Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Honorable Mentions:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Android/iOS)
This is a surprisingly good port. Cheap too!

World of Warcraft (PC)

I've never loved and hated a game more. At this point I like it more as a comfort game even if it can be trash for so many different reasons.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Re:Mind (XBONE)

Kingdom Hearts 3 was my GOTY last year and I'd make this GOTY this year if it wasn't DLC. It is still #1 in my heart, though.

Dishonorable Mentions:

Final Fantasy 3 (PSP)

I first played this game as a kid when it came over here on the DS. Eventually I struggled my way through to the very very bad final dungeon. Made my way through to the final boss and died. Now, FF3 does not have save points. The only place you can save is the world map. When I loaded my save and was faced with this reality I put it down and never played it again until this year. It's still just as bad.

#10 Bravely Default (3DS

Now here is an RPG featuring four young people bound together by fate featuring turn based combat and a robust class changing system. It's everything FF3 should have been and more.

#9 Doom Eternal (PC)

What I liked most about the writing in its predecessor is your character would ignore it and leave before anyone had a chance to say anything. This game tries to replicate that except its hallways are too long so I have to hear weird rear end WH40K fan fic. So very much fun to play tho.

#8 Yakuza Kiwami

The yakuza series is a forum favorite - and for good reason. My first foray into the series did not disappoint. While Kiryu feels like a blank slate protagonist at first over time you start to connect with his character and the gritty, if hilarious streets of Kamurocho. I did not expect to like the characters as much as I did. You become attached to them and in a way your desires as a viewer of this story become aligned with Kiryu's. I suppose then, in a way Kiryu is the opposite of a blank slate protagonist. Instead of him morphing into a version of you, you become a version of him.

#7 Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix Randomizer (PC)

Randomizers are fun, but I feel they become great when they transform the base game into another game entirely. This mod smashes the game wide open and turns it into a treasure hunt for three key items. Alongside typical randomizer fare this makes for an exciting new way to enjoy Kingdom Hearts 2.

#6 Devil May Cry V (XBONE)

I've tried getting into the series before, but I could never quite grok the combat. I did much better in this outing but it was still a lot of getting my rear end kicked. I was getting it but any break longer than a few days made it harder to get back in. But when i got it I got it and it felt so good. Despite my troubles I can safely say that this game kicks rear end.

#5 AI: The Somnium Files (PC)

AI follows in the tradition of Uchikoshi's (Director and Writer) other games by being weird is gently caress, kinda horny, and too compelling to put down. One thing this game handles masterfully is it's ability to keep players in the dark as long as possible. There were so many questions I had about things set up in the first five minutes that don't get answered until the very end. Exploration is a real treat. So many different useless things to click on five times for funny dialogue.

#4 Dangan Ronpa v3 Killing Harmony (PC)

Back to back anime nonsense baby! Twists and turns abound and a mind gently caress ending. It's Dangan Ronpa alright. This is the first game of the series that I played, rather than follow an LP for, and boy howdy do screenshots not do this series justice. Out of all my games on the top ten this game certainly has the most style. It's unfortunate that AI was listed first. So much of what I said could also apply to this game. Spike Chunsoft certainly likes its auteur-led investigation based VNs

#3 Bloodstained Ritual of the Night (XBONE)

The final form of the Igavania games. You can see the parts of so many of the Castlevania games in this and it polishes them to a beautiful shine. There was some hesitation when I first began. I was worried it would be too bloated with all these different aspects but it blends them together beautifully and truly making the systems it borrows from its own. If this goes to mobile I might never play another Castlevania game again.

#2 Hollow Knight (PC)

This was the first game I played this year and I thought it would be my #1 with a bullet. Hollow Knight is fantastic and easily my #1 metroidvania. It's haunting atmosphere, it's gorgeous design, it's tight gameplay, It's music. There is too much to love. It's hard not to make a comparison to Dark Souls here. It takes a lot of atmospheric and storytelling cues, and some mechanical ones too. So like Dark Souls after the first time I beat I looked up what exactly the story was supposed to be. While those videos were great at explaining the lore it also showed me that there was a ton of content I had missed. I had essentially missed half the game. Rather than continuing I started a new file and that when everything clicked. Once you grasp how to interact with your enemies you can become almost unstoppable. I tore through the rest of the game enjoying every second of it. Hollow Knight is just so dang delightful.

#1 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U)

https://i.imgur.com/MgT2Ko5.mp4

Growing up my favorite game was Ocarina of Time. I felt so small and that world felt so large. I would get lost in Hyrule Field. I spent hours swimming in Lake Hylia. I would fantasize exactly what kind of adventure Link was having. The games plot was so basic, yet its world so real you could really make a connection. There are only a handful of games I can say that about and all of them I played when I was very young. To say Breath of the Wild recaptures that essence would be an understatement. Even from the very first moments I knew I was playing something special. The Great Plateau is a fantastic starting area as it gives you a sense of the challenges you'll face and the creative ways to solve them. One thing it does not prepare you for is the sheer scale of the world. Your first task is to go to a nearby village. Simply getting there is the challenge and it's unlike anything in Zelda before. I loved it. I loved every second of trudging along on foot across the entire world for the fast travel points. I loved the shrines. I loved the Dungeons. I loved the characters. I loved the look. I loved the enemies. God dammit I even love the weapon durability. A few Korok seeds later and my problem became I had too many weapons. Besides nothing feels as good as seeing an enemy get oneshot by you throwing a broadsword at them so hard it breaks. I literally only have one negative thing to say about the game and that is I don't like that you can only access the motorcycle dlc AFTER doing everything worth doing. Riding around Hyrule in style isn't as cool if you have nowhere to go.

Darkoni fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

You think this'd be enjoyable if I essentially haven't played nor watched the previous two?

I played a bit of the first one long long ago and kinda liked it (though it also had some rough edges). I also really enjoyed Somnium Files so more games of this nature are A-OK by me.

But if it leans too heavy on prior knowledge of the series then I'm fine doing other things.

Technically, no. It is sorta self contained from the other games, but you will be spoiled on some of the bigger twists of its predecessors.

YMMV but I recommend to at least watch/read an LP. If nothing else than to get a feel for world and tone. It gets a bit uncomfortable at times, in a blood and guts kinda way and 3 certainly wants to stand out from the others.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

All this talk of FF7R and 13S makes me bummed i don't have a playstation. Ah well. Ill wait five years when it's all dirt cheap or on pc

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

One thing i forgot to mention in my Dangan Ronpa V3 blurb. It has one the of hardest hitting moments ive experienced in gaming. It still stings a lil when i think about it! I really ought to start taking notes again; maybe i won't forget to add stuff like this.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

Oh hey this today. I'm loving it, VG!

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

BotW and Ai for me.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

VideoGames posted:

We have 20 to go!

Woo!

VideoGames posted:

Bowsies still to make an appearance too :D

:f5:

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

Gosh P5 is such a stylish game. I really want to play it again with Royal.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Wow I’m legit shocked that this is so low!

Rarity posted:

drat I really thought TLOU2 would be higher :stare:

Do these posters mean the same thing or the opposite?

We'll never know.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

wuggles posted:

Unionize!

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

That's a little unexpected. I had hardly heard a whimper about the game after it came out. Guess I don't pay enough attention to the PlayStation ecosystem

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

I cheated and looked at the first post but I'm pretty sure I know what's coming

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

More like Yuckuza: Like a Badgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

Fantastic work VeeGees. Thanks for doing this.

Now that it is over i can come clean. Ace Combat 7 was my true #10 but going from the FF3 dishonorable mention to #10 Bravely Default was too clean.