Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

It's a climbing, gliding, puzzle-solving open world game! No, it's not Breath of the Wild.
It's a Greek God-themed game! No, it's not Hades.
It's a Ubisoft open world game released in Q4 2020! No, it's not Watch Dogs: Legion or Assassin's Creed: Valhalla.

What is Immortals: Fenyx Rising?
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/immortals-fenyx-rising
It's a light-hearted open world adventure game with clear influences from Breath of the Wild and rear end Creed. You play as Fenyx, a lowly Greek soldier shipwrecked on the island of the Gods except the evil mustache-twirling Typhon has wrecked havoc on the island, separating the gods from their power and releasing lots of cool mythological monsters for you to beat up. The story is narrated by Zeus and Prometheus and I've found it to be pretty funny, though some reviewers hated the humor.

What platforms is it on?
PC, PS4, PS5, Stadia, Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series X. It's also available as part of a Ubisoft+ subscription which you can play through Amazon Luna as well.

Is it actually good though?
Yes, I think so! Critics mostly seem to agree: https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-series-x/immortals-fenyx-rising?ref=hp. I've put about 10 hours into it. It's got a great mix of exploring, fighting, and puzzle-solving that'll scratch that Breath of the Wild itch.

Much like Breath of the Wild, many of the puzzles are physics-based and challenge you to use your abilities in new ways. The puzzles have mostly been in the not too easy, not too hard sweet spot for me. I love the Odysseus bow challenges in particular where you have to shoot an arrow through a series of rings to hit a target at the end (you can fire your arrows in slow-motion and control their movement after firing). Here's a gif I made of one of the Odysseus challenges:

The UI is by default the generic open world game UI but is completely customizable. You can turn off pretty much everything which I immediately did except for health bars and stamina. You can choose exactly which UI elements you want on or off which is awesome. Want to play with no UI at all? You can do that too!

There's a ton of abilities to unlock and upgrade. New gear is pretty common though it won't make old gear obsolete. Instead each piece of gear has different perks such as a bonus to damage when flying, increased stamina, or more damage for combo finishers. If you get a sweet new piece of gear but it's ugly, you can customize it and make it look like any other piece of gear you've acquired at any time from the equipment menu.

Finally, I am really enjoying the sense of humor. It's clear that the people making it were having fun and that's reflected in everything from the animation to the voice acting.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Reserved for possible future guides/useful links/screenshots.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Great game mechanically but yeah, I gotta agree with a lot of the reviews that the writing is Borderland-if-it-were-rated T-levels of cringe and I find myself skipping through the cutscenes more often than not.

It's beautiful, dungeons are a hoot, combat is flashy, exploration is rewarding, and the gear variety seems alright so far after like 4 or 5 hours of playing.

I'm also a sucker for all games with flight abilities and animal friends. :3:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am playing this on PS5 and I'm not ashamed to admit that greek mythology framed as a conversation between two dads telling cringeworthy dad jokes is extremely my jam.

I was down on the combat until I got a bit gudder and unlocked some of the combat abilities - mainly the dash/stun. I also like how executing a perfect dodge freezes the enemy for a couple seconds.

I really need to boost my stamina because I can't fly very far yet. thinking of exploring all four realms just to grab all the stamina and health boosts before doing more quests.

which brings me to my biggest complaint with the game by far: having to scan the map in Far Sight mode to find map markers. this is just the dumbest and most tedious thing. I would legit buy a $5 DLC that unlocks every map marker in the game, just save me from having to right-stick around until I find just the right spot hundreds of times.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Deakul posted:

Great game mechanically but yeah, I gotta agree with a lot of the reviews that the writing is Borderland-if-it-were-rated T-levels of cringe and I find myself skipping through the cutscenes more often than not.

I totally get it. I was streaming on Discord for like 5-6 friends last night and half thought it was hilarious in that dad jokes/wholesome cringe sort of way, 1-2 were ambivalent, and 2 people were stopping the stream everytime I entered a cutscene because they couldn't take the humor.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

which brings me to my biggest complaint with the game by far: having to scan the map in Far Sight mode to find map markers. this is just the dumbest and most tedious thing. I would legit buy a $5 DLC that unlocks every map marker in the game, just save me from having to right-stick around until I find just the right spot hundreds of times.

Yeah this is annoying. Pixel hunting for map markers is tedious at best and annoying most of the time. I actually just haven't been doing it and just stumbling across things like I would in BotW. It works fine.

Also people should post their Fenyxes! Here's mine:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rosalind posted:

Yeah this is annoying. Pixel hunting for map markers is tedious at best and annoying most of the time. I actually just haven't been doing it and just stumbling across things like I would in BotW. It works fine.

I don't usually play open world games, is requiring this common? in division 1-2 the markers just showed up as soon as you entered a zone.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I don't usually play open world games, is requiring this common? in division 1-2 the markers just showed up as soon as you entered a zone.

I definitely remember it being a big thing in rear end Creed Odyssey--marking every treasure chest and enemy using your bird vision.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You can definitely tell that Fenyx is canonically a chick cause drat the male looks like the most Team America dork I've ever seen.

But here's mine, man, I keep finding a bunch of the body armor and no head gear.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
This might be my favorite Ubisoft game in years. It's clear the developers were having a ton of fun with it. Even the storytelling, which comes off as heavy handed and trying too hard a lot of the time, has turned into an endearing story of learning to believe in yourself and work to improve your shortcomings. It's clearly trying for pixar-does-a-morning-cartoon, which is a happy break from all the grimdark stuff I've been playing.

Plus I've yet to have a single crash on PC, and all the animations and AI seem to be working without visible issues, which is quite the change coming right off beating AC:Valhalla.

Deakul posted:

man, I keep finding a bunch of the body armor and no head gear.

I really like how they do the armor unlocking. There's actually four instances of every item in the game around the world, every time you find it after the first unlocks a new color scheme. It's a really nice way of opening up a wide variety of perks to most players while still rewarding completionism.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 6, 2020

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
I appreciate this game getting lost with all of the major releases and end-of-year lists coming out, but this is definitely a gem.

It has the open world aspect of Assassin's Creed, but with a ton more focus on the puzzles. The sense of humor is delightful (loved the fake credit sequence) as well. The biggest takeaway is assuming the game might be easy based on the cartoony art style, when even in the first area past the tutorial, there are plenty of challenges in solving the dungeons.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I just started playing this, I'm already scouring the map for pomegranites and shinies. So far it's a super solid game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Just downloaded it yesterday. So far it looks incredibly sweet. According to my graphic card program, I am getting 240 fps on the highest settings, which sounds well optimized.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
This game is dope. I hope it sells well.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
Honestly, this game is just plain charming. It's a legit delight to see Fenyx fangirling over the gods, and I realized that I missed Zeus and Prometheus' Statler and Waldorf routine when I was between plot points. I've been gearing for perfect dodge/parry because even when I outlevel some of the enemies, it feels great nailing the timing and walking away from a fight untouched.

If you use Prime Gaming, they've got a cosmetic set up as a free reward. Recolor of the steampunk armor, Phospher, and wings, and a new horse.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So far, this game evokes some feelings of 90s Rare games. It's really cartoony, but that is charming. I like how Fenyx is a complete mythology geek, and how much excitement she gets from all of this.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Well, you guys have sold me. I was thinking about getting this one anyway to scratch the BotW itch, but it sounds like it doesn't just do that but also stands on its own merits. Looking forward to it. (edit: all else being equal I'd usually opt for the Switch version, but from what I'm reading this game comes off pretty sub-optimal there, so it sounds like I should go for PC? Anyone playing the Switch version want to tell me otherwise?)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 10, 2020

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

cant cook creole bream posted:

So far, this game evokes some feelings of 90s Rare games. It's really cartoony, but that is charming. I like how Fenyx is a complete mythology geek, and how much excitement she gets from all of this.

Even though I took Latin in high school 100 years ago, I loved that some of the quests are based on 'real' mythology. One example is Baucis and Philemon, an elderly couple who asked Zeus to not let one die before the other. One other, don't Google him if you don't want to be very slightly spoiled, is the surprising boss fight against Alectryon.

Last, I love that I can figure out MOST of these puzzles on my own and feel good about having done so. They are challenging without feeling unfairly so.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Well, I purchased and installed this, and after a dozen attempts to get it to run on my system, updating drivers, trying fixes found online, etc., I'm giving up and getting a refund. Hopefully at some point it will be patched up, or maybe I'll give it another shot next time I rebuild (current system is well over the required specs, so no issues there), or perhaps go for a console version, but that's disappointing.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Gotta say, the combat in this game is really solid and fun for a Ubisoft title

Plays really well on the PS5 too

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

how are people going about knocking this game down?

I've finished Aphrodite's story, but there's still ~6-8 vaults in her area I haven't completely finished, and a small handful of guarded or epic chests I haven't opened.

at first my plan was to completely finish Aphrodite's area before moving on, but some of the vaults are just no fun.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

I've finished Aphrodite's story, but there's still ~6-8 vaults in her area I haven't completely finished, and a small handful of guarded or epic chests I haven't opened.

at first my plan was to completely finish Aphrodite's area before moving on, but some of the vaults are just no fun.

Total completionist here. I knocked out as much as I could in Aphrodite's area, and yeah that meant doing a couple of vaults over to get the chests that I missed. I just finished it all, or at least as much as I could find, including the fresco challenges and it looks like that opens up most of the rest of the world. I started in Ares' area just now, but may go somewhere else instead.

Oh, and I totally cheated on the lyres though, I'm too lazy to write down memory puzzle answers and just knocked them out as soon as I found the big lyre.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Oh, and I totally cheated on the lyres though, I'm too lazy to write down memory puzzle answers and just knocked them out as soon as I found the big lyre.

the lyres I did legit, but I cheated on the frescoes.

I went clockwise around the map and scouted Athena's area next, and it feels much much emptier than Aphrodite's.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I completed Aphrodite's whole area, before bothering to do her quests. After I did that, I started wildly oscillating between all other areas and completing things in weird orders. That's really fun.

Some of those vaults kinda sucked, but on principle, I try to cheese as much as I possible can in there. If I can get unreasonable heights with Ares spear and skip whole parts with that statue ability, I totally do that. Even if the standard solution is simpler. Trying to break those puzzles apart scratches an itch I hadn't felt since Talos Principle, where that is actually required. (Incidentally, Talos is a small boss in the game.)

Also, I think it helps to have a thorough look when entering vaults so you wont miss any chests on the first go round.

There are so many great outfits and weapon styles in this game, that I keep switching around. I am a big fan of the chimera armor and the harpy armor because they are so ridiculously colorful and that purple matches well with the dark pink pixie cut my character uses.
Actually let me make some pics.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Also people should post their Fenyxes! Here's mine:

Usually I don't really care for appearance in games, but it's quite fun here. It also really helps that Ubisoft let's you customize the appearances separately from the stats. That was also really great in AC: Odyssee.

Here are some shots of my usual outfits ordered by action-shotiness.
(Spoilered just in case someone wants to first see that stuff themselves.)

Love those gloves!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 13, 2020

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah this is way better than Legion or Valhalla and therefore is a shame it's gonna sell like 1/10th the copies and never get a sequel

FuckLacedFusillade
Jan 21, 2005
Legendary Dark Knight
I’m glad this game has a thread now, I was about to make one myself because this game deserves way more attention.

One thing I’d like to mention is the game actually has a demo so you can see what it’s like and whether the humour appeals to you. If you complete the demo and link your Ubisoft account you even unlock an exclusive armour skin in the game!

The demo is exclusive to Stadia though.

lmao

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

The Stadia demo is what sold me on the game. It actually ran fairly smoothly on my sometimes inconsistent internet so I was rather impressed. I still want to own my games and not be subject to Google's whims in terms of keeping the service alive, but as a demo delivery system Stadia is pretty good.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Name's so goofy, you think there's a colon in it, and there's not. I'm kinda wanting to kick it around, but I also have way too drat much to play including another Ubigame to play right now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
This game is fun. Got it on ps4. The one thing I did do is turn the compass off. It helps alleviate some of the ubisoft syndrome and just allows you to explore. I really like the humor and how light-hearted it is.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
How well does it run on the switch?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Caidin posted:

How well does it run on the switch?

I'm playing on PC but here's a Kotaku article examining the Switch performance: https://kotaku.com/the-switch-version-of-immortals-fenyx-rising-tries-rea-1845777874

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Just... why? :cripes:

Selane
May 19, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

I completed Aphrodite's whole area, before bothering to do her quests. After I did that, I started wildly oscillating between all other areas and completing things in weird orders. That's really fun.
That's exactly what I'm doing, I mainly just wanted to see what each of the gods got turned into. :v:

quote:

Some of those vaults kinda sucked, but on principle, I try to cheese as much as I possible can in there. If I can get unreasonable heights with Ares spear and skip whole parts with that statue ability, I totally do that. Even if the standard solution is simpler. Trying to break those puzzles apart scratches an itch I hadn't felt since Talos Principle, where that is actually required. (Incidentally, Talos is a small boss in the game.)
Again, same with me. If there are multiple feather switches I usually cheese one with the statue but outdoor puzzles I usually do the right way. And I didn't even realize that you could use Ares/Athena abilities as airdashes but man, the Mastering Athena's Charge vault sure as hell beat that into my head. That and Mastering Phosphor's clone were brutal. Only one vault I've found so far that I absolutely couldn't figure out, 'Taking Cerberus for a Walk'.

Anyway, this game owns. The craziest thing I've found so far is some helmet that makes your first hit against an undamaged enemy do +150% damage and stun. You can basically oneshot almost anything from stealth, or instant stun multiple guys with a charged up Ares' Wrath right out of the gate. Also, I'll say this: holy poo poo is Phosphor useful and not a gimmick. It's hard to choose which version to use because there are so many good ones(compare to the god blessings which loving suck, lol).

edit: I don't get why some people get so worked up about the writing. I mean, it's corny, but it's supposed to be. Isn't that better than all the games where the writing is super tryhard but ends up being lame anyway? I dunno, maybe I'm weird. I like the dumb tone though, like how they don't bother explaining all the weird poo poo going on. In Breath of the Wild, with all the techy stuff in the shrines it's like "well the obligatory super-advanced ancient civilization..." whereas in this game they're like "please don't ask where these laser arrays and anti-gravity cubes came from, just roll with it".

Selane fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 18, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought they did answer. "Daedelus did it."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Been enjoying this game quite a lot, more so than I thought I was going to. I'm someone who really didn't care for Breath of the Wild - I found that world, after playing it for some time, to not be all that enjoyable to get around it. It was far too big for how little there was to do and find in it. On top of that, folks compared the narration to be along the lines of Borderlands and that put me off because, again, BL2's Jack seem to be a well-liked character but I found him to be insufferable and nothing he ever said was funny. But 15 hours in and I think I'm playing a different game than some critics? Zeus has a couple interjections that were groaners but they've been mostly silly and benign. Outside that the characters have been really fun and charming. It's a fun world to explore in and all the rewards you get are meaningful. Been enjoying combat too even though I don't have many powers unlocked yet but I can see the ways in which it'll open up more.

There are a few things I don't care for, though.

- There are too many crafting resources. There should be one type of ore for your weapons, equipment, capacity upgrades. The other stuff I can understand because it's for potion crafting, health and stamina. But when it comes to equipment I don't need all those different color ores.
- I feel like eagle vision or whatever, needs a cut-off point. If I'm using it in Aphrodite's area, I shouldn't be picking up stuff in other areas. There are tons of things to do in each area and you can spend so much time in that mode because you're pinging tons of stuff.
- I wish climbing was faster. I'm sorry to say, the speed of climbing is one of the parts of BOTW I didn't like. Immortals has a lot more fun and quick traversal options but climbing is obnoxiously slow, I wish it were faster.
- I wish dodge had i-frames. If I does then the hitboxes for some attacks are ridiculously big.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this game really exposes how much of botw was dependent on atmosphere and tone and brand equity because when you put it in a shiny ubisoft package with brutal video game comedy the seams start to show real quick

i just spent like 10 minutes fighting some legendary bird down to 1/5th of his life who then randomly healed to full health and the obnoxious narrators said to come back when i was leveled up despite the fact i’d effectively beat it

now i am trapped in some dumb shrine where im supposed to use these wooden boxes to climb but i MUST be missing something because surely they didnt mean for me to lift the boxes up using my magic which inevitably smashes them against the edge of the platform im standing on? as though i were somehow going to lift the boxes through me? i think this game might suck

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

There's some sucky shrines for sure, the best thing to do is to skip them if you start to get frustrated. There's a menu option for that. I wasted an hour on stacking four of those wooden crate bastards on top of each other for a shrine chest and in hindsight I wish I hadn't because who cares if you're missing a few optional rewards here and there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is this a good BOTW kock-off, or just a by the numbers thing

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this a good BOTW kock-off, or just a by the numbers thing

It's a good, super colorful and fun game with a lot of mobility.
It doesn't really delve deep into the story, but it really likes introducing you to obscure parts if greek mythology. I really wish it had a codex, where you could look up more about the people and events which are mentioned.

Playing this game feels a bit like beeing in a theme park, because those puzzles are quite close to each other. But that's totally intentional. I remember in ACO I sometimes had to ride for five minutes just to reach some blip on a dead end of the map. And while that environment may have been pretty, that experience kinda sucked.

There's one vault which is the biggest physics bullshit. It's on an northeastern island. You're actually supposed to fling such a giant ball around with the hammer. That interaction felt so inconsistent that the whole vault felt like I am cheesing it in a harder way. In the end, that vault was fun, but it's definitely the hardest. Quite long too.

I am about done with the game. Completed everything I could find on the main island. Just the two mountains remain. I am still finding armor variations which absolutely rock.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Just picked this up on sale and it's definitely handling the Clean the Map of icons kind of gameplay I need at the moment. I really hate the voice acting.