Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm looking forward to checking the game out once its next-gen upgrade patch hits, but honestly the one piece of criticism that gives me the most concern comes from Rob Zacny's review:

quote:

But while Cyberpunk has evidently given a lot of thought to how its setting would change the nature of sex and sex work, you rarely see that consideration matched with other parts of the setting. The politics of the world remain distant and hard to parse: private corporations run just about everything that used to be a public good, but how does that change daily life? You live in a world of widespread environmental devastation, but you don't get much sense of the hardship that would cause. You see people running around with all manner of augmentations, but why? The Deus Ex games at least made a point of understanding how cybernetics and enhanced prostheses would change the nature of labor, but Cyberpunk seems a bit iffy on its vision outside of the potential to turn people into living blow-up dolls.
He likes the game overall, it just sounds like a pretty good straightforward crime thing rather than a genuinely subversive exploration of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

How's everyone approaching their starting attribute points? My instinct is to add one point to each attribute, then either max one out or bump two attributes by one additional point.

Ideally my first character will be a generalist, trying a bit of everything but leaning towards climbing/jumping to explore, opening doors and terminals (but not relying on hacking in combat), and using a pistol or rifle. So I'm thinking +2 Reflexes and Technical, and +1 everything else.

EDIT: Of course this was posted while I was typing. Nevermind!

Gamerofthegame posted:

you get a more ability points in level ups and skill trees require, for instance, like 11+ to unlock everything so you get quite a few, don't worry about it i m o

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I'm surprised there's no way to disable the screen darkening effect when you're stealthing. It's always bizarre when an entire game looks slightly worse to remind you that you're crouching, as if the fact that your eyeballs are at crotch level isn't enough.

It's not a huge deal and they have much bigger things to tackle, but I hope a toggle is added at some point.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Why in the world is TAA on by default, with no way to disable it in game?

It looks like that's the cause of a lot of the game's fuzzy look, and a cause of odd ghosting/artifacts. I wonder if it's also baked into the console releases.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

This game is such a 50/50 split of good and bad qualities. For every moment that pulls me in there's something that pulls me out due to poor design or flat/bad writing or the feeling that this incredibly dense location means nothing because my tools as a player (and the ability for the game to notice them) are so limited. I'm not even counting the bugginess because I figure that will be resolved in time.

Thankfully almost every valid complaint I've seen in here has been expertly countered by:

- "The AI shouldn't be better because this isn't real life"
- "I'm playing Cyberpunk, not an imaginary miracle game I came up with in my head"
- "Maybe that's a flaw but how much does it matter this game's so big"
- "If you thought it would be better it's your fault, not the marketing or """"Game$$$ Journali$t$"""" (see what I did with those quotes because they aren't journalists and they are paid big sacks of cash???)"
- "Anyone that doesn't like this probably was probably expecting it to be a very specific thing that I'm making up now, as opposed to the very specific thing that lets me decide all the parts that work are what matter and all the parts that don't work are incidental"

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I genuinely love that your character's body model is present, can be seen if you look down, and seems to be factored into movement to some degree. It reminds me so much of Trespasser that it creates an expectation of being able to do some crazy physics poo poo, though.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a "health represented on boob cyberware" mod at some point.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

sharknado slashfic posted:

Can anyone tell me why the little loot box shows up on the lootables I scan sometimes and not others?
This is annoying. Also, I come across a LOT of lootable objects (with the loot box icon) that I simply can't get any sort of prompt for, no matter what angle I come at them from, or crouch, etc.

Scanning for and picking up objects is just about the only interaction we have with this environment, so not even being able to reliably do that is a bummer.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

fennesz posted:

I keep seeing people give opinions like this. My question is: why are you playing an open world game then? There are literally thousands of linear story driven sci-fi games out there. Go play them.
I would genuinely argue that this isn't an open world game. It's Mafia 2 all over again, in that you can technically walk around and drive through the world, but it serves very little purpose. It just happens to have a lot of detail and look very nice.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Josh Sawyer/Rope Kid posted some thoughtful critiques. First, the UI:

quote:

I need to actually play around with the inventory and other interfaces in CP2077 more to do a full critique of them, but I think there are two root problems from which most other UI/UX issues stem:

1) Inconsistent and/or unexpected control mapping for keyboard and mouse, which feels like a consequence of designing and playing with controllers exclusively/dominantly until late in development. M3 and keystrokes are not the same as 3rd and 4th face buttons on a controller, but controls have to go somewhere.

2) Overloaded controls. Sometimes designers develop controls to give equal access to every interaction at a given point. That’s usually not good, because every interaction doesn’t have equal importance, frequency, or even similar use cases. When you force the controls to support every interaction you could possibly want to do at a single point, the mapping gets complicated, crowded, and unwieldy.
Then, he articulates why the perks and loot have largely been unsatisfying for me:

quote:

You have a rifle that does 100 DPS. You take a perk that increases damage from cover by 10%, so that goes up to 110 DPS. Unless the per-shot damage increase from the perk results in fewer bullets to take out an enemy, that is completely imperceptible. Then, after taking that perk, you upgrade to a different weapon, which becomes your new baseline inclusive with the perk. So if you take another perk that increases damage by 10 or 15% under certain circumstances, you’re not comparing its efficacy to the old rifle, before you took the first perk. The delta will feel the same, i.e. inconsequential, especially if enemies gain HP at a rate that matches your progression.

All of this amounts to a linear “ramp” incline where your numbers go up but the feeling of efficacy/”time to kill” is largely the same and you’re not usually gaining any new mechanics or different ways to engage with the content. I prefer less frequent, more impactful upgrades that do not directly overlap with how content (i.e., enemies) progresses. Classic AD&D has this feeling, as does Fallout 1. There are a lot of things I wouldn’t want to emulate from those classic games, but I still really feel they have a better sense of progression, especially in the 4-12 level range.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I don't buy the notion that most people who don't enjoy the game are at fault for believing hype or wanting an entirely different game or whatever.

I played the Witcher games and hadn't seen anything about Cyberpunk but that one tone-setting trailer from some E3. If anything I came in willing to overlook more flaws than usual because of the troubled development. I let the game set my expectations as it introduced systems which ultimately wound up being fundamentally flawed. From the Deus Ex elements to the skill system to the loot, everything that seems like it has potential turns out to be poorly designed and seemingly thoughtless.

The environment is amazing and the story mostly lands. Unfortunately those things don't exist in a vacuum, and every part of the game that surrounds them undercuts their potential. No matter how many amazing sights there are in the world, they are just sights, and I spend most of my time wishing I could do anything remotely interesting in them.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I hope they fix the issue where you simply can't interact with like 1 in every 10 or so lootable objects. That's the one bug that went beyond comedic and straight into "I can't really play this" for me. From what I can tell it's an issue with objects slightly clipping through the floor.

When that's addressed I'll finally finish my first playthrough, then come back once the next gen update hits and they've (hopefully) reworked the UI, skills, crafting, armor system, etc.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Yeah, Spore and NMS were pretty much what they intended to be at launch. Cyberpunk is hosed up in the same way Mass Effect Andromeda was, and feels like the video game equivalent of busting out a paper ten minutes before it's due. For every good thing there's something missing, or gestured at then not explored, or crammed in place with no consideration for the whole.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

Anything else been released on console lately? Because it genuinely seems like apart from Fallout 4 and TOW, Cyberpunk is the only recent game in town for this sort of experience, and both of those have their own significant flaws. Anything else out there that I've missed?
If you trade the open world requirement for "medium-to-large incredibly designed levels", Arkane's Prey and Dishonored games tick all the boxes for me. Interesting settings, mostly solid stories, great gameplay, with lots of choices in narrative, character build, and moment-to-moment action that all add up to a greater whole.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I personally stopped playing when I realized that beneath the funny bugs there were a lot of features that were either fundamentally broken, missing, or hideously designed. Since I liked the presentation of the world design and some of the narrative stuff I intended to come back when those core issues were dealt with. As time went on it became apparent that the current game is pretty much what we're getting for the foreseeable future, and I don't really feel compelled to reinstall.

My experience isn't going to match everyone's, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of people holding out for a better first time playthrough that will likely never come.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

There's not much to sword swinging in Skyrim but using a shield is pretty satisfying. Timing blocks, knocking enemies off balance, disarming them, slowing down time, knocking down enemies by sprinting with your shield up. Feels good.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I've been super critical of this game but the problems absolutely stem from management and above. This was a BioWare-level failure in which the project spun its wheels for a looong time, then only ramped up into full development long after everyone assumed.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I genuinely think the game would have been better off if CDPR had explained away some of its half-baked features with in-game lore.

Make all cars self-driving (like someone suggested earlier) so everything literally runs on a track and there's no expectation of car jacking, traffic AI, etc. Riding as a passenger and taking in the city is one of the coolest things in the game anyway. Maybe a Nomad could drive off-road outside the city, but get snapped back to the grid and lose control when they approach a road. That last one is a stretch but it would be a fun bonus to make the background unique.

Get rid of the cop spawning altogether, and make it so that when you run away from police you hear barks like "They're heading towards (other district), not our problem anymore" or "We don't get paid enough for this, screw it".

hosed up skills that don't work the way they should, or work at all? Hey, this cybernetic stuff is experimental and dodgy!

Have NPCs approach arcade machines and wonder aloud why they can't play them. Overhear people in the street remarking upon the latest raid that shut down all barber shops in the city. When you approach a lootable item that you can't pick up (I genuinely can't believe this still hasn't been fixed), have V say, "Must be seeing things."

EDIT: You could also overhear the fact that a very common implant stimulates the cerebral cortex when there is danger, causing people to cower in the exact same way at the exact same time.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 13, 2021

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

That image is a png, but when you think about it what is a png? It's just 1s and 0s, which are used in all sorts of things. Therefore it signifies nothing.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Euphoriaphone posted:

What do you think the reception would have been if the game was never released on last-gen consoles? I haven't played any version of it, but the impression I've gotten is the next-gen and PC versions run ok-to-decent (though the PC version is horribly unoptimized), and the bugs are bad but nothing worse than a Bethesda release. I was tempted to buy it at release because I thought playing with the jank might have been fun, and I have a beefy enough PC that I'm not worried about playing a stuttering mess.
I have only played on PC and Xbox Series X, and while it's nowhere near the mess that PS4 is, the game is still full of bugs, bad AI, bad design, and unfinished or ill-considered bits.

It genuinely stinks because there are worthwhile things in there, but the flaws really get in the way.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Honestly, there doesn't seem to be much bad faith criticism of the game in this thread. I absolutely hate it when people think they're funny for posting negative garbage that contains zero humor. The ratio of lovely drive-by snark to genuine criticism seems fine.

Even when some of the posts veer into speculation or armchair game design, it seems obvious that's coming about because the game almost connected with them in some way (so people care) but fell short (so people try to figure out why, or imagine what it would have taken to land). I'd argue the dismissive "sorry this isn't the dream game you imagined, if you didn't like it that's your fault" posts are at least as bad as anything dumping on the game.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

quote:

Fixed a number of issues related to wrong or missing contents of lootable items
If this actually lets me loot everything that gives me a loot prompt, I will be so happy. That was genuinely the straw the broke the camel's back and made me stop playing.

There are still many many problems with the broader design of the game and its systems, but it's good to see a significant number of smaller bug-type problems being addressed.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

no and its pretty loving sad tbh since that's been in games since the OG xbox
It's bizarre how small touches like that are missing in so many modern games, and people are so eager to handwave them away as if they don't matter.

Games feel way more interesting and fun when you can knock poo poo off tables, shoot out tires/windows/etc., nudge objects by walking into them, leave footprints, and generally have the environment act in expected ways.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

So is the game fixed and is good yet? Or is it still massively broken? I’m wondering when’s a good time to buy this game, last I heard they had a game plan to make this game good in a year? I think?

Or is it one of those cases where the game itself even after they fix everything is ‘meh’?
A bunch of minor bugs have been fixed. The problems with the game's broader design and skill systems are still unresolved and won't be addressed any time soon, if at all.

Lots of people are able to look past the flaws and enjoy the good stuff (and there is good stuff to be found in the characters, story, and world design) but for people like me the flaws still hang over the entire experience.

Your choice of platform matters too, as the PC is the most complete version and there's still no next-gen edition on Series X or PS5.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Alpha Protocol is genuinely great and short enough to encourage playing through multiple times, at which point you will be floored by how many seemingly minor things are taken into account. Going with a pistol build and that silly chain execution skill is silly and fun.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I resumed my save, and this patch note:

quote:

Fixed multiple issues related to V not being able to interact with lootable items.
is unfortunately not the miracle I hoped it would be. I have been able to loot every body and every container. Which is great! But when it comes to static objects on the ground with a loot icon, I'd say one in ten is still unlootable. It seems to be a problem with certain objects just clipping into the ground, which might require someone to raise those spawn points one by one.

In the interest of being positive, I'm reminded of some things beyond the obvious high points (the game world, most character work and story beats) that I like:

- Contagion is just plain fun. In the early levels it's a blast to hide and repeatedly infect a group of idiots while they twitch in pain and yell out their barks at me. I feel like an Affliction Warlock from WoW in an outfit that is somehow more amazingly hideous. I just wish the power curve wasn't so ridiculous and it remained as tense as it does in the beginning.

- Looking down and seeing your body rules. It suggests that your body is a real, awkward thing in this place, and while the game doesn't really do much with physics I do like it.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I tend to enjoy motorcycles (and mopeds!) more in games anyway, but being able to see more in first person is definitely a plus in Cyberpunk.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

The idea of a Cyberpunk sequel is genuinely weird. Most of the game's charm comes from the city itself, and now that we've seen it there's not much appeal in double-dipping. Maybe going to another location could work, but because the bar has been set so high in this aspect, carving out an equally interesting place seems like more of a challenge.

It's not impossible, they'd just have to come up with one heck of a hook.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I resumed my save to finish the story, and two things drove me to uninstall instead:

1. Every time I interact with or think about the skill system it bums me out. The entire thing is so sloppy, devoid of genuinely rewarding character-building options, and full of things that either don't work conceptually or don't work as in "this actually does not work".

2. I jumped on a dumpster (as one does) and immediately fell through the world. Less than a minute after quickloading I jacked in to an access point, and when I completed it my character was stuck. My arms were out and plugged into the point, and I could not move or do anything at all.

Canonically, my V will spend the rest of her life tethered to an access point fifteen feet away from a warp pipe dumpster, only able to look around about 30 degrees in any direction and lean sideways a bit. A fitting end.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Traditional game coverage has all sorts of issues, but it's funny that streamers/YouTubers/etc. are way softer and routinely do actual PR for larger audiences while pretending to be genuine and somehow receive way less vitriol.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1388092768350875658
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1388093904839450624

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Got a press release about PS4 availability. In 15+ years I have never received a piece of promotional material with a caveat quite like the asterisk bit at the bottom.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Ha, I was just about to post that my expectations are low, and at the bare minimum they'll announce the next-gen patch with a few technical fixes. I'll finally start over on the Series X and try to complete a playthrough.

More than anything I'm hoping for a thorough revamp of the skills. The last time I played there were still a number of things that either didn't work at all, didn't work how you'd expect, or didn't feed into the way you actually play the game in a way that felt like actual character progression.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Yeah, my issue with the skills doesn't have anything to do with difficulty. I want them to add flavor to the playstyle I invest in by adding something interesting to my toolkit, introducing variety to the things I do a zillion times.

In my ideal version of this game all damage and defense would come from equipment, and skills would purely let me feel more like a certain kind of character.

EDIT: I also just realized I was using the term "skills" when I was also thinking of perks.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 15, 2022

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One of the few things I absolutely love about this game is the absurdly ugly outfits you wind up slapping together. Looking like an idiot is great.

I'd love to pull back to a third person perspective during some of the more emotionally charged cutscenes to see my lady staring blankly, her body swimming in the garish dumpster duds variety pack.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I don't remember if motion blur is on by default, but disabling that might also help.

I'm pretty sure I disabled all the stuff in that special effects menu. Especially chromatic aberration.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

When people nitpick about small details like water displacement and shooting tires, I think it speaks to a larger issue of wanting to feel like you're interacting with this amazing world, performing actions that have any impact at all. The number of verbs the player has is very small. Shooting is one of them, so if you shoot a thing you want the thing to behave in an expected way. When it doesn't that amplifies the feeling of being disconnected from the world.

GTA gets brought up because (to varying degrees) those similarly large urban games do put in an absurd amount of effort to model the small interactions that make you feel like you can experiment and goof around.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Has anyone else noticed billboards/posters/tvs being much lower resolution on Series X than they were before this patch? They're so pixelated and blurry that they look like the first stage of an old-school Unreal Engine pop-in, but they never get better.

It's funny how much it bothers me, but that stuff goes a long way to selling the ambiance of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

The last time I gave this game a shot there wasn't a natural way to level Athletics at a halfway reasonable rate. Did that get cleared up?