Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I think with Landis and Polanski they're also already recognisable names, with filmographies full of well-worn classics. They don't need this thread to highlight their work. So for me they're not only lovely people, they're also taking up a spot that would be better used to explore a less well-known director/team.

I'd say if we were in the situation where we were at an odd number of teams, then yeah, include Team rear end in a top hat to balance it out. But since I really can't see us in that scenario with the sheer amount of groupings we're coming up with, we're okay leaving them out of things again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Just looking at those lists, the watch gatherings will be incredible if we do them.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Was thinking about crab monsters and how the Harryhausen film Mysterious Island has a great giant crab scene. Anyway it occurred to me that Harryhausen should've been included in this but I guess we just don't think of him as a horror director(and he wasn't even a director, his place in film history is pretty unique). But he's certainly a monster/creature guy.

Sounds like we'll need to work on a Special Effects Maestro bracket at some point.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I worried this might not be representative of Band's work but its the 5th most popular horror of his on Letterboxd so whatcha gonna do?

It's not representative at all which is why the gross laziness with slathering on the overdubbed parts bothered me a lot. Full Moon films tend to be cheesy comfort food, but sometime fairly recently it seems like they've been stumbling.

If you want better examples of Band/Full Moon films, there's Bad Channels, the early Puppet Master series, Subspecies, Trancers, and Dr. Mordred.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

So I'm voting for Bones. Which is my team. But I really did start this night thinking Bones was the worst film and that either of the other two could win me over. Now I feel like it should win. It felt like the most complete film that accomplished what it set out o do and worked on more than one level. There's plenty I like about the other two films, but I think they're both pretty clearly flawed in key ways. Maybe that doesn't overwhelm the good for you and I respect that, but for me it makes this vote easy.

My favorite story about Bones was that Snoop got all bashful about his kiss with Pam Grier since she was an early crush of his.

Sorry I missed out on the showings. I'm in that waiting forever on the results of my Covid test and my head's not in the proper place.

I do agree that Butterfly Kisses did have it's moments, but it just doesn't get a vote from me. With War of the Worlds, it was too big budget in feel for me if that makes sense. The George Pal one's more to my tastes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I wouldn't worry about it, turnout is gonna naturally fluctuate. There's been a LOT of poo poo going on in the past 10 days or so. And not just the obvious political stuff, the NFL had it's playoffs and it was multiple games each day on Saturday and Sunday. It's gonna be much easier for me to fit movies in on the weekends now that that's mostly over with.

And I got my diagnosis. I have Covid. So much for diligently quarantining and social distancing. Anyway, so far I pretty much can fall asleep at the drop of a hat so I'll try to participate as much as I can.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I've never once understood why anyone would want to be any Ghostbuster besides Winston.

When I was little, I did lean towards Ray. But as I've grown older, I've come to appreciate the wisdom of Winston. If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe whatever you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Giant racist cockroaches

Best I'm able to find so far is the depiction of the giant roaches is what's considered racist.