Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's bananas to think we're less than a week away from playing the game. Here's hoping it's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gQ202CFKzA

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are there any bite-sized lore videos out there to learn about the setting, various factions and people?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sweet, thanks for the links!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ichabod Tane posted:

Lol @ the knife throw to exploding flip car

As far as I'm concerned this is a feature not a bug!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Honestly, I've been enjoying the console version but the controls feel so stiff and plodding on a gamepad. I can see why people who primarily played this on the console didn't enjoy it much because it does feel like I'm fighting them most of the time. Probably doesn't help I'm playing on Hard and you can take like two bullets compared to the seven hundred thousand (to the face) enemies can tank. Probably going to lower it down to Normal and see how that goes. Don't see it fixing the controls, though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

site posted:

yeah i've been switching back and forth using kb/m for combat and gamepad for everything else

Does the PS5 version support mouse and keyboard?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s gonna be different for everyone but the very first thing I did on PS5 was look up different config suggestions and I really like this one : https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/669388-cyberpunk-2077-best-controller-settings-pc-ps4-ps5-xbox-one-series-x-s

Sweet, thanks for this. I'll give it a try and see if I like the changes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any must-have perks? I'm still early yet, I've mostly been driving around and exploring which is something I didn't think I'd be in to but they really art'd the heck out of this game and it's just really fun and satisfying to drive around. Yeah, there are a lot of locked doors but the place is sprawling. Probably the best open world I've been in since Saints Row 2.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did they muck with the economy and not change the display prices? 120 bucks for treats from the store but when I go to buy them they're like 8 dollars. Likewise weapon prices are pretty high but when I sell them I get a fraction of the price. The Akira bike also costs a freaking fortune and looking at other sources it used to be much cheaper.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the auto-aim needs to have tracking on it and the combat will feel a lot better on the controller. It'll snap to target but that's it. So the optimal way to aim is to mash the left trigger to re-acquire the target. Adjusting some of the controller options help only slightly.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Robobot posted:

Took away better first person driving too. Guess I was too quick with the compliments about the new patch.

Edit:
Gonna shelve this till there's DLC. Last two patches brought up more bullshit for me to deal with than when I played through on patch 1.2something.

Care to elaborate? The driving feels... fine? It's not great but I wouldn't call it awful. It just feels a little floaty and all the cars/bikes I've used so far have the worst breaks in any motor vehicle ever produced. Kinda feels like a worse implement of Saints Row 3's driving, which scaled on the arcadey side of things (which I liked a lot). I'm curious to know how it was better in previous patches. One huge problem I can think of is that there are no quick button to look behind you and you can't look behind you manually. So backing up is a wildcard of either murdering someone or crashing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

You still can’t see anything in first person, maybe that’s what they meant? Driving is very… GTA4 like? It’s kinda meh instead of actively terrible.

Yeah, some cars really have butt visibility. I found a car out in the Badlands and boy about 30% of the screen in first-person is the front windshield, the rest is the dash and ceiling. V should move the seat up a little bit, I think.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm kinda disappointed in the variety of clothing that you're able to wear. I saw a NPC with these boots with a mouse face and ears on the tip. Nothing as fantastic as that has shown up in any of the shops. What the heck?!

Bust Rodd posted:

I think crafting is supposed to be essentially the “economy” tree because it basically functions as a way to use the game systems to break the game’s economy over your knee and fund your epic ascent to cyber-psycho

I've been crafting stuff but blueprints for weapons are bananas expensive. I don't know if they nerfed the amount of cash you earn from breaches and side stuff but it costs like 20k (which is several jobs) for rare blueprints then it only gets more expensive from there. I think uncommons were 10k? That's silly.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Those numbers are tiny baby numbers. Buy one blue spec, then you have infinite money. Just craft the one thing over and over, go to store, turn it into a Legendary G-58 Dian store and you have their money. Can empty out drop boxes for more money. My limiter is purple parts and how far I'm willing to travel to the next store instead of playing the shoot man's game. Scrapping components is a mugs game, my method is to stop by medicine, junk, and gun stores throughout the game. You can further videogamify it by skipping 24 hours in front of a vendor, but I find that unnecessary.

It is a ridiculous amount of guns just to get your crafting to level 20. Gotta be a tiny one person factory, but you will clear the overhead of that crafting spec in like 2 store runs.

Hmm, alright. I'll try that out. I didn't give it that much thought but that sounds like a solid plan to make a few bucks. I've mostly been taking those perks anyway because despite them change some of them around a lot of the direct weapon ones are boring as all hell. Single digit % increases to damage and crit chance put me to sleep. I like a good flat damage increase but that isn't it.

I'm glad a mod exists to turn all lethal damage to non-lethal. I always like playing these as bloodless as possible. I think I've killed maybe 5 people total in the game so far either because they were annoying as gently caress enemies to deal with or roleplay purposes. I mean, outside of the pedestrians and drivers who got murdered by my reckless driving. I've turned Delamain's timid son into a bloodthirsty speedfreak. I dunno if my lovely driving changed the personality but it yelling "I got that loving wanker's license plate" after a crash made me laugh out lout.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Speaking of mod slots, what's the max a piece of clothing can have anyway?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm still "early" (did two of the three main story missions that open up after the prologue) and despite my gripes with controls on console I've been enjoying myself quite a bit. I think the character writing is the game's strongest point. All your allies are really well written. Though I wish you had more (and better) ways to call out Johnny on his horseshit. He perfectly encapsulates the 17-year old twitter revolutionary. All piss and vinegar, talking about blowing up poo poo and how people need to wake the gently caress up but not bothering to build any kind of solidarity with the people being crushed by capitalism. It's amazing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Judy's a pretty swell gal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't like Mr. Hands either. I wonder how much kickback he got for sending people to their deaths. Chump.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Should use the budget for new BD development to add a skee-ball minigame. Use your phone to call up your friends and go skee-ball playing. Everyone loves skee-ball!

I thought brain-dances were pretty fun. I dunno if they were a return on investment though. Even before reading that post they "felt" expensive. But it was worth it for the set up for Pyramid Song, which has been my favorite thing CDProjekt has done in any of their games. Everything about that mission executed perfectly. All came together real good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

OgNar posted:

Just had this happen.
Still a few bugs here and there.

https://i.imgur.com/qwVJ8lc.mp4

That's just Saitama from Onepunch Man doing Serious Side Hops.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Game definitely needs a transmog system. I know there are mods for the PC but us console folk are out of luck. Found a good look for my V but a lot of the clothing doesn't have legendary counterparts so I'd lose out on mod potential by sticking with it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Brian Worms posted:

You've gotta suffer for beauty.

I guess that's just the way its gotta be.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just out of curiosity, is the relic attribute (I dunno why I spoilered this since it shows up after the prologue but I figured I do it just in case) tied to any story thing? Just a flavor reminder that you have some broken corpo tech lodged in your brain? Or something not yet determined and linked to some unreleased DLC/expansion?

Also Judy's good:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

v1ld posted:

This game gets a lovely rap for not having choice and consequence, but I think it’s more that the game doesn’t telegraph those choices. Saving Takemura is an obvious example, he shows up so much subsequently in missions and the endings - and it’s all handled very smoothly.

But this video really shows off just how much is accounted for and just how much you can influence matters. I’m only a little way in and already mind blown at the possibilities accounted for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsvZNJ3bbR4

It’s cool that the dark(est?) ending gets this kind of intense detail.

There’s a great amount of subtlety here and a commitment to having it all just flow together that I think makes people think there’s no choice or consequence.

I appreciate this guy's commitment this entire time to making Cyberpunk 2077 videos. He does spot a lot of really cool details that even I in my first playthrough have missed. It does make me excited to play it again the next time there's a huge update (which is to say expansion). Maybe I'll have a GPU by then and play on the PC where I can actually aim my power weapons without struggling.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I love my non lethal shotgun that regularly makes people's arms and legs come flying off.

Nothing in the rule book says you don't need arms or legs to live.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You should get +1 of Cool for completely ghosting a mission because you're just that awesome.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's interesting to read ending theories because I think the writing is open-ended enough that you can take whatever meaning you want from it depending on the kind of character you're roleplaying. I don't think "you lose something" is any kind of negative. If you're just a copy, so what? Johnny's attitude is probably the healthiest of it. You have this knowledge in the back of your mind that you're a copy, an identical one but a copy nonetheless. It's like learning how fast food is made. You may like them nuggies but you know how they're made and what they look like before they turn into the delicious gross things you're eating. Just not caring and living your life is the best way to do it. If your character is more fatalist about it then the cost can be too much and you have an ending choice for that too.

I find the chip countdown timer to be a bit contrived but I've gotten fun roleplay stuff out of it. I think V's case is an unique one and with the introduction of the Relic attribute, the DLC could (should, more like it!) be post-game and take into account your choices, kind of like your origins, and whatever the chip may or may not do (depends if you believe an AI or corpo or not) can open up all kinds of story possibilities. Maybe nothing happens! Just some scare tactic to influence the decisions you make in favor or what the entity tell you that information wants and lets you continue on as if nothing happened. Or maybe it wipes away everything and you have to start fresh (A Geralt situation). It could be a really fun way of having post-game DLC and have all your friends around but they treat you differently than you (the player) remember. Giving you second chances when you blew it or act very familiar but the dialogue responses you get aren't appropriate. All those things before it funnels you into the story they want to tell in the DLC.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 11, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Basically all I'm reading is that the DLC will be Cyberpunk Revengeance and V will be dicing up corpo materiel as the nonsense lyrics of the buttrock battle music kicks in. I can dig it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

New Witcher game announced. Also confirms a Cyberpunk 2077 expansion is in the works (dunno if there was any official confirmation one or not before this):

https://twitter.com/gamebowski/status/1505946243700252678

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tirranek posted:

If the old Mass Effect backlash taught me anything, it's that most capital-G Gamers demand a happy ending because that's the only way they can implicitly knock boots with their love interest until the end of time. If the otherwise exact same ending had included a scene with whoever snuggling up to Shepard, I'm convinced significantly fewer people would have cared.

Nah, Mass Effect 3's ending was poo poo and people were right to be upset. It was out of left field and all agency was removed from the player and given to a character the game just introduced. There was no nuance or build-up to that drivel.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's not so much people expect a happy ending (though having one isn't a bad thing in your sci-fi series about hope and triumphantly overcoming the odds) it was just they give you a push-button ending (after saying they wouldn't) that immolated the setting completely. It was a shitshow and the whole gamer entitlement stuff was from people slobbing the boots of EA over artistic intriguing for a game with stuff cut out of it for pre-order DLC. Laffo at cutting out Javik, the most important and unique character in that game, to keep as pre-order DLC or a day one purchase.

This game's endings, I feel, aren't explicit in their conclusions so they're open for interpretation in ways that are far more rewarding and interesting than Bioware's attempt at "lots of speculation from everyone". Which is super impressive to me and shows the chops of the writing team on whole. It's appropriate to the setting and throughout the game it shows you ways in which how things can sometimes turn out okay while sometimes these things just don't have good or happy endings. So each ending, which I view on a gradient scale of bad end to good end, still have room for each of them to turn out alright or bad for V.

Its impressive because even I knew of a few of them before I started playing but getting one of them I knew of in my playthrough still blew me away how pretty awesome and open it was. Didn't ruin a thing for me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did Joker's hat achieve sentience in the mint-flavored ending?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That was before someone showed him John Wick on bluray and he got surgery to look like Keanu Reeves.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looks like they're ramping up development for something (probably the expansion). The company's job page is looking to fill a ton of positions to work on Cyberpunk. Unless they have been there for a while.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Really? I thought he was really quite good. If Johnny was voiced by anyone else I don't think the character would have worked. Need an actor you can immediately empathize with or else this piece of poo poo character will just go largely ignored and flushed out of your system at your earliest opportunity. Having that actor helps you get to the part where you begin to care about them.

I mean, some line reads were kinda... meh but he does those really ranty parts and heart-to-hearts well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My biggest beef with driving is that the cars feel like you're driving an F1 car without any downward momentum. These things are slick on the road and handle like they weigh 5 pounds. I don't mind the turn radius or acceleration speeds (though the breaks could stop the car a bit faster) but hit any kind of bump or take a turn at any kind of speed and you'll be flying through the air and sliding all over the place.

The Nomad cars have superior handling insomuch that you can take turns better at speed and can get your car under control easier, but the weight problem is still there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Steven Heck is amazing. Every game should have Steven Heck in it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My V's already cool enough and doesn't need to smoke - like Dante!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Not all celebrity casting works out, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I would be surprised if we got just one expansion, to be honest. Despite the state of the launch the game sold a bazillion copies, so having a couple expansions would be in line with how they supported Witcher 3. That game is a good blueprint. I think having the expansion be post-base game would be neat. I think the biggest hurdle for anything else is Keanu Reeves. Having a mid-story expansion where Johnny doesn't chime in or crack wise would be really weird.