Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

Is there something similar to the Hero’s Path from BoTW in IFR?

Was that was the DLC thing that showed you where you'd already been on the map? I don't think it would really be needed here since the game does the usual Ubisoft map markers for points of interest and they show what you've already completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wow apparently this game not only has cross-gen saves, but cross-platform saves too. I hope that continues with future Ubi games.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rinkles posted:

Wow apparently this game not only has cross-gen saves, but cross-platform saves too. I hope that continues with future Ubi games.

That's the advantage of stuff like Uplay. Ubisoft gets to know your precious game data wherever you go, because all is connected in their digital spiderweb. Apparently Valhalla can do that too.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jimbot posted:

Fenyx is just a better BOTW. It uses its space a whole lot more better than Zelda did. About 10 hours into BOTW the awe had worn out when I realized that there was shitloads of empty space in the game that often lead to one of three things: a shrine, a town or a stable. If you were lucky you'd come across one of the greater faeries. You could find cute little nothing puzzles but they are rarely engaging and the simple combat on top of the weapon degradation system made me not want to engage with it. It's the kind of game that was tailor made for seeing gifs of people use the power system in neat ways that you'd never be able to pull off. Having a denser and more compact world is definitely a boon.

The only thing BOTW has over Fenyx is shield surfing - now that's something more games need to have.

I think they're just different, really. Fenyx's combat is better, not having swords made out of butter is nice, but I don't think I agree that Fenyx uses its space better. I do think it has better verticality, but things like rain and weather not mattering makes it feel very different. I'm not gonna say botw is some survival simulator, but the world feels bigger when you need to bring X to a place in order to explore it, like warm clothes or certain food.

Also not having cooking is a big minus to me. The potions are a bit simple, which works with this game, but it wouldn't really work with botw.

I'm also not sure I agree that it has better puzzles in general, because things like the sliding picture puzzles are really whatever, but it does have more of them, and none of them are gyropuzzles which is actually a big plus.

I think once I finish fenyx I'll probably not really consider playing it again, but I've already done multiple playthroughs of botw and would consider more if the mood took me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I will probably play the Fenyx DLC, but after 100 percenting the game I don't feel a reason to touch it again until that arives.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

cant cook creole bream posted:

I will probably play the Fenyx DLC, but after 100 percenting the game I don't feel a reason to touch it again until that arives.

I took a look at the trophies to decide whether to go for 100% and noticed the 30 combo in the air. How did you do that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I took a look at the trophies to decide whether to go for 100% and noticed the 30 combo in the air. How did you do that?

I'm not 100% I have the trophy (my web trophy list isn't showing the game for whatever reason)*, but I think it shouldn't be too hard with the bird outfit that adds extra combo in air, especially paired with an Ares' Wrath used in a big group of enemies.

https://i.imgur.com/3FsuPCW.mp4

e:* I do have it

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 3, 2021

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
You can't get the cute wild boars or lions as mounts and that is extremely disappointing :-(

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

You can't get the cute wild boars or lions as mounts and that is extremely disappointing :-(

Seriously. At least there's a nice variety of horses, deer, pegasi(pegasuses?), and unicorns. I did find it hilarious that the blue unicorn you can get early on was my favorite out of all 20 something of the mounts. The parrot unicorn on the mountain was a nice second place though.

I was legit mad that the pegasus didn't fly though. It seemed like that should have been a thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some of these later vaults, geez

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Six trophies left. Defeat typhon, get all mounts, cut 100 trees, max out health, potions and gear.

Im guessing most people find amber slow to come by?

Theres also a challenge to get 150 armour pieces. There's 152 in the game which means beating the bitchiest vaults. So gently caress that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

The best thing for this and the other combo achievement is the Brood of Typhon armor which I believe is found in a vault in War Den during the critical path. At level 4 it adds a perk that has a 10% chance of adding +12 the combo meter and I think that percentage can be increased to as high as 40%. You can end up with massive combos after a few sword swings.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

J-Spot posted:

The best thing for this and the other combo achievement is the Brood of Typhon armor which I believe is found in a vault in War Den during the critical path. At level 4 it adds a perk that has a 10% chance of adding +12 the combo meter and I think that percentage can be increased to as high as 40%. You can end up with massive combos after a few sword swings.

Cool thanks. I'll look into this. I think I have part of it already.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

J-Spot posted:

Yeah it's this. In the end i would amass combos in the high hundreds with this. It synergizes really well with multi hit attacks like Athenas spear. Plus that armor looks amazing with wobbly shoulder tounge. Honestly, I didn't even notice that achievement, because I was just wearing that armor for a while in the midgame and must have randomly gotten it from swatting harpies.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Theres also a challenge to get 150 armour pieces. There's 152 in the game which means beating the bitchiest vaults. So gently caress that.
I do sorta wonder if stuff like preorder armor, paid DLC or the weekly stuff you can buy from Hermes factors into th8s count, since those are additional.
I got that challenge just barely. I think I missed a few vaults, I could not find.

But if you're really eager to 100 percent it, you can just complete the armor by popping into new game + and opening the chests which you already got on the first run. I think that gives you a new variation of that armor.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 4, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I called it a day with the achievement for maxing health and potions undone because they are a grind. Left the hardest vaults untouched because who needs that noise?

I know everyone ragged on the control tower formula but I really wish there was a more thorough method of finding and tracking crap on the map. You need a guide to find all the mythical monsters, liuetenants, legends, hidden quests etc.

Excellent game but wont replay or do the dlc since 50 hours is enough for one lifetime. Story is poor and struggles marrying its goofy tone with all depraved myth stuff it keeps bringing up. I think having a meta-narrator works better in a shorter, linear game like the Stanley Parable. Theres less incentive to replay if you get to hear all the french-canadian snark again.

The game's highly flexible accesibility-options are to be commended. Wheras Cyberpunk wont let you buy a haircut in it's highy detailed future.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Got the platinum trophy in this today. At first glance the trophy list seems like it's going to be pretty reasonable, but then it turns out that completing the task board basically means doing everything. Unfortunately that pretty much means using a guide because not everything shows up on your map and you can easily miss the stuff that does. None of the guide's I found for wing locations actually had the complete list so I was pretty convinced that trophy was bugged for awhile. In the end you can really only skip a few vaults and some of the epic/guarded chests.

King's Peak was a neat change of pace for a final area, but I did end up getting lost. I managed to reach the top without doing two out of the three mandatory myth challenges by gratuitously using Apollo's Arrows and stamina potions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man, the Brood of Typhon armor is ridiculous. I regularly get combos over 100.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The gamefaqs guide and map genie are necessary to plat this one. Mercifully you don't have to beat the hardest vaults.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just want to double check: there is no real post game? Once you do the point of no return and finish, it's either reload or NG+?

E: Also, kings peak suuuuuucks.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 7, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Just want to double check: there is no real post game? Once you do the point of no return and finish, it's either reload or NG+?

You are correct on both counts. The only good thing about King's Peak is that after I finished the plot in the area I could just hop off the bigass eagle and glide anywhere I wanted to go.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

The game creates a special save which takes you back to just before you went in the final dungeon but you keep any materials you looted from the chests inside.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Soysaucebeast posted:

You are correct on both counts. The only good thing about King's Peak is that after I finished the plot in the area I could just hop off the bigass eagle and glide anywhere I wanted to go.

Even behind the mountain? Or the far side of the mountain, whatever. That's got anti-stamina zones in the air if I try going back from the throne.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

J-Spot posted:

The game creates a special save which takes you back to just before you went in the final dungeon but you keep any materials you looted from the chests inside.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm actually maxed on crafting stuff already. Just need a horse or two, a couple legendaries, bows and phosphor skins. I'm guessing the legendaries are tied to the skins and the bows...maybe in vaults. I have a 2 hidden trophies, as well. If one of them is Hermes maxed out then I have a bunch to go and it's walkthru time.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Even behind the mountain? Or the far side of the mountain, whatever. That's got anti-stamina zones in the air if I try going back from the throne.

You can chug stamina potions, or coast down. Even if you run out of stamina while you're gliding it won't just drop you to the ground. It's a little tricky, but doable for the most part.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I saw that. I'm actually maxed on crafting stuff already. Just need a horse or two, a couple legendaries, bows and phosphor skins. I'm guessing the legendaries are tied to the skins and the bows...maybe in vaults. I have a 2 hidden trophies, as well. If one of them is Hermes maxed out then I have a bunch to go and it's walkthru time.

If by Hermes maxed out then you mean his job board, then you're right again. One of the phoenix skins you need is at the end of one of those four job chains, and one of the hidden trophies requires all four chains to be completed. You don't have to do the ones that refresh daily (in fact those don't even count toward the goal) but I didn't have too much trouble with the rest of them. You do have to do every drat mythological challenge though, and I needed a guide for the locations of the ones I missed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't even know what half those things on the job board are referring to.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, this game really needs a better way of finding stuff. Still need 1 night chest and 2 or 3 myth challenges. Night chests I can probably look up online as there are only 10. But trying to find the remaining x out 80 myth challenges is a joke. So now I need to wander around vibrating my controller.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, this game really needs a better way of finding stuff. Still need 1 night chest and 2 or 3 myth challenges. Night chests I can probably look up online as there are only 10. But trying to find the remaining x out 80 myth challenges is a joke. So now I need to wander around vibrating my controller.

I spent an hour trying to find the last myth challenge I needed. Every time my controller vibrated I’d get my hopes up only to have them dashed by yet another chest I didn’t need. Finally I just had to go to IGN and review them one by one until I found it. It was even in a place I had already checked just didn’t push the controller on the exact right location.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm actually kinda surprised you don't have to do all the vaults.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And all done. Games was 8.5 until Kings Peak. After, I'd give it a 7/10. Still better than BOTW but suffering from similar problems.

A better final act and a better way of finding points of interest and it's a solid 8 or 9.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

That's disappointing to read. I just started it and was having fun, but I know it's going to be hell when I get to the point where I just need to find one or two more of a thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bender posted:

That's disappointing to read. I just started it and was having fun, but I know it's going to be hell when I get to the point where I just need to find one or two more of a thing.

IGN has a map that you can turn on/off different things. And you can do the same thing in game. It's how I found my last myth challenge.

Anyway, use the IGN map to only show constellation challenges, for instance, then do the same in game and see if that is missing anything. And so on. It's not too bad.

But yeah, the mapping function is the worst part of the game.

FuckLacedFusillade
Jan 21, 2005
Legendary Dark Knight
For the next few days the game has a tie-in quest with the netflix show Blood of Zeus.

The rewards are some extra customisation options and an item that gives you a 5% chance to make lightning strike enemies on hit.

The final part takes place on King’s Peak so I don’t know if it’s possible to do it early on in the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the heads up

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Not sure if anyone's interested, but if you have Amazon Prime they're giving away Fenyx skins. It's the Shivering Fenyx pack, and it's mostly blue metal-y looking skins for Fenyx's wings, Phosphor, and a new mount. But hey, it's free.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm surprised I have no desire to return to the game after taking an extended break. Did the Netflix tie in stuff, and immediately turned off the game. That was my first time in the snowy area, so I still have a bit of content left, but don't feel like it all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The first DLC has been released now. I think I will buy it today. Also there's a demo of the game now, if you want to try it out.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Let me know what you think of the DLC. I haven't had a chance to get it yet, but reddit is making it sound like it's just a bunch of vaults chained together. If it is, I may pass on this one but I'm curious.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm about halfway through and to be honest, the DLC is a bit tedious. There is one hub area without much to do and all gods send you into a couple of places similar to the vaults of Tartarus. Also the game assumes that you play this DLC after the main game. That means all your stats are maxed out. The really annoying part about this is that it implies that all puzzles are designed with this in mind. i.e. you can't really abuse your skills to break those puzzles at all.

Quite stunning visuals though.

Basically, if you want more vault-puzzles this DLC is for you.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I really like this game but that is the exact opposite of what I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i'm not sure what i'd want, but i'm pretty sure not that