Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay. I've read the thread carefully, and considered this high and sober for far too long. Here's the list.

10) Fortnite. Wait what? That silly kids game? You're really putting it as number ten? It's dumb. Well yes, it is, but it also does events better than anyone else, and in terms of sheer hours played with friends all over the country, it's unmatched. I've been playing now for two years because of that. At the same time, it's getting stale. Battle passes have lost a lot of value (skins are slowly getting worse and worse) and the map is also feeling old at this point. Every little kid thinks they can be a pro gamer and the match making means you fight totally monsters who think there's money on the line or literally bots. Frankly among gamers this game is still underrated though.

9) Modern Warfare. My other friends (aka the dad age dudes) are now playing this. I resisted, (and partly because this game would kill my PS4 pro every-time I booted it up to play till I got a PS5) but Loot game mode alone is a total blast and while I doubt this game will be there next year, for now it's a blast on a Saturday with stressed friends in rough relationships also all over the country.

8) Star Wars Squadrons. A good (though I'd prefer a classic remake and sequel to the rouge squadron games) Star Wars flying game? In 2020? I'll take it!

7) Super Mario All Stars Bundle For Switch I have never played the classic 3D mario's. So I'm going back to these with fresh eyes and I can see what classics they are. I have not beaten any of these three, but so far a few levels into each I adore this. I'm taking a month off in early 2021 (Either January or February) from playing any PS5 games and focusing on my switch back log, and can't wait to dig into all three of these.

6) Tetris Effect. Brillant Music. Brilliant game.

5) Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 Remake Classics that stand the test of time and remind me I was never good at these games but love them.

4) The Legend of Zelda Links Awakening (Switch) One of my favorite games of all time that is just as good if not better here. Love it. It would be one or two spots higher if not for frame rate. Hopefully a switch pro will solve this? Maybe?

3) Animal Crossing New Horizons. The game that saved a lot of goons and folks from depression this year. It's a great Animal Crossing game but maybe not the best game? I play far less than I did of course, but will be playing again at major events.

2) Resident Evil 2 (Remake). I've never played much RE. I've played through R4 on Wii, and this is my second full RE game. God. It's brilliant. Truly a top 10 for me of all time possibly.

1) The Last Of Us Part 2 Yeah. I know. That game. But here’s the thing. It is a truly masterpiece of a game. Masterpiece does not mean perfect. Folks around here like to poo poo on it for a lot of reasons. I think most of the criticisms here is because goons are overweighing the opinions of maybe a dozen people (at most) but there are criticisms I’ll address.

In my eyes (and again, this is all subjective) there are 3 main valid criticisms of this game. I’m going to briefly address them all before I jump into why this is GOTY. The first is the easiest. The requirement of the player to do violence when they don’t wish to, for story sakes. I do agree it’s a limitation I would agree with, until we dive more into the story of the game. I didn’t love doing said things, but in terms of the scope and story they are trying to tell, it makes sense.

The next big criticism of the game is crunch to make the game. The industry has a problem here. They should be better. But every major game studio has this problem, and it’s usually only cherry picked for gamers when it’s a game they want to criticize in other ways but try to use this as a way of hearing more progressive than they actually are. See how many people in the cyber punk thread are in someways defending the crunch, even though the game itself at release was a buggy mass and clearly should've had another six months before they actually released it, but because it lives up to what that poster once, they make jokes about things like how it should've been released on seven-year-old hardware.

lastly, the third criticism is handling of trans issues. I'm leery of touching on this. If you are trans and you found the game offensive I'm sorry. Your opinion is of course more valid than mine because of your lived experience. What But I will say as someone who tries to pay attention to LBGTQ+ issues (because i’m a writer, and want to include more inclusivity because that’s the way forward to tell stories) I did not find the game anything other than progressive. The main trans character in the game is arguably the best human in the game, and the only one that does not do anything wrong. (actually there’s arguably three people in this group, but they are the least questionable in their actions). Yes, they are dead named, but only by the religious zealots who were clearly in the wrong, and not often ( I think twice?). And while it was a plot point of the game, them being trans was not this central plot point.

So why is this game so drat good and the GOTY?

The gameplay. Dear God the gameplay of a stealth action horror game is perfection. There's no one way to go about the main areas of the game. You can be a stealthy little rear end in a top hat, a brutal murder machine fighter, or some combination of both. The game gives you these arenas and clearly does not have a bias of which way to go about it. As long as you understand the true mechanics up again, there's a lot of ways to skin this particular animal. Improved on literally everything in the first game and made it significantly better.

The music is also incredible, not to mention the acting and storytelling in general. All of these actors are giving Award were the performances and the animations of them are truly next gen feeling.

Finally, the story itself. It’s not the story a lot of gamers wanted.
What i’ve noticed is that most of the great storytellers on twitter that I follow also think this is objectively a masterpiece.
Because it's a drat good one. It's a meditation on violence, and revenge.

I think often a lot of fans struggled with the story because at its core its rejection of general western Christian philosophy, which has seeped in and then been ingrained in so many of us, even those resist it or argue we’ve thrown off it’s shackles.
It takes a character that at the beginning you hate, and at the end at least in my case I came to deeply care about, which is truly impressive.

It is also thematically, a perfect mirror to the first game. Neil and Haley are truly two of the most underrated people in the industry today, at least by reddit, twitter, and these forums. I can't wait to see what they do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think Neil is done directing because he was just promoted to co-president. Looks like ND will be allowing fresh blood to direct projects going forward.

For sure. He's also co writing the show with CM. I'm saying creatively he's an underrated force is all.