Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Just so happens I finally replaced my nine year old laptop with a Dell G5 15 I got during the doorbuster sale last Monday. With a tenth gen i7, 16gigs of memory and a gtx 2070, how well do you think I could expect this to run at 1080? I feel like this is definitely one that would feel better with mouse & keyboard than a controller, but not if it's going to run like garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

You’ll be perfectly fine.

I've been waiting for someone to tell me this all year.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

the first project meeting for every single CDPR game

CREATIVE DIRECTOR: first thing I want to do is go around the table and have everyone describe what core concepts they'd like the game to explore. Let's see... drunk npc that wandered around the Vizima slums in the first Witcher game, why don't you go first?

DRUNK NPC: *stands up, clears throat, does imagination hands* AHM HORNAY!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

v1ld posted:

Personally, not planning to touch CP2077 for a year or three

This is good advice for most games these days, honestly. Either because the developer's going to spend the next half decade after release finishing it, or concerned private citizens need the time to confirm the game isn't a Trojan Horse hiding a bitcoin miner.

Cyberpunk has definitely become a $19.99 sale, all DLC and expansions included, purchase for me at this point. Reading other people talking about it is plenty fun though, so there's that silver lining at least.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

2house2fly posted:

It's good advice even for games that come out fine, because there'll inevitably be DLC and ports to other platforms and stuff, often with added content as an incentive. I pre-ordered cyberpunk more because I wanted to be in on the ground floor on something big and zeitgeisty that a lot of people would be talking about than for the experience of playing the game itself

I'll probably buy Resident Evil 8 at release for that reason, even though substantial DLC will no doubt be later made available and I'll never circle back to play any of it, because I'm a freak.

Not getting Cyberpunk had less to do with following my own advice, and more to do with hesitance to pay full price for CDPR product (Witcher 3 Complete Edition was the first thing by them I actually enjoyed, and even that I thought was an ok game in a very pretty container).

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I love Keanu with all my heart but he did that insane remake of Funny Games where gets seduced by hot chicks who ruin his life and now no matter what he's saying on screen in anything all I can hear is him screaming "YOU... YOU SUCKED MY loving COCK! WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO! WHHHHYYYYYYY! MY COCK YOU SUCKED MY COCK! AHHHHHHHGGGGH!!!!" and I really... I really hope it gets better before Matrix 4 comes out.

I ghostwrote the screenplay, and can verify Neo only mentions his cock being sucked 12 times.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wrote an unofficial epilogue to the script, and can verify that all instances of "cock-sucking" were replaced with "tasting my wiener" and one instance of "dingus" (for the PG-13 crowd).

The line "I know how to get my cock sucked" is maybe my greatest professional accomplishment as a small, magical helper being that lives in the walls of Warner Bros Studios and creeps out when the writers have all fallen asleep at their laptops to finish their scripts.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Maybe next year...

At this point, as someone still holding off on buying, I feel like once this thread disappears I'll forget the game exists and maybe sometime in my 50s I'll randomly hear about a dedicated group of super fans who spent the last 10-15 years rebuilding it ala Vampire Bloodlines, I'll buy it for two credits on The Disney Omnistore and come by a personal opinion the honest way.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, same. Power armor was way cooler, base building just reminded me of how many games already do that better. Little things like respurce collector/generators were fine but building fences and guns and poo poo was very meh.

The whole building mechanic really did not interest me and so I never collected stuff during the main game; when progress was gated behind collecting enough litter to build a teleporter I moved on quick. I think maybe I would have stuck with it if there was more in the game grabbing me, but base Fallout 4 felt like such a letdown after New Vegas. Regardless, crafting\cooking\junk collection\etc is not an itch I have, so I really don't want scratching it to be mandatory for progression. 76 seems like more of the same, specifically the stuff I didn't like in 4, plus online and there's no amount of patching that could make me happy with that.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

Game is on 33% off on Steam. Worth it yet or wait until half price?

Unless you're the kind of person who regularly does multiple playthroughs (I am not), wait a whiiiiiiiiiiiiile just to give them time to put in... whatever they put in. Worst case you get little to no additional content, but some more bug patches and a deeper sale. That's basically where I'm at at this point. There's not enough time in the day as is to play everything I want, so it doesn't really hurt me to hold off and lurk this thread, see where things go.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I change my vote to don't buy it, but also break into the CDPR offices and steal $60 worth of stuff.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Speaking of pretty good videos, if you want to watch someone occasionally refer to Cyberpunk 2077 in a series of videos titled "Cyberpunk 2077 Review" then check out this behemoth by Tim Rogers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnBKX_vdYQI

He doesn't have much to say that hasn't been said already (this is one of the most talked-about video games of recent years, so how could he) but it's entertainingly filtered through this guy's bizarre brand of psycho. at one point there's a 45-minute digression about men's fashion

I will play this video when he's finished patching it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Jandek has an adult son, and I have it on good authority that he reviews video games.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Wipfmetz posted:

I've really enjoyed CP2077 over the last few months, but only after catching up with this thread I've come to understand that I shouldn't.

I'm sorry for this and promise to feel accordingly guilty whenever I enjoy it in the future.

VO: As I read the awful posts on the internet I realized I had begun unconsciously typing a reply and felt an overwhelming sense of Weltschmerz. There was nothing to distinguish me from them, these people, with their opinions, online. We were grey particulate matter, drawn to earth by hideous gravity & packed tight over what feels like an endless procession of centuries so that we are presently undifferentiated; a dead field in eternal winter, never to be liberated or tilled and made of use.

A GAMES POST
~.~
DIRECTED BY WERNER HERZOG

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah this seems impossible unless they would just, like, pause the game and sleep for 8 hours and then unpause it. I scoured every inch of this map, and cleaned every fuckin icon off the map, read every chip, and never skipped dialogue, and hit 80-90 hours with nothing left to do. It is inconceivable that someone would then spend another 280 hours doing… nothing?

I've seen people in the thread talk about how they love to just be in the world and wander around. Might be those folk.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't have remotely anything close to 300 hours, but I loved to go just exploring and sightseeing, and I kept finding new spots. Plus attempting to do general stupid poo poo with cars and double jump.

I don't imagine that being me when I get around to firing Cyberpunk up, but I respect the approach, like, in general. To games, life, you name it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bedlam posted:

As much as people seem to dislike Keanu I think we can all agree it would be an absolute nightmare to go through the game with Chris Pratt's Johnny Silverhand chiming in every 5 minutes.

But what if Chris did his Mario Mario voice the whole time?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Then again, it would be weird to celebrate Cyberpunk, if only because of the absolute deluge of negativity that would result from anyone saying anything nice about the game, so that makes sense.

I think it’s this. They’ve quietly put it on sale a couple times, but there’s no point expending money or effort in community outreach at this point. The negative positions on it are still overwhelming, and even most of the positive takes I’ve seen have some version of “yeah, it’s bad, but I like it anyway” baked in. Right now we’re all still aware of it, but for the most part the general public is done bitching/mocking, which is where they want things until they’ve produced a substantial fix to the game that they can actually hang some marketing off of. I’m sure they would have loved to crow about how far it’s come at the year mark and celebrate, but timing is way off here, so quiet is probably wisest.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Palpek posted:

If you don't have a problem with using Epic Game Store - Cyberpunk is on a 50% sale right now and because they have a 10$ x-mas coupon thing going on as well you can get it for $20 overall.

Good looking out! $20 is my price point for buying in, and I doubt I'm going to wait the literal years it would take for there to be a complete edition (I'm still betting on them releasing expansion material) for that price on Steam sale, so I pulled the trigger am now the proud owner of something I won't play until the spring 2022, at earliest.

This does put me one step closer to having an actual opinion of the game, however.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

forest spirit posted:

can you wait like, a month?

I assume you meant wait a month for 1.5, and not the fire sale priced, all expansions included, Game of the Whatever Edition I theorized existing at some point in the future? I went for it now instead of waiting for that version because I know I don't have it in me to hold out that long and will probably buy it some point next year, probably for more than $20, so it was well worth paying $20 now for vanilla. Then I'm probably not playing until spring at earliest partially because I'm waiting for whatever big patches they're set to release in the very near future, and partially because Elden Ring is out end of February and there's no way I'm shelving that so that I can concentrate on Cyberpunk

Besides, the longer I wait to start it up the more time CDPR has to release significant patches past 1.5, which is likely, given past performance.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

forest spirit posted:

No like, buy it now.

Just don't play it now.

You only get one first impression 🤷‍♂️

and re: doom timer. the game walks and the game talks. the timer is the talk. the walk is everything else

Yeah, I'm not playing until I'm done with my first playthrough of Elden Ring. So, like, sometime in spring at earliest, and probably summer if Elden Ring is as much of a big deal as it seems to be.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

2house2fly posted:

The post-launch antihype, while not great for sales, is probably ultimately helpful to the game's image because people playing it for the first time now will come out thinking "that was pretty cool I don't know what all the yelling was about". I remember that happening with Mass Effect 3

I think this is true. Like, I've been following this thread since around launch and know what problems people have with it and why, but I also know when I get around to playing it, assuming the patches are as substantial as they've been theorized to be, all of that information will get flushed from my brain by the feeling that I had a reasonable amount of fun for a reasonable amount of money.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

It's true, this exact thing happened to me and Witcher 3.

Me too! Witcher 3 in its completed form was actually the first CDPR game that I fully enjoyed and was what convinced me to give this one a chance at full price...

a chance which I immediately rescinded after hearing first impressions, but they're getting closer!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Valtonen posted:

Hot take: PDK was not a good author or writer per se; but managed to find interesting and trippy ideas to write about.

He was a great writer who perfectly nailed the sleazy, sad, confusing nature of existing as a low class schlub in a trashy, crumbling capitalist American dystopia. Movie adaptations of his stuff always try to drop the worldbuilding and keep the twist and I sort of get it, because Dick's worlds were never cool or badass, and were instead decidedly unsexy, sweaty farces about beleaguered, heartbroken jerks trying to sift through confusion in search of authenticity.

The best Philip K Dick adaptation ever made, which ironically isn't actually an adaptation of anything written by Philip K. Dick, is Southland Tales, because it perfectly captures his way of describing the predicament he found himself, and sees us, in; priced out of a future and drowning in competing false realities, lack of compassion, disunity, lack of value or direction, and an all-encompassing distrust of any kind of bulwarking structure (a distrust that's also usually proven to be well founded). Most other PKD adaptations ditch the voice crying out in an absurd, garish wilderness element that's inherent to his work and instead fixate on the "What if the TV could change your channel" bits and suffer as a result (or just stop being PK Dick stories), but Southland Tales does not and it's great.

Basically, I don't think it's fair to say he was a bad writer. Overworked and possessing an idiosyncratic style? Definitely. Not a good author? Geez, no way.

Also, can I get four orders of large onion rings and a chocolate milkshake?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

If you read VALIS and just want more of his ranting about the black iron prison there's also an edited version of PKD's Exegesis available. It's not really readable imo but interesting nonetheless.

My finger has been hovering around pulling this trigger for years now. 944 pages in its abridged form, goddamn.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

From what I recall, this is the heavily edited version, the editors of this said that the whole exegesis took up an entire wall in the garage where PKD kept it. They also said that there's a lot of repetition, so they tried to get the gist

THE REDEEMER REDEEMED

It does not surprise me that there was a lot of repetition in his journals. Even in his published works he has many little things he gets fixated on and crams into books whenever able (how many times does "pot healing" show up, for example).
---
I finally got around to reading The Transmigration of Timothy Archer on my last work trip and I think it might be in my top five now. It seems like he was finally going to get paid well enough in the 80s that maybe he could take his time, instead of bashing out novels to keep the lights on, and it's a shame he died before he could fully enjoy that freedom. Related, I really want someone to finish The Owl in Daylight, or just publish what's there.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

I had never before seen Southland Tales in relation to PKD, but now I can't unsee it. I loving love that movie, mess that it is.

It makes me happy to hear that a second person likes Southland Tales.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

I've never actually understood how that scene is supposed to work. some CSI bullshit.

It's a UX fix for a human computing problem. The computer deduces the solution on its own very quicky, which further embarrasses a user already absorbing a constant barrage of blows to their esteem while away from the terminal. Users were more likely to then attack the terminal in an attempt to assert dominance over something in their environment, often damaging the hardware in the process, which then generates repair costs and lost time. Occasionaly, the users would need time off to have damaged limbs treated, or their position might even need to be restaffed, which is nearly as financially deleterious as a damaged terminal.

It was decided that the cheapest, quickest solution at this point in development was to instruct the user to "solve" the problems they presented to the terminals by barking commands at the screen; the screen would react to the commands with a lagging, choppy visual flourish, giving the user a much needed illusion of participation and superiorty. Additionally, the computer would create subtle audio and visual cues- novel pixel cluster discolorations or slight pitch modifications to the click sound that accompanies each frame pan, for example- that subconscously encourages the user to give the correct orders, minimizing the time needed for the farce to successfully play out. While this is happening the terminal transmits findings through the network so that logistics on next steps can commence.

Finally, the user is given a print out of "their" solution, as a trophy representing their success. This encourages docility and compliance.
---

Oh yeah, where's my shake and onion rings? I've been screaming into this plastic clown's mouth for what feels like an entire day.

EDIT: in the PKD explanation it would just be that the hardware was lousy and maybe it would insult the user for losing his wife to a rich guy, then demand he pay back fees for previous sessions before it would print out the solution.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 11, 2022

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I will be starting my first playthrough of the recently fully patched and dlc'd Cyberpunk 2077

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Neat! Any mods to go with it?

I will tell you in 2077, when the game is finished.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Is it a laptop? Mine has a pretty good GeForce card and everything runs well through the laptop screen, but the HDMI passes through the intel onboard and for whatever reason nothing video game related works right\well when trying to play on an external monitor or television, regardless of resolution, or forcing the system to use Nvidia at all times. You'd think I'd have the same problem with the laptop screen too, since that also passes through the Intel, but nah. It's just when trying to use HDMI to external monitor.

Also, in Cyberpunk news, I continue to own it and not play it. One day- maybe on my deathbed- I will check that off my list, have my surviving relatives let everyone know what I thought.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Robobot posted:

It is a laptop! That may actually be what the issue is. Not sure how to fix that though, if it’s possible at all.

My experience futzing with my laptop (G5 5500) has yielded no results. My best guess is that some limitations of the onboard video effect the discrete card, because the onboard is mediating between nvidia & screen.

I would very much like to be wrong, however.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what

why are you spoiling yourself in here

and just to give strangers troubleshooting advice for a game you don't play?

I think I posted a bit before release to see if the laptop I had bought would play the game.

Then I ended up waiting to play because of the state it shipped in, but ended up staying in the thread to keep track of patch releases. Still waiting at this point because it's become fun in its own way to wait and see what else gets changed. I don't read spoilers and tend to let my eyes glide over discussions about missions and screenshots.

Robobot posted:

Hey, I'm glad of it. I finally got an explanation/answer to why my laptop isn't connecting to TVs or monitors correctly. You know how weird it is to have your laptop restart because you tried to switch from duplicate screens to extended or having it restart because you turned on Ultra HDMI in the TV's settings? It made no sense!

Thinking on it, one of the weird things I noticed in my own situation was that the external monitor wouldn't allow me to use HDR, even though the UHD and Nvidia video both support it, and the external monitor does too. The only element in the chain that doesn't support HDR is the laptop monitor. I wonder if you set your screen to turn off completely when the lid is closed, then try closing the lid either before you plug into the hdmi, or just after, would that fix your issues? Maybe that laptop screen being there is somehow interfering with performance between laptop and external monitor?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Robobot posted:

Tried that too and nope. It still looks amazing on my TV, but I’d like the 120hz refresh rate just the same. $1500 laptop that can’t do what it’s graphics card is specifically for. Maybe I’ll sell it and just buy a desktop.

Gotcha, yeah. I couldn't remember if I tried that or not with Resident Evil Village. I'm guessing I did and had the same outcome as you.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So is the game better now? I played at release and it was junky af

Speaking as someone who has also waited forever to start playing, I'd say if you want to play it this year and are willing to hold out potentially for no good reason, wait for 1.6 to drop. My gut tells me that'll be the last significant patch they release this year and after that if you still want to wait you might as well wait for the presumed expansion to drop in 2023. I have no idea what 1.6 is going to bring to the table, so I can't promise it'll be worth holding out for, but they did say they want to get it out this year.

If that sounds stupid, play now. People seem pretty happy with 1.5 and I have no idea when 1.6 is going to come out.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm pretty sure CDPR announced a month or two ago that 1.5 is going to be the last major patch until an expansion comes out - there will be bug fixes and whatnot as necessary, but no major revamp/rebalance. That said, it's still an unknown if the Full Game Rebalance mod is being worked on for 1.5 and if/when that will be released.

I want to say they mentioned 1.6 dropping this year during the last earnings call, but I'm going off of games journalism and not hearing the call myself, so who knows. It was reported as arriving "in the coming months", so even if the reporting was accurate and 1.6 is dropping in 2022, December is an upcoming month this year too, so... no idea when it's dropping, or guarantee it's worth putting off starting for.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I finally started playing last Friday, since it doesn't seem like 1.6 is happening soon, and it's pretty ok! I haven't played too much and am taking it slow when I do play, but so far there's nothing to really dislike, outside of driving, which is aggressively unpleasant (but that's ok because I'm still new to the place and like walking around the city to soak it all in).

It's visually gorgeous and the design of the city is great. The mood is generally really cool too. I'm also impressed that it runs pretty smoothly on my laptop at relatively high settings. Then something that cracks me up is how, since I don't care about curating a specific look and instead just pull whatever has the highest number off my most recent victim, I generally look completely deranged in the inventory screen; I consider it maybe the best feature I've encountered so far.

Overall, it's pretty good!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Game looks and feels like urban hell.. 10/10 on setting. They really nailed a hell hole dystopia

Yeah, absolutely no complaints on that front. It nails the kind of city I'd see in my head while reading something like Snow Crash as a teenager.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

the trash is so nasty the rats won't touch it

Or they've all been eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

curried lamb of God posted:

I also just started playing a week ago after grabbing a PS5! The best advice I can give for driving is to switch to a third-person view - it's still not pleasant (the first car barely brakes), but way better than first-person.

I was wondering if it would control better with a controller instead of mouse and keyboard, but it sounds like it’s the same bleh experience. I also drive in third person when I’m forced to, but that can only improve it so much. I try to stay away from cars in general because they handle like garbage and it’s stupid easy to run someone over and it takes forever to drop your wanted level.