Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

That was a disturbingly good Culkin impression

Melissa is really talented.

"No Kevin, we killed them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I forgot how much I love Willie.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I don’t think you have a leg to stand on criticizing IG folk for integrating sponsored content, SNL

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Holy moly that ScarJo joke was :discourse:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I cant believe it took me so long to remember why that’s so funny. It still kinda blows my mind tbh.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol Pete Davidson makes a good Grinch

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sneeing Emu posted:

:emptyquote:

Codependent Poster posted:

lol Pete Davidson makes a good Grinch

:psyboom:

I couldn’t figure it out!!!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Sneeing Emu posted:

You only write that joke for you’re best friend and know they like you too. Also their wife likes you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oof bad advice in this sketch

pwn
May 27, 2004

It takes a few weeks for a vaccine to become effective once it’s been administered. You don’t just get the shot and run off to mingle.

Pretty stupidly irresponsible to put that in a sketch as just a fact.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I like how Wiig gave big roles to all of the new people. :thumbsup:

pwn posted:

It takes a few weeks for a vaccine to become effective once it’s been administered. You don’t just get the shot and run off to mingle.

Pretty stupidly irresponsible to put that in a sketch as just a fact.

Two shots. Thirty days apart. For Americans who won’t wear a mask in the grocery store for twenty minutes...

We are so hosed. :smith:

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I like how Wiig gave big roles to all of the new people. :thumbsup:

Two shots. Thirty days apart. For Americans who won’t wear a mask in the grocery store for twenty minutes...

We are so hosed. :smith:

Efficacy is still ~80% for one shot, so it's not worthless, it's just not an instant panacea.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

How long does it take for Hulu to put the show up? We are in a market where DirecTV is in a pissing match with the company that owns the NBC affiliate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

How long does it take for Hulu to put the show up? We are in a market where DirecTV is in a pissing match with the company that owns the NBC affiliate.

It's always been up by 8 a.m. Central on Sundays for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Individual sketches are up on YouTube already if that helps. A bit of a pain to watch them all but hey.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZhwAT4LBM

this was so weird wtf

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"i have that swagger you got when you're not a pedophile" is really great

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

White Christmas!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Raphael WOULD be the type to go full MAGA

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I will not apologize for loving Secret Word.

"The New York Times said, 'Uh-oh.'"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont remember it in the live broadcast but the Home Alone 2 sketch on youtube has added cgi birds?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I dont remember it in the live broadcast but the Home Alone 2 sketch on youtube has added cgi birds?

At the start? Those were in the live show. Also they’re practical, not CG

Enjoy episode 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xRJrfWXNjc

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is an appropriate thread for this. Mulaney has checked into rehab for cocaine and alcohol. Not shocking given his history and I'm glad he got help before he became another sad showbiz drug story.

https://news.avclub.com/john-mulaney-enters-rehab-for-cocaine-and-alcohol-abuse-1845929912

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is an appropriate thread for this. Mulaney has checked into rehab for cocaine and alcohol. Not shocking given his history and I'm glad he got help before he became another sad showbiz drug story.

https://news.avclub.com/john-mulaney-enters-rehab-for-cocaine-and-alcohol-abuse-1845929912

I actually was shocked by this! He always seems so level (as people do when they are high-functioning addicts), but now him and Pete Davidson clicking makes so much more sense...

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I actually was shocked by this! He always seems so level (as people do when they are high-functioning addicts), but now him and Pete Davidson clicking makes so much more sense...

Pete now ruining more things than the sketches he’s in. He’s a monster and must be stopped.

pwn
May 27, 2004

pwn posted:

:eyepop: well done, i appreciate the emphasis on “the van.” the first third of that list is 1991-1994 Saturday Night Live Christmas Past.txt, which I miss. I still have my 1992 airing on VHS, I might pop that in tonight (and find out just how badly degraded it is by now...)

Oh hey so I decided that I may as well rip it if I was going to watch it. I wanted to share it with everyone here, and rather than try to host it on some janky tube site like dailymotion, I just threw it on google drive and let y'all enjoy it from there. Christmas Eve and Day only. This is the 1992 airing, which I recorded in SP when I was 10, with credits from the inferior and degraded 1993 airing, since for whatever reason the credits in 1992 are cut off. There's also a bunch of local Eau Claire, Wisconsin commercials, and about 10 minutes of a local 6PM newscast. I also included the Matt Foley sketch from 1993's Sally Field episode, as well as the tease for that year's Christmas Past.

Also, I slightly misspoke earlier... as far as I can tell, the original Christmas Past was recorded and aired Christmas 1990, not 1991. The show would regularly tape the "live" bits for their specials back then. This special features an opening reminiscent of the 1989 15th Anniversary Special, and band shots with traditional Christmas tunes.

Merry Christmas, SNL thread, hope the next year is slightly less awful.

pwn fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 26, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, always fun to see these old recordings.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sneeing Emu posted:

I just saw this now and it was really perfect for two reasons:

1). The joke is generally to make Jost say racist poo poo, so subverting that is fun

2). At this point the only way a “Scarlett Johansson playing someone she shouldn’t” joke funny again is to get her husband to make it on live national television, and Michael Che took his responsibility as the only person who could make that happen very seriously, and he deserves props for it.

Honestly I think update benefits a bit from having people who might be a piece of poo poo IRL hosting. Chevy’s obviously Chevy and Norm has gone down the Grumpy Old White Politician hole and they’re two of the best update hosts, and the best bits for Che/Jost play into that same vibe. Amy and Tina are the only great hosts that don’t fall in that category but they’re such a potent comic team that it doesn’t matter.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight’s Vintage: Jason Momoa with Mumford and Sons, from December 8 2018. Regular repeat is Adele with H.E.R.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

pwn posted:

Tonight’s Vintage: Jason Momoa with Mumford and Sons, from December 8 2018. Regular repeat is Adele with H.E.R.

Adele completely breaking during the "Africa" sketch alone is worth a re-watch.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpAyaJuyN8s

The background culture and work that goes into SNL is fascinating.

pwn
May 27, 2004

That’s awesome, love me some SNL BtS vids

I also love me some actual proper Vintage! Tonight’s installment: Dolly Parton from April 15 1989 :o Featuring classic sketches like Dolly telling the cast of stories from 60s TV her youth, to the sketch that Franken and Davis had written for Raquel Welch 12 years earlier but that she had rejected: Planet of the Enormous Hooters, along with Dolly performing, and a couple of shots of GE and the band, you can’t go wrong! It’s impossible!

The regular repeat is John Mulaney with The Strokes.

Next week’s Vintage is a classic too. Hint: Tom Cruise does not show up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

That’s awesome, love me some SNL BtS vids

I also love me some actual proper Vintage! Tonight’s installment: Dolly Parton from April 15 1989 :o Featuring classic sketches like Dolly telling the cast of stories from 60s TV her youth, to the sketch that Franken and Davis had written for Raquel Welch 12 years earlier but that she had rejected: Planet of the Enormous Hooters, along with Dolly performing, and a couple of shots of GE and the band, you can’t go wrong! It’s impossible!

The regular repeat is John Mulaney with The Strokes.

Next week’s Vintage is a classic too. Hint: Tom Cruise does not show up.

Man... I never make it a point to check out SNL Classic, but Dolly Parton? And 1980s Dolly Parton at that?? Oh yes, sir.

Should I feel bad about enjoying the self-aware and gratuitous shots of her cleavage? I don't think so, because Dolly is a pretty special case, given that she's always gone out of her way to draw that exact type of attention, and she's been very open about it.

And Lothar! I loved these sketches back in the day.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sprockets without the original music is not cool

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Good on Dolly's mother to change the names to protect to innocent.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://vimeo.com/496799172

Seen at the very end, in Lenny’s empty seat between Lew del Gatto (left) and Alex Foster (right,) is Hal Willner, the show’s music coordinator. Probably the only guy on the show who would, and could, get away with pretending to play during the credits as a gag. IIRC he did this several times in this season, as the band was getting these kinds of shots during the closing of the show in the latter half of 88-89.

For fun, here’s a shot of Alex from the Mulaney goodnights. 31.5 years later.

While it’s probably just a coincidence, the regular repeat ended with Hal in the credits, too, in a way — John Mulaney wore a shirt in tribute to him.

The rerun schedule is as follows:

01.09: Dave Chappelle with Foo Fighters
01.16: Jason Bateman with Morgan Wallen
01.23: Timotheé Chalamet with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

The reruns have all been in sequential order so far this season, starting with episode E01 and ending on E08. That is not how reruns usually are scheduled.

The show is scheduled to return live on January 30, for another run of 5 shows. I say “another” only because that was what this season’s first run was supposed to be, before they added the sixth show near the end. This will mean we get live shows every week through February. After February the schedule is all TBA, so who knows? Maybe another 6-show run?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So, who’s idea was it not to have a show this week?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You really that desperate to hear Che talk about how much he'll miss reading Trump's tweets?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

More just wondering how they can take a week of pure insanity and somehow roll it into a cold open nobody likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I'm hoping they just don't touch it (or at the very least, do something small and intentionally not funny). There's just no way it's going to come off as anything but gross the way SNL deals with politics.