Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Freeze this is the police!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's something on the ground and it has an icon but I can't pick it up. Help please!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I shot it, someone ran infront of me and then I shot them. Police officers came out from the ground to take me down.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I looked in the mirror and now I'm bald? wtf

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I found the horny channel on the tv.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What option for public hair did y'all pick? I went for boxers because I wanted to protect my dick.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Game is super buggy but atleast I can roam the streets and pretend to be a police officer arresting thugs and taking down criminals. It says the PD pays me but I have no clue.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Skyl3lazer posted:

Also fistfighting the twins is awful don't bother until you're high level

It was super easy just duck and weave and slice like a god'drat hammer.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It's really important to put bodies inside dumpsters because you get stealth for doing it. I'm walking down the streets carrying bodies because I don't want to lose that sweet exp.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm ready to cyber.

Really unrestricted clothing is my favorite thing ever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How do I gain points in athletics? Do I need to run da streets?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Saved up and bought the legendary dermal armor and now I am a unkillable tank in fights.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Playing on normal cause playing a janky fps game on inflated difficulty most of the time is not a good time. I'm fine curb stomping the game. During character creation I did go back on forth one which difficulty to play.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Gonna have a bad day in night town if my brain computer tells me your a criminal.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Riding around on my akira bike upload malware to all the bad people.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I feel like after about ten hours I'm just starting to understand the game and I thought I'd drop some tips for people that I wrung out of this.

Rule zero, during the braindance intro and outro with the headset with the flashing lights, look away until that poo poo gets patched because they can trigger epileptic seizures. It's literally based on a device that causes seizures to do diagnostic tests by doctors. I don't know how this got QA and it was obviously patterned off a device that flashes specific colored lights at specific frequencies to induce seizures on purpose. It is astoundingly stupid to put into a game. Don't get Pokemoned. Don't look at the beginning and end of the braindance, even though it's short. Don't have a seizure. Once you're in braindance, you're good, but remember to close your eyes again when you're pulled out as the lights will still be flashing.

Now that we're past that...Gameplay poo poo.

First, stealth isn't like Skyrim. If you alert everyone in an area, they are permanently alerted. This isn't a Bethesda game where they'll go back to whatever they were doing thirty seconds later. They are on patrol and hunting your rear end and that means everyone in the area and an area can be an entire building. Sometimes it might not be, but stealth is actually a lot harder in this game. Also, you're harder to spot from further away, but they can get you quick if you're close. That said, if you get spotted and combat is going down, if you can waste the guy before he starts shooting or yelling, no one gets alerted. You have just shot him or her to death with a silenced pistol or beat them to death with a bat and it's tense as gently caress and cool as gently caress when you can actually pull it off.

Second, power weapon sniper rifles are stupidly powerful. If you buy and use the ping daemon, you can find basically anyone and shoot through walls, even buildings, to kill them. It's ridiculous just how powerful this is and shooting through buildings needs to be patched, though shooting through hard cover makes me feel like a badass as chunks of concrete go flying as I snipe motherfuckers.

Third, crafting either sucks or is awesome depending on your playstyle. I tend to play fashion souls and so it's awesome, but it's also good so you don't have to constantly switch gear once you get something you like. In the crafting screen there is an upgrade submenu where you can increase how good your gear is to match your level. This means that I don't have to constantly switch out my gear which is really annoying and I hate it because switching out to get arbitary numbers up robs me of the most important feature, which is style. Also weapons might not be what I like, but gently caress it, style. In a no crafting run I'm constantly hunting for better weapons each level. However with upgrading, I can be the most neon of cyberpunks without having to constantly switch my gear and that going into a store to buy clothing does actually make sense because I will upgrade that clothing over and over again. I will definitely throw down thousand of eddies on gear to look fabulous. Also when you upgrade, you don't need the perks to craft that level of gear to upgrade your gear. Upgrading is not crafting and you can upgrade legendary gear if you have the components. You just need to disassemble a shitload of weapons and armor which I would suggest doing because it doesn't actually sell for that much and selling is annoying. Keep an eye on your components. The amount you need raises up the closer you get to your level (I think). If you want to do fashion souls, I'd suggest grinding up and investing some points into crafting to reduce costs as soon as you can so you can get the most amount of crafting items.

Fourth, if you're going to craft, don't rock all legendary or super rare gear. That poo poo gets expensive for crafting materials because a lot of them are rare, especially in the early game, and you're going to have a hard time keeping up because there just won't be enough materials and buying materials is dumb and expensive and sucks. Better to get one, maybe two pieces of legendary gear. However, if you have common or uncommon gear, you can upgrade that poo poo all day for cheap. So it's good to have a mix of uncommon, rare and legendary gear. Also if you're looking for crafting schematics, you can buy a few and I suggest you do if you want to craft, but you'll get most of them from doing side missions. Most don't take more than two to three minutes and you can just do them while you're in the area doing other poo poo.

Fifth, your cyberdeck makes a lot more sense if you think of it as a kind of magic system which will either seem obvious and you're wondering why I'm mentioning it or it's not obvious like it was to me which puts it in a different context. I say this because it's easy to overlook and you can get a lot of use out of it even at low levels and it's pretty powerful at the mid levels where I am right now. You can tailor it to your play-style of being aggressive or sneaky and you can absolutely fry motherfuckers with it or blind them to do crowd control or gain info if you want to do a stealth run. Ping is amazing because it shows you where absolutely everyone is and there have been missions where there was a scripted flanking maneuver and I saw that poo poo because ping was showing me the outlines of everyone as they came at me. Investing in a good cyberdeck early on is worth it as a supplementary play-style, especially on harder difficulties because hard is actually hard until you understand the system. Also consider what kind of daemons/programs you want and I would strongly suggest getting a better deck even before cyberware. Or just...You know, shooting the cameras. Also, if you like a little extra money, I'd suggest dropping two skill points into the data mining/money making skill early on. It builds up quite nicely over time for a game that has you cash strapped even a dozen hours in because the weapons and armor you pick up rarely sell for much.

Sixth, drop one skill point in the passive skills of athletics and/or cold blooded early on just to get passive skill points. Otherwise you'll have a hard time upgrading them or in the case of cold blooded, you can't upgrade it at all without sinking that first point into it. Nasty oversight.

Seventh, don't bother throwing knives. You're literally throwing your melee weapon and once it hits, it disappears. You cannot recover your knives because apparently in the future, like condoms, knives are single use. You have to equip another to throw another or maybe you don't because you don't have any. It is currently a totally useless skill that eats your money and makes you go back to the menu to equip and throw more knives in its current form. Knife throwing means burning money and juggling menus. This is incredibly disappointing because it means you have to go with a silenced pistol and thrown knives are actually extremely powerful. Its execution is really great and I never fail to one hit kill anyone at a decently short range. It's just that no one thought about how it would interact with the game and I don't know who the gently caress was in charge of QA for testing because this is a seriously early skill and it makes me question the competence of basically everyone in charge of this, because you can get knife throwing out of the box. I hope this gets patched because throwing knives is actually pretty fun. Sadly, again like condoms, the fun is single use.

Eighth, I played a generalist play-style with four skills and I'm beginning to lag behind for skill checks even though I'm doing side missions. I'd suggest sticking to three skills.

Ninth, there are stats that you can 100% ignore if they don't gel with your playstyle. The obvious ones are intelligence, cool, and technical ability. If you don't care about hacking, intel is your rating 3 dump stat and you can still do a little with it. You will miss out on the game's "magic system", but you actually can use it to an extent. Technical ability is also a pass unless you like fashion souls or want to buff you grenades, though you will miss out on money from the hacking games and you'll constantly have to switch your gear which is annoying. Cool is your stealth and multi-kill skill, which is a weird combination, but oh well. You don't need cool if you don't do stealth and honestly, I don't think I'll need much more cool for the stealth run. Also, I'd suggest getting either body or reflexes. Being a suave, nerdy, crafty, stick thin, slow guy or gal is a recipe for death just like in the Deus Ex games. You can't just be a hacker. You will get hosed up. Getting both body and reflexes will make you into a monster though and you'll be tough to kill and sometimes shots just won't hit you due to the game's dodge skill. You don't need both. Body means that you're into your fists or blunt weapons, shotgun and heavy weapons. Reflexes means you're into blades, pistols, automatic weapons and rifles. Body will make you tankier and you can swing for longer. Reflexes will make you dodgier (you will not notice this) and crit more.

Tenth, skill checks. All attributes have skill checks. Strength allows you to open doors to access alternate paths in a level, or storage caches (honestly, not that many) and carjack people and that's it. It has a couple skill checks for social, but not a lot. Mostly intimidating creepy ripperdocs. You'll know the one. Punch him. Likewise, technical ability will allow you to open doors and make social skill checks. I'd strongly suggest getting strength or technical ability because the paths without either one are seriously sub-optimal unless you're a straight up brute, but you don't need both. Reflexes makes skill checks based on perception, intelligence on intelligence and of course, cool on cool. Originally I went generalist so I could get skill checks on everything, but I'm running into problems with the devs wanting three skill checks and I'm lagging behind in the mid-game. These skill checks happen regularly enough for you to notice.

Eleventh, after act one, you're without a car for a while and everyone wants you to buy one. This will eat up a significant portion of your hard earned Eddies and it sucks, because you will get your original car back eventually, even though it's not a great car. Save up for better cars later. When you lose your car, I strongly suggest talking to [spoiler]Jackie's mom to get his motorcycle. It'll help you get around the city until your car is fixed and you can do it early. gently caress paying for one of the early vehicles. Also the motorcycle is badass.[/spoilers]

Twelfth, check all of the Ripperdocs around the city. Paying off your original doc for 21k Eddies actually doesn't really get you anything but access to his gear. Not even experience, which was a letdown. It felt like 21k down the drain for poo poo that I never bought and a debt that I never owed. I will say that each doc seems to have their own unique suite of gear, though there are crossovers once you visit enough. So check your local for the cool poo poo that they have. I strongly suggest saving up early on for the legs mod that gives you extra mobility. High jump or double jump or Deus Ex style leaping off buildings and hovering down is a seriously investment because some poo poo is just hard to get on top of. It's 45k, but extra mobility really is worth it. But there are some low cost options. I bought a reinforced skeleton that gave me 20% extra health for 2k. Great value. I'm in the mid-game and I only have like, five pieces because I wasted a shitload of money. Don't waste money. It's seriously hard to come by.

Thirteenth, I really wanted the monowhip to be good. Maybe I'm missing out on something, but I am so sad that it's not better and it doesn't seem to give me any skill points at all. I think it would be better on a body+cool build, but not on my reflex+cool build. An extra 3 damage per point of cool just isn't a lot for me and it takes me about six to ten seconds to finish off a standard mook with a whip on hard mode with a moderate amount of cool. I don't even get to garrote people with the whip which feels obvious and it would have made the whip worth it for super gory kills that would have been aesthetically pleasing and badass. I feel cheated, because it really is a fantastic idea and I really want to whip motherfuckers like I'm Johnny Mnemonic, but I just can't get it to work and I can't garrote anyone and I'm very sad. Please let me know if you can get it to work.

Excellent game so far, but some of the menus are seriously impenetrable.

I would like to add on to this for those interested in character building. I could be wrong on some of this but this is what I put together

Max level is 50, so you get 50 attributes to put in to your character. So you could max maybe 2-3 trees depending on how you want to play. To raise skills you have to raise the attributes to keep lvling skills, 3 in body will only let you lvl street brawling to 3.

Body = shotguns/brawling/beef stats.
Reflexes = handguns/rifles/blades.
Techincal = crafting/unlocking doors/tech weapons(there are tech guns and grenades count as tech weapons). Crafting is pretty strong but your gonna spend alot of attributes and perk points just to make number bigger on items.
Int = hacking, spellcasting as said above, cameras and turret turn off ability.
Cool = your stealth tree and actually stacking buff tree for combat. You can do alot of stuff with stealth doing things will take longer tho.

My best advice is to just stick with one of these for the start of the game unless you want to branch out but as the game goes on you get attributes slower meaning it will take longer for you to switch if that's what you want to do halfway. My trees are a complete mess and then I decided to go all in int for spell hacking. You could also just put your attributes evenly and you would end up with around 13~ if every attribute letting you do every thing decently and be a jack of all trades.

Most of the trees are really superficial and you could do blades/shotgun pretty fine without super investing.

Base attributes are 3, that means you can try every ability tree to lvl 3 and usually get an extra perk doing it also. About every 3 lvls in the ability trees gives you a perk point.

Like the witcher 3, side quests give out the gold if you can put up with just wandering the map. I only did the first quest so far at the start of the game and then just ran around the city. I've earned over 100k credits and really don't have anything to buy from stores.

I've mainly focused on cool, techincal, and int.

I've stealthed a bunch of gigs full stealth, they took awhile but not that hard.
With techincal, I made a bunch of grenades with crafting then did a bunch of gigs where they took 10s because I was just throwing grenades non-stop. GL City!
With int, I've stood outside gig quest areas hacked into cameras then using the camera network killed everyone inside with hack nukes.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 11, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RC Cola posted:

I have a 3 in body and reflexes. How much should I restart the game?

The game is most likely very forgiving on attribute placement. I wouldn't say its that important. Unless your really want to be only body and reflexes and don't might restarting. And even still you could still max them if you only focused on them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

D-Pad posted:

How do bounties work? I see gang members that say they have a wanted level but when I kill them I get no money. I thought the tutorial said you can capture or kill? What is the SC stand for in the reward listing?

I think it just gets credited to you after combat is over.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So wit Intelligence maxed I'm clearing out buildings with a single cyber hack. It's pretty amazing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oh god I respeced out of crafting and now I found out how bad the seller ui is.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Air support!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Legendary quick hack passives for having them equip really up the power of hacking.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So there are epic versions on mantis blades and gorilla hands, makes me think there are legendary versions aswell.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Breach protocol perks become alot stronger when you have enough legendary quick hacks that give you more deamons to upload so you can get all the dmg boosts just from hacking thugs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Corpo lines can't be any worse than picking corporation etiquette in shadowrun dragonfall!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If the future no one has flashlights, lost to time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think they want you to buy way too many vehicles, over 75% of my quest log is buy this vehicle quests.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I think the most glaring example of how non-existent civilian AI can be is when you literally save NPCs from gang members and they just stand there staring into space with zero reaction afterwards.

Sheep.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Taintrunner posted:

Goddamn. I literally cannot progress through the game anymore because I get a CTD at the second rail shooting sequence (early game spoiler) Arasaka Hotel chase and I keep getting this error:

Any idea what that might be and how to fix it?

Verify your game installation, make sure whatever drive its installed on has some extra space, make sure c drive has some space for save files also.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I switched up to very hard to see if it would make combat take any longer and I'm still nuking down points of interest in like 5s. I'm starting to think the game wants you to heavily specialize and then broaden after that. Making you commit to a playstyle. I bet you could still do a jack of all trades way of playing still though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Simone Magus posted:

In fact, I think that in general what the game wants you to do is get every stat to 7 or 8, with maybe one or two at 10, as quick as possible. That is, if you want to have maximum options available in the side content.

It seems like they could have made this a little more clear, but it's not a big deal. But you get LOTS of stat points so don't stress about dump stat, you're not meant to really ignore any of the stat trees

I looked around, a jack of all trades would have access to alot more perk points due to going up so many trees, the only thing they would be missing out is how strong specializing makes you in just that single area of the game.

If you do all the points of interest, you can most likely have a stat lvl 20 before the story of the game even begins.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There is a legendary dermal implant from the kabuki ripper doc that gives 200 armor and it's only like 21k credits. It turns you into a tank at the start of the game and then slowly becomes less than 99% of all your armor your wearing later.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 12, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ZeeBoi posted:

The surveillance override stuff is so weird, sometimes I’m not even sure if I managed to shut it off

If you cyberhack off the camera and then go into camera control, you turn them all back on. Even if they are green at that point now they detect you again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is there anyway to get iconic weapons back because you need them to craft the upgraded versions and I like dismatled all of them long time ago haha.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Orange Crush Rush posted:

you just recraft them again, if the old version was in your stash or whatever it got destroyed when you make the newer one anyways

This is the problem I'm getting with it.

I'm guessing its asking for any katana but I haven't found another yet. I'm just gonna load back before I put the perk in then try again later when I have a katana. But I no longer have the iconic scalpel that its asking for.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
gently caress you pink flamingos!

Also something strange is happening, when I use quickhacks sometimes cars explode, I don't know why yet.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 12, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why does stadia need hardware? I thought that was the whole point?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hrm I just found out I was carrying 100 pounds of grenades.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just fought a cyberpsycho on very hard after crushing points of interest with no problem to going to getting one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wait, what in the world is happening?