Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I'll take the over on 180 dildos in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Another 'leak' of info
This seems to be all the perks

So you weren't kidding about the Total Recall and Totaler Recall perks :prepop:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I will be very upset if I cannot kill people in this game with my cyber-enhanced penis

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

fuf posted:

thought I was gonna go nomad but these corpo rationales have me torn again

also I still reeeeally can't decide between keyboard and mouse on a 1440p monitor at my desk or controller on a 4k tv on my couch

I'm going techie nomad. Techie, to see what the crafting system has to offer and to see what the best weapons are in the game between crafted weapons and looted weapons. Nomad, because I feel it fits with techie, and it's like an outsider perspective on Night City. In future playthroughs, it would be harder to be immersed in the whole, "I'm new to Night City, what is all this?"

I'm probably switching between k&m and gamepad, because I can't stand driving with k&m, but aiming is better with it. I might end up just using gamepad though if the aim assist feels really good.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It really does seem like it will be. The worst instincts and choices they made with the Witcher 1&2 but with a AAA budget. Remember this is the company that had a game character get a centre-fold in Poland's PlayBoy.

Just pointing out that the linked article is pure clickbait designed to generate hits from thirsty teenagers. I highly doubt that it is representative of the whole game.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

sean10mm posted:

This doesn't make them immune to criticism for what the finished product ends up being, but uh the entire thrust of the game is to depict a totally hosed up state of futuristic urban decay. Expecting that to be a sanitized place free of ~problematic elements~ is baffling.

It's basically versions of weapons with various interesting gimmicks like machine guns with homing bullets and rifles with IRL wall hacks.

Agreed. People implying that there shouldn't be anything like strip clubs in a cyberpunk dystopian future city because they cater to "chuds", is just :lol:

Tech weapons in this game are actually the weapons that use electromagnetic force to fire projectiles through walls and stuff. The homing ones are called smart weapons. Power weapons can shoot bullets that ricochet off walls.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh FWIW this game will also be on GeForce Now IIRC you still have to own it on Steam, but it’s a way to play it on a 3080 system, assuming you have a good internet speed.

GeForce Now will support GOG as well, but I don't know if it will available at release.

https://mobile.twitter.com/goggalaxy/status/1329430292747202568

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So what’s the earliest PC unlock anywhere in the world?

It's a global release on pc, so no locality will have it unlocked before any other locality. Consoles are midnight local time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1334548241459933188?s=19

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 6, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

So if my wife and I both wanted to share a copy of this game but play it simultaneously on each of our PCs, which is the best purchase option?

I mean, I know we can do Steam family share, though that requires the "host" computer to go into Steam Offline mode to play while the guest is also playing it. Is this our best option?

GOG is definitely better for that use case. You can even download offline installers through GOG, and there's no restrictions like needing guest or host computers.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

weg posted:

My ps4 countdown timer current shows midnight on the 10th. Could this be wrong? I thought it was 7pm on the 9th.

If you look at the bottom-left hand corner of the big yellow map, it says that consoles release the game at midnight local time. The times in the map are only for the pc release.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Slumpy posted:

red dick blue dick

Is that a threat?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yeah I might do mostly MKB and then use a controller for driving around and stuff.

:same:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Merry xmas goons.

I finally 100% the game. I've been avoiding this thread in the meantime to avoid spoilers.

Overall, I thought the story was compelling, and the bittersweet ending of finally ridding V of Johnny's conscience results in strangely missing that rear end in a top hat in V's head. Even though their consciousnesses are technically separated, you get the sense that they both left a lasting impression on one another. The song "Never Fade Away" that was released by CDPR ended up being a perfect summary of the game. The story was a bit condensed, but I think they wanted more people to experience the ending, and shortening the story is perhaps the only way to reliably do that.

I don't understand those who are saying that the story lacks heart or whatever. Those people either haven't played the game or don't understand the storyline.

Combat is amazing varied and fun. I hated how the Witcher 3 basically locked you into a particular playstyle, and was unresponsive to inputs. They completely fixed that in this game and then some.

My main criticism of the game is that while some open world aspects of the game are amazing, other aspects are immersion-breakingly bad. The AI is awful. It is only marginally more dynamic than the AI in the Witcher 3, which was already an extremely low bar. This results in a hollow feeling of interaction that is reminiscent of Novigrad: a city that is beautiful to look at, but only that. It's like window shopping versus actually being in a store. I feel like too many shortcuts were used here. The random spawning of police in plain sight, no police car chases, citizens whose only response is to cower in fear or run away, cars that will sit there forever if their lane in slightly blocked, etc... All of this kind of breaks immersion in an otherwise impressively detailed futuristic city that is the best of it's kind in any open world game.

Another shortcut they used that breaks immersion is when turning around causes all of the randomly generated vehicles and people to drop out of memory, and turning back around results in completely new random vehicles and people
being generated. The weird part is that the vehicles manage to retain their position, however the type of car is re-randomized. I don't understand why it's difficult to keep the originally generated vehicle if the game is already storing the position. This should be a hashable value with the 29 base models of cars with limited modifications, so it would be a constant time lookup, and shouldn't really affect performance much.

Despite those issues, I'll still be replaying it from the beginning even though I've already 100% the game. Mediocre games just never do that for me, so I don't understand all the hate.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Protip for the Arasaka float hacking mission:

Wear the Arasaka Hazmat Suit, and you can walk around in plain sight like you own the place.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh poo poo that's great. Know where I can find one of those? I'll kill a corpo clown to get one. That's fine too.

I found like 10 of the Arasaka Hazmat Suits during my playthrough, but I can't remember where I got any of them (sorry, I usually just spam the F key to collect everything and find stuff in my inventory later).

I didn't know that a bug exists for that mission. I stole the Arasaka van to get into the facility, so that may be what triggers the bug?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

I didn't wear a suit and used the van - all of arasaka guards stayed green and didn't aggro. Guess nothing is suspicious about a van driver climbing the roof into another building and messing about with computers there.
And in the end where roof opens Takemura makes it sound like there's an alarm and you have to run, but there's still nothing of the sort.

Ah okay, that was exactly my experience too. I guess the full body suits don't have any utility other than simply changing V's appearance.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Johnny is both.

He is surface-level cool. He is the underground rock star super badass with looks and charisma to spare. If you didn't know him personally he'd probably look like a badass in a very 80s sort of way.

He is just also an absolute garbage fire of a human being (true to many rock stars to be fair) who has little to nothing in the way of self-awareness, is usually presented as dumb as a brick, seems to find empathy to be a foreign concept most of the time, and his big epic stands against The Man boil down to failing a lot and killing innocent people while doing no real lasting harm to the corps.

The part when he criticizes the moral character of 6th street gang members for their callous disregard for human life was especially hilarious considering that he detonated a nuke in the middle of a city. I get that the character is supposed to be an egotistical jerk, but being blatantly hypocritical like that almost got me to the point where I almost stopped caring about what happened to him at all. In the end, I still cared about him as a character, because he was fairly consistent in his views apart from that particular instance.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but I thought the fact that perks are gated by attribute level is actually a problem. Like I could never get contagion to be super useful because my hacking attribute was at like level 6 and I needed 14 to unlock the next tier of perks and that's a ton of grinding.

The struggle from lvl 1 to around lvl 14 is real. There are very few rare or better rarity items at those low levels, and access to useful combat abilities in basically all skill trees are level blocked. On top of this, the bullet spread in the early levels is so bad that it's better to either melee or shotgun enemies to get any real damage done.

Once V gets to around level 14, the game becomes easy mode even on the hardest difficulty, with all the abilities and cyberware that V can suddenly access.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

shrike82 posted:

I thought Keanu was worse at voicing his character than the actual professional VAs for the other main NPCs :shrug: Doesn’t help that he apparently pushed for a larger role in the game which is a factor in why the game launched in the state it did

I know that she's not a professional VA, but I think Grimes' is the worst in the game in my opinion.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Your character's level makes a huge difference in the boxing fights.

The first flight at near lvl 1 took me around 50 times to beat with my body 3 character.

I finished up the rest of the fights at level 50 with around body 10 and without gorilla arms, and none of the fights took me more than 5 retries to beat without any tricks like weapons or hacking.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I don't understand why there isn't an option for both Johnny and V to go to the digital afterlife. This would be the easiest outcome for Alt to perform, because there wouldn't be any biological complications with the host body rejecting anything. Even if V decides not to keep the original body, it shouldn't necessarily mean that Johnny must take the body.

I guess it is because it's assumed that taking the real body is always the better choice. I suppose that you'd be able to soulkiller yourself anytime you want to be uploaded to the Net. So even if V only has 6 months to live, that's just bonus time in the real world before V has to upload. The only risk is getting flatlined before using soulkiller.

Actually, my choice would be to both uploaded myself as a backup and keep my real body by removing Silverhand. This is basically what Saburo did that prevented him from dying when Kentaro killed him. This choice probably wasn't included because it would trivialize the decision unless you don't trust Alt at all, or have a moral objection to digitizing your consciousness or something.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

Where do they talk about that with Saburo? I remember reading text and e-mails about it, but don't remember it ever being explicit. Is it the Corpo ending? I haven't done that yet

Yes, they go into detail about this in the ending where you help Hanako.

This still doesn't change V's best option though, which is keep a digital backup while living out the rest of the six months in the original body.
It's a shame that this wasn't the real secret ending imo.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I'm inclined to agree, but isn't it possible any backups of V are going to be gobbled up by Alt? I'm personally okay with that, but it might not be what V is into? I also wonder about the other risks of the digital backups. Each backup is essentially it's own sentient being. Would suck if somebody ghostbusted cyber V into a new mikoshi or some other digital prison.

Gently caress. I typed four long paragraphs on my phone only to accidentally erase it when I highlighted everything to put in spoiler tags. I'll just type up a shorter version, which will be faster to read anyway.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the game means by Alt gobbling up their consciousnesses, but that was just Johnny's take on what was said, and his takes are usually just wild presumptions. The game is very vague on these details, and it's unclear if she is copying code or moving code for her own use. The copy operation is the same as the move operation, in that they both copy the original code to a new location, but the move operation adds an additional step of deleting the original code. I don't know how choosing to move instead of copy would be useful to Alt, but who knows in sci-fi land. Still, probably anything would be better than being trapped in a prison and experimented on by a malevolent megacorp.

My understanding is that Alt willingly augmented herself in much the same way that Night City citizens augment themselves with cyberware, to the point where Alt became almost unrecognizable from her original self. She is still Alt, though, at her core. I imagine that V would follow the same path. V could choose to remain static, but remaining static in and of itself is not necessarily better, and people change a small amount everyday anyway. It's just that the rate of change could be potentially much greater without any physical limitations.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Ehh not quite. For Alt the important thing to keep in mind is that the whole reason she was kidnapped was to build Arasaka's version of Soulkiller. Which in the cyberpunk books she had already done before for ITS, the ITS version was really more of a defense against getting their stuff ganked but Arasaka's version was going to be more offensive and actively troll the net seeking out Arasaka's enemies and blowing their brains and sending their conscience to digital hell. In the Cyberpunk books, Alt knows that once she completes Arasaka's Soulkiller, she was going to be the first one on the soulkill list, so she played along initially, got forcibly jacked into the net at gunpoint, and she bides for time looking like she's working on the program while she is actually taking over the security system to kill the guards over her meat body (and also funneling some black project funds to herself). When Johnny and company break in during the VDB flashback the shock of them breaking in allows the Alt's keeper (who at that point was basically hemmed in by the security system Alt had taken over) to pull her plug, trapping her in cyberspace right as Johnny comes to save the day. It plays out a bit differently in game and it's played up that Johnny is an unreliable narrator, so there being multiple versions of the same story can happen.

IIRC without the direct connection to her meat brain, Alt's digital psyche holds together for a bit before it starts breaking down, basically the digital version of Cyberpsychosis. The fact that it even thinks anymore to present itself in the form of Alt is kind of amazing by 2077. What Alt has become is pretty much completely struck of humanity and can't be considered human by any reasonable estimation. This is also alluded to some in-game quests, where they talk about Netrunners disassociating and their consciousness going beyond the blackwall into AI never-never land.

True, the background on how Alt ended up trapped in the Net is completely different than V and Johnny's situation and how they have a choice in the matter. Regardless of the details of how Alt got there, I don't know if that would affect what she became. If Alt, one of the most prolific netrunners the world had ever seen, and one who spent a ton of time in the Net even before the Arasaka nuke went off, succumbed to digital cyberpsychosis due to being separated from her human body, then I guess we can assume anyone in the same situation will have the same fate? I don't know if I like that idea or how cyberpsychosis in general is portrayed as just how much of your body is modified. I don't think that someone having prosthetics necessarily makes them feel less human. I tend to agree more with the Descartes' distinction between the mind and body, in that the mind can retain its humanity independent of the body.

Even though Alt has been in the Net so long that she no longer associates with being human, she would still have the memories of Johnny and Alt. As an intelligent being, I think she would still know to take a human form when she interacts with other humans as she can reference though her memories, just as it is rational to talk to them through language rather than stream a bunch of raw 0s and 1s. It does seem strange that she hasn't retained a shred of humanity despite it probably being beneficial to not completely lose her humanity in order to not lose touch with human tendencies, motivations, etc.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

I’m a madman and am trying to get the all cars achievement. So how the hell do you scrounge up like 1.2M eddies when there’s not much left on the map anymore? I might just cheat for the cash but if there’s something fun to do to get money that would be cool.

I had around 1.6M at the end of the game as a netrunner on the hardest difficulty before I went around buying up all the vehicles. The access points give a lot of cash with the double money from AP perk. I also would collect weapons and stuff to sell when I killed enemies. If you're high level, the game is basically easy mode, and you can kill people extremely fast. So, I would try to get any money-related perks, kill everyone you can find and sell their loot, and look for access points.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Trickyblackjack posted:

I think people tend to forget that both GTA and Watch Dogs also have teleporting psychic cops. Dealing with them was always aggravating for me. I'm sort of glad cops got cut out of Cyberpunk.

Only Driver did it well.

I don't know about Watch Dogs, but GTA has a much better cop system than CP. In GTA, the cops generally spawn out of sight range and can follow you in cars, for instance.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hope they focus on improving the open world aspects of the game and add mod support. But I have a feeling that getting old consoles up to performance standards and keeping it there will prevent CDPR from adding the necessary improvements to AI, and anything else that would require more processing power to create more fleshed out systems.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Trickyblackjack posted:

I should also add that I did not follow the pre-release marketing, so I don't know if GTA open-world cop shenanigans was a feature ~promised~ to us gamers.

I followed the prerelease marketing, and yeah they didn't promise anything and made it very clear that everything is subject to change. The only thing that they confirmed is that there exists a police system, but they didn't give any further details.

Improvements to these systems are just my personal hope for the game. I don't expect it, or claim that it is in scope for their vision of the game. The physics and ai systems, or lack thereof, are getting memed on pretty hard though, and it is something that probably has the most room for improvement.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

TheAgent posted:

It's not hyperbole. I had all kinds of enemies, not just Animals, rush me.

The ones with melee weapons rush you. The ones with guns, and especially snipers, do not rush you.

I know because at the hardest difficulty my character sucked rear end in the beginning, and I kept wishing that snipers or assault rifle users would just bum rush me because it would've made my life a lot easier.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

TheAgent posted:

PC or console? Just asking because it seems like a ton of my issues are console specific.

edit: I had tons of guys with all kinds of weapons come towards me. In fact -- in my playthrough -- almost no NPCs ever actually used cover. See my previous example of the Arasaka assault

I'm on PC.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I would assume a company that makes code for a living would backup every single day? Maybe automatically make a backup every time something is saved? I don't know what I'm talking about but that feels like what should happen.

Yes, they should be using a version control system with multiple copies on the network in case there's a hardware failure anyway.

I mean, from a software perspective this isn't a huge deal. They probably didn't lose any code at all. Also, CDPR already releases their games DRM-free so it's not like releasing code would have an immediate impact. Their games also are only singleplayer so far (except Gwent), so they don't have to worry much about leaked source code affecting live services.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was GOG affected by the hack

Doesn't seem like it. In the tweet, it says "the compromised systems did not contain any personal data of our players or users of our services".

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Hi posted:

My question is, I am into part 2 now and just dumped a bunch of points into quick hacking and crafting so I could make higher rarity hacks and Ive noticed that if I just quick hack contagion it works as I would suspect, but if I breach an npc first, then start loading up the hacks sometimes everyone in the area will just take massive electrical damage and fall dead instantly.

Is that a perk I didnt realize I trained or a function of the breaching or what the hell is going on cause its amazing

I think it's just how breaching works. Once you breach the network's protocol, you're able to spread the hack over the network easily.

And yeah, it's OP when you start spamming hacks through walls and killing everyone remotely.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

TheAgent posted:

thread is gonna go dormant here pretty soon and will be sporadically punctuated with activity once new stuff is released. I like hearing different opinions on the game -- either on console or PC -- and the discussion around whatever is coming in the next 12~ months should be pretty interesting.

right now it seems there is "here's a list of whats broken in the game" and "I really enjoyed this game, maybe play it on PC?" and honestly there's not a whole lot else to talk about because
  • combat is broken
  • NPCs are broken
  • the combat AI is broken
  • combat mechanics are broken
  • the crafting systems are broken
  • the "open world" flavor is broken
  • the storyline even gets loving broken at points
  • bugs are everywhere and
  • since bugs are everywhere, its hard to discuss actual gameplay mechanics
  • the driving loving sucks
and really a lot of us hope that in the next year or so the game fixes this poo poo and gives us something better

I think a lot of us console people are waiting for the next gen patch to hopefully renew our excitement for CP2077, but if you really want an echo chamber of PC master race morons, reddit is pretty easy to get to and all they do is post pretty screenshots and downvote anyone critical of the game

I guess the console versions really suck, because while a lot of the things listed are janky, there's nothing that is broken enough that it completely makes the pc version unplayable.

While the pc version is not broken, it's still far from polished. It feels like they spent the entire last year working on getting console versions to work, rather than iterating on stuff in the pc version. The cop system is literally first pass. There's no way that they spent more than a single day working on that. I know that they would've lost a lot of sales if they did this, but I wish they would've scrapped the last gen versions. The game probably would've been much better at this point if they hadn't wasted so much effort on getting a dense, vertical open world game running on ancient hardware.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

forest spirit posted:

The PC version is straight up broken.

I have been posting semi frequently in the thread about my finding fun just driving my Akira bike through 3 foot wide alleyways.

For reference, I was playing on the version that was available at launch, and I didn't see any of those bugs. I 100% completed the game before the patch came out, so I haven't played the patched version. I did get a total of one crash, but that's not bad considering how many hours I played to 100% the game.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
^^^
Oh man, I considered trying a throwing knife build. Then I threw a knife and realized that I would need to buy or find every knife that I would throw, and immediately gave up on the idea. I'm not sure why they devoted a lot of perks to such a tedious build.

caldrax posted:

For a good portion of the middle section of the game I was using a sniper rifle that shot through walls and I could just ping all the enemies in an area and snipe them from one spot without them ever having any idea what was happening. I had to stop myself, it was just too overpowered and was making it not fun.

I was getting so lazy that half the time I wouldn't even bother getting out of my car before pwning everyone with hax.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 13, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I'm fine with it as long as they treat the current version of the game as an alpha or beta version that people got to play early. I think the game could be much better if they replace the shortcuts they took with better systems, and release these updates for free. This could take quite a long time to realize though, knowing CDPR timelines.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

If you have any hope for the game getting any kind of significant revamp then I highly suggest getting a reality check.

Yeah, I think they will mostly just fix bugs for all the future non-dlc patches. I wish this would only apply for the old gen console versions, but at least try to improve the core game in the other versions.

It's a shame because it shouldn't be too hard to make improvements to some things in the game, considering that there are things that look like they spent a total of one day implementing. It takes CDPR so much time to fix bugs and optimize all the versions of the game, that they wouldn't be able to work on anything else for at least a year. I mean, they shouldn't even think about dlc until they flesh out the core game imo, but whatever.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Speaking of apartments, even in Oct 2020 they still teased us with the idea of a "big house" in this trailer. https://youtu.be/6a8f1TbYb2w

At that time it had already been announced that there would be no additional safe houses.

You actually do get a big house at the end of the game if you choose to live out the rest of your life in Night City. The annoying part is, at the time it's unlocked, we've already past the point of no return and can no longer access the open world, so it almost doesn't even count.

I thought having a second house with your romantic interest is cool. They need to fix the bug that prevents you from accessing your stash from there though, because without that, there's zero point in ever going there.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Software versioning (eg git) makes restoring to any version of your software quick and easy. Not sure what kind of convoluted process CDPR is using..

Having people send in their machines does take some time though as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I think the part that took the most time is not restoring, but rather investigating what happened and reevaluating their opsec to make sure that they don't get hacked again.