyo Conference / Doubles Conference

Italian Conference / American Slasher Conference

We’ve got 5 three-way Play In matchups to fill the last 5 slots of the tournament (of everyone who got 8 votes). Since we said we wanted to do 4 films a week and 2-4 weeks of Play Ins tops I think the best approach is the 1 15 seed matchup of 3 films Week 1 and then 2 3-ways for 6 films a week in Weeks 2 and 3. So this would be our schedule theoretically.

January 1st - 7th:
Italy #15 Seed: Mary Lambert vs. Ruggero Deodato vs. STAC Goat's Radio Silence (Joe Swanberg, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Glenn McQuaid, Tyler Gillett, Justin Martinez, and Chad Villella)

Jan 8th - 14th
Tokyo #16 Seed: Franchescanado’s Team Vulgær (Gaspar Noe & Lars Von Trier) vs. Charles Band vs. married but discreet’s Top Giallo Schmorgasboard (Aldo Lado, Duccio Tessari, & Giulio Questi)
Doubles #16 Seed: Tarnop's Predation (Jonathan Glazer, Tomas Alfredson, David Robert Mitchell, Michael Powell, Gerald Kargl, and Alice Lowe) vs. married but discreet's Giallo B Team (Emilio Miraglia & Massimo Dallamano) vs. M. Night Shyamalan

Jan 15th - 21st
Italy #16 Seed: TrixRabbi's Andrzej Żuławski & Other Poles (Jerzy Kawalerowicz) vs. Debbie Does Dagon's Silent Scream (FW Murnau, Robert Wiene, & Teinosuke Kinugasa) vs. STAC Goat's In Russia Doodle Spook You (Egor Abramenko, Georgiy Kropachyov, Konstantin Ershov, & Svyatoslav Podgaevsky)
American Slasher #16 Seed: STAC Goat's Block Party (Joe Cornish, Oz Rodriguez, Ernest R. Dickerson, & Austin Vesely) vs. Tarnop's Lost & Found (Erik Kristopher Myers, Elliot Goldner, Phil Guidry, Simon Herbert, and David Whelan, Zachary Donohue, Joel Anderson, & Christopher MacBride) vs. Steven Spielberg

Jan 22nd - 28th
Field of 64 Begins

What do we think?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 27, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hahaha. I just worked out the schedule and we'll finish the first round on May 13th.

We voted. You wanted it slow and methodical. Democracy works.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And Lloyd Kaufman is gonna knock out Wes.

I have cursed this tournament.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem is the alternative is 9 movies in a week. The votes were pretty clear that we wanted more time than 8 movies a week so starting with a tighter crunch feels like the wrong move. Sure, they're "play ins" but the whole reason we're doing them is so we can watch more movies.

If someone has a better idea I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was surprised by the popularity of the 4 movie week when I was watching results but I had a couple of weeks to get used to it and realized I love it. Yeah, trying to squeeze 8 movies in can be a rush and fun but over the course of months its exhausting and consuming. It kind of feels great to knwo I can do this and also do other stuff.