Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It was kind of a struggle coming up with 10 games that came out this year that I wanted to rank! I know they didn't have to come out this year, but I felt I should limit it to games that at least received major content updates (which I really just did for the sake of including one game).

Dishonorable mention to Doom Eternal, which while decently fun in the midgame turned into an interminable chore, particularly in the final boss fights.

Stuff I wanted to play but didn't: Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Demon's Souls

10: Kingdom Hearts 3: Re Mind

I forgot this technically came out this year! Anyway, I wasn't the biggest fan of the original release of KH3, but Re:Mind changes the combat enough to actually make the concept of doing the thirteen (actually fourteen) new ultra-hard boss fights somewhat bearable. Still not as fun as Kingdom Hearts 2, but enjoyable nevertheless.

9: Ghost of Tsushima

Didn't play a ton of this. It doesn't resonate with me super hard and is honestly pretty forgettable, but it's beautiful and nails the aesthetic. It's nice to just be a samurai for an hour, y'know?

8: Blaseball

Only got into this about two seasons before the Grand Siesta, but there's something so loving fun about the absurdist logic and rules underpinning this browser game with no actual direct means of input. We killed God, y'all.

7: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV

I got maybe a third of the way through this before I got pulled away by other stuff, but after playing the last three of these I'm weirdly invested in this corny, terminally anime story. I have serious problems with this series' storytelling, particularly the lack of real dramatic weight to... most anything, but the characters are fun enough and I'm excited to get back to it.

6: Persona 5 Royal

Really expected this to be at least two spots higher, but I really loved everything from this point on. I've been exposed to more Persona 5 than is recommended for human consumption, so I know from experience the highs of this rerelease (the new story content, the excellent gameplay additions, the new music, pretty much everything to do with Akechi) and the lows (the smaller changes to dungeons and boss fights are... mixed in terms of quality, and there's far fewer changes to the game overall than one would like). The game is still really solid despite those complaints though, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

5: Final Fantasy VII Remake

So... as someone who's always wanted to play the original FFVII but has been scared off by the bad translation, this game seemed like it existed to rectify that. But it ultimately swerves in an incredibly fascinating way in one of the boldest choices of the year. I loved that decision, to flip everything on its head and really examine what the role of this game even is, but it wouldn't be this high on this list if that's all it had going for it, because the game's just really solid. It's fun and true to the original while also being its own entity, and I really dig it.

4: Hades

Just a hell of a roguelike. When it's not turning the very concept of its genre on its head by utilizing the conceits to tell its story, it's just really loving fun. I didn't play as much as I would have liked, but this is probably my new Binding of Isaac gold standard for roguelikes.

3: The Last of Us Part II

I really really love this game's story. I got spoiled heavily on this game and partially due to that the first half honestly wasn't grabbing me super hard, but the second half brought me back in from deep doubt. I love it when games recontextualize the player's actions like this game does in spades. I've never quite understood the common complaint about this series that it's violent while condemning violence, because the series has always been to me about characters who make the wrong decisions. It's not condemning you, it wants you to condemn the player character. I didn't find it to be overly bleak either, just less... balanced than the original game. It's still not a perfect story, the treatment of a few characters bothers me a bit, but I really loved it, even though I'm hesitant to play it again.

2: Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

The 5.3 patch (particularly the trial) was one of the best things I played this year. So loving good. I also joined a static for raiding this year, meaning this game has successfully consumed even more of my time. Love this game.

1: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

All right, you guys successfully peer pressured me into putting this game at number 1, you happy? I kid, but this game is really incredible. I've got some minor issues with a few character beats and while it wasn't strictly the best narrative this year, it was the most impressive story. The journey to puzzle out just what the gently caress is almost reminiscent of Return of the Obra Dinn in a way, watching pieces fall into place and having your mind blown into pieces by every new chapter. loving fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fridge corn posted:

Why would FF7s translation scare you off?

It's not good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uncharted 4's story is really loving good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Entenzahn posted:

any game of the anything list that includes the year 2017 but not cuphead is null, void, an embarrassement

Not even the best game that came out that year

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

more like shitman poo! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ill fite u

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

#4 is the true #1

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think I know what the top three are and one of them is very surprising to me :O

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

Hesitation is defeat

This is not the game I am thinking of

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I WAS RIGHT, IT WAS YAKUZA

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My guess was Yakuza #3, FFVIIR #2, Hades #1

We'll see.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am a prophet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New Super Metis posted:

Also this is my list of recommendations, I will probably remember more later but I will post it now anyway:

List of “figured it out!” media
This is a list of media that provokes a dawning feeling of realisation as you understand what’s going on. They tend to encourage you, the reader/viewer/player, to actively figure things out, make connections, and occasionally choose the order in which you experience events.
I lost an older version of this list so I think there are some I’ve forgotten! This is what I can remember though:
  • Outer Wilds [video game]
  • Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang [short story] (also Arrival [film])
  • Her Story [video game]
  • Sleep No More [immersive play]
  • Fish and Cat [film]
  • Annihilation [novel]
  • Return of the Obra Dinn [video game]
  • Basically every Uchikoshi game ever made [video games]
  • 13 Sentinels