Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Very nice OP good work

Game gonna be good

Wolfsheim posted:

JC Denton style, love it

You probably know this but someone ITT probably doesn't,

JC is named JC in Deus Ex because of a dropped plot line that was going to have you be the descendant of Jesus, Da Vinci Code style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's a LOT of misinformation bouncing around about this game now as people get desperate for clicks.

I've seen 2 websites with information on "Cyberpunk 2077 Classes" (there are no classes in this game)

coolusername posted:

No, what I want IS it to be like, a modern Witcher iii
(But this time I can make a cool lady), maybe have a little nice romance, and do a lot of fun storylines. It's just all the advertising and things I keep hearing is like "it's an even sexier GTA! Choose your dick size and then go wander a land full of sexy tits and rear end! Playboy magazines baby!" Like it's a triple aaa come play my lord makes me concerned that this is absolutely focused on the big money making market I am absolutely not included in, you know? So if there are less... That.. sorts of trailers and talks I want to know.

The advertising is NOT saying that, so If you're constantly hearing that maybe reconsider who your friends are?

Literally none of CDPR's trailers have talked about sexy tits and rear end. Zero. There's been like 10 trailers.

Yes, lots of people online are talking about tits and rear end, but they're also going for clickbait and sex is scandalous.

Spuckuk posted:

Honestly, same. People hyping this up to be some sort of all defining perfect gaming experience are on a Star Citizen level of self deception*

Has anybody in this thread or the previous thread suggested anything like this? It seems like a pointless strawman and yet we keep talking about it over and over.

Lets just, stop worrying about some fictional gamer that may not even exist?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NumptyScrub posted:

There are different weapon mod types:

Power weapons – high fire rate, high recoil.
Tech weapons – low fire rate, high penetration.
Smart weapons – guided bullets.

So for a pistol, you can install a Power Weapon mod, a Tech Weapon mod, or a Smart Weapon mod. The Power Weapon version shoots faster, the Tech Weapon version shoots slower but goes through people and cover, and the Smart Weapon version has guided bullets that can shoot round corners. Perks that affect Tech Weapons would not affect the pistol if it has a Power or Smart mod installed, perks that affect Pistols would affect it regardless of mod type.

I think? Based on a wiki for a not yet released game, so could be inaccurate

This is mostly right, but I don't think you'll be able to mod a Power Weapon into a Tech weapon, they're fundamentally different.

Its more like you find a Tech Pistol and mod it to have Ricochet bullets, or you sell it and buy a Power Pistol and then mod it to have armor piercing bullets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sean10mm posted:

The marketing is extremely BLOW poo poo UP GET DRUNK GET LAID WOOO ANARCHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY but the people who got to play the 16 hour preview have mostly talked about how it has SOME of that but is more like Deus Ex with a big map than GTA V gently caress WHORES GET PAID poo poo.

It really really isn't though?

Other than Keanu telling you to make the game world your playground I can't recall a single trailer telling you to get drunk or laid at all. I swear y'all are just like, inventing this.

Which trailer??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://streamable.com/3jprvx

https://streamable.com/y8oof1

ps5 footage. light prologue spoilers.

if your corpo you can go full karen.

This looks really good.

I do kinda wish V was un-voiced so we could have a ton more dialogue options. Even the illusion of choice is better than no choice at all.

Some situations in Cyberpunk 2077 definitely seem to give you a lot of dialogue options (some based on your skills) but it does seems like other times you get the Mass Effect / Fallout style "do you say yes, no, or sarcastic yes?" which I'm rather not fond of in RPGs.

I guess Disco Elysium's writing has just ruined other RPGs for me in a way :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sean10mm posted:

You're being wierdly literal, a bunch of the promotional material has featured footage of doing shots, taking pills and what looks like scenes in a strip club.

I'm not the guy Big Mad about those things but they're definitely there

Yeah there's scenes of you shooting people and there's like a half a second clip of you doing drugs in-between everything else, but the marketing is not pushing this as "DO DRUGS GET LAID" the game. That's misrepresenting it.

The advertising is "this world is you playground" with quick clips of lots of things, including drugs and jacking cars and driving around and shooting people; aka things you do in a videogame.

There hasn't been any loving in the commercials because they're commercials.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ufarn posted:

FPSRPGs are gonna have bullet sponge enemies, it's the only way to really design the games without breaking everything. Every goon knows what it's like to just min-max pistols and headshot everyone in other modern RPGs when this isn't dealt with.

Nah this is wrong. That's a total cop-out.

And it took them like 6 years but Bungie has learned this the hard way. Destiny 1 was all bullet sponges of the worst kind originally (loving Valus Ta'aurec had like 50M hit points and took like 15 minutes of constant gunfire to kill)
The modern fight encounters in Destiny 2 have none of that at all.

Designing FPSRPG enemies without bullet-sponges is work though, and most people aren't prepared for how much harder it is compared to just implementing a basic FPS which is super super easy in modern engines.

The short answer is: Just spawn more mooks. But the long answer is give the tougher enemies strategy and things the player can do that aren't A) wait or B) shoot them for 15 minutes. But there's A LOT of things you can do.

Look at Doom, both the old Doom 1/2 games enemies and the newer Doom 4 / Doom Eternal, even the "tough" enemies barely count as bullet-sponges. Its more about having to manage all their different attacks and keep moving around the room so the sheer quantity of enemies doesn't entrap you.

All that said, the combat isn't even the biggest part of Cyberpunk 2077 so it'll be fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The level of hype for this combined with the fact that it's just a video game makes it the easiest thing in the world to make fun of.

I think this is a really weird toxic thing that's happened lately in games. On the one hand you have people who act like because of "the hype" they're owed a better game. On the other hand you have people who feel like because of "the hype" its their duty to poo poo all over a game.

Can we just let people be excited to have a good videogame in their lives?

It is kinda the entire point of this sub, a place to talk about videogames. Honestly I think discussions about "gamers" and not games shouldn't belong in this sub, those arguments would be better in D&D or CSPAM or something.

Not that you're one of those people making fun of cyberpunk but its just... the signal to noise ratio of major game releases like this gets really, really poor. It becomes endless bickering about what some other nerd might think and that drowns out the actual discussion of like, hey man, this is neato videogame.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSJ8tvdM-FM

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

itry posted:

Ban hype. Not just the word. Ban the idea itself.

The world would be a better place

Alas we cannot control the beast that is Gamers™

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

I suspect that the stock ticker will be reactive to in-game events. Like you can blow up an oil rig or something and future Exxon's stock takes a dip post-mission.

GTA5 did that and it was super neat

Although hilariously they were sure to remove it from GTAO because it was too easy to make money and they wanted you to buy shark cards

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I want room service!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tenacious J posted:

Is there anywhere I can read a good intro/description about the three starting paths? All I’ve seen are a few sentences each.

Do they do more than just provide a few different dialogue options or quest completion shortcuts?

The intro of the game is like a prologue and each path gives you a completely different prologue experience. So the first like 1-2 hours of the game are going to be completely different.

But beyond that, nah its just dialogue options and quest completion shortcuts as far as we've been told.

I guess I'll spoil tag these but its not really big spoilers, just things CDPR have already shown:

Corpo - you start working for Arasaka, a mega-corp, but then things go wrong. You know how the rich people live and can call out corporations in quests in the future. You also probably know more about politics. The Johnny Mnemonic.

Street Kid - you start living the rough and tumble street rat experience, working odd jobs and dealing with gangsters. You know about all the gangs and have some gang connections and are more street smart and savvy about things like drugs.

Nomad - you start living outside the city entirely, in the wasteland. You used to be part of like an outlaw biker gang family that got destroyed. You know all about the nomad families outside of Night City and have more respect and connections with people who don't live there. Fast & Furious meets Mad Max.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is today the day the steam download opens up?

At the time of writing, Cyberpunk 2077 preloads have already begun on Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S – but you’ll have to wait until Tuesday, December 8 until you can preload on PS4 and PS5.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be available for preload on GOG from December 7 at 3am PT / 6am ET / 12pm CET.

Those wanting to pre-load on Steam and Epic Games Store will need to wait until 8am PT/11am ET/5pm CET.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Capntastic posted:

Can you stream on twitch with nudity?

You can, but the game also comes with a nudity filter if you're concerned about running into issues

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

rabidcowfromhell posted:

if I change my xbox console region to NZ or Aus will it let me play early?

Yes I believe Xbox is the one single platform where changing your region can get you earlier access.

On PC you don't have to, and on PS4 I believe that doesn't work.

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's dropping at 12AM GMT so that's when it releases. I think I should be able to play at 4PM on the ninth.

12AM LOCAL TIME for Xbox, so region matters, and changing your region may get you earlier access.

On PC region does not matter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chalks posted:

I'm not a console gamer so I'm not too sure how this stuff works, but given that a load of people are already playing the game because they got their physical copies early... what does this "unlock" time mean for them?

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s when digital players get their version unlocked and when physical players can get the Day 1 patch.

Yeah, its for digital.

Physical release time is whenever you get it in your mitts. Although most stores won't be selling until Thursday. And most digital versions will effectively be out on Wednesday, unless you live in East Asia.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh poo poo that’s awesome. This is like the inverse of last gen in terms of Sony making the better consumer choices and Microsoft was in full lol mode.

I could totally be wrong, but that seems to be how it works. Things could always change though so we'll find out for sure on Wednesday. But on Xbox its definitely worth a shot.

But on PC you don't even have to :) I was ready to go full hacker mode and VPN to NZ but GOG will just unlock at NZ time anyways!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

Holy poo poo @ 30%. That is insane. :stare:

Yeah a lot of people don't know how Steam works.

I tried suggesting people buy through GOG on the last thread and someone laughed at me :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

How would I know what to expect when combat in Deus Ex consisted of 20+ hours of meticulous sneaking, dragging bodies into vents, and maybe about 3 minutes of shooting the final boss in the head over and over with a tranq rifle :confused:

Combat in Cyberpunk can consist of mostly the same things if you want, that's the point. Literally that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Really, though? I assumed this was more of a 'light stealth but you still get into a lot of mandatory combat' type deal and not a 'you can literally ghost every encounter' game. I mean I'd love to be wrong because I loved the flow of DXHR and DXMD stealth but this doesn't appear to be that.

Its not Deus Ex in that there's not going to be many air vents and I don't even know if you can drag bodies or not (probably)

But I assure you its not "light stealth". There's an entire skill tree, like some 40 skills, dedicated to stealth. Half the quickhacks you do are about creating stealth opportunities. You can hack a vending machine to draw an AI off his patrol route. You can hack them to turn their eyes off and run past them. You can hack them to make them start malfunctioning, or hack someone's gun to fire so everybody goes "what's that?" etc. etc. etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Last Call posted:

This can likely be blamed on people not wanting to split up their game collection or download another client.

If you've already got uPlay, Origin, Valve, EGS, then is it really?

No its people like this:

Nondescript Van posted:

don't wanna break tradition so LOL

Oh no they are only gonna make a few billion instead of a few billion plus my other $20

Plus someone ITT was already talking about piracy so some people just don't give a poo poo.

Plus GOG Galaxy is just like Steam and you can put your Steam games in it too, and launch everything from one place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cyberpunk 2077 draws heavily from its source material, with everything from the world itself to the life and death of Johnny Silverhand coming from its pen-and-paper inspiration. But unlike in a tabletop RPG, you aren't playing a role of your own creation in Cyberpunk 2077; you're playing V, and this is V's story, not yours. I often felt like I was role-playing two different characters: one V for the side quests and one more limited V for the main story.

I was kinda afraid of this after watching some of the recent gameplay leaks. It seems like in lots of the conversations between Johnny and V there's not a lot of dialogue choices, its just canned conversation, which means your character ends up saying some things that may not have anything to do with how you were actually roleplaying your character. V seems to be very aggressive and swear a lot whether you like it or not.

No dealbreaker or anything but unfortunate. Again, Disco Elysium has got my hopes for RPG writing way up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gamespot article sounds really good, but is pretty crazy nitpicky.

Compare this to a review for like, the latest Call of Duty where they're just like "hey its a cool shooter game" and its clear they're holding Cyberpunk to a vastly higher standard than most videogames.

sean10mm posted:

Pretty funny to see people who gave Far Cry 5 a 90 crapping on CP2077.

"Video Game Journalism"

I'm almost curious to see what Gamespot wrote about Fallout 4 now

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

My hope is that our experiences wednesday night will be positive and good, that the day 1 patch will fix many of these issues. It will really blow poo poo to have been hyped for this game for 8 years only to have your first impression about it be really negative.

stop saying hype

the game's development length means nothing about owed quality. You're paying $60 and should get $60 worth of game, no more, no less.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah "GTA scale Kamurocho" sounds like all I wanted :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

You’ve got it backwards. We should be holding all game reviews to this standard. The issue is the boilerplate CoD reviews, not this actually good one.

It goes both ways. Expectations have to be realistic. Videogames are still videogames, and different consumers want different products.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hcreight posted:

Jeff Gerstmann is an entertaining watch and has a lot of insight into both games history and the workings of the industry but his game opinions are always very specific to his tastes. His criticisms so far sound valid but they're worth taking with a grai of salt.

Honestly I feel like he hates videogames at this point. I do value some of his insights but drat he always seems miserable when talking about videogames now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

“An abundance of dick” - Jeff Bakalar

New thread title?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CRAYON posted:

I love Jeff Gerstmann. It's amazing how the man can just say words about a thing and people translate it into scathing hate.

Wish I had that power.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Not sure why you spoilered that part of the review, but if they played Cyberpunk 2020/red like that they really missed out. The "life path" system which the 3 separate origins is supposed to emulate is one of the niftier parts of the pen and paper game and potentially forces you to think about your character a little bit more as you have to adapt to whatever changes to the background the dice give you.

This is the start of a cyberpunk red campaign a bunch of esports casters have been running, I've timestamped where they start rolling for lifepath background and events, some end up changing their initial character idea pretty significantly. Back up from the beginning if you like. Its a fun campaign to watch, sideshow basically has wisdom as a dump stat in real life so its always entertaining. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrFVYAnqVug&t=1813s

To be nice? None of this qualifies as spoilers but the Games mod asked people to spoil tag everything so I was trying to accommodate.

If that's how you played Cyberpunk 2020/red I think you missed out. The whole point of tabletop is being able to roleplay anything, not just the 3 dialogue choices given to you by the computer game.

The life paths in Cyberpunk 2077 do not change these aspects of the game, that's the point. You're correcting me but you seem to be uninformed about the very thing you're correcting me on. The pen and paper also doesn't have the life paths that 2077 has, it has different classes which 2077 doesn't have.

But you're really not understanding the complaint it seems like. The issue is No matter how you head-cannon your character, what dialogue choices you pick in side quests, or which life path you pick, there are certain points in the main game story where you're talking to Silverhand and you will always say the same thing, every single person who plays 2077 will say the same thing in those moments, and unfortunately the attitude that V has is not one that will match how everybody was playing their character up to that point

Get it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Slumpy posted:

I don't know what it means when theres too much poo poo "you can do thats not important to the story"

does that mean like, sure you can play yakuza 0 and not do the dancing and karaoke or is it like "you can collect coins that unlock an achievement". because 1 is fun and has songs that i listen to while looking at hentai to immerse myself, the other is for the dopamine "ding" sound that i dont care about cuz i dont have a functioning chemical maker

They're complaining that it has the Fallout 4 issue, that lots of RPGs do.

Where its like "YOUR CHILD IS MISSING, GO FIND YOUR CHILD"

And then you're walking through town and somebody is like "hey mister, wanna help me collect bottlecaps?"

By all logic you should respond "no, my son is missing, gently caress bottlecaps" but that means you beeline the main story quest and skip all side quests. Those side quests however are some of the most cool and fun parts of the game, arguably better than the main story, so everybody instead goes "yeah sign me up lets get those bottlecaps" and your missing possibly dead son gets left behind in some very serious cognitive dissonance.

Its not a dealbreaker by any means but it is a weakness of many RPG's quest / story design.

Cyberpunk is full of side quests including bounty hunting, car races, and just generally helping random citizens do their random life poo poo, but it conflicts with the idea that your character has a very important main story quest they should really be getting around to doing sooner than later.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ymgve posted:

watch this game get banned off Twitch because of too much NSFW content

For the 10th time, the game comes with a nudity filter for this exact reason. You click a box and all the dildos get censored. NBD.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ErrEff posted:

I'm not saying people can't be excited, but maybe go into this knowing that the fabled "day 1 patch" might not be able to quite cover all these issues and that at the end of the day, it's another open-world RPG.

Yeah but we knew that months ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ymgve posted:

I assume the number of pocket pussies in the game will be zero, though. Which I guess means every man in the 2077 world is into rear end play.

There's hookers on every street corner you can hire, I think its just that pocket pussies are too vastly inferior.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sean10mm posted:

The bad reviews I have actually read seem to be bitching about things that make me think they don't even get what the game is trying for in the first place.

If your complaints mostly remind me of other baller games it's not really deterred me from wanting the game. Like not even mad, in a sense that means you wrote your review right.

Bugs are a 100% legit complaint but they're also sadly endemic in these kinds of games.

Yeah, agreed. You also have to keep in mind that this is a big long massive RPG and reviewers had to try to marathon it in like 2 days, which doesn't really help with the experience or pacing.

(course, this is true of reviews of other massive open world games like Red Dead 2 also)

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get this review quote. Since this is a roleplaying game, isn't any side activity, no matter how unrelated, so long it's in the context of the setting, welcome?

That's how I feel too but different strokes for different folks.

I do totally 100% understand the criticism that the main quest story conflicts with the desire to do random odd-jobs though. I hated that in Fallout 4. But its also something I can get over pretty easy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/alex_moukala/status/1336011050869723137?s=20

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That chart is WITH RAY TRACING. Ray tracing costs you like 20-30FPS and is only for high end RTX cards period.

The big takeaway

quote:

Based on what we're seeing, it looks like those recommendations are for 30-40 fps. If you're after smooth 60 fps performance, you're going to need to aim quite a bit higher on the hardware specs (unless the day-0 launch patch provides an unprecedented boost to performance).

We were afraid of this and we were correct; the listed specs are for 30fps target. If you want 60fps bump everything up in demands a bit from the posted chart. (And even more for 120+)

Those specs were crazy forgiving though and people on console don't even notice 30fps :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This is what most people ITT are wondering

1060 manages 37fps, anything better is gonna get 60, that's not bad really. Don't freak out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zikan posted:

interesting note about the big crowds everyone was excited about

.... it is a video game and has to be programmed. So yeah.

Did they expect Cyberpunk 2077 to be Star Citizen?

The teleporting is bugs that will hopefully eventually be ironed out, but having people come from a shared pool of objects and clothes and stuff, like, yeah. That's how videogames do crowds. You can't not.