Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbi8Jgx1CNE

So, this documentary, released in 2002, is the greatest documentary of all time, especially if you are drinking. It was a kid-friendly look at animals... of the future!

I thought about it because Netflix basically remade it recently as their "Alien Planets" series, but this thing is WAY better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbi8Jgx1CNE&t=2004s
"like the octopus of the 21st century, the swampus has a venomous bite"

You shouldn't skip ahead, because the whole thing owns, but boy you have earned the best TV that ever aired in all time, if you make it to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbi8Jgx1CNE&t=4964s

Features absolutely amazing comments from our narrator, such as "this is not fantasy, but made up by scientists".

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
It’s all octopuses once we get to the future.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lt. Cock posted:

it's literally all octopuses. big props to the swampus.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
runner up: the deadly sharkopath

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I remember these being fun bullshit when they aired.

They were loosely based on the book After Man, if this is your kind of jam. I don't think the book was quite as obsessed with celphalopods though.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
It's a great documentary, but Man After Man by Dougal Dixon is so traumatizing and good as well.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

no thanks op im gonna go watch master and commander: far side of the world

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Oh man, I loved these speculative documentary things back in the day. Personally I preferred Alien Planet myself, based on Wayne Barlowe's Expedition, but Future is Wild is cool too.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

It's a great documentary, but Man After Man by Dougal Dixon is so traumatizing and good as well.

For a take on this that is simultaneously less and somehow more horrifying,:nms: All Tomorrows: A Billion Year Chronicle of the Myriad Species and Varying Fortunes of Man:nms: by C.M. Koseman aka Nemo Ramjet is in a similar vein.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 6, 2020

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm sorry op but the World's Greatest Documentary is actually the yacht time travel/animal harassment crossover special effects extravaganza that is Sea Monsters: A Walking With Dinosaurs Trilogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYM_-1J85Y

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Pick posted:

it's literally all octopuses. big props to the swampus.

Lt. Cock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvfR3XLXPvw

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
squibbon krew

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i have strong nostalgic memories for this but i think if i watch it now the cgi will destroy me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

good also

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

if youre into speculative exobiology and poo poo like man after man i highly recommend checking out Snaiad, a weird but cool exobiology project by a Turkish artist

http://cmkosemen.com/snaiad_web/snduterus.html

quote:

Species: Ammodromeus hesperus
Common Name: Sandrunner.
Size: 3-6 meters long.
Habitat: Interior regions of Thalassia.

This smaller Tromobrachid prowls the hot interior of Thalassia, feeding on Pistonopodid Bounderjaws and snake-eating Mikados. Ammodromeus is a pursuit predator and relentlessly runs after its prey, eventually exhausting it. Although individuals have been observed grouping together to chase down larger prey, this behavior is a simple result of intersecting interests rather than any genuine pack behavior.

These animals have a number of unusual characteristics that make them stand out among Tromobrachids. These include a shaggy coat of enlarged “hair,” a very short neck, hyper-extended chest keels and moveable claw “teeth” in their arm-jaws. They have the anomalous habit of swallowing their prey in a single bite, “walking” the dead body into their cavernous mouths with their claw-teeth. After eating, they usually rest for several days before getting up to run again. “Vomit piles” containing the indigestible hard parts of their prey are a common sign of Ammodromeus in the Thalassian interior. There are two species of Ammodromeus, one of which is smaller and brighter colored than the other.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Reading a badly scanned copy of Man after Man online has changed my life :colbert:

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
I remember this, and thanks, thread for reminding me of that one about the alien planet too. I ate this poo poo up as a kid, but man the cgi has not aged that well.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Just found a pdf of it, its some crazy poo poo https://superduque777.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/3-man-after-man.pdf

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Got this documentary as a booklet with a popular science mag way back in the day. But that one claimed all the humans were dead, and it didn't say anything about those spiders farming rats :thunk:

It did have all the land octopuses though so congrats to all the experts that agree with my theory that octopuses will soon come to live on land and start posting if they haven't already.

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
Is this the one that stars the sharkopath?

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I prefer the one with the sharknado

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DICKLORD BONE posted:

Is this the one that stars the sharkopath?

YES

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mycroft Holmes posted:

That book kicks all sorts of rear end

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That ending had me on the edge of my seat but I'm glad the Squibbons defeated the fart monster.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like planet earth it is real fun to watch and learn about all the aminals! (:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Five millions years and what does nature do? Terror birds and baboons again. Nice, real original there.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone mentioned After Man yet?

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Once you were mad about hats, now you're mad about tall ships.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wish Man After Man wasn't out of print, it's super expensive and hard to find

Note that the same author Dougal Dixon also wrote a book just called After Man which is easier to find, but I think it mostly focuses on crazy animals instead of bizarre human evolutions :(

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah I could definitely go for a hardcover copy of each if they weren't going for 500bux secondhand :(

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wish Man After Man wasn't out of print, it's super expensive and hard to find

Note that the same author Dougal Dixon also wrote a book just called After Man which is easier to find, but I think it mostly focuses on crazy animals instead of bizarre human evolutions :(
Yes, there is After Man, which is what this documentary is vaguely about, Man After Man, which is about the genetically modified Yeti people and what not, and The New Dinosaurs, which is about what dinosaurs might have evolved into if the asteroid hadn't hit. Apparently there was also a spinoff book from this documentary too: https://www.amazon.com/Future-Wild-Natural-History/dp/1552977234/

Mooey Cow posted:

Got this documentary as a booklet with a popular science mag way back in the day. But that one claimed all the humans were dead, and it didn't say anything about those spiders farming rats :thunk:

It did have all the land octopuses though so congrats to all the experts that agree with my theory that octopuses will soon come to live on land and start posting if they haven't already.
It's already begun!

https://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah I could definitely go for a hardcover copy of each if they weren't going for 500bux secondhand :(

I've had a copy of Man After Man since the 90s (I think my dad gave it to me?) It's still in great condition.

I have no intention of selling it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Cacator posted:

I've had a copy of Man After Man since the 90s (I think my dad gave it to me?) It's still in great condition.

I have no intention of selling it.

:eyepop:

...that price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Every time I read "Man after Man" I read it in the cadence and to the tune of "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper and it just adds to the weirdness.