Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

I think it sounded more like:

"This is good enough."

:hmmyes:

sort of why I'm unsubtly hinting at that technically, mvp is equal to finished

Racing mechanics aside, I do think that if you decide to focus on Claire's resolution (I never did win the last race, must do that the next time) where she'll just commit to the end no matter what. That was a strong point for characterization, since unless you have a really bad, through-and-through case of the man from Nazareth in your heart - there are things that happen where not only does vengeance seem right, it seems logical and it is not easy to think yourself out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

:hmmyes:

necrobobsledder posted:

One of the interesting conundrums with the game is how many parts of the game have extremely serious attention to detail (see: guitar players' fingerings) that won't be seen by players moving around quickly such as small details in ads and the environment, yet systems like cars and the AI don't have as much attention to realism of simulation also because if you move quickly and don't pay that much attention you'll probably not realize that cars despawn out of view (ostensibly because the game engine is struggling to squeeze Miss Piggy into a size 2 dress). Heck, Johnny spawning and stopping the player is almost a "look at how much attention we paid to this, PLEASE" moment.

If you don't have the time to optimize the engine without introducing more bugs, you'll start cutting stuff to render. You can't despawn close buildings without being obvious, NPCs go on the chopping block, and quest items and objectives shouldn't despawn, so what is there left to try to cut? Cars and decals like blood splatter (depending upon how it's persited) are among the first to go and collision meshes for objects a bit further away, audio mixing might go right out the window given latency requirements, and NPCs are next maybe with some light sources. Heaven forbid there's any CPU and memory left to handle NPC AI with more than a few states, and don't get me started on memory fragmentation. A ton of bugs seem to be outside the engine team like careless flags in quests which is kind of an art given so much of it seems manual and tough to test easily, but a lot of the bugs in patch notes back to 1.01 look like stuff that could have been checked for with some automated testing and made quest designers' lives easier.

On the other hand, even if the engine was highly performance optimized I have my doubts they had enough time to build even half the stuff that designers had ambitions to add. A crying shame.

i sort of feel the guitar work would absolutely be the kind of thing johnny would instantly recognize and precisely know but it's not like they have V walking by the same player pre and post heist to show off the subtle masterful shifts in perception that happen when you get someone else's mind resorbed into yours.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

At the very least the game is either unfinished OR all of the pre-release marketing material was straight up lying to you.

Probably both.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Tirranek posted:

Same, never really had a problem with city density. Only exception is the fake jams on the highways that disappear when you zoom in. Whenever I see that I'm just like, 'Come on CP, you didn't need to worry about that."

That is so lovely looking. I also get it off in the distance when I'm driving and then as I get closer they blink out of existence.

How could anyone have thought that was a good idea. It's really immersion breaking.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What breaks my immersion is there not being anything to do in Night City besides driving around and shooting people. But not at the same time, obviously. I really wish there were little minigames or ways to customize cars or basically anything more to do besides looking at a beautiful wonderfully realized vast empty city.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In the end all you can do is shoot, people drive cars, and be a police sub contractor. Pretty boring.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Solice Kirsk posted:

What breaks my immersion is there not being anything to do in Night City besides driving around and shooting people. But not at the same time, obviously. I really wish there were little minigames or ways to customize cars or basically anything more to do besides looking at a beautiful wonderfully realized vast empty city.

i think the problem is less that and more that its doesnt really feel organic or fleshed out outside the golden path. witcher 3 is pretty restrictive when it comes to world interaction but it never pretends to be anything else. the issue with cyberpunk is it has alot of bare bones GTA poo poo in there but none of it is fleshed out.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

About the amount of cars: I sometimes wonder how people would react to an actually realistic simulation of car numbers. In any random major city center there are hundreds of cars around you the entire time, that would be help to drive in. Traffic jams would be realistic, yes, but propably not very fun.

However a gta style game where you have to drive around or bulldoze through huge car pileup would be cool.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think the problem is less that and more that its doesnt really feel organic or fleshed out outside the golden path. witcher 3 is pretty restrictive when it comes to world interaction but it never pretends to be anything else.

witcher at least has some minigames, one of which actually has a bit of depth to it. i know they rushed the game and all that but i was a bit surprised at the complete lack of them in cyberpunk, especially since the setting is full of video arcades and pachinko parlors

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The game really could have used some immsim content. I should have been able to have V wake up in their apartment, head down to a street vendor for some breakfast, hop in a taxi and go to the arcade parlor to play games, then rob the arcade parlor and hop on a subway to ride to another district and visit a dance club.

I was also kind of surprised by gameover screens: every time V died the player should reboot in a garbage truck or dumpster and have to keep going. Seems like a missed opportunity, to me, to only use that in a few cutscenes.
:shrug:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Against some opponents V would wake up without most chrome, and others would probably have some other means of disposing the bodies. Completely agree on immsim part.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Son of Rodney posted:

About the amount of cars: I sometimes wonder how people would react to an actually realistic simulation of car numbers. In any random major city center there are hundreds of cars around you the entire time, that would be help to drive in. Traffic jams would be realistic, yes, but propably not very fun.
I sit at my desk with my 42inch curved screen lighting my face with its pallid LCD glow. My dual Titan GPUs are powering Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K resolution without ever dropping below 120fps. I have a dead terrorist in my head and the person I need to talk to is 5.5km away, across the other side of town. The rush-hour traffic stretches into the distance as I sit in the traffic in my $78,000 sports car. Every 20 seconds I tap the "W" key to move forward 5 feet as the jam inches its way across the urban jungle. An NPC walks into the road and threatens offers to squeegee my windscreen. I refuse, safe in the knowledge that the game will simulate every second of his future life as he tries again with each of the other 918 cars the engine is currently rendering. Yessssss, I think, verisimilitude at last! The 1.5 patch really nailed it, and has transformed this game into the realistic, lifelike masterpiece I always knew it could be"

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Zephro posted:

I sit at my desk with my 42inch curved screen lighting my face with its pallid LCD glow. My dual Titan GPUs are powering Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K resolution without ever dropping below 120fps. I have a dead terrorist in my head and the person I need to talk to is 5.5km away, across the other side of town. The rush-hour traffic stretches into the distance as I sit in the traffic in my $78,000 sports car. Every 20 seconds I tap the "W" key to move forward 5 feet as the jam inches its way across the urban jungle. An NPC walks into the road and threatens offers to squeegee my windscreen. I refuse, safe in the knowledge that the game will simulate every second of his future life as he tries again with each of the other 918 cars the engine is currently rendering. Yessssss, I think, verisimilitude at last! The 1.5 patch really nailed it, and has transformed this game into the realistic, lifelike masterpiece I always knew it could be"

Sir, this is the Cyberpunk thread, not Star Citizen.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Haven't had a chance to sink my teeth in much yet but I really am not a fan of the combat. I'm just starting the first Dex mission and had my first slicing done. Wandering around the streets and I seen these 3 I guess high level guys with a bystander on their knees. Took a ridiculous amount of tries to pull off killing the 3 of them, figured after a few tries I'd use a flashbang and it would be easy, but naturally is takes 8 or 10 headshots to kill anyone. And then of course the rest of their gang magically knew what I'd done so they were after me at every turn. Ugh.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1388092768350875658
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1388093904839450624

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

codo27 posted:

Took a ridiculous amount of tries to pull off killing the 3 of them, figured after a few tries I'd use a flashbang and it would be easy, but naturally is takes 8 or 10 headshots to kill anyone.
I suspect this is because you're just under-levelled compared to those particular NPCs. If you scan enemies first you'll get a sense of how tough they are relative to you from their star rating

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

"A CDPR spokesman told me that they'd allocated $29.8 million for bonuses to 865 employees.

CDPR allocated $28 million for bonuses to 5 board members."

loving corpos, man

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sicko poo poo

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zephro posted:

I suspect this is because you're just under-levelled compared to those particular NPCs. If you scan enemies first you'll get a sense of how tough they are relative to you from their star rating

Yeah I'm still understanding everything and I did scan them, just from a logical standpoint I hate things being gatekept behind things like that where them being higher level means they can just take 40 bullets to the head. I do have it on second hardest I think but a well executed ambush should still let me dispatch them without too much trouble, levels aside.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Wouldn't call it a flop based on the sales figures.

Those board bonuses where mentioned in the financials, the exact terms of course weren't (at least as far as I remember). As far as a culprits for the terrible decisionmaking goes, my guess is the terms. Seeing as them considering other obligations and consequences for pushing the release back likely weren't hinging on third parties, as clearly no shits were given - as demonstrated by hubris vs. consoles etc.

edit: "One employee said that this year, the company reevaluated salaries and increased wages for some of the lowest-paid positions, such as testing, to align them with video game industry standard"

yeah, gently caress testers, scum of the earth apparently.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 30, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Actually it's really awesome when 5 board members get the same bonuses as 900 other members of a company, because it PROVES CP2077 was a financial success, you idiots! Gogo unseen cabal of billionaire financiers who control this industry! :woop:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Average is 34K, but what's the median?

Edit: “We earned this money and the company earned this money, of course, but more net profits, more bonuses,” he said. “So well, we have results, we get bonuses, and that’s the contract we have.” Said Kiciński.

itry fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 30, 2021

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

itry posted:

Edit: “We earned this money and the company earned this money, of course, but more net profits, more bonuses,” he said. “So well, we have results, we get bonuses, and that’s the contract we have.” Said Kiciński.

I mean he's not wrong, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Anywhoo, as long as the outside shareholder base is split - they can pretty much set whatever incentives they want as long as the supervisory board goes along and the shareholders can go eat heaps of day-glo rubber dicks.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What I read was "I earned it because it's in the contract because I earned it" and then he remembered that - wait, the company earned it (of course). Other people are in the company but they don't get millions of dolllars... oh, well. How about them football teams?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Kicinski was the homie in the apology video, right? Knowing your bonus is millions of dollars probably makes admitting you're a Bad Boss easy, sucks for everyone who gets a much, much, much tinier bonus. They're the ones who have to stare at code and art assets all day

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

itry posted:

What I read was "I earned it because it's in the contract because I earned it" and then he remembered that - wait, the company earned it (of course). Other people are in the company but they don't get millions of dolllars... oh, well. How about them football teams?

:) the mask is slipping

Seriously though, they really could consider stepping away from the operational work and just keep their shares. Since wielding soft power doesn't come naturally (at least as far as an outsider can tell) and they should just go enjoy retirement. At the very least hand the reins over to professional board members, because they are really bad at communicating with investors and keep undermining their own charter of bullshit.

Like become a creative consultant if your heart's still in it. ffs.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 30, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

forest spirit posted:

Kicinski was the homie in the apology video, right? Knowing your bonus is millions of dollars probably makes admitting you're a Bad Boss easy, sucks for everyone who gets a much, much, much tinier bonus. They're the ones who have to stare at code and art assets all day
Nah, that was Iwinski. Kicinski is always the one spouting the worst "CEO not seeing regular employees as humans" poo poo imaginable. Here's what he had to say about the crunch on the game in October 2020:

Kicinski posted:

Regarding crunch; actually it's not that bad - and never was. Of course it's a story that has been picked up by the media, and some people have been crunching heavily, but a large part of the team is not crunching at all since they have finished their work; it's mostly about Q&A and engineers, programmers - but it's not that heavy; of course, it will be extended a bit, but we have feedback from the team; they're happy about the extra three weeks, so we don't see any threats regarding crunch.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Crunch? No, they like crunch! Who doesn't like crunch? It's like biting into a nice taco, crunch crunch crunch, hmmm! They tell me, more crunch please. The rumors are very exaggerated, most employees don't even have families anyway.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Most big corpos hold the compensation primarily via stock rather than in cash bonuses but for a company of this size the comp pool is pretty egregiously badly stilted even if the launch went great and people were getting rich. I get that with game companies it's more like a Hollywood movie studio where you primarily get paid after a release but nobody sold capitalism as a system where people with wealth basically have to try to lose to ever lose money, which is what makes the general global default neofeudalism. I mean, what could the board have done worse exactly to drive worse sales and reviewer KPI they had set themselves before? It's impossible not to make some decent money once you have enough marketing and clear a minimum quality bar. The total copies sold is far lower than they were expecting even though they made back their money in production cost - so what are they going to pay the people with for the next 2 years of content production? They're not in a great position partly because the investor sentiment is so bad due to development mismanagement and lack of getting anywhere near their own expectations and failing to hit even the low end of analysts' numbers either (analysts expected 20M units in the first 30 days even with the PSN debacle).

And seriously, they need to have some grown up corpos help them run the ship. It's really, really rare to have founding company nerds successfully take a company to a 9 figure market cap and what's more common is what we've seen with CDPR's investor relations - looking incompetent as hell. I read the briefs from every other AAA company and the differences in how they approach planning and are remarkably different. I get that the founding members are trying to keep that whole "we're a company that cares about its customers" indie feel about them, but it's not possible at a certain level of expectations as a AAA studio to do the same dang things when you were smaller. Like seriously, Metallica can miraculously release Master of Puppets, pt 2 and half their current audience wouldn't really feel it and everyone else that would have cared stopped paying attention. Imagine Disco Elysium trying to appeal to the same kind of crowd that wanted Cyberpunk for the GTA action elements - it can't.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

necrobobsledder posted:

I get that the founding members are trying to keep that whole "we're a company that cares about its customers" indie feel about them, but it's not possible at a certain level of expectations as a AAA studio to do the same dang things when you were smaller. Like seriously, Metallica can miraculously release Master of Puppets, pt 2 and half their current audience wouldn't really feel it and everyone else that would have cared stopped paying attention. Imagine Disco Elysium trying to appeal to the same kind of crowd that wanted Cyberpunk for the GTA action elements - it can't.

I guess when you bring investors into the equation the goal is just to expand. Maybe it's shameful to keep making "modest" AAA games like W3 with a healthy workforce of ~200 people that don't want to jump ship after/before release, when you can employ 1000+ (with a large chunk of those people being miserable) and make even more games at the same time (theoretically).

Splorange posted:

:) the mask is slipping

Seriously though, they really could consider stepping away from the operational work and just keep their shares. Since wielding soft power doesn't come naturally (at least as far as an outsider can tell) and they should just go enjoy retirement. At the very least hand the reins over to professional board members, because they are really bad at communicating with investors and keep undermining their own charter of bullshit.

Like become a creative consultant if your heart's still in it. ffs.

A smaug retiring? Seems unlikely.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

itry posted:

A smaug retiring? Seems unlikely.

I'm just going by known behavior, I don't buy it that they're into this poo poo anymore, except for the money. And they don't need to bother eating poo poo for it anymore. Like for a normal human's salary, how long can you really keep pandering to loving gamers before you feel like eating a gun?

They're too old, should let go, nobody listens to techno... etc.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The system works

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So I haven't played since before the 1.2 patch, and don't have auto-updates on. I just opened GoG and after downloading the 33 gb patch that I assume was 1.2, I'm now downloading another 48gb patch? Any idea what this one is?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

loving Arasaka!

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

So I haven't played since before the 1.2 patch, and don't have auto-updates on. I just opened GoG and after downloading the 33 gb patch that I assume was 1.2, I'm now downloading another 48gb patch? Any idea what this one is?

After the 1.2 patch, there were hotfixes 1.21 and 1.22.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ravenfood posted:

sounds like a bad patcher? the hotfixes on steam were like 1 to 2 gigs

btw I hope any CDPR devs reading this flee the sinking ship now, and not when all the top talent is gone (because that bonus arrangement is a gigantic insult to anyone actually working there)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
desperately trying to d/l cyberpunk2077_1_21_to_1_22.exe like it’s 1998 :f5:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

cunts hosed mate

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

I guess when you bring investors into the equation the goal is just to expand. Maybe it's shameful to keep making "modest" AAA games like W3 with a healthy workforce of ~200 people that don't want to jump ship after/before release, when you can employ 1000+ (with a large chunk of those people being miserable) and make even more games at the same time (theoretically).
The standard risk mitigation strategy is to have a diversified portfolio - this is essentially the EA corporate model and it's doing fine obviously and is the real Arasaka of gaming and always will. CDPR's model is closer to something like Tesla if all it made were the Model S and Model 3 - this is insanely drat risky business and every single product launch needs to be nearly flawless. For a while studios like id used to make some money licensing out their expensive custom engine but they dropped it because the kinds of developers that can write great engines are probably not the kind of engineers that want to hand-hold a bunch of random devs' hands while using it. So it's really quite a lot different from the business-ish software world where the big fat cash cows are the ones selling shovels to the gold miners and this makes games as a business closer to movies than to Google or Facebook.

At a point making "better" games is more about making more accessible games just like movies because of market addressability. To do more movie analogies:

Blumhouse Productions - Nintendo and Zynga type mobile cash cow garbo games
EA or Take Two - Disney
Disco Elysium / Za/Um - The Witch / A24
CDPR / Witcher 3 / Cyberpunk - Lionsgate Films / John Wick / Hellboy (2019)

While it's a bit reductivist to try to directly compare movies and games there's similar market dynamics at work given they're both entertainment sectors and have vaguely similar project dynamics like hard deadlines and tournament-style competition which isn't comparable to business software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

No, the movie industry is a pretty good comparison. It's true that diversifying their protfolio is a good strategy, but they were doing a great job already as a medium sized company. Although that was under Michał Kiciński.