Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Wooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Game of the Year baybayyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

I am not the OP but I am making this rule official with my authority :hai:

:hai:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Weedle posted:

i mostly played old/backlogged games this year so my goty is dark souls. i have never played a more rewarding rpg and i'm very glad to have finally experienced this

Year of play is acceptable and encouraged.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Oh no, you use the wrong bold tags :negative:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

Hades gets my votes (often and hard) because no other game released for a system after the SNES has given me nintendo thumb. It's the whole package. Great story, voice acting, and action. The soundtrack is amazing. It's very replayable. You can pet the dog (He's a good boy, even if only one of his heads likes pets).

Special shoutouts to runners up Wingspan and Feather for being my go-to chill out and calm down games for 2020. Both are games about birds, the former a boardgame about building up a wildlife preserve, the latter a very mellow birdy flight sim.

I would encourage you to read the voting rules in the OP if you want to be counted!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Mario gotyssey? Wheres the ring?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I've seen you mention Blaze Union twice in the last month (I think?) and it is a real bummer it's untranslated. It seems very much my thing.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

wuggles posted:

As someone who feels pressure to buy the hot games as soon as they come out so I can partake of the Discourse, I appreciate SA’s approach to GOTY where your entire list can be a 10-permutation of the TurboGrafx 16’s library

We're not games media so limiting yourself to things that came out this year is kind of silly, in my ever-so-humble opinion. I'm far more interested in what people are playing and enjoying in a year more broadly over a year. Especially because keeping up with the pace and frequency of releases is an impossible task and expensive and probably all of us have giant backlogs.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I wish y'all would rank your stuff and also hit the 5 game minimum + blurbs, I hate to see a lot of these lists going uncounted in the end. :ohdear:

I may go through and send some softly worded PMs to people who have lists that won't get counted at some some point tonight

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

garfield hentai posted:

My latest post was just some additions that I put into my original post ITT where it has the rankings and everything, or am I missing something else?

No you're good.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

A bunch of us in the PS4 thread played or finished it for the first time finally this year

A great way to end a generation.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Boy 2020 sure sucked, eh? Here's some thoughts on some games I liked and I think you may like too:

10. Hades
Hades is by no means a bad game. This year I played enough of 27 games to consider them for my top 10 and Hades stood tall over some games I really enjoyed. I’ve spent a fair bit of time reflecting on why my personal thoughts on Hades are so different from the broad consensus and time and again I come back to the idea that I’ve been playing Hades throughout early access. Seeing Hades built up bit-by-bit was an interesting and satisfying experience. It was great to see the game take form and shape and direction in front of my very eyes, but I think it did affect my experience with the final product. I do think having been with Hades for a year and a half, or so, before final release took some of the sheen off of the game at the end. I’ll just chalk it up as another reason to not play early access games in the future.

9. Crusader Kings III
Any game that can get me to stare at what is essentially a static map for hours on end has to be doing something correct. Crusader Kings III is, to me (an admitted Paradox Games newbie), a straight upgrade to Crusader Kings II in every way. The strength of Crusader Kings III is when the actual game mechanics make way for cool narrative moments. The best part of playing Crusader Kings III is weaving tales about how you spent a decade as the Queen of Ireland repeatedly assassinating Kings of England or how you slew your own brother and took his lands or any myriad ways you can consolidate and organize your power.

8. Divinity Original Sin II
Divinity Original Sin II has a ton of problems. I think the combat is poor and the item progression is bordering on unacceptably bad. I ended up repeatedly giving myself gear by cheats and played on easy because I had no interest in engaging with those systems. That all being said, Divinity Original Sin II’s forte is in its storytelling. This is a game that excels in the small moments and the personal moments. The most compelling stories in this game aren’t the broad narrative about (who would have thunk it…) divinity, but the stories of interesting people and things you meet along the way. At its best, Divinity Original Sin II understands that games can and should be able to do both comedy and drama side-by-side.

7. The Procession to Calvary
The best renaissance and classical music irreverent comedy based adventure game I played in 2020. It’s relatively cheap and fairly short and does not overstay its welcome. Consider picking this up, genuinely.

6. Prey (2017)
Prey is the best Bioshock game you can play. The first 30 or so minutes of Prey are worth the price of admission alone and are a masterful bit of writing and game design. Prey made me care about the setting and collecting every bit of detail and information about what the hell was going on with Talos-I and the people who lived there. Exploring is, once you get beyond the fear of mimics, intensely rewarding. Every area is littered with new and interesting things to collect and your efforts rarely go without reward. Prey gives you a set of tools and abilities and really sets you on your way to figure out what and how you want to play on your own and the GLOO gun is the best weapon in a video game since the Portal gun.

5. Final Fantasy VII Remake
It almost pains me to have this only halfway through my list. I have complicated feelings about this game. It shouldn’t have worked, Final Fantasy VII is too beloved and surely you couldn’t add enough to the game where the whole thing ends as you leave Midgar, right? Every shred of doubt I had about this game prior to playing it immediately faded the first time Tifa’s theme played and I was sold on this project. I think the combat is crunchy enough and varied enough to stay interesting throughout. Some sections, admittedly, felt very old-school JRPG running-through-hallways, but it never feels particularly dull or slow. I am excited to see where part two brings us and what sorts of things are in store for the remainder of this project.

4. The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
In a year in which Cyberpunk 2077 in conspicuously absent from my list, I did play a CD Projekt Red game that was a remarkable experience, it just happened to be the first expansion to The Witcher 3. I’ve been playing The Witcher 3 on somewhat of a drip feed for the past few years, where I will spend a while playing it, give it a break and pick it back up when the urge hits me. Last year, I had finished the base game and this year was the year I was going to play the first expansion. What I found was simply the best story told in The Witcher 3. I will probably end up playing Blood and Wine in 2021 and am very interested in comparing the two. It’s hard to isolate any one moment of the expansion that isn’t near perfect, let alone a waste of your time. In terms of respecting your time, Hearts of Stone is among the best.

3. AI: The Somnium Files
I’m not sure what remains to be said about this game that hasn’t been said over the last two years. It’s a game and story with a ton of heart. It is funny and sad and compelling, frequently at the same time. The english dub is incredibly done and the story goes places. I’m fairly certain AI: The Somnium Files has turned me into the VN Gamer now.

2. Dusk
Just loving rips, absolutely shreds.

1. Noita
Noita is a game where I frequently say to myself “this is probably going to kill me” and then I do it anyway and without fail end my run because I did something colossally stupid. The part where Noita succeeds is that it has taught me something about it, every time I die. Noita succeeds, more often than not, in getting me to play just one more run. The endless combination of spells and triggers and modifiers tickles my brain in just the right way, the same way that Binding of Isaac did for years. Noita has become a comfort game to me -- something I can just sit down and play without much active thought while listening to a podcast or watching a video on my second monitor. There’s so much to Noita that I’ve yet to fully understand or experience in the time I’ve already banked that I can’t wait to get hoisted by my own petard repeatedly learning for hours on end.

Amp fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 31, 2020

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

You need minimum 5 to get counted, so I would consider putting Destiny as your #5!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Just under 3 hours to get final submissions in!!!!!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

you heard it folks, this years list is nier, bloodborne, and portal 2 with lifetime achievement award going to eric wolpaw. thanks for playing see you next year.

wrap it up hadesailures

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Time Zone info:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

not an emptyquote

You can emptyquote in Games freely.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

We can get some Woopers in.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Harrow posted:

I wish I had played 13 Sentinels and Yakuza: Like a Dragon in 2020 because I absolutely would've put them both pretty high on my list. What a couple of extremely cool games.

Let me tell you about this cool year we've got now it's 2021 and you can put them on your list this year!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I'm here in my finest suit

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu9V3Phfsf8

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I mortgaged the house on Ring Fit Adventure winning the entire year, oh God they're gonna break my knees. :gonk:

I will be sending my brother, Slapjack.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:allears: I love GOTY

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Stux posted:

anodyne 2

based on my memory alone it was on more than just your list

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

pillars of eternity not to get confused with path of exile or pillars of the earth

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

This was on my Spotify most played songs the year Prey came out and I didn't play Prey until last year.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

VideoGames posted:

51. Hitman 2 (io Interactive)
35 points. 7 votes in total. 0 time at #1. Average of 5.000

2nd year in main list.

Rarity posted:

Nice timing cause this just hit my playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx507J6R5oQ

lol

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

THERE'S ONLY 1 HITMAN FOR ME AND THAT'S THE BEST THERE IS THE BEST THERE WAS THE BEST THERE EVEN WILL BE BRET "THE HITMAN" HART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqMNuit1dM0

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

Not sure how that's possible when he's not THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

was honestly expecting you to go for bret the shitman fart

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Hitman 2 was really cool because it let you play all the Hitman 1 levels. Hitman 3 is going to be great I hope.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Ahem, that's Butt "The Shitman" Fart :colbert:

:negative:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

wuggles posted:

What is the mathematical definition of “big game”? Top 10?

buddy you do NOT want to see the forumla for determining "big game"

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

New Super Metis posted:

It's Sunday morning and I am excited to be here to spectate this list! Thank you VG for your hard work!

perfect time for fairy bread

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Here are my demands from the gaming industry:

1. Unionize
2. Pc ports of every game

maybe you could go on posting strike until that happens

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

wow the cops suggesting a strike, the world is changing

:cop::cop::cop:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

horizon zero yawn

Yeah it's super action packed, a great fun game.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Theres no way I'm gonna be able to stay up for all this

the posts will be there in the morning :)

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

and now it's time for arbitrary FROM rankings here we go

Bloodborne >>>>>> nuDeS/DeS >>>> Sekiro > DS3 >>> DS1 >> DS2

noooooooooooo

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Sekiro is a Bloodborne-lite and Bloodborne is a Souls-lite so that makes Sekiro a Souls-lite-lite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

fuckin' play noita