Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I was wondering why VG didn’t list the months at all and I guess they’re in the banners that are not displaying properly in the awful app (in dark mode at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

VideoGames posted:

Oh dark mode! I could do a 1px white stroke around the words if you think that will help?

I can see them now. Thanks!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Games I played and beat this year:

Resident Evil 7
Bloodstained
Uncharted 1-4 & Lost Legacy
Detroit: Become Human
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Wolfenstein Youngblood
Terminator: Resistance
Donut County
Secret of Mana PS4
Root Letter
Raging Loop
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Persona 5 Royal
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Dead or School
Trials of Mana
Sakura Wars
Tokyo Dark Remembrance
WorldEnd Syndrome
Our World is Ended
Yumeutsutsu Re: Master
Yumeutsutsu Re: After
Fatal Twelve
God of War
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
Disaster Report 4
The Last of Us Part 2
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen
Yakuza Kiwami
Man of Medan
Atelier Ryza
Fairy Tail
Avengers
13 Sentinels
Astro’s Playroom
Spider-Man Remastered
Death Comes True
Little Hope

Thanks pandemic! So out of all those, my top 10 ended up being:

10. Dark Pictures: Little Hope

I love these narrative style games. While they might play a little janky, I’m always down for a fun story that does the whole “choices” thing that alters how the game plays. Little Hope improves a lot over Man of Medan, it was a good bit longer and I never saw the twist coming like I did a million miles away with Man of Medan. If you like Telltale type games; Until Dawn; or of course, Man of Man; you will probably like Little Hope. Little Hope is a game that’s easily worth a 20$ purchase.

9. Yumeutsutsu Re: Master

This came across my radar when my job furloughed me and I was burning through games so fast I was gobbling anything up that looked interesting and a bunch of VN’s came my way. Yumeutsutsu isn’t in my top 10 because it has gameplay that makes it stand out from other games, but that it has a concept in mind and was willing to run with it. “Girls can marry other girls and have children because we say so” Game doesn’t bother explaining it, it can just happen. They stuck to their guns on a premise and I admired it. What held the game back for me, is the “bad” endings for the game were all sorts of major messed up stuff. Pure WTF territory. I still remember the game to this day though, so it definitely did some things right. Which is why it makes the list.

8. Disaster Report 4

I love Japanese games that are full of jank but you can tell they put their heart and soul into that jank. Last year it was Metal Max Xeno, this year its Disaster Report 4. Disaster Report 4 is what I want when a game gives me choices. Oh, I am doing a lady a favour? I can tell her it’s because she’s hot and I want her to be my girlfriend (you can still pick this option playing as a woman) you can get annoyed, you can ask for money, or you can do it out of the kindness of your heart. The game gives you a billion options for things and they almost never matter until they do. Trying to figure out what gives you good and bad points is an exercise in futility. The story scenario ranges from “oh that’s tragic” to “wait, why did they add this musical queue here. Is this supposed to be a serious story?”

Disaster Report 4 is the “B Movie” of games. You can tell they are trying to make an earnest video game, but their budget was 5$ and a burger king coupon. To hell with it they are going to make it work! A+ would buy Disaster Report 5 when it comes out.

7. Trials of Mana

Do you yearn for times when RPG’s didn’t have to feel like they were slick action games, and they were sort of cumbersome but fun and made up for its lack of smoothness with a charming story and good battle system idea? Basically, do you want a PS2 JRPG but in 2020? Trials of Mana is for you. Trials of Mana feels like someone unlocked a vault at Square-Enix and went “when the hell did we remake Trials of Mana, did we ever put this out?” and when everyone realized they forgot, they just upped it to 1080p, released it on PS4 and Switch and called it a day.

Trials of Mana is a solid action RPG that doesn’t shoot above its weight class and it’s all the better for it. This should be the blueprint for the next original mana game.

6. Tokyo Mirage Sessions (Switch version)

DO YOU LIKE JPOP AND IDOLS?

No seriously, do you? Because if you do, and love JRPGs. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a fun time. The story is nothing to write home about, but the battle system was incredibly engaging. Chaining attacks into gigantic mega-chains of death was one of the most satisfying experiences I’ve had this year with a JRPG. The main story leaves much to be desired. Tokyo Mirage Sessions feels like a meal where all the side dishes were the most flavourful things and when you get to the main course it’s just a clump of white rice. TMS shines because of the character dialogue, battle system, and music. Shame that I can’t even remember the main story. I hope they get a crack at a sequel because a TMS game with an actually good story could be a #1 GOTY contender for sure.

5. Dead or School

This probably would be higher if the list was “games I didn’t expect to be that good” I saw from the trailers that the game was going to be a Metroidvania style type game and I thought the premise seemed neat. I like anime so why the hell not? Dead or School was legit an amazing game that really felt like I was playing something that could have come out on the SNES or PSX in a good way. A fun push your luck exploration system where you’re constantly just trying to push forward, retreating when your health gets low to get to a regen spot. You make/find swords that have wildly different abilities. I went through half the game with a sword that did huge damage spikes when I dodge rolled into enemies and I had a blast. The bosses were fun to figure out how I needed to kill them, and some of the platforming reminded me of old school Mega-man games. Dead or School I think will go down as the best game released this year (in English) that nobody talked about. A game I purely enjoyed just for the gameplay.

4. Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth

Thanks to time off because of COVID I was finally able to sink my teeth into this series. I always wanted to get into it because I loved the anime. Utawarerumono is a series where it’s deceptively simple. There’s not much to the system, but the game really expects you to push what it offers to the limits if you want to challenge it all. I rarely enjoy tactics games, but Utawarerumono really shined and I absolutely loved the cast of characters. The story sucked me in and these 20-30 hour games (longer if you wanted to get plat trophy) felt like they were over so quick because of how everything came together. I really hope I can visit the world of Utawarerumono again with a new game because it feels unique in a way that no other setting has done for me.

3. Persona 5 Royal

Honestly, Persona 5 is probably my favourite game of all time if I thought about it. Persona 5 is stylish, the characters are fun to interact with, and everything about the game feels like so much love was put into it. Everything the game does feels like it is meant to “wow” you every single time you do something, even if it’s just entering the menu. The reworked systems and the new story made an already incredible game into something amazing. However, it falls a little short of being a GOTY because it still is something I already played before. I knew most of the beats. Even then I still sunk 90 hours into it like it was nothing and loved everything about it. While Persona 5 might be my favourite game of all time (and thus Royal definitely solidifies it) I would much rather give a personal nod to something new that blew me away this year.

2. FFVII: Remake

I like FFVII. I would probably say it or FFVI is my favourite of the series. So, when the remake was announced and it was going to have an action RPG battle system, I was really not holding out hope for the game. I loathe action RPG systems, they just never feel right and I always feel like I can’t take my time. While it’s true that this system still pushes you, the slowdown mechanic and the need to swap members and the menu system somehow worked. FFVII Remake somehow did everything right. It nailed the charm, it nailed the fighting, it looks amazing, and it was just so great to see that Square-Enix knows how to make a game that makes you go “poo poo, this is amazing.” I felt like I was transported back to my teen years experiencing it all over again. The game definitely has a flaw here and there, but I’ll be damned if it ruined anything for me. FFVII Remake is the game I think we all thought was going to be bad, but proved to us why giant swords are still so drat cool.

1. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

This game blew me away. I was excited for the game because I loved all of Vanillaware’s other games, but I was not expecting just how good and crazy this game would be. Honestly, nothing I say will prepare you for this game. It’s an experience that you have to play to believe in. Seeing other game developers talk about it was a masterpiece game I thought to myself “yeah, but WHY is it a masterpiece?” and it wasn’t until I played it that I found out. 13 Sentinels takes very basic gameplay systems and refines them to hell to make sure that what you play is fun, and then wraps it up in a story that will have you never wanting to put down the controller. Playing 13 Sentinels feels like they threw 6 balls up in the air and you’re trying to watch how they all fall only to turn around and realize there was 12 more balls thrown behind you and you’re trying to figure out how they all managed to get to the same place. Last of Us Part 2 has a good story, I’ll give it that. I don’t think it necessarily needed to be told, but I won’t deny it had impact. It was however, a slog. Last of Us Part 2 was a downer, brutal slog where I felt at times like they were trying to make things as depressing as they could and you can see it happening and it doesn’t work the way they wanted it to. 13 Sentinels, had me on the edge of my seat for every twist and turn and I haven’t felt that excited about a story in a long drat time.

13 Sentinels deserves to have people play it because it’s a game where you can tell they poured their heart and soul into it to make you care, and it deserves to be rewarded for it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hades is going to be the forums GOTY and it’ll be two years in a row where I haven’t played the forums GOTY.

(I don’t PC game so never played Disco, and I just never got interested in Hades especially since I usually don’t buy digital only games)

I wonder what the GOTY for 2021 that I will not play will be.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

punk rebel ecks posted:

How good is Trials of Mana exactly?

It’s good. It’s nothing amazing, but what it does it does well and it has a solid combat system with a fun lighthearted story.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I haven’t played the SA Games GOTY 2 years running now. Keep that streak alive! I’m a rebel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Heck yeah

I don’t know what being so far up and away means. I’m gonna assume it means I’m a cool dude.