Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I love this thread every year, it always gives you a good way to see a neat mix of new good games and older gems that people are still playing or just picking up!

10) Rune Factory 4 Special

One of my favorite 3DS games got a Switch port! This is a fun hybrid game that mashes up Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons style farming with a full action RPG dungeon diver with some ridiculous crafting/Monster raising and other subsystems. What sets it apart from a lot of the other games in the genre is how much personality and dialogue it is infused with. Every single character has hundreds of incidental lines of dialogue and dozens of mini-events which help the social side of the game feel incredibly alive which is one of my normal issues with this game. Being able to play it again without being locked to the 3DS screen ruled but man was I missing that second screen a bit.

9) Super Robot Wars X

The awkward middle child of the recent loose Super Robot Wars PS4/Switch trilogy, I gained a new appreciation for it this year by playing a draft of it with some other goons. It was a hell of a lot of fun and doing a chapter by chapter write up of my playthrough and experiences with it made me end up liking it a lot more than I had when I first played it a few years ago. Its pretty standard Super Robot Wars fare with all your favorite robot animes in one giant crossover clusterfuck, but its endearing as hell and X tried to go with a fairly mystical/supernatural theme for its original plot which was neat and a cool change of pace for the series!

8) Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Like the absolute definition of gaming comfort food and something that helped out a lot earlier this year when I was in lockdown. Animal Crossing has always held a huge amount of appeal for me since the first one back on the Gamecube, my brother and I bonded over it and played it for hours. It was really nice this year since we both got it and visited each other's islands a lot which helped us stay connected even though we couldn't always see each other :unsmith:

7) Rimworld: Royalty

Everyone's favorite warcrimes simulator Colony builder, Rimworld got its first big DLC release this year with the Royalty expansion which added psychic powers and a host of new insanity. The mod scene for the game is robust as hell and I played for dozens of hours trying out everything from having Wookies, Turians and Skaven loving up my colonies to total conversions that made it into a Lord of the Rings game. It hits exactly the right notes for me to just want to play around with.

6) Slay the Spire

A Deckbuilding Roguelike that I keep coming back to, Slay the Spire is a fantastic game if you're looking to scratch that roguelike itch. Runs are kept to a reasonable length for you to squeeze in a round when you can and I enjoy the hell out of its aesthetic and really tight overall game design.

5) Monster Train

What if you fused Slay the Spire with some Tower Defense DNA? Monster Train is a game after my own heart, fusing two of my favorite niche genres into something really unique and fun. The devs have been really active about supporting it since release and it has exactly the same kind of lizard brain appeal for me Slay the Spire does.

4) Darkest Dungeon

This game may have the greatest modding scene out of any game I've ever played including Bethesda's entire back catalogue. I did a really deep dive in and found like a hundred unique new classes with professional grade and rigged art and just spent a ton of time doing runs with dumb poo poo like Iron Man in my party along with more lore friendly stuff.

3) Wasteland 3

My big dumb RPG for the year, Wasteland is a series that originally inspired Fallout and since a successful kickstarter like a decade ago has made two new isometric games in the vein of old school Fallout 1 and 2. Wasteland 3 is a much better sequel to the fairly maligned Wasteland 2 which stuck a bit too hard to its grognardy roots and in general was an absolute blast to play. You can also do really dumb stuff, the screen shot shows off some of the maximum 11 combat pets I managed to get following my party of 6 around by the end of the game :v:. It turned combat into a clusterfuck but like hell was I ditching my attack chicken.

2) Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition

An absolute monster of a game that got active DLC updates and re-releases for a pretty absurd amount of time. I own it 3 times across 3 different consoles (WiiU, 3DS, Switch) and it is one of my favorite games ever. Its got a frankly absurd amount of content and I'm still chipping away at finishing it, but its basically pure glorious Zelda fanservice that gives love to most of the franchise and combines it was the satisfying gameplay of Dynasty Warriors.

1) Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

https://imgur.com/BNC40Xp.mp4

An iteration that builds on the original Hyrule Warriors and out-does it in every way. Subweapons are integrated a lot better, every character is fun to play... its an absolute step up in almost every way. Serves basically as a 'What if?' prequel to Breath of the Wild where things start going pretty wildly off-script and the story is surprisingly solid with some serious money and effort behind the cutscenes. They do the smart thing and make Zelda the focus protagonist while Link is the comic relief and it works really well. Cannot sing its praises enough and I'm sure I'll be playing it for months to come. Also for real they do a lot of great physical comedy with Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I mean hell, my favorite From game is Lost Kingdoms and my favorite Platinum game is Infinite Space which are ridiculously far genre and tonewise from the games that people tend to mention/remember :v:

I imagine if they had kept making games in those molds I would be happy and a lot of people in this thread would have been deprived of stuff like Metal Gear Rising: Revengence or Bloodborne.