Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zaphod42 posted:

I literally just listed one. Vampire: Bloodlines. In the very post you're quoting.

Farcry does too. And Borderlands. And loooooots of others. Deus Ex 1 has loot.

Also what you're calling "looter shooter" is just "loot" which most RPG games have. Mass effect 1 was 3rd person and it had more "loot" than Cyberpunk, does that make it a "looter shooter" ??

RPGs have loot lmao. Some don't. Yeah. That doesn't mean you should assume an FPSRPG won't have loot. More likely it will.

You're saying "looter shooter" as an insult which is like a huge conflation of all kinds of different FPSRPG game designs and doesn't really amount to much serious commentary. The intent seems to be to imply "this is bad because Destiny" which doesn't make sense. This isn't an MMO.

You're being disingenuous as hell here. Out of all of those games, Mass Effect 1 is the only RPG listed that does the randomized item stats like Cyberpunk. It makes inventory and looting in both games completely loving poo poo too. When you get an item in VTMB or Deus Ex it has the same goddamn base stats regardless of when and where you pick it up, you're not picking Assault Rifle Copy #4598 with slightly higher DPS. It's 100% unnecessary and the game would be better for it if all of this poo poo was streamlined because Cyberpunk isn't a loot game where the loot is supposed to be the draw. The only FPSRPG I can think of that did this in recent memory was The Outer Worlds and it was a garbage rear end system there too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Section Z posted:

ME1 has my favorite science handgun customization even if sorting through the loot piles could be a pain and so many of the guns felt like a chore due to "45 degree firing cone until you get the good ones" disease.

Which lead to my outlook in the sequels being bizzarro land man where I wearily sigh when my big handguns run out of ammo and pull out my backup sniper rifle.

But at least I didn't need to consult a walkthrough and revert to an hour+ old save because I walked right past the only place in the game to get a better SMG for hours in ME1. Yes my engineer run is still sore about that, ME2.

It was fun to turn sniper rifles into pocket howitzers with explosive rounds but overall I didn't miss it when they removed the system entirely.

Rinkles posted:

New Vegas is pretty close to the platonic ideal, imo. Even this game took some inspiration. The iconics are basically NV's uniques.

Yeah I really wish they'd done it NV style. I ended up dumping a bunch of points into crafting just so I could make some of these iconics; feels really bad to get unique loot that you can't do anything with without investing in the crafting tree. Like I get if I pick up a unique gun or whatever and I can't use it properly without the right skill investment but giving me a loving legendary blueprint I can't do anything with until I get 18 levels in crafting is a bit much.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Proteus Jones posted:

There's weird bug with consumables and dismantling. If you *use* anything from that stack, you suddenly can no longer disassemble them. You have to dump/sell the entire stack and start over.

It took me quite some time to figure out what the gently caress was going on with that. And even then an unused stack doesn't disassemble even though I never consumed any of that specific item. So there is deffo some really weird bug around that.

That explains why I couldn't dismantle any of the Maxdoc Mk3s I made.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So did I screw myself over by making my Overwatch into a purple variant at like level 22? I can't remake it as I level up because it requires the blue version, which I no longer have, and I'm still a ways off from getting the legendary blueprint.

God I wish the loot/crafting wasn't so loving absurdly bad.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

More NCPD jobs because the game doesn't have enough of those.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hit the Takemura bug so I guess I'm waiting for the next patch.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm level 30 right now and I just wrapped up the VDB stuff while waiting for Takemura to call me about the parade. It looks like I got a ton of side stuff leftover still. Is now a good time to turn up the difficulty from normal so I can hit level 50 before the end? I've avoided doing so because I heard about armor bugs occurring when you changed the difficulty and the AI would just one hit you.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Am I just incredibly unlucky or what? I've been crafting the same legendary gun over and over trying to get it to roll a different element but it keeps rolling physical damage. I thought the stupid 'fixed stats' change was rolled back in a hotfix. :confused:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's the Headsman. I swear I was doing electrical damage with it but I guess not; both the purple and legendary ones say physical damage.

e: Okay that's enough Cyberpunk for today.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 15, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I can't tell if this Cutting Edge perk is working. It's supposed to buff all my crafted weapon stats by 5% but I'm not seeing any number changes in the inventory screen. It is actually working according to some Reddit megapost about which perks are and aren't working, but it's just not noticeable.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Goa Tse-tung posted:

even people who love the game are part of the consensus: literally everything about crafting is dumb

What do you mean? I definitely had a great time spending 3 hours in the menu crafting purple Maxdocs to level up my crafting to 18.

v1ld posted:

Why are they even rolling the number of slots on each rarity level? Another bad choice. That should have been fixed instead of RNG.

Found this out yesterday when I had to craft legendary clothing a bunch of times just to get max slots for 'em.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 23, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

v1ld posted:

I hope all these sources of crit chance are actually stacking. A big chunk of that money spend was on the Legendary Projectile Launcher which lets you fit in two +10% crit chance mods.

The game's stats screen is either broken or the stats computation is broken or, going by TW3, most likely both are broken.

They should be, according to that one dataminer on Reddit who was also testing every perk to see if it was working or not. I can't tell if there's any crit caps or anything; I picked up an Overture that rolled with 76ish crit chance and already had like 45% crit chance from clothing mods and I definitely wasn't landing a crit every time.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

v1ld posted:

Ugh, if that person's mod stacking testing is accurate most things do not stack, including for eg Bully on clothing. See their mod stacking list.

That applies to all of the Sandevistan and other +Crit Chance/Damage mods, apparently. Sad because I spent a lot of time Sunday putting this build together and stacking crit everywhere I could and it turns out most of those sources don't stack:

Huh. Well I stand corrected. Guess I can dump all of these crit mods since I have the one mod that gives me both crit chance and damage. e: Wait, can I have like, one of each and that'll work?

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 24, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I had like 3 fortuna mods and 1 bully mod stacked plus 1 deadeye so it should've been adding 60 crit chance and 60 crit damage. I deconstructed my clothing to pull the mods and recrafted the pieces and just slotted 1 bully and 1 fortuna in total. Saved and reloaded my game just to be sure since values on the stat page kind of bug out. Still end up roughly the same crit on my stat page as before. It does not appear to be showing the crit chance/damage that also spawns on my guns so I don't know either way. I'm almost done the game so its kind of moot but jesus it's hosed how broken even the basic math is.

E: speaking of the Cool tree, I've been having fun with Cold Blooded's movement bonuses combined with the movement bonuses under Annihilation with my shotgun bruiser setup. Pop one guy and then zip around with increased speed, which further increases damage.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 24, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yesterday I did a quest that required me to steal something from the manager's office in some nightclub. I started shooting up the place and accidentally winged one of the civilians with buckshot and that got me a wanted level. Cops and police robots started spawning inside the nightclub on the ground floor. I'd kill them and then more would spawn out of thin air just out of my line of sight. I could get them to stop spawning and remove my wanted level if I moved upstairs further inside the nightclub and waited like a minute.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Just finished the game myself, trying all the endings. The best one was the Aldecaldos ending followed by secret suicide run into Arasaka. I appreciate that they went out of their way to make so many variations on the endings, and the ending missions are pretty different. :laffo: at anyone who seriously picked Arasaka ending as their first one, what a loving downer.

Game was enjoyable enough but it's hard not to wonder what could've been if they either had more time or if they had downscoped further and focused harder on more significant stuff like sidequests. People joke all the time about how choices in these types of games just boil down to being able to open a door versus use a vent or whatever, but Cyberpunk barely hides the illusion of choice with "technical ability" door versus "literally bruteforce open with your hands" door being a few feet away from each other pretty much every time. I avoided going full hacker after hearing about how it made the game too easy but honestly it's not that tough either way. Gun combat was pretty serviceable, but I think I would've had less fun if I had gone a different route with my build. Going deep into Body and Cool made me an unstoppable gibbing machine with all the speed boosts and armor bonuses you could stack in those trees. Zipping around at lightning speed with a shotgun made doing all the samey open world encounters more entertaining than I think otherwise.

Khablam posted:

The thread should be full of people talking about "my solution to x" or "how to discover/do y" and it's a shame.

The only thing I can think of that was remotely like that were people finding out you could save Takemura. I'm not expecting Alpha Protocol levels of reactivity here but it's pretty drat funny that there's so little even illusion of choice.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Darth Walrus posted:

Which stat synergises well with Body as my primary stat if I want to be a berserker? Cool for Cold Blood, Reflexes for weapon variety?

I didn't go for a Berserker build but focused on shotguns so I went deep into Body and then later Cold Blood in the back half of the game. The key perks for movement are Momentum Shift, Speed Demon and Manic under Annihilation, and Cold Blood itself gives you movement bonuses per stack. Maxing out the number of stacks and adding Coolagulant and Defensive Clotting loving breaks pretty much every encounter when you effectively get double your armor at max stacks.

TheAgent posted:

I cleared out every side mission and gig before progressing the main story in Act 2, and boy oh boy did that make me encounter some fun issues (like fixers calling me and detailing plot points/missions that hadn't happened yet).

After finally clearing out as much as I could (there were a few gigs and side quests/collectibles you can't get to until you nudge the story along a little bit further) and finally progressing the story, you realize mainline Act 2 is like five quests, with about four to five hours of actual gameplay. And then it goes straight to Act 3, which has a weirdly long quest chain that feels kinda out of place.

I think my fondest parts of the game are easily Act 1 and the beginning of Act 2, right before you realize how shallow the actual game itself is when Act 3 springs up on ya. Or before you start seeing how the combat is very single note and an annoying speedbump to get to the better parts of the game.

Yeah I was similar, I did a lot of side stuff during Act 2 until I started moving along and then hit the point of no return before spending another 30 or so hours clearing the rest of the map. Honestly I think the way to go is to do all the quests that aren't labelled "Gigs" and then leave as many of the gigs and NCPD poo poo for post-game, especially since you get a bunch of unlocks for doing each ending. It's totally a bummer to have Rogue's pistol or Smasher's secret exploding shotgun and no content to test 'em on.

Having gigs and poo poo to do to move in-game time along would also help with some of the Act 3 sidequests. I spent the better part of the weekend constantly time skipping and saving/loading my game to get new phonecalls from certain quest givers that only show up in Act 3 because I'd already cleared everything else.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

This talk about shotgun builds has me intrigued...

For a smartgun shotgun- does each individual pellet go into a different target or all in one?

And I've never really bothered with tech guns, is a tech shotgun still pretty effective going through walls and stuff?

In my limited experience with smart guns they just target whatever's on screen, so if you have multiple enemies in your crosshair on screen it will target all of them; if you just have one all the smart pellets go into the one.

I never really used the tech shotguns either; I went fully into tech for crafting but just used the iconic power shotguns Sovereign and Headsman. The Headsman is loving hilarious and owns.

e: vv I only really tested with the basic Zhuo shotgun and the iconic one you get after beating the game, so that sounds about right.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 4, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

aphid_licker posted:

Srsly dunno how a multiplayer for this might work / look.

Probably something resembling GTA Online. The gigs are pretty disposable and work as a blueprint for randomized online missions.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Earwicker posted:

my favorite encounter in the game is when the car yells BEEP BEEP MOTHERFUCKER at you

unfortunately that whole set of sidequests goes rapidly downhill from that moment and im very sick of that guy calling me all the time

The Portal one loving sucked. I liked the ending where you can set all the cars free though.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

MGS5 is open world and fully supports all manner of play styles so that makes the point moot.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone got any particular fave guns? I found that I was very fond of the Widowmaker (the iconic tech precision rifle you get from helping out Panam in her first mission). Tech weapons offer great (and very fun) combat utility, and the Widowmaker looks cool, hits hard, and is not only good at its intended purpose of sniping through walls, but is also very effective for pouring shots into an enemy charging towards you.

The Headsman. Just a very satisfying shotgun to use. I also love the Doom Doom which is basically a shotgun in pistol form but you get it way too late in the game and its entirely dependent on how you did the Pickup in act 1.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Palpek posted:

So:

Body Shops and Fashion Forward at least sound like 2 of the things I really wanted in the game and I wonder what the ripperdocs one could be adding exactly.

Maybe they'll add in the cloak aug that the badlands ripperdoc recommends to you but isn't actually in the game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Bust Rodd posted:

What ending? I did everything except for the Corpo sellout ending because that one, narratively, doesn’t make any sense at all, in or out of game.

I believe that's the only time where he shows up in the ending.

Found a clip here (timestamp is 6 minutes if it doesn't work with the link)

Of course it's debatable if it's really him.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hammerstein posted:

Also your love interest leaves you.

Not to rain on your gloomposting but it entirely depends on who you romanced for each ending. Like if you romance Judy and decide to stay in Night City with the Afterlife ending she'll dump your rear end but she'll stay with you if you leave Night City together in the Nomad ending. AFAIK Kerry and River stay if you stay in Night City because they like it there, but leave if you go Nomad. Because it turns out other characters can have agency as well, not just V.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That's too bad but also being able to zap all of them with System Reset made it really loving easy.

e:

"Fixed an issue where dodging right after the Kerenzikov cyberware effect ended resulted in pushing V a great distance forward."

No fun allowed!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hammerstein posted:

We can no longer deconstruct soda cans for easy materials. :mad:

Can you still abuse the poo poo out of crafting then deconstructing purple Maxdocs?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Roshnak posted:

You can craft multiple grenades and maxdocs, as well as ammo.

I don't know why they don't let you craft multiple components. Hopefully it's an oversight and gets changed, but who knows.

I'm still downloading the patch so I can't check myself, but does this also apply to mods? It was kinda boring to craft shitloads of Armadillo mods individually just to get ones with good rolls.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah all the Mafia games have police systems.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

2house2fly posted:

I think you can still upgrade weapons throughout the game so you can still use low-level weapons at high level, right? If not it's insane to have uniques with stats based on your level when you find them

You can but even with the cost reductions it will take a lot of components if an item is low enough level.

Though if you wait until you're really close to/at the level cap before making it a legendary that mitigates the issue somewhat.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

satanic splash-back posted:

You could also just use new weapons you find all the time, instead of downloading mods to optimize your weapon damage in a game where the AI is offensively stupid.

Counterpoint: it's dumb to lock iconic gear behind a whole rear end skill tree.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The rollercoaster quest was only active while the VDB quests are still in progress IIRC, so it's very easy to miss.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

codo27 posted:

Soooo are the boxing missions a waste of loving time, just another broken piece of poo poo in this game? Holy gently caress, think you're well clear of an attack then the guy loving magnetizes to you directly from midair.

If you're dead set on beating them, set the game to easy and install gorilla arms with the burn mod; burning them to death with gorilla punch is still counted as a legit win. Even with a full melee damage spec the fights are bullshit. There used to be a trick where you could drop a melee weapon outside the arena and pick it up during the fight but I don't know if it still works.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah, I don't know if they fixed it, but especially if you went deep into the crafting tree and took the bonuses to crafted items, the inventory screen would often bug out and either not show you the improved stats or only show them after you unequip/requip several times.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Palpek posted:

It's me, I'm one of the Alpha Protocol apostles.

:emptyquote:

Youth with a Skull posted:

I want to love this game. I see the potential. But as god as my witness, somebody tell me that the hacking minigame is possible to complete with a kb/m. I just don't think its possible.

It's doable, but it sucks. IIRC your base difficulty also affects how easy the minigames are so playing the game on easy makes them easier to do. I'd recommend just investing in the skill that lets you bypass them completely.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Martial Arts and Shotguns are also valid combat styles that get very powerful if you spec into them. They're just much more obviously limited in terms of range, and certain boss fights make using those styles impossible. Pistols + Techn just breaks the game completely though. Chainshot + Brilliance to immediately end cooldowns and Chainshot again, plus Tech lets you bypass the lovely minigames.

As for the question of whether to buy Cyberpunk, it can be fun but best described as 'mile wide, inch deep.'

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

2house2fly posted:

Nothing in Alpha Protocol has a lot of impact on the endgame. The endgame is going through the prologue area fighting people, with some different cutscenes playing depending on earlier missions. Maybe you skip a boss because you got all the intel on Marburg, maybe the end boss has a rocket launcher.

A choice you make in the first hour can end up changing who the final boss of Alpha Protocol is depending on what you do later.

You are right that quite a few choices don't impact the endgame, but there are certainly ones that do, and Alpha Protocol goes to a lot greater lengths to give at least the illusion of your choices mattering over Cyberpunk.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The game should have dumped some blueprints into your crafting menu each time you raised your crafting grade, but most of them can only be bought at vendors.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Bust Rodd posted:

Crafting would have been good if everything in the game were craftable, but as it stands you can only craft such a pathetically small amount of armor or clothing items and only a very small handful of mods that there’s virtually no room for individuality or expression in your armor//fashion game. It was a huge bummer when I realized all the best armor in the game is stuff you find on dead bodies in static locations, and the best craftable weapons in the game can also just be found.

You get the best sniper rifle from Panam's missions but most of the unique weapons you can only loot as blueprints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I don't know why Mass Effect is the negative point of comparison; the main trilogy only has one romance that works regardless of gender (I guess two if you count Kaiden in ME3). Is this something that changed with Andromeda?