Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Honorable Mention Awards:

Best game everyone loved but I thought was simply good: Hades
I recognize the innovation in storytelling for a roguelike, the richness of the characters and the world, the depth of the boon interactions and weapons for run diversity, and all the polish, but after 1 victory I was done with playing the same 4 levels over and over. I liked it way better than their last few games for sure. I think maybe i'm just in my own boat cause i work with greco-roman culture/languages and have huffy opinions about things and some degree of subject burnout lol.

Best game i didn't like but not for the same reason as everyone else: Tlou 2
This game plays exactly like the last one. I didn't like waiting in detective vision crouch mode for simplistic zombie patrol routes to pass around 8 years ago and I still don't loving like it. Let me hip fire a gun at these annoying rear end dogs that i want to murder remorselessly, neil fuckman! Great face and rope tech tho. very impressed graphically even after being wowed in uc4. Also I won't overlook the few actual additions to the gameplay that I liked: the wider outdoor levels with lots of routes and the 1 small open part. if the whole game was explorative i would have liked it more.

Best lovely sequel worth playing: Deadly premonition 2
DP2 is worse than DP in every way except its gunplay. it runs unacceptably bad on switch. it's way too simple and short in its plot. there's basically nothing to do in town. But at the end the game speaks directly to the player and if you ever loved York he makes you forgive him for being in such an unworthy follow up.

Best Fight Crab: Fight Crab
This game owns. sorry if you don't think so. good day, sir.

Best doom clone of 2020: Prodeus
Play prodeus. Crank the volume up.

:siren: The top 10 games of 2020: :siren:

10. Monster Train
I'm not the biggest fan of card games, roguelites, or tower defense but somehow this combo of all three was probably my most played game this year. Every run has you pick a primary and secondary race of monsters and figure out how to synergize their abilities together and arrange their units on each lane on the board to be most effective. This makes each race go so much further in terms of variety and replay-ability as their gameplan differs wildly based on who they are paired with.
All the races are super unique and the challenge is in a tough but fair sweetspot until you start cranking up the difficulty modifiers with each subsequent win.

9. Astros Playroom
Pure joy. A homage to playstation's past and a big introduction to the potential of its future. This game is the wii sports of haptics. It shows you the best of whats possible on the dualsense controller and leaves you wanting so much more. This is my first platinum trophy too, thanks to the ps5 hint system built into the game i cleaned up all the missing tasks without ever needing to look something up on my phone...the game just made it so easy. The game plays like an all time great 3d platformer too and the music is still in my head a month later. A free demo game more deserving of a full sequel has never existed.

8. Demon's Souls (2020)
This is the definitive demon's souls. Any personal feelings about the changes to some designs are blown away by the fidelity and performance that bluepoint achieved in their remake. The game design holds up as truly classic, the presentation is top notch, the gameplay is improved, and they even tossed in a mirrored mode to help make it feel fresh.

7. The Pathless
After not liking abzu very much beyond its visuals i was skeptical of this follow up but they delivered on gameplay for me big time. Movement is effortless, puzzles and secrets are challenging and satisfying, you can rub the bird...its a total package. The only thing keeping it out of the top 5 is its reuse of boss mechanics for every stealth or combat encounter. Having every boss be different would have gone a long way to fully capturing the shadow of colossus vibe they were going for.

6. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
RGG studios are masters of making their series feel fresh for another underworld saga and this time they made their most radical departure in terms of both character and gameplay. The rpg system isn't perfect, it has many of the same problems that the dragon quest combat and skill systems it is homaging have, but the party structure and growing stronger together serves the narrative themes of friendship and cooperation so well in a way that a beat 'em up couldnt.

5. Final Fantasy 7 (2020)
In an era of great remakes and reimaginings its rare to see a game so boldly reject the story of the beloved original version. Mostly its a big dumb Nomura-style disaster but it doesn't matter. The nostalgia is on point and new life has been breathed into formerly shallow characters. The total mess of a real time action combat system from final fantasy 15 has finally reached its potential and it was a joy to battle with every combination of characters. I can't imagine what is coming next, but i'm so fully satisfied with part 1 that I don't really care.

4. Ghosts of Tsushima
This was going to be on my list anyway but the free multiplayer dlc pushed it right into the top 5. The visuals of this game are insane; charging through a flowing field of flowering pampas grass on horseback, driving a screen-filling flood of grasshoppers and toads in front of you through the moonlight as the trees sway and ember particles fly through the air...its just overwhelming in particle density and color vibrancy. The gameplay feels great too and is adaptable enough for a fantastic class-based raid mode to have been designed from it for the legends dlc. Ghosts does suffer from standard open world problems and an uninteresting story, but it puts other games in its genre to shame in presentation, value, and fun.

3. Ghostrunner
This game pushes you to the limits of what you are capable over and over again and then asks you to exceed them. It gives you instant reloads after death, incredibly fun and fluid titanfall-style grapple/wallrun movement, and the ninja toolkit you need to murder all the cops in your way to the top of the tower. The plot isn't spectacular, the challenge can feel overwhelming at times, but it feels so good to be tested and triumph.

2. Desperados 3
I loved studio mimimi's last game, shadow tactics, and this is its spiritual successor. The pinnacle of realtime stealth tactics is here, pardner. This is the 1st game i've played that has an onscreen quicksave reminder flashing at you every 60 seconds since you last hit f5 because its so easy to get wrapped up in the next challenge on the map and forget. Voice acting and characterization is top notch along with graphics and map design that will test all your ingenuity and skill to survive to the end of the revenge story's excellent arc and final epic showdown.

1. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
This game is a triumph of narrative, characterization, and pacing. It effortlessly blends all the great 70's and 80's scifi films into one coherent and gripping story in a way that you could not imagine being possible. This isn't merely a tour of hollow E.T., Terminator, et al. nostalgia, it is somehow, against all odds, capturing the suspense, emotional connection, and impact of those films and imparting them on the otherwise very tiresome anime high school setting. The cast of excellent characters is massive, the art is gorgeous, and the combat mode is an great addition to the VN/adventure gameplay and is dense with customization to explore for all your sentinels. Vanillaware has finally come into its own by dropping the simplistic mashy combat that has been their hallmark and making its beautiful hand-painted art not just some set dressing for fights but a lived in place thats important in the lives of its characters.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im not done with my formatting and write ups but my order is set

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ok i think i finished! Happy holidays guys

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I thought bug fables was great until i hit like never ending puzzles to progress and got bored

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm excited to read your list this year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ai the somnium files is the best game thats not 13 sentinels or disco elysium

Escobarbarian posted:

The praise I’ve seen for 13 Sentinels would be enough to encourage me to pick it up if not for the RTS sections. Why did it have to be RTS......

its not. the game pauses when its your turn. you just need to wait on a timer for your turn

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 14, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rarity posted:

I only just got it's called Like A Dragon cause it's Like Dragon Quest :negative:

Thats part of it, but like a dragon is the series' name in japanese. This is a resident evil: biohazard situation, coincidentally also a 7.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mario gotyssey? Wheres the ring?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yah anodyne 2 rules

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah the mafia remake was great

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

I'd love to yammer on a podcast about it, it's seriously an impressive achievement, especially the ending.

lets start one.
Episode 1: why is paulies accent so much more freaking chicago than everyone else?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weedle posted:

does it still end with a rap song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wof0LIMvyZU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Judgement owns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

garfield hentai posted:

I've never heard of this before but this looks extremely, extremely my poo poo.

Its great

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I liked hylics 2 but i wish it had no platforming

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Most vanillaware games have stayed exclusive sadly. The wii one got a vita directors cut and the ps2/ps3 ones came to ps4 but i think thats it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Keep a game diary!

Yeah i do this on a spare channel in a discord nobody looks at

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its special

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

yakuza 0 combat is fun lol

Beast mode!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Charismatic autobiography + cool towel = a very bad time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sonic 2 for gamegear with the impossible hang gliding part right at the start was one of my biggest regret purchases as a kid. 1 was much better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ai also has a superb english voice track in case any sub haters wanted to nope out of it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No worms?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spelunky 3 should be the same thing again but actually impossible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Always kill the dog in tlou2
Never not

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They were no angels

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

If you are attacked by a dog, it is your duty to let yourself be shredded

Who names a dog "yourself"?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sir_Phobos posted:

10. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
This game felt great to play from the moment I started it up. Charging and releasing arrows, dodge rolling, and jumping around just clicked perfectly. I find myself enjoying shorter games these days, and Momodora is definitely what I would call short and sweet.

9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
I didn’t have very high expectations for this game, but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Exploration was satisfying, and the variety of weapons and abilities was really nice. Great voice acting, too.

8. Cosmic Star Heroine
I hadn’t played any of Zeboyd’s other games before this one, but Cosmic Star Heroine was clearly made by someone who loves and understands RPGs. The influences of Phantasy Star and Chrono Trigger on this game are apparent, but it introduces a lot of really cool modern features like resources that are replenished after each battle, so you don’t have to worry about conserving items or MP before a boss fight. Loved the humor, loved the setting, and the characters were charming.

7. Brandish: The Dark Revenant
After playing the SNES port of Brandish back in the day, I found it really fascinating, even though I never made it very far. It’s a third-person dungeon crawler RPG, and its most noteworthy features are a camera that’s locked to the back of your character’s head, and a really goofy rival character that constantly gets owned by traps. I decided to make my way through the PSP remake this year, and I’m glad I finally did. It was extremely challenging, but ultimately rewarding.

6. Nier (aka Nier Gestalt)
I had this game sitting on the shelf for the longest time without ever touching it. After buying and downloading Nier: Automata, I remembered that I owned Nier as well, so I started playing that instead. The combat wasn’t great, but it was serviceable. I fizzled out on doing all of the sidequests pretty quickly. It had some really beautiful music though, and the characters were very endearing. Can’t wait to try out Automata.

5. Cuphead
I’m a big fan of Treasure games, especially Gunstar Heroes, so Cuphead grabbed me pretty quickly. I found myself enjoying the run ‘n gun stages more than the boss fights. I was more impressed by the spectacle of the bosses, though.

4. Blazing Chrome
This game felt like a spiritual successor to Contra: Hard Corps, but it was unique enough to stand on its own. I struggled with it at first, but after spending time with it, I think it’s really well put-together.

3. River City Girls
To me, this game is greater than the sum of its parts. It’s not my favorite beat-’em-up, but some of the dialogue made me laugh, I loved the soundtrack, and I liked the style overall. The core gameplay loop of beating rear end, getting money, and spending it to learn more moves in order to beat more rear end is very satisfying.

2. Enter the Gungeon
I enjoy the occasional roguelite, and I’ve always been curious about shmups even though I’m generally not very good at them. So it was a little surprising to me just how much fun I had with Gungeon. It’s just extremely addicting to start a run and roll the dice to see what kind of bullets you’ll be shooting by the end of it.

1. La-Mulana 2
I played through the La-Mulana remake for the first time a few years ago, and it was simultaneously an exasperating and delightful experience. The pure elation from discovering a solution, whether through ingenuity or sheer boneheaded luck, fueled my desire to soldier onward. When the “Hidden Treasures” collection of La-Mulana 1 and 2 released earlier this year, I finally played through the sequel, and it delivered the exact same experience without feeling at all like a retread. La-Mulana 2 has so much detail and care put into it for fans of the first game, but it also improves upon the original with more sensible puzzles, better-themed levels, and more memorable NPCs, and I just adored it.

this list is v good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DalaranJ posted:

From soft didn’t put summons in Sekiro because they didnt want to playtest their ai with 2 players when it was already dying from rocks and stairs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The lack of desperados 3 and ghostrunner noms in this thread is very disturbing and hopefully you embrace quickload culture and try them both out next year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

As someone who "jumped" straight from Kiwami 2 to Yakuza 7, just do yourself a favor and jump into it right now.

Over 20 hours in and so far it has literally has zero connection with the other games what so ever. No mention of Kiryu, Majima, or anything at all.

Play them in order imo. Y7 gets hung up on passing the torch in the back half and the callbacks come fast

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ketchup vs catsup posted:

how much better will Yakuza: LaD be if I've played Yakuza 0-6 vs not?

Its probably fine but see my very vague non spoiler-spoiler earlier itt about it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

The FF7 Remake review is the only Action Button video I haven’t seen but I was under the impression from other comments Tim made that he was pretty down on it so that’s quite interesting

Also, a couple of people have made this mistake in recent posts, so just to remind people:

The Outer Worlds
Outer Wilds (no The)

ff7 is the bottom of his list but being on the list means its a important game. Its an exclusive list

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Augus posted:

I was too busy playing video games to remember to make my list of my favorite video games :saddowns:

Its cool, vg is gonna cheat to make the list bloodborne and 9 kirby games as the gaming god intended

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Looper posted:

games goty thread ranks the kirby franchise

Robobot 10 times

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You should get robobot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

P good. None of them are terrible. I'd have different ones but its not an embarrassing list

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imhotep posted:

I bought Eliza on Switch, which I'd never heard of before I saw it on your list and I thought it sounded interesting, plus it was only 7 bucks or something. it *BETTER* be worth it

Its good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uc4 is good for a cinematic cover shooter dont sell it short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you heard it folks, this years list is nier, bloodborne, and portal 2 with lifetime achievement award going to eric wolpaw. thanks for playing see you next year.