Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Glad I stumbled across this thread; never noticed it in previous years but I'm jazzed to have new things to add to my list. For instance, I've been jonesin' for a new Tony Hawk game, even though I know the studio is defunct. What I had no idea, until just now, was that the THPS 1+2 remake was a remake and not just a port like I'd assumed. That and there've been good new Ska albums coming out recently :yeshaha:

So looking forward to checking out THPS 1+2, 13 Sentinels, Paradise Killer, and maaaybe Monster Train but I'm probably too snooty for it. That being said, I wanna give some additional love to:

5) Witcher 3. Okay, probably even nothing related to this game came out in 2020, but this year's when I've done the meat of my playthrough and finally set it to rest. Fantastic characters and a high density of absurdly well-written side-quests. I've just started Cyberpunk 2077 and it's fine and all but I'm not sure it'll capture the heart and soul of what made Witcher special: gettin' really drunk and makin' fun of Vesemir.

4) Magic: Arena. Gonna party like it's 1993. At this point you probably know if you like the game or not. But only recently did they get a tolerable online implementation of it, and hoo-ee being able to sit down for 5-10 minute junks and burn out some jank scratches that itch. They've got a recently good F2P scheme in that I pretty happily was free for a while then some stuff happened and I spent more money on it than on any other video game (but way less than real magic), and now I'm happily back to not spending money on it.

3) Obra Dinn. Yeah, it's a year or two old. Didn't get around to playing it 'til early-January. This is one of those games where if I think a person is going to like it, I tell them to just trust me and go in blind. It has yet to disappoint.

The only reason Outer Wilds isn't on my list is because I haven't played it. Clearly that must be remedied.

2) Hades. This game is disgustingly cohesive. As a hobbyist game developer I actually got depressed by how tightly integrated every aspect of design and implementation is. But it's also good. All the reasons everyone else have stated are true but I feel the game's main draw is that it's a top-tier Telenovela. My wife and I both played this one at the same time (first action game she's played, uhh, since we've been married? God mode good) and kept barging into each other's rooms to talk about who smooched who or what juicy sass was just thrown our way.

Also now we have a cat named Zagreus. He's a fierce hunter who has problems with authority and can't jump.

1) AI: The Somnium Files. I'm a fan of pretty much everything this dude spits out (including Pepsiman(!)), but Somnium Files really smoothed off all of the rough edges for a very compelling experience. I don't game all that often and my wife isn't generally directly interested but this one quickly became cozy TV time, to the point where once or twice she told me to stop doin' the household chores 'cause it was time for anime murder anime mystery anime time.

Hades was probably a better offering overall and Obra Dinn definitely burns the brightest, but Somnium Files left me all warm and fuzzy and satisfied while Obra Dinn left me with a dragon to chase and Hades kinda petered out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

D'oh. Just realized that 13 Sentinels is PS4-only.

Hopefully it gets the Disco Elysium treatment and gets an updated multi-port that I can also wait on.

Though based on their past publishing history, 'snot likely.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darkoni posted:

#4 Dangan Ronpa v3 Killing Harmony (PC)

You think this'd be enjoyable if I essentially haven't played nor watched the previous two?

I played a bit of the first one long long ago and kinda liked it (though it also had some rough edges). I also really enjoyed Somnium Files so more games of this nature are A-OK by me.

But if it leans too heavy on prior knowledge of the series then I'm fine doing other things.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I did not realize good goon-game Caves of Qud was both still in development and also still in early access. Followed that one for a bit what felt like (and probably was) years ago; I'm assuming it can only have gotten better.

I'll wait for them to slap a 1.0 milestone on it before I dive back in but I'm going to have to block some time out on my calendar when it does.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Panic Restaurant posted:

7- Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (PS Vita, 2016)

I'm sure AI: Somnium Files is on your list but one thing that impressed me was how the game went from looking kinda ugly to being surprisingly expressive. I dunno if a different studio or a higher budget or just more experience made the difference, but AI:SF was a thoroughly pleasing visual experience.

Despite Date dressing like a dumb-dumb.

e: vvv Oh yeah, definitely do it in English. The voice actors knocked it out of the park.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 25, 2020

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jerusalem posted:

Have you played Blood & Wine yet? I loved Heart of Stone but I think B&W is about as close to perfection as DLC (but really an expansion) as you're gonna get, with an absolutely incredible ending both to the DLC and the game as a whole.

I feel like I'm missing something here -- Heart of Stone was a small but tight story; B&W was a fun big extra area but the ending seemed to only have to do with the characters you met in the expansion.

Was it just that people really liked the idea of Geralt finally retiring?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Infinitum posted:

4 - Yakuza: Like A Dragon
Here's everything you need to know about this game
https://i.imgur.com/Qdzx1yq.mp4

Welp, that's going right near the top of my to-do list.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How's the English dub? And actually, how many unvoiced lines are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks VideoGames for all the posts about Video Games. Gotta wrest my scrollin' arm now.

Also quoting goodsong.