Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Sorry ya'll, was basically incommunicado the last few days, but I am here. And I am here to tell you Landon/Perkins is gonna take it all. Team Lankins getting that 1/2 seed:

STAC Goat posted:

Team “Dad Was Always Quiet”
Christoper Landon
Happy Death Day
Happy Death Day 2U
Scouts Guide to the Apocalypse
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
Freaky

Oz Perkins
The Blackcoat’s Daughter
Gretel & Hansel
I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in the House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

It really would be more convenient if you used the portmanteau of "Team Lankins" to save time and keyboard wear-and-tear.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Saló is a stupid loving movie that basically accuses the italian people of not fighting hard enough against fascism and arrives at "its your own fault"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Franchescanado posted:

Respectfully, I have no idea how you came to this conclusion.
Because that's what he loving said?

Paolo Pausilini posted:

“Fascism . . . had not been capable of even scratching the soul of the Italian people; this new Fascism {he means decadent Italian life in the 70s, televisions and mass media}, armed with new means of communication and information . . . has not only scratched the soul of the Italian people but has lacerated, raped, and besmirched it forever.”
Sure sounds like he's saying how weak the lumpenprole are

Roberto Chisei, writing for the Criterion Collection posted:

It is the story of choosing a group of young people, at first from among the victims, and then atrociously eliminating those who do not, or cannot, submit to the codes stipulated in the regulations, that is to say, to the “laws that shall rule your life in here,”
I'm not pulling it out of thin air, it's a valid and acknowledged reading.

I'm not passing a value judgement on Pausilini or Salo, just saying what I got out of it is it felt like a movie chastising the victims of fascism (everyday Italians) for not fighting back harder, for acquiescing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

STAC Goat posted:

American Slasher Conference: #1 John Carpenter in Haddonfield Division, #2 Wes Craven in Hillsboro Division.
Should be Haddonfield/Springwood instead so there's letter difference in the name. Also lol at Hillsboro being more iconic than Springwood.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

How is Romero expected to win when he cant use his best movies?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

An entire week for just three movies seems absurdly glacial to kick things off, especially when it's three teams that couldnt be bothered to whip votes to get past "almost none"

The playin game is not on at 1200 pm Sunday in March Madness for a reason

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Still wild that the fat one is named Fatone

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Basebf555 posted:

I'm also way overdue for a rewatch of Under the Skin, and I can't wait to see a few reactions to it from first time viewers.
Under the Skin is probably my most-hated film of the last decade short of like, Dinesh D'Souza hit pieces. It commits the cardinal sin of any movie: being boring. At one point there is a 50 second single shot of Scarlett taking a single bite of a piece of cake. It's worthless. It's padding and in absolutely no loving world does this 43 minute Outer Limits episode need to creep up on 2 whole goddamn hours.

I'm not asking for a Kevin Smith movie, I understand the idea that sometimes it's the actors performance or the shot framing that makes a movie, but this feels more like a conceptual mood piece than an actual proper film. I'm glad it bombed, we're given nothing to hang our narrative heart on and other than one spooky body-horror moment, it's a tiresome slog.

If you told me 10 years ago that I'd be pissed off after watching a movie about a naked Scarlett Johanssen seducing dudes, I would not have believed you, but here we are.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm sorry Shrecknet but that is a godawful take.
I don't begrudge a movie being slow - Lake Mungo is absolutely glacial and it's one of my all-time favorites - but a movie being boring I cannot abide. Once we get the concept (alien come to earth to steal all our men's precious fluids) it's another hour of aimless driving and mumblecore dialog until something interesting happens again.

It is a bad movie because it is a boring, padded slog with only the barest of bones of plot or character to hang its hat on. Hard no on being forced to watch more garbage from a creator who doesn't appear to know how to make a movie.

If it was a 1 hour Masters of Horror episode, I'd probably like it a lot more.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 8, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

TrixRabbi posted:

I will say the way you're talking about Under the Skin it makes it sound like you wanted something plot oriented
yes this is what films are

quote:

when this is very much not what the film is about.
which is why I hated it.

Tone pieces are for 16-minute noodling prog-rock songs, movies should probably have something approximating a plot or they're wasting my time. Go ahead and crucify me for wanting to not have my time wasted by a guy jerking off on celluloid over what a deep tone piece he's made where nothing happens and there is no conflict or dialog or characters.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Franchescanado posted:

"I make movies that I find fascinating. I just don't think about censoring myself, or my ideas. I just tend to be fascinated with dark, controversial ideas." He then went to say "I can make other movies. I'd love to make a G or PG kids movie. I'd love to make all sorts of movies. .
He should team up with Eli Roth and make House with Clocks In The Walls 2

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Bones owns

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

STAC Goat posted:

Ack, I forgot to do that.
it might be easiest just to link their letterboxd page since letterboxd integrates with JustWatch so you can instantly see every platform it's on for free/rental/purchase. And if you have letterboxd pro you can even autofilter to your services.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Similarly I rewatched Evil Dead II for the first time since I was a gorehound teen (~1998?) and came away from it thinking it was a lot more enthusiastic than actually coherent or good. It's fun, but it's also "just" foundational instead of an unimpeachable classic the way Nightmare or Halloween are.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

The really neat trick Ghostbusters pulls is that, in every "ancient evil awakens and must be defeated in the modern day" story ever, it's always 'we have to find the Sumerian fertility idol and banish the monster using the age-old techniques thought lost to time' and in GB they straight-up refute that. There is no appeal to tradition or history, no reactionary "send a maniac to catch a maniac," just 'we invented this new technology using science, and we're gonna do an experiment and cross the streams and gently caress you, ancient demon, your rear end is busted'

That doesn't quite play out the same way in GB2, though it still doesn't go full appeal to tradition. Anyway that's my analysis of why Ghostbusters, a movie not even in this round, loving owns.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

married but discreet posted:

Who am I voting for? Gut feeling, Ghostbusters. There's more things that bother me with The Faculty, so a movie that's designed to not bother anyone beats that.
I'm gonna ask you to consider voting for The Faculty for the same reason you're giving for leaning towards GB2: A movie that is utterly terrified of taking chances (and maybe stumbling!) is worse than a movie that swings and misses. It's white noise. It's the fish tank channel on your Roku. Why did they waste Weaver and Ackroyd and Murray's creative time on something that, were it a shirt, would be size "Extra Medium"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Just watched Human Lanterns:

quote:

The ethereal, dream-like qualities that make Giallos almost unwatchable to me - the wild explosions of color and oneiristic plotting - are what Human Lanterns brings in spades. Essentially a Giallo kung-fu Shaw Brothers production, Human Lanterns doesn't bother much with escalating tension so much as descend almost instantly into full-bore insanity with the enthusiasm of someone who doesn't really know what they're doing but is gonna do the hell out of it.
The sets, costumes and - as always - stunt work are so incredibly well-done it's hard to fault it for the absolute schlock that it offers in terms of plot and performances, and although it whipsaws back and forth from a cheesy Saturday-afternoon UHF tone to some really gruesome grindhouse places, it's hard to really be disappointed.

Human Lanterns isn't always good, but it is always trying its best.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Just gonna repost why Saló is dumb from earlier:

Paolo Pausilini posted:

“Fascism . . . had not been capable of even scratching the soul of the Italian people; this new Fascism {he means decadent Italian life in the 70s, televisions and mass media}, armed with new means of communication and information . . . has not only scratched the soul of the Italian people but has lacerated, raped, and besmirched it forever.”
Sure sounds like he's saying how weak the lumpenprole are

Roberto Chisei, writing for the Criterion Collection posted:

It is the story of choosing a group of young people, at first from among the victims, and then atrociously eliminating those who do not, or cannot, submit to the codes stipulated in the regulations, that is to say, to the “laws that shall rule your life in here,”
I'm not pulling it out of thin air, it's a valid and acknowledged reading.

I'm not passing a value judgement on Pausilini or Salo, just saying what I got out of it is it felt like a movie chastising the victims of fascism (everyday Italians) for not fighting back harder, for acquiescing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

I recently watched Smash Cut, the Sasha Grey-led pastiche/love letter to 70s sleaze, and it wasn't good but it wasn't good for a specific reason: it needed to be a lot sleazier. It was just too nice to really land, while not being good enough to be legitimately good. So yeah, I get that endorsement of Ferrera; sleazy can be hella fun if it's done well.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Incredible Shrinking Man

A bit too heavy on the voice-over (though if you're going to narrate your story, you can do worse than Matheson I suppose) and the giant orchestra demanding I feel a certain way at all times was a lot, but the story (especially once he's abandoned downstairs) is just gripping and wonderful.
It suffers a bit in the beginning from a fairly unsympathetic lead who bullies his wife despite her trying her best in an utterly bizarre situation literally no one could prepare for, but eventually you come around on Carey and just want him to make it.
Effects and production design are all top-notch and hold up really well!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

the split diopter shot with his wife and cat in human-size seats and Carey in giant-sized seats is one of the coolest, funnest shots in the whole movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

STAC Goat posted:

On the off chances you haven’t seen Gremlins it IS a direct sequel with many references and characters but also you could definitely just enjoy Gremlins 2 on its own understanding the basic idea of little monsters. You’d just miss a few gags.
Ex-cuse me?!! The President's Day monologue in Gremlins 2 is the funniest thing in the entire movie and only works if you've seen the original.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Franchescanado posted:

What movies, if any, would say you like/love (4 stars or more, for Letterboxd standards), where you do not connect to the characters and/or find them all detached, or bad, evil, or reprehensible?
Pretty much the only movie like that on my LB 4+ stars is Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, and that is an exceptional movie in so many ways that it really stands alone.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

Ive only seen Henry once, it was a hard watch and while I got a lot out of it, its not exactly Mean Girls in terms of throwing it on for a rewatch while im cleaning the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nosferatu Enthusiast
@shrecknet

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Scanners is two memorable gore scenes starring a strong antagonist that bookend the film and then like an hour of a really bad lead piecing together a conspiracy. Unless you really enjoy that conspiracy stuff its a drag.
It kind of helps to learn Scanners started filming (not production, filming) with a half-finished script and off-hours were spent by Cronenberg and his PD driving around Toronto looking for cool buildings to shoot in.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 31, 2021