Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Definitely in this for Corpo (puts you right in the middle of the game's main plot, immerses you in all the cool futuristic technology of the setting, and offers plenty of fun fish-out-of-water options when you get tossed onto the street), and still interested to see how feasible (and playable) full wizard builds end up being. Why play a cyberpunk game where you're mostly using your own primitive meat-sleeve to fight people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, 'disgraced former employee of the main villains' is just too rich as a character starting point to pass up on in a genre about hypercapitalist dystopia and the counterculture that attempts to resist and subvert it. It personalises the main conflict in a really fun way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So it seems like quickhacks are basically your spellbook? That's cool. I also note that Cool seems to have the best synergy with Intelligence - there doesn't seem to be any obvious crossover with Technical Ability (although gear crafting is always nice).

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 6, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do wonder what the definition of a 'tech weapon' is. That's what the engineer skill tree seems to principally benefit, and they seem distinct from rifles, pistols, and so on. Maybe they're your built-in weapons?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do hope that they allow us a good, satisfying 'no, seriously, gently caress the corps' ending. I want to absolutely ruin Arasaka and Miltech's days. Punks aren't sellouts to 'ethical capitalists', especially when they're the biggest arms dealers in America.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do find it interesting how stealth and magic (hacking) have such strong synergy in the leaked skill trees. Usually, even 'classless' RPGs treat wizards and rogues as quite separate playstyles, but here, it seems like if you want to hack you want to be stealthy, and if you want to be stealthy, you want to hack.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How meaningful is the choice between lethal and non-lethal? This is a cyberpunk game where I assume I'll mostly be facing down psychotic gangsters and jackbooted capitalist thugs, so I'm not feeling an immediate, obvious incentive to leave most of my enemies alive. Obviously, I'm assuming you'll occasionally be put into a fight against sympathetic antagonists where you want to wear kid gloves, but I'm talking about general, everyday gameplay.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I think they wake back up eventually? And so far one quest specifically requested I not kill people.

OK, so basically, you want a non-lethal toolkit available for specific mission objectives, but you can let rip when that's not a concern?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I have this on PS4 Pro, and I want to know if this is a 'lol, don't even bother' situation until I get an upgrade.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do you get competent in hacking early on? I hear you want to upgrade your cyberdeck ASAP, but the options at my first ripperdoc look intimidatingly expensive. Can you get money faster than I think, or is there a cheaper way to upgrade from your base gear?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On the one hand, I want to fight Adam Smasher because he's canonically an rear end in a top hat war criminal of the highest order, and because using my badass technomagic to remotely dismantle a guy who made himself into a bleeding-edge war robot sounds extremely satisfying. On the other hand, it's been fifty years since all that, and I have the horrible suspicion that he'll have chilled out enough to make me feel really bad about killing him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How generous is the game with perk points? Is it possible to max out one or more skill trees, and how much would you have left over if you did so? Obviously, I won't be able to get every single perk, but it would be nice to be able to get everything for, say, Quickhacking and Breach Protocol and still have perk points to spend.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel like it was a real missed opportunity to have the Voodoo Boys simply be backstabbing monsters with zero redeeming features. Their faction concept is incredibly badass, and having them as the reckless but sympathetic underdog rivals to NetWatch who you can choose to side with would have been very fitting with the setting's themes. Like, yeah, NetWatch are the frontline defenders of humanity, but they're still a corp, and there are still plausible reasons for folks to distrust and seek to undermine them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Splorange posted:

Well, seeing as one of the standard things to do is to try to get into the good graces of any game faction, just to see what happens then. I found it refreshing that no actually, these assholes are really just using you for their own ends, like they did Evelyn.

That said, I feel like the culture doesn't get explored much and I love listening to the (I'm assuming) Haitian creole. I have no idea how the VDB are treated in the source material but there's lot's of cool poo poo in real life that you could mine for stories, traits and fleshing out the background. I mean just something simple like the VDB's relationship to the community doesn't get fleshed out a lot, just broadly brushed during the intro sequence with Placide.

That's as maybe, but the faction concept (a refugee gang trying to claw its and its community's way out of the gutter via transhumanism, even if it means cutting a deal with humanity's most feared enemies) is so strong that it seems a real shame to waste it on 'nah, these guys are just a bunch of assholes for you to kill', and their aesthetic (and the way that it interacts with their appetite for bleeding-edge technology) is rad as hell. There's so many cool storytelling possibilities open there. Save the 'they're just a bunch of jerks' twist for a faction who are less interesting on the surface - this way, it just feels like you're missing out on what could have been.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I know hacking is overpowered, but I kind of love it for that. The whole selling point is that you're shedding the crude limitations of physical combat and assuming direct control over your enemies' bodies and the city itself. It's the quintessential transhuman power-fantasy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do you level Engineering XP, BTW?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I must say, I really like how charged attacks in this game serve the opposite purpose to what they usually do. Normally, they're a matter of risk versus reward, requiring you to shoot slower, shoot less, and anticipate the enemy's movement in order to do better damage, often while leaving you more open to incoming fire. Here, they're about enabling you to keep up the damage in a greater variety of situations, and encouraging you to punish the enemy when they stop shooting, turtle up, and try to bait you out. Tech weapons don't make you feel slow and clumsy, they make you feel terrifying and relentless.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I mean hell I was afraid Wakako wouldn't talk to me if I killed too many Tiger Claws.

Lol.

I do enjoy that the closest thing you have to a Tyger Claw contact is even more enthusiastic about slaughtering them than you are. Feels like any group of TCs you see out on the street is about thirty seconds away from turning all their surplus Arasaka murdertech against each other so the survivors will be first in line for next month's deniable corporate subsidies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

i've asked this before but can someone please explain to me what is going on with the "NiCola" product and why is there a beetle on it? i think it's a stag beetle, not a tick or other biting insect. it's so menacing. is the drink supposed to be bug-flavored? why the woman? is there deep lore here

It's Night City Cola with a cute, punny name, and the bug is probably because there's not much other edible life available in Northern California in 2077, and insect protein is a big part of everyone's diets.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 8, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sachant posted:

Wait why can you buy a rhinocerous beetle from a vending machine? I mean, I know I shouldn't question it, but also why?

As a snack. As mentioned, everyone eats bugs now because most larger meat animals are either extinct, inedible, or ruinously expensive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That feel when a crime is grim, unfair, and undeserved, but also amusingly ironic given the victim's occupation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Like when a dog catcher is kidnapped?

I was thinking more like when a crime writer gets mugged.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Come to think of it, which modern open-world RPGs do hit the trifecta of good story, good gameplay, and a proper sense of choice (in gameplay and in narrative)? If I want to play a wizard (or cyber-wizard), a thief, or a warrior in a big world with lots to do that supports multiple playstyle approaches to every quest, what are my best bets? I know people say other games do the Cyberpunk 2077 experience better, but what are they?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

I think the problem with this question is you are framing it as though CP77 does those things and a lot of folk think it doesn't.
I am enjoying the game more now I have discovered what kind of game it is, and I can enjoy it on those terms, rather than what I initially thought it was going to be.
If you asked me what games did what CP77 does but better I'd probably say Spiderman on the PS5 now, I wouldn't even compare it to RPGs or whatever

... no, I'm asking which modern games do those things because I'm genuinely curious. I think of CP2077 as a Skyrim-alike, and I'm wondering what's new and good in that genre. Spider-Man isn't nearly the same kind of game - it's much more linear and directed in its style of gameplay. You're always fundamentally the same character with the same powerset, dealing with situations that test your understanding and mastery of that powerset.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 10, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

I'm still having tons of fun with the commercial release of Enderal: Forgotten Stories which is basically mechanically improved Skyrim with a great story. I really recommend it.

Anything else been released on console lately? Because it genuinely seems like apart from Fallout 4 and TOW, Cyberpunk is the only recent game in town for this sort of experience, and both of those have their own significant flaws. Anything else out there that I've missed?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Does that offer much build variety? I would have thought the focus on ultrarealism (or, at least, the devs' take on ultrarealism) would narrow things a bit. Like, I can see a gradient between 'big and tough' and 'light and sneaky', with a side order of shooty versus stabby, but is there more to it than that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

I'm almost positive you get more experience and better loot on harder difficulties, which is just loving weird. (Or more experience leads to higher levels which leads to better loot, either way)

... isn't that how games normally incentivise playing on harder difficulties?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Depending on the scaling, they could just gently caress up enough and make it easier on higher difficulties, especially given how easy it is to stack bonuses in this game. And no, in general I feel like making difficulty settings that also give you increasing levels of help as you pick harder difficulties makes no goddamn sense and off the top of my head I can't think of too much else that does it, except possibly unintentionally (like how a theoretical mechwarrior game giving you harder enemies to fight means you'll get better salvage faster). The incentive for playing on harder difficulty should be fun, not incentivized by it also being a pathway to more poo poo.

I know it's a common thing in loot-based ARPGs. Diablo (and its many imitators), Borderlands, and Nioh all do it, for instance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I seemed to get my best athletics XP from melee combat. Spending stamina on punching dudes seems to make your number go up moderately well. I guess you can also grind it with a bit of carjacking once your Body is high enough?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In Cyberpunk the video game, the closest thing we see to racial prejudice as a plot point is the treatment of the Nomads, which is somewhere between European antiziganism and American Hispanophobia, with the corpofascist NUSA/Militech leading the charge. Well, that and Saburo Arasaka is an unreconstructed Japanese imperialist, with all that entails. In Cyberpunk the pen and paper RPG, we have stuff like the original Voodoo Boys, who were an all-white posergang of corpo kids who used African-American culture as cosplay while engaging in eye-watering depravity.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I thought the nomads were just southern hillbillies, so hillbillyism? I didn't understand the Avocados at all.

I got the impression that the nomads were generally quite Hispanic-coded. A lot of the police scanner encounters in the Badlands involve Militech going ICE on their asses, too. That said, 'Raffen Shiv' appears to be partially derived from Romani, so there's definitely some Roma in there too.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 13, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Nomads were just those who realized society was hosed so left. IIRC they dont have any social security number equivalent so they are as off the radar as possible.

That's what they are in the story, but their portrayal has some pretty clear and explicit real-world parallels with historically/presently marginalised groups.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wish there was more than one tech shotgun. The Satara is an incredibly fun early-game weapon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Definitely. One of my biggest problems with 2077's plot is how insanely powerful V becomes without really any in game explanation as to why. Like, why the gently caress aren't there other solos who get Sandevistan implants as good as V's (hell, just giving some top enemies a thing that makes it so they Sandevistan whenever you do so everything stays full speed), or netrunners who hack you into suicide or death or...whatever. In a lower stakes game the answer is cost and of course some top-tier Corp is going to have someone as borged out as V can get, or as good at netrunning, or whatever, but you just won't see them because you're in a low-stakes game. But when you're regularly storming some of the most powerful places in the world and you're somehow a one-person army and nobody else can challenge you it stretches my imagination when a month before you were some gutter trash with a pair of loaned Kiroshi eyes and a washed up fixer with a gig. The Witcher gives you that out because it flat out tells you why Geralt is special. V explicitly isn't, and they also somehow avoid making the Relic a reason for that specialness. I like having the narrative match the game and a lower-stakes game would do that better, imo.

I mean, they do mention that you and Johnny's personalities are slowly merging over the course of the game, and he's shown to be an absolute juggernaut when you play as him. It's not specifically spelled out that the Relic is making you more powerful, but they do suggest the possibility.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do love the Vato. Yes, it's huge, none too fast, and steers like a boat, but that's hardly the point, is it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Earwicker posted:

yea it is far too sunny both for a cyberpunk game and for the central coast of california. morro bay is covered in fog all the time irl

I mean, Northern California being a sun-baked desert clouded only by industrial smog is explicitly a plot point and a sign of how badly the world is going to hell.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, they try to make the characters consistent in their sexuality. Judy, for instance, is very specifically into girls, and very specifically has questionable taste in girls. A couple of extra bisexual love interests for breadth of choice wouldn't have been the worst idea, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Having romantic relationships at all doesn't make a lot of narrative sense. V is on a death sprint trying to save their life from a ticking time bomb where their entire personality will be eaten away by an advanced technology no one knows how to stop until it unleashes a terrorist back into the world. Having the romance options only conclude after the final choice would have made a bit more sense. I get that every single open world RPG needs to jam romance options in because dorks will get bent out of shape if they can't pick the right answers to get laid in a video game.

edit:
For what it's worth, I don't think the romance plots I've seen so far were poorly written or anything.

You're assuming that V is a character who's big on long-term plans and carefully thought-out life decisions. You have some freedom in shaping their personality, but they're consistently not that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

_____! posted:

To be fair all the ones that are still alive got out of the game directly and became fixers who (usually) have a longer life span. For example Rogue who lives to the bright age of 80 something but then eats it hard when getting back into an actual mission. Obviously she wasn't self insert so I don't actually disagree with you, it was just an observation that lends credence to your statement.

And the main exception, Adam Smasher, was and is the top enforcer of one of the most powerful and least ethical corporations in the setting. He has a shitload of money and resources poured into keeping him alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, the Buddhist monks are delightful. Yes, I do want to sit down and have a chat with you about the theological implications of personality digitisation, and driving out into the middle of nowhere on my dead friend's bike to peace out with a VR guided meditation is precisely my jam.