Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
List has been edited to account for finished 13 Sentinels. Sorry FF7R, you're getting bumped off my top ten.

#11: Final Fantasy VII Remake

It turns out the best 4 hours of FF7 can support ten times that length. The opening section of the original was honestly so jam-packed full of stuff that making it bigger and giving it room to breath makes something even better. Barrett in particular goes from kind of forgettable to being the best character without even needing to be rewritten--he just needed more lines. I'm not a fan of all of the story changes but they definitely didn't ruin it. Square is coming off a long period of being pretty mediocre but they seem to have finally righted the ship.

#10: Satisfactory

Pictured: a factory beneath the world

Do you like playing games with a calculator in one hand and a sheet of paper in the other? Do you like spending 3 hours building only to realize you did your calculations slightly wrong and it all needs to be fixed? Do you enjoy knowing you'll spend ten hours building something only to hate it the very next play session? Boy do I have the game for you!!! This is unironic. Satisfactory is a very good game for turning calculations into reality. Still in early access so it might end up on my list again next year.

#9: Final Fantasy XIV (5.x patch series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwE_08Fw4w0

While it hasn't yet reached the heights of the main Shadowbringers story, the follow-ons have been very good, and the raiding has been fun. As of writing this post, I haven't yet even experienced everything in 5.4 yet, which came out yesterday.

#8: AI: The Somnium Files

The best narrative-driven story about an amnesiac detective I've ever played. Yes, this is a callout of your favorite game, which is not on this list despite me playing it this year. If only we could all have a sassy robot inside our eye sockets.

#7: 13 Sentinels

I like this game a little bit less than the rest of the thread, where it's topping lots of people's lists. It's still really good though. I liken it to untangling a bunch of christmas lights. At first you might not even really be aware of what you have--everything's so knotted up it's impossible to tell which strings connect to each other and which are merely the same type of light, but two different strings. You have trouble even finding a place to begin, as the ends of the wires could be in the middle of the tangle. But you do what you can, undoing loops and pulling ends through knots, and slowly but surely make progress. At some point, you start to get an idea of what the overall picture is, but still have a bit of work to do to fully get there. And at the end you light up your christmas tree. The story of 13S is the same way, except with giant robots and also untangling the knot is more fun than looking at the tree.

#6: Atelier Totori (replay)

This is known in the business as "foreshadowing"

I posted this in my 2018 goty:

cheetah7071 posted:

This one manages to have a story which is simultaneously about not very much (like all Ateliers its very low stakes) while simultaneously packing a punch in the delivery. The relationship between Totori and her sister is the realest depiction of family I've seen in a video game in a long time. I liked almost every character. This was still early enough in the Atelier franchise that there's a bunch of gameplay improvements they hadn't hit upon yet but the overall design of the gameflow worked well and the writing carried it beautifully.

That's all still true. It fell a few places just by virtue of being a replay but it's still real good.

#5: Final Fantasy VII (replay)

I played this right after FF7R, like I'm sure many people did. It still mostly holds up--there's some jank but the gameplay is pretty inoffensive and the story is the same one you fell in love with as a kid. I have no nostalgic attachment to this game--this is my second play, but my first was only a few years ago. There are some legitimately powerful, moving moments in this game. In my memory, the opening section, which FF7R covers, was the best part, but I now think it's only second best, after the segment from roughly temple of the ancients through northern crater. This story has a ton of cool stuff and great moments completely outside of the pieces that have pierced the public zeitgeist. If you like old RPGs and you somehow still haven't played it, give it a shot.

#4: Atelier Meruru (replay)

https://twitter.com/c7071screenshot/status/1326427904109056000

From the 2019 goty thread:

cheetah7071 posted:

This game is almost the perfect Atelier. An engaging cast, a time limit that makes you think but is ultimately not that bad, a crafting system that's fun to master (and with postgame superbosses to reward you mastering it), along with the return of nearly every popular character from the previous two games to let you see how they've grown. This game is the pinnacle of bright, happy JRPGs.

All of that is still true, but again, it being a replay of a game I played relatively recently bumps it down a bit. In particular, I really enjoyed gearing up for the superbosses the first time but I was too good at it this time and just crushed them effortlessly.

#3: Final Fantasy VIII (replay)

After replaying FF7, I replayed FF8. Like FF7, I don't have nostalgia for this one, as my first play was when it came out on Steam. I am the exact target audience for this game. I love all the dumb teenage idiots it's about. I love disentangling the mess of a story and its themes. I love snapping the game over my knee and feeling like I'm pulling wool over the dev's eyes (even though in reality everything I'm doing is within the bounds of expected stuff). All of your criticisms of the game are right, but all of them are things I love about it.

#2: Atelier Ayesha (replay)

From 2018 goty thread:

cheetah7071 posted:

And here we are, Atelier of the year. This game feels like a "fixed" Totori, which was already my number 3 game. The game flows better, fixes a few clunky bits of design, has better quality of life, and otherwise continues the extremely strong writing set by Totori. The relationship between Ayesha and her sort of teacher Keithgriff is one of my favorite bits of writing. The game is serious when it needs to be, comedic when it needs to be, and manages to cram more emotional weight into itself than almost any other game I've ever played, all while just being the story of a young woman wandering around learning alchemy. A true masterpiece that all JRPG fans should give a try.

Still true, and still my favorite video game of all time, but sometimes the magic isn't as strong the second time, and it misses out the top spot on a replay. I did get to experience some content I missed the first time though, and it was pretty good content.

#1: Ocarina of Time Randomizer

cheetah7071 posted:

Were you an N64 child? Do you remember where all the secrets are in OoT because you played it obsessively? Boy do I have the romhack for you! A fun remix on a classic game that allows you to enjoy it again almost as if it were new to you.

cheetah7071 posted:

This was on my list last year and it's here again this year. A fresh way to enjoy an old classic, especially if you are the right age to have obsessively played OoT as a child, like I am. Over the past few months I've been participating in goon weekly seeds and feel like I'm halfway decent at it (I'm not). Come join us! Even if your first seed takes 8 hours or more, it's more fun doing the same seeds as other people so you can talk about it.

On my top ten for the third year running, and finally claiming the top spot. Recently the community has shifted a bit to start doing new settings which have really shaken things up and made them fresh again. I don't know if it'll be the top spot again, but I can almost guarantee this will be on my 2021 top ten. Compared to other item randomizers I've tried, I really like that OoT has what I think of as "anchors"--locations that have high value almost no matter what, meaning they give shape to your route through a seed more than just "which place that I can go to has the most stuff". Routing this game is a joy, and while I'll never be great at it, movement tech is pretty cool too.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A romhack of a game from 1998, which I've been playing long enough that it's in both of my previous goty threads, is my top game this year

if you played it in 2020 and you liked it more than all but nine other games you played this year, it belongs on your list.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gonna have to edit 13S into my top ten now that I've finished it. Not sure where it'll go, though I'm pretty sure it won't be top.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I edited my list to account for finishing 13 Sentinels. Sorry FF7R, you're getting bumped to number 11. It's a very competitive year so there's no shame in being a runner up.

cheetah7071 posted:

#7: 13 Sentinels

I like this game a little bit less than the rest of the thread, where it's topping lots of people's lists. It's still really good though. I liken it to untangling a bunch of christmas lights. At first you might not even really be aware of what you have--everything's so knotted up it's impossible to tell which strings connect to each other and which are merely the same type of light, but two different strings. You have trouble even finding a place to begin, as the ends of the wires could be in the middle of the tangle. But you do what you can, undoing loops and pulling ends through knots, and slowly but surely make progress. At some point, you start to get an idea of what the overall picture is, but still have a bit of work to do to fully get there. And at the end you light up your christmas tree. The story of 13S is the same way, except with giant robots and also untangling the knot is more fun than looking at the tree.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The hard part is tracking down games you played on PC without a launcher. Console games and PC games with launchers aren't too difficult.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I first played FF7 when it came out on steam lol

I think you perhaps might just not like anime

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What a pleasant person you are

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you finish the game in 2021 and it's real good, put it on your 2021 list imo. My 2019 goty was a game I started december 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Shantae and the Seven Sirens isn't Metroid, it's Zelda

You alternate between being given plot directions and doing dungeons, just like Zelda

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dark Souls' contribution to mainstream gaming was the idea that it's okay to have challenges where players shouldn't expect to complete them on the first try. That really had fallen out of the mainstream for a while.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know anything about Magic The Gathering but it's funny how every list it's on is like "i played this for 300 hours it is the absolute worst"

That's not just the video game, the physical card game is the same way

magic sucks but it also sucks you in, true zen comes from escaping magic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

I would probably enjoy a thread where people just post lists of their favorite games of all time and write however much they feel like about why they love the games they love. I just like reading people gushing about the things they like. There'd be no end-of-thread ranking or voting or anything like that, just a place specifically to come rant about your favorite games ever.

I'd post in it

The second best part of having a star by your name is that when you make a cool thread you can abuse your power and pin it for visibility lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Surely VG should just make a distinct golden trophy of a different video game thing for each game. This is a reasonable use of his time, I believe.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Where's the posts VG

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
VG what's the highest scoring atelier I know they're all below 60 it won't be a spoiler

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VideoGames posted:

Atelier Meruru with 14 points. :)

thank you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDV7V54ziP0

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Andrast posted:

I wonder what game has the highest average

probably something that was only on one list right?

yeah there's definitely some games that were somebody's number 1 and not on any other lists, or only on one other list.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I never heard of it but I looked at the steam page and it looks cool so I wishlisted it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
turn-based is so much better than rtwp and actual D&D is turn-based so I'll be forever mystified that all the old D&D games are rtwp and nobody ever sat down and said "wait this sucks" until pretty recently

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Prey was pretty good

didn't come anywhere close to my top ten but I liked it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Botw2 is gonna be dope

gonna be real delayed because when they dropped the trailer everyone was like "cool can we play as the neat short-haired zelda" and they went "gently caress we gotta remake the game from scratch now"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Satisfactory was on my top ten this year and it'll be back when I replay it after it's out of early access

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

how do you deal with worker suicides in these factory games

the only worker is you they're entirely automated factories

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
three houses is fun to play but it gives you a brain disease that makes you participate in absolutely awful discourse

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
*clears throat*

star bores

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
*clears throat*

more like persona BORE

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh yeah I was gonna play control

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

Bore Of The WEak

the only thing boring and weak is this attempt at a burn

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
more like kentucky route zero out of ten!!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My one big complaint about Outer Wilds is that I suck absolute poo poo at the realistic space flight physics

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
see you all in the number one spot this year when 6.0 comes out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They're not directly comparable imo because ffxiv received a number of content updates in 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

wait i dont get it why couldnt bloodborne just have best from game of 2020

it's a joke award op

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I didn't expect number one but I did expect number two. Very surprising. If it's beaten by numbers three and two by a lot I'll be even more surprised.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can only think of two games that haven't shown up yet so I'm definitely forgetting something

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

Hesitation is defeat

this doesn't mean anything to me so it's probably something I didn't play

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Entenzahn posted:

I think 13 sentinels had a very strong start but at some point it stopped getting mentioned at all. I picked it up because of the thread though!

yeah 13S would have won for sure if the thread had been abruptly closed a week early. All the 13S likers voted early.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
welp there's the one I forgot, I know the last two and just have to guess the order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
well at this point #1 shouldn't surprise anyone. Congratulations