Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
I appreciate this game getting lost with all of the major releases and end-of-year lists coming out, but this is definitely a gem.

It has the open world aspect of Assassin's Creed, but with a ton more focus on the puzzles. The sense of humor is delightful (loved the fake credit sequence) as well. The biggest takeaway is assuming the game might be easy based on the cartoony art style, when even in the first area past the tutorial, there are plenty of challenges in solving the dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

cant cook creole bream posted:

So far, this game evokes some feelings of 90s Rare games. It's really cartoony, but that is charming. I like how Fenyx is a complete mythology geek, and how much excitement she gets from all of this.

Even though I took Latin in high school 100 years ago, I loved that some of the quests are based on 'real' mythology. One example is Baucis and Philemon, an elderly couple who asked Zeus to not let one die before the other. One other, don't Google him if you don't want to be very slightly spoiled, is the surprising boss fight against Alectryon.

Last, I love that I can figure out MOST of these puzzles on my own and feel good about having done so. They are challenging without feeling unfairly so.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

ketchup vs catsup posted:

how are people going about knocking this game down?

I've finished Aphrodite's story, but there's still ~6-8 vaults in her area I haven't completely finished, and a small handful of guarded or epic chests I haven't opened.

at first my plan was to completely finish Aphrodite's area before moving on, but some of the vaults are just no fun.

Total completionist here. I knocked out as much as I could in Aphrodite's area, and yeah that meant doing a couple of vaults over to get the chests that I missed. I just finished it all, or at least as much as I could find, including the fresco challenges and it looks like that opens up most of the rest of the world. I started in Ares' area just now, but may go somewhere else instead.

Oh, and I totally cheated on the lyres though, I'm too lazy to write down memory puzzle answers and just knocked them out as soon as I found the big lyre.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

I just finished the game at about 35 hours. I did not complete all of the vaults, but I would imagine about 80% of them. My bow and sword were fully upgraded, I forget my stats on the rest, although my armor was somewhat neglected. I thoroughly loved every aspect of this and scratched the itch that BotW didn't, mostly due to the charm of the characters in this along with weapons that don't break. I will go back to play Valhalla, but know that my thoughts will be lingering with this one for awhile.