Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is there a decent, non-sketchy save editor for CP2077? I've already finished it once, and skipping a little grind would be nice.

Just manually editing the .json save files doesn't seem to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

v1ld posted:

The Respector mod lets you add quest completion facts on the fly to your save. I never tried that part of the mod out, but can vouch for how well written the mod is - definitely one of the better ones out there.

I'm mostly just looking to add money and stats. Like skip the grind to get technical skills and crafting up, that kind of thing. It's not a huge deal as I enjoy the game well-enough still, and since it's a second playthrough have a better idea how to grind, anyway.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd say Far Cry 5 was good except for how the main storyline railroaded you into an excessively grimdark edgelordy storyline. Bioshock Infinite was a similar case where a game with good mechanics and visuals was brought down by atrocious writing.

CP2077 suffers from having the main storyline so disconnected from the rest of the world, where I can just spend days skipping time outside a shop to have their inventory refresh when I supposedly have this urgent task to complete/Johnny mind-virusing me into oblivion. Like, I don't actually want to be forced to rush through it and don't much care for timed sequences, but at least give me a semi-justifiable rationalization as to why I am grinding random encounters to level up instead of advancing the plot.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I wish CP2077 had a New Game + option. I like being able to replay a game with a lot of the grind already done so I can explore other options and focus on getting achievements, and miss it when the option isn't there.

New Game + in some games also just feels better. I've always found it kind of ridiculous when you're playing a game that is set up like "you are the Chosen One, a force to be reckoned with, destined to change the world!" and then is like "here's a kitchen knife, go kill 1000 rats."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

There was a great post from a cyberpunk dev that said you should not enjoy cdpr games like this, it was quite funny.

LOL, I haven't seen it, but it sounds like a "You're having fun wrong!" thing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

I can imagine they want to release as much as possible in one big burst as a kind of soft relaunch, so I expect we'll get the next-gen update and the first story DLC at the same time.

Curious to see how they handle a post-game story DLC though, given that there isn't technically a post-game at all, it just puts you right back at your point-of-no-return save. Are they going to make you do the ending again to access a DLC that takes place after the story?

A few of the endings leave things open for continuing adventures. Not sure if I should spoil them or not, but several endings I can think of would easily provide a jumping off point for the further adventures of [character].

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Play posted:

No reason why V has to or should be involved in the sequel, a fresh start in the same universe makes more sense to me.

DLCs will have to though so I do wonder how they'll work that. I assume once you get magically phased back in after beating the final mission they'll take place then.

I do have gripes about the final mission though as well. It's too drat easy. I didn't even 100% it, I left many missions and other things undone, and I still crushed it on hardest difficulty. I am thinking I might go back and give some of the other endings a try, specifically the one which is supposed to be hardest where you just plow straight in to the tower and start killing everyone.

I think I did all the endings, but missed doing one specific thing in my first playthrough so didn't get a specific achievement for one of them. I figure I'll do that now I'm on my second playthrough. Unfortunately it was my least favorite ending, but :shrug:.

Oh, I guess there was at least one other ending I missed, which I want to do if it doesn't trip an achievement.

If nothing else my completionist tendencies mean I get a lot of hours out of games I even moderately like.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

One of my most constant but very mild annoyances are items which show up with a flag that I can pick them up, but then don't in fact let me pick them up. Euros that sit there taunting me, impossible to interact with despite the flag appearing over them. Untouchable guns. Non-corporeal Maxdocs. Occasionally if I break something nearby or move a body I can recover them, but most of the time they just sit there, mocking me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I wouldn't say CP2077 is bad, but there is definitely a lot of missed potential.

I have mild completionist tendencies, so it's serving me well to the extent that I'm getting hours of entertainment as I knock out more and more achievements. A New Game + mode would really have been appreciated. Even a Chapter mode where I could jump back to a specific mission would be good.

As it stands I think the game CP2077 reminds me the most of is Fallout 4, which had a certain similar detachment between story missions and everything else. Fallout 4 had more cool stuff to find exploring, though, and despite CP2077 having a pretty good-sized open world it mostly feels empty.

Oh, and it finally dawned on me why I find the children in CP2077 creepy - most of the models seem to be just tiny adults, like their proportions are adult-sized, just with child voices. Especially when they are just wandering around with the rest of the crowd.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems more a side effect of both a) using prefabs everywhere to kit things out, and said prefabs seem to often complex ones, and b) kitting out roofs for eventual or possible flyover scenes or vantage points that may look over it.

I mean, I scaled up a high rise near the China town market area, because the roof overhangs allowed for it with double jump, and so there I'm like 50+ floors up where there's supposed to be absolutely nothing and no reason for any details, and there's heaps of trashbag piles, broken sofas and HVAC all over the place.

Yeah, I've done a fair amount of this, and it's an area where they really could have benefited from a Fallout kind of approach of neat little things you can run across which don't do anything other than to add narrative depth. Weird little set pieces, story fragments unconnected to anything else, visually cool stuff.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

https://www.giantbomb.com/functional-mirrors/3015-4618/

apparently a list of "most games"

Mirrors are incredibly complicated and expensive, though the cost is likely going to come way down with this next gen of video cards. The more detailed and heavy your world is, the harder mirrors are to do. I'm not claiming that they are a miracle of engineering, but they aren't simple nor ubiquitous.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood had functional mirrors and reflections - good ones, as I recall. I really liked that game, but I'm not sure how common that opinion is.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I played Shadowrun 1e and the they went heavily into lore and explanation, and UGE and Goblinization were mostly used to highlight racism and treated it as a bad thing. Being a troll or elf or orc in Shadowrun is more like a mutation than a race, although it's canon that old-school racism shifted toward metahumans instead of human ethnicities. There were black elves, white orcs, asian trolls. It was the mutation that was the point of bias, not the ethnicity.

I understand and don't disagree with the problematic nature of racial bonuses/limits in general, but I think Shadowrun is not the best example to use to demonstrate it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Last night I had a visit from the guy flying the invisible jet. He was cruising about 15 feet over the street and then shot off at an angle through a building. :discourse:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CP2077 should add an ending where you decide to take over Night City and have to set up settlements like in Fallout 4, build a network of forts, stave off attacks by gangers and cops, secure the different neighborhoods, and become King poo poo of Night City.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Robobot posted:

They hired an actor that's kinda known for being not a great actor. I like Keanu just fine and I don't think he flubbed the role or anything, but did adding him really add anything to the game as a whole?

He was okay, but I thought he was like way too laconic and chill to be a revolutionary. A lot of his dialogue is tonally inconsistent, and he often just seems to be a dick for no reason. He also never seems to espouse a coherent ideology, which kind of detracts from the whole revolutionary rock god thing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Welp, patch 1.23 applied last night and after playing for an hour or so I had the first crash I've had in weeks. Huzzah.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sebmojo posted:

yeah. There were some really good scenes, the combat is fun, the city is great, just lol if you bought it on console, never preorder a cdpr game again even if u live to be a thousand.

I pretty much make it a rule to never preorder a game, period. I've only done it maybe once or twice, and it was a mistake.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

the whole thing about pining for an rpg that has consequential choices or whatever is kind of bullshit and misses what people really want and do. like in the mass effect 2 suicide mission do you really let Garrus die and then go with that save file into mass effect 3? no you looked up the scene on YouTube and then found the guide on who to stick in the vents etc.

I only check guides and walkthroughs after my first playthrough of a game, unless I get horribly stuck, at which point I blame the game instead of myself. Having your choices affect outcomes is good storytelling, and handwaving it away as inconsequential strikes me as a weirdly extreme position.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ironslave posted:

Was talking to a friend and they summed up Cyberpunk's gameplay pretty aptly: the game has all the mechanical depth and functionality of a 10-20 dollar game that some small studio would throw onto Steam, with all the polish and visual flare of a AAA game. So we end up with this tremendously well-designed and visually-impressive city with a large soundtrack and some impressive performances by the VAs and mocap performers, but also end up unable to shoot from cars, with Perks that are interesting ideas but of no use or value to the game itself (throwing knives and Commando come to mind), and an Elder Scrolls skill-leveling system which is so lopsided you'd think someone would've caught it at some point in development.

I'm working on knocking out the achievements, and in the last day or so I got the one for killing or incapacitating 3 enemies by doing a superhero landing with Berserk activated. It is the rarest achievement, at 1.6% of players. I think that is a pretty clear example that they developed a whole branch of cyberware that almost nobody uses outside those weirdos like me who will get all completionist about a game.

I mean, Berserk is fine, but compared to just dropping everyone with Quickhacks it just isn't that great. It seems to have 2 use-cases: A - get the achievement, B - it makes the boxing matches trivial (I haven't tried the last boxing match yet on this playthrough, but will see if Berserk basically lets me cheese it).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

The older I get, the less I want this; I can't spend 10 years replaying the same game to see every outcome anymore, just give me a good story on the first try imo (or if you must have branching paths, make it easy to look up on youtube).

I loved Alpha Protocol back in the day but I doubt I'd get as much out of it if it came out now

e: i say, booting up ME legendary edition

I think there is a happy medium. I think Fallout New Vegas went too far into the branching storyline thing, and I tapped out after like 3 playthroughs, I think.

Give me branching storylines, and give me save points before significant decisions so I can go through different branches without starting from scratch. CP2077 actually does mostly okay on that latter point, although the options after completing your first playthrough could really, really use some improvement. NG+ and a chapter select would go a long way.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cyberpunk 2069: The Pre-sequel

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I thought the new patch was supposed to reduce identical NPCs, but I had twin hookers show up out in the badlands/wasteland last night. I didn't screenshot it because the lighting was bad and it's possible it was intentional.

I have been screenshotting what seems like an increased problem with people/cars sinking a foot or two into the ground. Like up to their knees in the floor of a ripper's clinic.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm fine with how much I paid for the game, because I waited until it went on sale before buying it, and it wasn't a long wait.

And the technical issues I've run into with it aren't really worse than I've run into with other AAA PC games.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

This does happen but in no way in the light of what it sounds like. Really I was surprized when it happened myself. I can give this game alot of poo poo but they really do send bounty hunters out for you.

Are you talking about something other than the increasing Wanted levels and teleporting cops here?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

In some parts of the city they replace the cops that teleport behind you to afterlike mercs that act and sound exactly the same but their not police.

Huh. I have mostly tried to avoid triggering the police because it is an annoying waste of time for the most part, so it's possible I haven't seen that or just missed it.

I have fought Maxtac, though - sometimes they will be mixed in with regular police, and I think I've run into them out in the wasteland. Last night I had an annoying thing out in the wastes where at some intersections there's two Militech soldiers, sometimes with a drone, and I habitually stop and take them out. At one of these intersections it was one Militech soldier and, for no apparent reason, an NCPD officer. I had a vehicle so running away from the police was fine, but it was still weird.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

take boat posted:

falling through the ground into the void in the badlands, re-spawning above the ground, then falling back through again in an infinite loop was funny

I've only found one place where I could make this happen, and it was in some building near the river/waterfront. Opening the door I could see that things weren't rendering right, and I was pretty sure I would fall through the level geometry if I went in, so I saved the game before going inside. Sure enough, I fell through the world, died, respawned in some weird fractal-looking place and fell through the world to my death again. A couple go-arounds and I booted the save I'd made beforehand.

Overall I think I've had fewer crashes with CP2077 than I had with Metro: Exodus. And the bugs really don't seem far off from Fallout 4 or other AAA games I've enjoyed and played the poo poo out of.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I paid $47.99 for it on Steam, and I feel okay with that - I'm a sucker for FPS open world stuff. I do feel better that I got it at a discount, because the hype-train was ridiculous and I have an aversion to spending full price for games.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fellatio del Toro posted:

i liked beelining the turret breach protocol skill and there are like 5 places in the entire game with turrets and theyre all on the perimeter facing outward so they wont even shoot anything

There's lots of turrets in the game - they're actually pretty common, if not much of a threat most of the time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was pretty meh about Jackie. He was okay, but not great.

I was thinking about it, and I think that Judy was the character with the best character development in the game. She had the most complete backstory and most nuanced personality out of all the ones I can think of, and I like the voice acting for her in a game that has lots of good voice acting.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sean10mm posted:

They're dire.

I did like wandering around Fallout 4 doing random poo poo and building elaborate towns out of garbage for some reason.

Agreed. I built settlements so big the Phenom II I was running at the time would just chug. I can't remember which one I built to the highest population, but I broke 100 on at least one, maybe more. And collect power armor for these massive displays. And set up mannequins to display outfits like a creepy phantom army.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Update on the final boxing match on this playthrough: Dropping a weapon in the ring didn't work, and even with Berserk it was bit of a pain to win, but I did win this time. Still took me 5 or 6 reloads to figure out his pattern and pull it off, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't played The Outer Worlds yet, but I will get to it at some point. In confusingly similar named games news, I tried Outer Wilds a while back and bounced off of it. It felt like it assumed you were playing with a controller, and the cutesy esthetic grated on me.

I like all the Shadowrun games, and found that editing saves made Returns in particular more manageable.

I'd like to see CP2077 get some DLC with some actual meat to it, and a few minor changes could improve it a lot. The absolutely stingy amount of Legendary clothing seems like a stupid and fixable oversight. I mean, why shouldn't I be able to dress how I want instead of having to choose between the 2 or 3 pieces of clothing with the maximum amount of customization slots? Let me craft more slots onto existing clothing, or just have every piece of clothing rotate through having the maximum options. I hate that my choice of hats is limited to 4 options, as I recall - a dorky headband, a dorky helmet, a cowboy hat, or a weird pink pilot helmet. What the gently caress?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It's definitely weird how they establish Netrunners as some kind of huge threat and then the only thing that ever happens is somebody burns you for a small amount of damage every now and then.

And once you get burn resistance not even that.

On my first playthrough it took me a while to figure out what was going on - like where am I taking damage from? Then I got burn protection and forgot about it entirely.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cyberpunk 2077's launch is pretty high up there in terms of failures if only because of the loving relentless hype that had built up. "OMG Keanu!" "Graphics so intense they will literally suck you off!" "More immersion than real life!"

The commitment to releasing on all platforms at the same time also made it a stupid and ugly event. Had they staggered the launch (which is hardly unusual) they probably could have avoided a lot of agony.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Unless something else has happened all they did was bump the radius they spawned into up by like 20 meters? It's still exactly the same system.

Is there any in-game explanation of why cops are not hackable? At one point I remember thinking maybe the cops are required to NOT have implants so they are more secure, but River obviously has implants, and the ubiquity of eye implants would suggest the cops just have magic anti-quickhack armor. I found a thread on the CDPR forums that basically covers that same ground:

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/bug-oversight-report-cant-use-quickhacks-on-ncpd.11068325/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Doesn't mean they kept working on them after it came out. Both Andromeda and Anthem were huge AAA games that got cancelled after release and whatever DLC they might have developed prior to that got scraped.

Gearbox's Battleborn was a recent fairly big failure, but like the game itself wasn't noticed by a lot of people. They dropped a AAA game and almost nobody cared.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

After a couple of playthroughs I think perhaps the biggest shortcoming in the game is how divorced the main storyline is from the side content, and how it seems like there was probably an intent to have the side content be more coherent but it got abandoned in crunch mode.

All the fundamentals are there for a faction-based conquest kind of mode, with the city broken up into districts with a specific gang controlling each. Being able to take control of a neighborhood, establish a headquarters, have random events like gang incursions or police raids and such. Similarly, if you have negative reputation with a faction they would be more likely to show up and aggro you if you were in their district, instead of everyone ignoring you until you shoot them in the head.

As it stands, nothing you do matters. I kill dozens of Valentinos, just absolutely massacre them, and the end result is nothing changes. I faceroll every gang member I see, nothing changes. I take out scads of Arasaka troops and mechs, nothing changes. I shoot a cop, it suddenly becomes a wave survival shooter, until I run away, and nothing changes.

I feel like a reputation system was intended, but got scrapped in the interest of rushing the release.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't played any Elder Scrolls games so the derail is kind of meaningless for me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"Actually Judy and V are to blame for Evelyn's suicide."
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That is one of the biggest glaring omissions in the game - not even a nod to a pacifist playthrough.

I habitually ran with nonlethal weapons and quickhacks partly because that was generally more efficient in Deus Ex games, and partly because it just feels better to me somehow. But it made no difference on anything other than cyberpsychos. Well, or a couple of missions where you actually had to kill the target, which led me to discover that double-jumping and landing on someone was an effective way to execute them. The way the game handles death is just utterly pointless for the most part. Having lethal versus nonlethal takedowns is essentially pointless, and the places where killing versus incapacitating actually matters are few and far between.

As far as I can tell the game doesn't keep track of most of the stuff you do - no log of kills, takedowns, gun most used, accuracy, or anything else. That also feels like a huge omission, even if for the most part that stuff is only mildly interesting.